If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It! - WISH October Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Good Morning All -- Well yesterday was a bad day. I had a candy bar for breakfast, ate good for lunch and dinner, had cake for a snack and then some tortilla chips to top it off. Oh and I had a few oreos as well. I think that was my worst eating day in a very long time. Good news is that what ever was going on with me yesterday (sick wise) seems to be gone today. Even the congestion. So yay for being short lived. I did get news that cheer is now going to the end of October/beginning of November but will only be once a week once we are out of the play-offs. Which will most likely be next week. The first round.

I am going to get myself back in line today with my food. I am also going to talk to my husband abut working out right after work before coming home for awhile. This seems to help me. Once I get back in the routine, going after dinner won't be so hard.

I am going to get myself back in line today with my food. I am also going to talk to my husband abut working out right after work before coming home for awhile. This seems to help me. Once I get back in the routine, going after dinner won't be so hard.

Every day is a new day! It looks like you know that well- so good for you for making the decision to get back on track today :)

My small detail is breakfast. I gave up cereal and eat Greek yogurt. I love the hidden Mickeys at WDW. Today's wahoo...I was under calories for today so I could indulge in that Hagaan Dazs ice cream bar. mmmm

Yum! I love days that end in ice cream :D

oops. Last night the pms munchies hit me and I end up having some snacks I really didn't need. I end up in balance still, and lucky it lasted one night only night.

One of the things I like about calories is that it allows for nights or days like this. I always found the honest tracking helps. I added my calories, but I was active yesterday with 20 000 steps by bed time. Ok, not the healthiest choices - white bread with cheese and goodness bar. But writing down helps not make big deal of it. Even when I go over, I can see on scale of things it's not big deal and it also avoids oh no, I blew it all, lets eat and start fresh tomorrow.

I find adding, even when it's just estimation and not accurate, great tool to keep me honest. It takes me minutes only.

So what can I do better today - well no goodness bars or white bread and cheese before bed :). I have to confess the white bread was sourdough and it reminds me of Disneyland :). Perhaps I can look through my pictures to get the worm feeling of sun, family and holiday time instead of inhaling bread!

I am amazed by how many steps you get every day. Do you have a really active job or are you just constantly on the go??

Also, I completely agree with you on tracking every little thing. You track it, you recognize it, you move on.

I read two definitions of health I want to share with you

"HEALTH IS ENERGY— A STATE WHERE THE MIND AND BODY ARE AT PEAK EFFICIENCIES.”

If a diet is making you feeling starved and deprived, or a workout (directed at myself) makes you feel like beaten up for two days after - this is not heath!

WHO definition of health

"Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community."
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

Isn't this wonderful?

Both of these are great! Sometimes I can get focused on being 'skinny' instead of being healthy. My DH is actually very good at helping me with this. Every time I go to him to celebrate another pound loss he always says something like "That's incredible and I'm so proud of you! Now, are you healthy? Are you happy?" And it's great to get my mind back where it needs to be- health.

QOTD: It’s impossible to understate the importance of visualization for Imagineers trying to create a new piece of a Disney park. Each idea begins with sketches and sculptures so that the construction crew and artists working on the final product have a standard to work toward. In what ways do you use visualization to help achieve your goals?

Bonus QOTD: When you think of "Disney", what's the picture that forms in your mind?

My average steps for last year were 15200 steps a day. I work office work, and if I don't make any attempt to increase my steps I would average about 13000. We are active but also living in Dublin it's easy to walk to places adn easier to get the bus to work and even walking to my son school is a nice walk about 17 minutes each way!

1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) Yes
2) Were my calories in balance Yes
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) N/A
4) What did I do great today, what worked well
I tracked everything and did my steps
5) What can I do better tomorrow
I may have had had one or two goodness bars. That's it - I am not buying them anymore!

QOTD - I try and imagine myself back to thinner and fitter. Able to have more energy to do anything I like and fit into any clothes I like.

Bonus- The castle , Beach club, Castaway Cay, all my happy places.
I've never stayed at Beach Club but it's on my list! I think Stormalong Bay is just about the coolest pool ever :D

QOTD: When I’m struggling with motivation I think of our upcoming trip to Hawaii and all of our vacation photos. I was shocked looking at our photos from our cruise last year and saw how big I had gotten. I’m looking forward to being shocked because of the opposite this year! Not to mention the energy I want to have for hiking and kayaking and general adventuring!

Another way I use visualization I actually started last month. I printed off a calendar for the month and each day I mark if I’ve met my goal or not. I attached a picture here. The blue drop means I got my water for the day, a Star means I exercised, and I write down my weekly weight every Wednesday. Then at the very bottom I have a running total for the month. It helped me so much last month!

Attachments

• D6A49595-C625-44FF-83BC-FB498BD58D3B.jpeg
    D6A49595-C625-44FF-83BC-FB498BD58D3B.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
I will be 40 next year. I like that picture of myself form last Ocotber/November (in profile) and I changed to it recently for motivation. We were @ WDW, end of the holiday, I ate sensible and enjoyed the food but didn't over do it. It's reminder for me that moderation can be fun and it's rear picture of me where I look genuinely happy in picture!

When I need motivation I think for Steven Taylor! Don't laugh, but he was amazing live this summer. So much energy! Also he sill does the Rock Coaster at HS while many people his age need assistance walking. I would like to be healthy long term, my visualization is 60 year old me at MK with bunch of grandchildren being super cool grandma. Haha, my son will be only 30 at that age so I may have to wait little longer. I am in no rush to be 60 but I want to live in a away to support the 60 year old me still enjoying the things I enjoy now.

It's how I want to live vision, not only how I want to look. However if I only have the long term vizualisation, I feel it's so far ahead - it doesn't give me the push sometimes I need. So I have one that is shorter term - like next vacation or special occasion.

Last edited:
Oops forgot to answer the bonus question!

I picture the parades. I would love to be in a Disney parade. Literally your job is dancing around and making people smile- two of my very favorite things. Plus the costumes are so cool!!

we were asked once if we want to participate in parade in AK (2013). We got to go backstage and we were on a float! It was funny but also really strange as people are taking pictures of the floats with us in them. My son loved it and I treasure the pictures

But I wouldn't do it again! I felt very out of my comfort zone.

Good to see you are checking back in- we missed you! (And I don't mean that in a guilt-tripping sort of way, I genuinely missed hearing from you :P). I hope your shoulder gets better soon!!

Thanks! I have been readjusting to be being back at work this week and have been tired some nights and basically heading straight for bed after picking DS16 up from his night shift. Saw the Physiotherapist yesterday my shoulder is worse than I thought and a lot of the pain is coming from really tight muscles in my shoulder girdle - even some light pressure from him during massage had me jumping through the roof - so he gave me some acupuncture and I have some stretches/exercises to do - unfortunately it is going to take months most likely! Ugh this is what not looking after myself does.

"HEALTH IS ENERGY— A STATE WHERE THE MIND AND BODY ARE AT PEAK EFFICIENCIES.”

If a diet is making you feeling starved and deprived, or a workout (directed at myself) makes you feel like beaten up for two days after - this is not heath!

WHO definition of health

"Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community."
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

Isn't this wonderful?

Thanks for reminding me! I know the WHO definition so well - it always came up when I was studying and at work we get a reminder during our network meetings sometimes - but I think because it is something familiar I tend to forget about it - if that makes sense - or think of it as 'work' to apply to others!

My DH is actually very good at helping me with this. Every time I go to him to celebrate another pound loss he always says something like "That's incredible and I'm so proud of you! Now, are you healthy? Are you happy?" And it's great to get my mind back where it needs to be- health.

That is awesome - it is great you get that support and reminder :-)

In what ways do you use visualization to help achieve your goals?

I do visualise myself as thin and active wearing cute outfits. Another part of the problem is I don't really visualise the reality of were I am now - in my mind I am not this big and then when I really get a dose of the reality I am beyond shocked!

Bonus QOTD: When you think of "Disney", what's the picture that forms in your mind?

