If you don't have a choice..summer or spring break

We did both this year. Hit the peak of Spring Break and the second week in August. I would choose Spring Break 2019. Avoid the heat and SWG crowds. There may not be too big of a difference between Spring Break and summer/SWG crowds this year.

My husband is a teacher, so we went back and forth between spring break or summer for our first trip this past year. We decided on summer, but went in mid-June; June 17-24 (after all of the grad nights were over). We LOVED it. The parks were open early/late, all of the entertainment was going on daily (parades, fireworks, etc.), and the weather was amazing. Chilly/cool in the early mornings/evenings, but really nice during the day. I think the week or two after we left, the temp jumped to triple digits. So not sure if we got lucky with the cooler weather. I know some people talk about "june gloom" so maybe that was part of it too.

ETA: This ignores the impact SWG will have next summer!

We've been in July the last 5 years. We love it and do not think the summer crowds are bad at all. Also, compared to what we have at home, it wasn't that hot. In fact, it was a lot hotter in WDW the first week in October this year than it was at DLR in July. I would pick summer over spring break every time. However, the opening of Star Wars in 2019 might change that up for next summer--- it will likely be insane when Star Wars land opens.

Hmm, trying to decide between March 10-14 or June 3-9. Flights are cheaper in June but I want to avoid GE opening. Arg. Decisions, decisions....

Seemingly about $400-$500.
That is a significant difference, but if you really want to avoid SWGE and the inevitable insanity once it opens, only your March dates are safe. Disney has officially announced "Summer 2019" for SWGE at DLR, which could mean anything from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend. It definitely doesn't include March!

Summer. Definitely. Although early June will be NUTS because so many annual passholders will be blocked out starting later in June, so they will all descent upon the parks like locusts before their blackouts hit.

I would actually recommend late July. SWGE should be open at the end of June. Give it a month to settle down and come the last week of July.

I think it would depend on when Spring Break was for the household. When we lived on the East Coast and Spring Break was in late April it was busy and hot and we would not do it again. But were back in Texas and Spring Break is Late Feb/ Early March - I would think its more doable then.

I think it would depend on when Spring Break was for the household. When we lived on the East Coast and Spring Break was in late April it was busy and hot and we would not do it again. But were back in Texas and Spring Break is Late Feb/ Early March - I would think its more doable then.

Well, as I said, our Spring Break is in the second week of March. The more I think about it though, I may be leaning more towards Spring Break rather than June, because I REALLY would hate to book everything and then the opening of GE is announced for early June. With this being our first trip to DL, I just don't want to have to deal with the added crowds that SWGE will bring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts