If you make a droid how do you get home on a plane?

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
If you make a droid at the droid dept. how do you get it home on the plane? With it in the box can you just carry that on the plane as a carryon? My 2 boys want to make one and they don't usually carry a carryon so was wondering if they could just carry the box as one.

Thanks

Personally, I would not use the box as the carry-on. The box is just cardboard and it can be pretty easily crushed or damaged. Plus the droid is not anchored it he box, so it can roll/rattle around (especially the BB-8 unit). Are you doing any checked luggage? Personally, I would breakdown the box (it collapses flat) and put that in checked luggage. Then I would take the droid in my regular carry-on. For the BB-8 unit, I would separate the parts so that the head, body, and interior motor can all be packed so they don't rattle around or get damaged in the carry-on.

We flew home with 2 on Delta in their boxes and had no issues at all. Wife had a small bag as did my son. TSA could have cared less, it went through the machine like everything else. I think if you came on with a suitcase and one they might have issue but not in our case. Bags went under the seats and the droids were in the overhead bins.

My son and I each made R units in June. We flattened the boxes for both of them and put them in our checked luggage. I checked my droid, and my son put his in his backpack carry on. No problems with either! We flew Alaska.

You can definitely take them as a carry on but I might think about putting them in another bag and/or "stabilizing" them in the boxes. Additionally, on both our boxes the cardboard tabs that keep the top secured somehow got messed up so the top where the handles are kept kind of opening. It wasn't a problem- it doesn't make you drop the whole box or anything- but it did make it a little more awkward to carry and was very annoying.

We ended up carefully packing our droids in checked baggage.

I haven't been since SWGE opened so I have no idea.
But I will tell you what I have been doing for years with each trip to DLR.

Going with 1 or 4 grandkids there are always plenty of souvenirs at the end of a trip.
We only take carry-on bags, I do not like waiting for checked luggage when we get there.

I pack an empty canvas barrel bag in my carry-on.

At the end of a trip we safely pack the souvenirs in our carry-on and dirty laundry goes in the barrel bag.
The barrel bag will usually get checked if we exceed the two items allowed.

It makes it so much easier to get everything home.

Geemo

We just got back a couple of weeks ago, built two droids and bought one of the large reusable bags it fit both droids in their boxes. I took them as my carry on, laid them flat to go thru the machine and then stored them up above on the plane, TSA didn't say anything about them

My son just brought his home on the plane today. We flattened the box and put it in our checked suitcase. My son put the droid in his carry on backpack cushioned with some sweatshirts. It arrived safely and we’ve been driving it around our house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!