Purely Disney - Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty's Castle at the end of Main Street. Although I also can't help by see my kids there and their faces! I have a little photo poster on the wall at work so I get to see their faces and relive our trip when I am at work! One of favourite pics is of our first day there and I shot a pic of the 3 of them (from the back as I walked behind them) walking down Mainstreet with the Castle in front of them - I can't see their faces but I just love it.

That's it - I am not buying them anymore!

Stay strong - good luck :banana:

Another way I use visualization I actually started last month. I printed off a calendar for the month and each day I mark if I’ve met my goal or not. I attached a picture here. The blue drop means I got my water for the day, a Star means I exercised, and I write down my weekly weight every Wednesday. Then at the very bottom I have a running total for the month. It helped me so much last month!

Great Idea!

I will be 40 next year. I like that picture of myself form last Ocotber/November (in profile) and I changed to it recently for motivation. We were @ WDW, end of the holiday, I ate sensible and enjoyed the food but didn't over do it. It's reminder for me that moderation can be fun and it's rear picture of me where I look genuinely happy in picture!

I noticed you changed your profile pic the other day and I really like it. I love photos where we look truly happy and that can be seen shining through.

So much fantastic chatter to get through this morning - everyone is sounding very motivated this month!

Oh a positive compliment I got from a work friend/colleague I haven't seen in about 3 weeks (before our school break) was that she said I looked 'healthier' in the face with better colour - now maybe that is because I touched up by grey roots! but I'll take it - especially as I wasn't overly feeling it yesterday with the shoulder pain. She knows I am on a bit of a health journey. Yipee for me it is already Friday morning - here comes the weekend :cool1:

I have not used visualization much in my weight loss and healing journey. But I know visualization can be a powerful tool. I used it quite a bit for a few years for a different reason. And now I'm so glad you mentioned it here! I'm going to start trying some visualization exercises for some of my meditation time. I'll work at it to picture myself in 3-10 years doing active things, for myself, with friends, with my grandchildren, in the mountains in Tennesee, in Walt Disney World, hiking up Stone Mountain in Georgia, ...maybe even zip lining! I think i am in a place now that i can do that and not engage in any self sabotage in my head instead! Feels good to grow and improve.

BQ: my picture in my head of Disney can be many different things depending on the context when someone brings it up. But today when I read this question I immediately pictured Roy and Minnie sitting on their bench. Last time I was there I cried when I first saw them on day 1, too much sadness in my life at that time (And even in the 1/2 hour leading up to that moment) to explain. I believe I'll get to go back and that I'll be allowed to be happy, and able to be! And I'm going to take a picture with them! I think I'll visualize that too!

I did stick to my eating plans yesterday AND I hydrated so that all good. Today has been a very full and busy day as most of mine are for the last year or two. But I'm leaning on the Lord and I'm working my success.

pain is coming from really tight muscles in my shoulder girdle - even some light pressure from him during massage had me jumping through the roof -

Aww. I wish I could get a chance to see you as a client and try to get you some relief. I'm starting my fourth and last quarter of massage school just now. My first clinic hours of the quarter were today and tomorrow will be my first classes of the quarter. I'm actually pretty good at light pressure relaxation massage and also myofacial release which is one of the more therapeutic things I've learned but also very gentle. Sadly, even if we were close geographically they don't allow clients to request a specific student. I do have one repeat customer I'll have all quarter at his request, but it's a very unusual thing that they allowed it and there were other factors besides my success in helping him with his unique needs.

I really enjoy the work though. The job satisfaction when a client experiences relief is huge. I just love helping people.

It sounds like your physiotherapist has more education than what it takes to become a licensed massage therapist here. But I wonder if you may have any affordable relaxation massage options you could add in to what you're doing.

Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in a bit late here. I'm rather prone to spur-of-the-moment decisions and one of those has led me to bump my health up to the top of the priority list for the first time in a very long time, so here I am.

