If two real smart career oriented people

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
have kids, we know that the odds there kids will be that was is increased ? Here is my question is it more genes or interest in things that matter ?

It's mostly the fact that the child of two professionals likely has a higher level of "social capital" than children in other situations. Greater financial means, assumed expectations of college attendance, access to role models who are also professionals, access to referrals for job opportunities, internships, references, etc. It's a cycle that repeats itself.....

have kids, we know that the odds there kids will be that was is increased ? Here is my question is it more genes or interest in things that matter ?

Don’t know. Both of my parents are really smart, but my dad is smart and not at all career motivated, my mom is smart but a teacher so she very much drilled into me the importance of hard work and education, so her career focus and my dad's lack thereof probably cancelled each other out.

It's mostly the fact that the child of two professionals likely has a higher level of "social capital" than children in other situations. Greater financial means, assumed expectations of college attendance, access to role models who are also professionals, access to referrals for job opportunities, internships, references, etc. It's a cycle that repeats itself.....

^^^This^^^

Some facts I learned over the course of my college research years:**

1. Biggest predictor of academic success? Parental involvement in a child's school and education.

2. Biggest predictor of a child attending college? Having a mother who earned a college degree.

3. Biggest predictor of adult behavior? Parental behavior of the same-sex parent.

4. Biggest predictor of the type of person someone will marry? The type of people the child is exposed to in their middle school and high school years.

5. Biggest predictor of someone's socioeconomic status? The socioeconomic status of their parents.

DISCLAIMERS (because this is the DIS, after all):

**Based on research papers I have done over the years; you will have to trust me on these because I am too lazy right now to cite sources, however I can say that each one of these originated from scholarly journals and sources that were backed up by empirical evidence**

***YMMV. There are ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS. That's why living in America is so awesome....choices and personal growth/responsibility can change one's life no matter how they were raised. The above are simply PREDICTORS, not set-in-stone absolutes.***

Last edited:
It's mostly the fact that the child of two professionals likely has a higher level of "social capital" than children in other situations. Greater financial means, assumed expectations of college attendance, access to role models who are also professionals, access to referrals for job opportunities, internships, references, etc. It's a cycle that repeats
itself.....

I do not completely agree
I live in a very diverse community and Asian students work very hard. They seem to not have much of a financial adavantage over others in area. They have very driven structure to study from parents.

I do not completely agree
I live in a very diverse community and Asian students work very hard. They seem to not have much of a financial adavantage over others in area. They have very driven structure to study from parents.

I think Emma is talking about Socioeconomic Status. Not just Economic Status. It's a package deal.

I think Emma is talking about Socioeconomic Status. Not just Economic Status. It's a package deal.
I didn't really see it that way. Guess I misunderstood her/his point
Being wealthy doesn't hurt. but I really feel family support and in some way thier push is bigger contributor.

Last edited:

I think it's both, but if I had to weigh them, I'd give the edge to interest (nurture) over genes (nature). My iPad is acting up, so I can't get it to link right now, but there was an article in The Atlantic called "The 32 Million Word Gap" that gives an interesting answer.

I have also seen kids of very bright successful people be ...... let's say not motivated

They have been gifted w much monetary possessions and lifestyle that they will never be able to maintain. So they just never tried

So much is up to the child.

I have also seen kids of very bright successful people be ...... let's say not motivated

They have been gifted w much monetary possessions and lifestyle that they will never be able to maintain. So they just never tried

So much is up to the child.
Agreed. Of course there's also the opposite. Successful kids from unsuccessful parents.

What about stay at home moms? Does it take two career oriented parents for a child to be successful? I would think not.

I think parental involvement probably plays the biggest factor in a child's success. I don't necessarily define success as just "making money". There are a lot of ways to be successful in life.

In my years teaching, I saw both sides. Lots of very smart students were not motivated at all. Lots of mediocre students who had motivation succeeded beyond expectations. Each of us has his own definition of success.
Both my dd and dil are staying at home with their kids, raising them at home, while my ds and sil are working hard to pay the bills. They are living modestly, driving used high mileage cars, eating in most meals, and clipping coupons. I couldn't be prouder of them. Their struggles, their lifestyles, are teaching them discipline, and they have made these choices. Both have degree that they aren't currently using.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter