If you could only take your child to Disney World once, what age would be the “sweet spot” to do it

Snake the jake

Earning My Ears
i might be biased on this question since I’m a kindergarten teacher, but I think the summer after kindergarten would be that time. They are big enough for the rides but little enough to still believe in the pixie dust of it all. Then again, the drawback of this age is they get tired easily and might need to do 8 half days in the park instead of 4 full days. What do you think?

I think 4-6. It depends on how tall and how sensitive the children are. If they are tall enough to go on most rides (38 for 7DMT or 44 for Space Mountain). If your child is adventurous, it would probably be better o wait until the are a bit taller. I think at that age they can still go in a stroller if necessary and they still believe all the chatCters are real.

My kids could normally do all day at the parks then, especially I they napped in the stroller.

Lots of people have other kids by the time one enters kindergarten so it's complicated by that.

I do think the 4-6 age range is a great age for Disney though.

We waited till DD was 7 thinking this trip would be a one and done. Good thing we all fell in love with WDW because she doesn’t remember that trip at all. We went two years later when she was 9, and not only was it a blast, she remembers it.

I guess it depends on the child.

Last edited:

We took our son last October when he was 3 and he was tall enough for Space Mountain (44") but he is exceptionally tall for a child (my husband is 6'6"). I was not prepared for how much my son would LOVE Disney World! 8 months later and he has not stopped talking about it, we are taking him again in December when he turns 5. He thought all the characters were real, everything was magical, he was just mesmerized by it all. Honestly, I was never a Disney super fan but seeing him love it so much made me want to take him again. So I don't think Disney should be a one and done childhood trip. If you can afford to, take them once when they are little and they believe the magic. Then take them again a few years later when they are older and can ride all the rides.

I'd wait until a child was old enough physically and emotionally to participate in all or most of the rides (especially those with a height requirement). 10? 12? That age where the memories will 'stick' and all desired experiences can be fulfilled. pixiedust:

i might be biased on this question since I’m a kindergarten teacher, but I think the summer after kindergarten would be that time. They are big enough for the rides but little enough to still believe in the pixie dust of it all. Then again, the drawback of this age is they get tired easily and might need to do 8 half days in the park instead of 4 full days. What do you think?
Somewhere between ages 7 & 10. When they're young enough to still enjoy the magic, but tall enough to ride everything.

Many 5 and 6 year-olds aren't big enough for a lot of the rides, and/or are scared of some of them. They also tire more easily than older kids.

I teach 5th grade (10 & 11 year-olds), and they are always excited to go to Disney World.

Last edited:
We have been a few times. My oldest is 9 but the time that was the most magical was when he was 5 . He may not remember it well but I sure do. Everything was awe inspiring. He still believed. My youngest is currently 5 and we went in April. He has the best time yet. So, yeah, older will mean they can ride a handful more rides ( 5 year old even rode FOP) but not many and they may remember it better ( I remember nothing from a trip when I was 11) but I think 5 is pure magic.

My best trip with the kids was when they were ages 7 and 4. Between the two, I think the 7 year old had more fun on the trip. But as a mom, it was more fun for me to watch my 4 year old experience Disney. But, I think Disney is fun at any age

9 - they are old enough to ride all the rides, but still count as a child, and are less apt to throw fits

I think the best age for a first time visit if four but IF you are only going once go before they turn 10! Once they turn 10 then they pay as adults.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!