I'm Colleen, 38yo mom to three very busy children, ages 19, 16, and 9. We live in a small town in southeast Michigan, where I do the usual routine of spending way too much time in the car getting kids to and from various activities. I'm also a recent college grad, though I haven't seriously started job hunting in my field out of concern for how it will shift the time balance in our household. My husband works long hours and I also have my mother leaning on me a lot since my brother passed away in May, so "me time" (both career and health) too often gets pushed to the back burner while I deal with everyone else's needs.

I only have one goal right now. To exercise every day, 5 days a week, long enough to log in at least 3.5 miles of walking/running. My 16yo and I used to do 5ks together a few times a year but let it fall by the wayside as life got busier. I'd like to get back to that. We only signed up for one this year and I didn't even finish - partly because I just wasn't up for it, and partly because it was like 35 degrees, rainy, and ankle-deep mud which didn't really encourage a "tough it out" mentality. I need to make sure I can keep up with my active kids, not just now but for many years to come. And I know DD16 is seeing it too - she wants us to hike Mt Fuji together on her graduation gift trip and while she hasn't come right out and said it, she's not sure I'm going to be up for it. So when she asked for a gym membership for her birthday this year, I signed myself up too.

I'm really not focused on weight, which is new for me. Usually I have weight loss goals and work on my diet hand-in-hand with my exercise habits. And I've had some weight loss success in the past, but I'm an emotional eater and this has been a very, very bad year in my family so I'm near my heaviest weight again. But right now, my bloodwork all still looks good and I'm healthy. But I had a medical issue come up last year, genetic and not at all lifestyle related but more easily controlled if I'm eating better and exercising, and between that and the stress/burnout I've been struggling with for the last few months I just knew it was time. For me, for my mental health, and for my peace of mind. It is as much about managing my stress and my tendency towards anxiety/depression in a positive way as about weight loss. I figure if I start there, the rest will follow when the time is right.

Mon QOTD: When it comes to meeting my goal, I'm really the only one relying on me. My kids are relying on me to be around a good long time. My husband is relying on me to hold down the fort so he doesn't have to think about what time he'll be home at night or if he'll get called in on a Saturday. My mom is relying on me to help with the heavy lifting around her house and with the difficult task of getting it ready to sell. This goal is about carving time out of all of those expectations to take care of me. They'll all benefit in the long run, of course, from having a healthier and more active version of me doing all those things, but they're doing just fine with the status quo. I'm the one who needs this.

Tues QOTD: One tiny detail that I am working on conquering as part of this journey is my soda habit. I drink diet, so for a long time I excused it and told myself it didn't matter because it is zero calorie, but I've become more aware lately that the artificial sweeteners are linked to some of the things I struggle with most - anxiety/depression, difficulty sleeping, and inflammation - and at the same time realized that my one-a-day habit had crept up to two, then three, then four. Some days I'll go through a whole two-liter on my own. So that is a detail I am changing. I don't quit cold turkey; I've been dependent on caffeine for so long that I get migraines if I stop suddenly, but I'm cutting it down to one a day and once I adjust to that I'll work on eliminating it completely.

Woohoo Wednesday
: This one is easy - I booked our March trip! The discount isn't what I'd been hoping for but we have a great price on a Ft Wilderness cabin and I'm looking forward to an awesome trip!

Thurs QOTD: I'm not a very visual thinker, so using visualization as a tool doesn't come easily to me. I think if anything it holds me back because I tend to see myself the way I feel, not the way I am. I'm active and busy and have plenty of energy, so I don't see myself as a size 20 woman with 80 lbs to lose. I don't picture myself thin as motivation, but I do picture doing some of the things I want to do in the coming years without thinking twice about whether I'll fit (certain rides) or be too out of breath to enjoy it (hiking trips, climbing the Statue of Liberty when we're in NYC touring colleges in April).

Bonus questions:

Joe Rohde is my favorite Imagineer. His vision and way of seeing all the details coming together into a cohesive big picture just amazes me. I can't wait to go to Tiffins, as much to see all of the decor they created from the AK concept artwork as for the yummy looking food!

The Disney detail that I always have the most fun with is the light fixtures. If you take the time to notice them, they're all so different, each one tailored to match the theme of its location. It has kind of become a running joke with my family at this point because I have So. Many. pictures of light fixtures around the World.

When I think of Disney, the picture in my mind is the flower tapestry under the monorail track at Epcot during Flower & Garden Festival. I love gardening and have been lucky enough to make it to the festival several times, including doing the Gardens of the World tour on a solo trip, and that is truly the side of Disney that is my "happy place".

Welcome Colleen27! :cheer2: It's so funny you mentioned light fixtures, because a trip or two back that was the focus of my photos. Just wanted something different that trip to be aware of, so I have lots of photos of them!

I don't visualize me, I visualize lines on the scale. It's weird, but I like it. I'm already on the side I wanna be of one thick line, now I'm working on getting to the next thick line!

This could be a late Wahoo Wednesday: I fit into a skirt I haven't worn in a long, long time! The waist was snug but comfortable enough that I wore it all day long and then to an event in the evening.

Thanks! I have been readjusting to be being back at work this week and have been tired some nights and basically heading straight for bed after picking DS16 up from his night shift. Saw the Physiotherapist yesterday my shoulder is worse than I thought and a lot of the pain is coming from really tight muscles in my shoulder girdle - even some light pressure from him during massage had me jumping through the roof - so he gave me some acupuncture and I have some stretches/exercises to do - unfortunately it is going to take months most likely! Ugh this is what not looking after myself does.
Oh what a bummer. I'm glad you have some good direction for healing, though!

Purely Disney - Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty's Castle at the end of Main Street. Although I also can't help by see my kids there and their faces! I have a little photo poster on the wall at work so I get to see their faces and relive our trip when I am at work! One of favourite pics is of our first day there and I shot a pic of the 3 of them (from the back as I walked behind them) walking down Mainstreet with the Castle in front of them - I can't see their faces but I just love it.
That sounds so precious- what an awesome memory :)

Oh a positive compliment I got from a work friend/colleague I haven't seen in about 3 weeks (before our school break) was that she said I looked 'healthier' in the face with better colour - now maybe that is because I touched up by grey roots! but I'll take it - especially as I wasn't overly feeling it yesterday with the shoulder pain. She knows I am on a bit of a health journey. Yipee for me it is already Friday morning - here comes the weekend :cool1:
That's awesome! Even though we know that our validation shouldn't come from other people, it's always nice to get a compliment and to know that others recognize your progress.

I have not used visualization much in my weight loss and healing journey. But I know visualization can be a powerful tool. I used it quite a bit for a few years for a different reason. And now I'm so glad you mentioned it here! I'm going to start trying some visualization exercises for some of my meditation time. I'll work at it to picture myself in 3-10 years doing active things, for myself, with friends, with my grandchildren, in the mountains in Tennesee, in Walt Disney World, hiking up Stone Mountain in Georgia, ...maybe even zip lining! I think i am in a place now that i can do that and not engage in any self sabotage in my head instead! Feels good to grow and improve.
Those are awesome things to picture!

Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in a bit late here. I'm rather prone to spur-of-the-moment decisions and one of those has led me to bump my health up to the top of the priority list for the first time in a very long time, so here I am.
Not at all- welcome, welcome, welcome!

I'm Colleen, 38yo mom to three very busy children, ages 19, 16, and 9. We live in a small town in southeast Michigan, where I do the usual routine of spending way too much time in the car getting kids to and from various activities. I'm also a recent college grad, though I haven't seriously started job hunting in my field out of concern for how it will shift the time balance in our household. My husband works long hours and I also have my mother leaning on me a lot since my brother passed away in May, so "me time" (both career and health) too often gets pushed to the back burner while I deal with everyone else's needs.

I only have one goal right now. To exercise every day, 5 days a week, long enough to log in at least 3.5 miles of walking/running. My 16yo and I used to do 5ks together a few times a year but let it fall by the wayside as life got busier. I'd like to get back to that. We only signed up for one this year and I didn't even finish - partly because I just wasn't up for it, and partly because it was like 35 degrees, rainy, and ankle-deep mud which didn't really encourage a "tough it out" mentality. I need to make sure I can keep up with my active kids, not just now but for many years to come. And I know DD16 is seeing it too - she wants us to hike Mt Fuji together on her graduation gift trip and while she hasn't come right out and said it, she's not sure I'm going to be up for it. So when she asked for a gym membership for her birthday this year, I signed myself up too.

I'm really not focused on weight, which is new for me. Usually I have weight loss goals and work on my diet hand-in-hand with my exercise habits. And I've had some weight loss success in the past, but I'm an emotional eater and this has been a very, very bad year in my family so I'm near my heaviest weight again. But right now, my bloodwork all still looks good and I'm healthy. But I had a medical issue come up last year, genetic and not at all lifestyle related but more easily controlled if I'm eating better and exercising, and between that and the stress/burnout I've been struggling with for the last few months I just knew it was time. For me, for my mental health, and for my peace of mind. It is as much about managing my stress and my tendency towards anxiety/depression in a positive way as about weight loss. I figure if I start there, the rest will follow when the time is right.
It seems like you have a good idea of what you need :) We're glad to be able to support you in your journey!

Mon QOTD: When it comes to meeting my goal, I'm really the only one relying on me. My kids are relying on me to be around a good long time. My husband is relying on me to hold down the fort so he doesn't have to think about what time he'll be home at night or if he'll get called in on a Saturday. My mom is relying on me to help with the heavy lifting around her house and with the difficult task of getting it ready to sell. This goal is about carving time out of all of those expectations to take care of me. They'll all benefit in the long run, of course, from having a healthier and more active version of me doing all those things, but they're doing just fine with the status quo. I'm the one who needs this.

Tues QOTD: One tiny detail that I am working on conquering as part of this journey is my soda habit. I drink diet, so for a long time I excused it and told myself it didn't matter because it is zero calorie, but I've become more aware lately that the artificial sweeteners are linked to some of the things I struggle with most - anxiety/depression, difficulty sleeping, and inflammation - and at the same time realized that my one-a-day habit had crept up to two, then three, then four. Some days I'll go through a whole two-liter on my own. So that is a detail I am changing. I don't quit cold turkey; I've been dependent on caffeine for so long that I get migraines if I stop suddenly, but I'm cutting it down to one a day and once I adjust to that I'll work on eliminating it completely.

Woohoo Wednesday
: This one is easy - I booked our March trip! The discount isn't what I'd been hoping for but we have a great price on a Ft Wilderness cabin and I'm looking forward to an awesome trip!

Thurs QOTD: I'm not a very visual thinker, so using visualization as a tool doesn't come easily to me. I think if anything it holds me back because I tend to see myself the way I feel, not the way I am. I'm active and busy and have plenty of energy, so I don't see myself as a size 20 woman with 80 lbs to lose. I don't picture myself thin as motivation, but I do picture doing some of the things I want to do in the coming years without thinking twice about whether I'll fit (certain rides) or be too out of breath to enjoy it (hiking trips, climbing the Statue of Liberty when we're in NYC touring colleges in April).

Bonus questions:

Joe Rohde is my favorite Imagineer. His vision and way of seeing all the details coming together into a cohesive big picture just amazes me. I can't wait to go to Tiffins, as much to see all of the decor they created from the AK concept artwork as for the yummy looking food!

The Disney detail that I always have the most fun with is the light fixtures. If you take the time to notice them, they're all so different, each one tailored to match the theme of its location. It has kind of become a running joke with my family at this point because I have So. Many. pictures of light fixtures around the World.

When I think of Disney, the picture in my mind is the flower tapestry under the monorail track at Epcot during Flower & Garden Festival. I love gardening and have been lucky enough to make it to the festival several times, including doing the Gardens of the World tour on a solo trip, and that is truly the side of Disney that is my "happy place".

Great responses!!

This could be a late Wahoo Wednesday: I fit into a skirt I haven't worn in a long, long time! The waist was snug but comfortable enough that I wore it all day long and then to an event in the evening.
Ahhh what a glorious feeling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts