If you think studios are really meant for 2 people.....

We just bought DVC early this year and I’ve still yet to see a DVC studio but everything I hear indicates that they’re akin to a standard WDW hotel room. We’ve stayed with 4 adults and a baby in a value room with no problem and with 2 adults + 3 kids in a moderate. We’re staying at a moderate on cash this summer with 2 adults/3 kids + an infant and I don’t foresee any problems. Like a previous poster said, it mostly depends upon what you’re accustomed to. For reference I’m 6’4”, 320lbs and usually end up sharing a queen bed with DW, 3 kids, and a black lab. I’m used to being crammed. That being said, I’m hoping to hold onto studios until I’m forced into a 2br because I fear I won’t ever want to go back once I get a little elbow room.

There are some significant differences - the biggest being that there aren't two real beds (except at OKW). There is a kitchenette that takes up some of the square footage And no daily housekeeping can mean that you need to stay extra organized in a small space - normally at least someone else makes the bed for you.

We just bought DVC early this year and I’ve still yet to see a DVC studio but everything I hear indicates that they’re akin to a standard WDW hotel room. We’ve stayed with 4 adults and a baby in a value room with no problem and with 2 adults + 3 kids in a moderate. We’re staying at a moderate on cash this summer with 2 adults/3 kids + an infant and I don’t foresee any problems. Like a previous poster said, it mostly depends upon what you’re accustomed to. For reference I’m 6’4”, 320lbs and usually end up sharing a queen bed with DW, 3 kids, and a black lab. I’m used to being crammed. That being said, I’m hoping to hold onto studios until I’m forced into a 2br because I fear I won’t ever want to go back once I get a little elbow room.
When the infant turns three, you'll be in a two bedroom villa. Just plan on that. We bought DVC to enjoy staying in the villa, especially since we don't do the parks all day long anymore. Now it's just a few hours and we're headed back to our villa to enjoy staying there.

In full disclosure, we will be 5 staying in 2 studios. 1 studio, 1 hotel room and 1 bedrooms won't work for our group since D20's bf is now travelling with us. If D's bf was not traveling with us, I'd not hesitate to drop the 2nd studio. As a family of 4, we have previously always stayed value or mod - 1 room. I would not travel with another couple and share a hotel room or a studio. Probably not a 1 bedroom either. I think that's different though, since I don't already share a home with them

I see studios as slightly better than a regular hotel room. You get the balcony and the kitchenette. Perhaps some don't like the sofa bed, but I like that it can be folded up and gives more space to move around and a usable "living room" during the day.

For us, DVC was a way to stay "deluxe" (I know....not really) for less money, but never for the kitchen, laundry, etc. Cooking and doing laundry are in no way an "upgrade" as far as I"m concerned!!! A 2 bedroom would be nice in terms of having a gathering space, but isn't worth the points IMO.

We've never looked into other timeshares.
Husband and I are DVC - we’ve only stayed in a studio once for 2 nights - AKL - NEVER again. We like our space ..more than just us 2 - we get a 2Br or more rooms. Studios are just too small - We tend to stay at Homewood Suites or another type of suite or multi-based hotel for our non-Disney travel.

My other points-based-timeshare allows only two persons in most of their studio configurations. Even so, their studios are larger than Disney studios and most include in-room laundry and a pretty workable kitchen. Their studio rooms are far more functional than those of DVC.

FWIW, I consider DVC to be off-base. Given the point values (1BR being roughly 2x studio), I feel that studio occupancy should have been restricted to 2 or 3 persons with the 1BR sleeping 4 or 5. That would have been a more balanced foundation.
I am intending to expand my bolded thought above ... while incorporating an example from our other points-based timeshare. I feel DVC's point cost, unit type, occupancy numbers has done a disservice to the member base, overall. DVC's point values and occupancy numbers have greatly encouraged members towards the studio units rather than spreading the usage more evenly across the system. The core factors favoring studio use:
  • Studios offer equal occupancy, and sometimes higher occupancy, than a 1BR unit.
  • Studios are offered at approximately half the point-value cost of a 1BR unit.
Given these, who wouldn't book the Studio if it fit their family? It makes sense and puts the 1BR unit in an uncomfortable "extra luxury" role if one uses occupancy/cost as the two most critical driving factors.

Our other timeshare uses a more "sliding scale" of point valuation and rewards the larger standard unit with higher occupancy. Take a look at the Worldmark Solvang resort information page. Reading the point chart at the bottom we find:
  • OCCUPANCY:
    • Studio: 2 person max
    • 1BR: 4 person max (intended as 2 in the bedroom; 2 in the living room)
    • 2BR: 6 person max (intended as 2 in each bedroom; 2 in the living room)
    • 3BR: 8 person max (intended as 2 in each bedroom; 2 in the living room)
    • Penthouse units offer less occupancy as there is no accommodation for sleeping in the living room
  • POINT VALUES, looking at Weekly rate in High Season:
    • Studio: 7000 WM Credits (aka 'points')
    • 1BR: 8000 WM Credits (14.3% increase over studio)
    • 2BR: 10000 WM Credits (25% increase over 1BR)
    • 3BR: 12000 WM Credits (20% increase over 2BR)
So we can see that occupancy increases for each unit type and the point steps between sizes is more gradual, never more than 25% in a single step. Heck, a 3BR unit is still less than 2x the studio. This gradual ramp between unit sizes makes it easier for family to 'justify' booking the 2BR when it would be a best fit. The occupancy limitations also spread the 'use' across the unit types more evenly. This suggests favorable impact on both the room repair/renovation cycle (reduced wear) and to availability (usage is spread more evenly across the unit types; studios remain "available" for couples).

EDITED TO ADD:
Oh, by the way ... when you visit the Resort info page for Solvang (linked above) check out the photos. The first image is of the resort exterior but the next three are of the studio. Yes, the couch converts into a murphy bed and check out that kitchen! Yes, the unit also has a stacked laundry directly across from the bath. And it has a gas fireplace, a balcony and gas grill on that balcony. Quite a spacious and functional studio ... wouldn't you agree??

Last edited:

I don't think it's unmanageable to fit 4-5 in a studio, but if we have a reasonably priced option available to avoid that happening, we prefer it. We bought DVC so that we could primarily stay in 1BRs and 2BRs as the kids get older (DS is 2 and DD is due later this year) without having to pay the high cash rates for those room types. With one 2 year old a studio is not crowded at all, but we still prefer the amenities of the larger villas since we do use the washer/dryer and the kitchen. So far when we've traveled to other places with DS, we've either booked a hotel room, a hotel 1BR suite, or an Airbnb. I imagine we'll gravitate to more of the hotel suites and Airbnbs over time as long as the cost makes sense - it's not necessarily that much more than a hotel room.

When the infant turns three, you'll be in a two bedroom villa. Just plan on that. We bought DVC to enjoy staying in the villa, especially since we don't do the parks all day long anymore. Now it's just a few hours and we're headed back to our villa to enjoy staying there.

That’s the ultimate plan. Hopefully studios for the next 3 years then a 2 br every other year.

You may enjoy the elbow room, but my guess is you'll miss some of what I like to call the "extreme togetherness", too. I know I'm a little bummed that we won't all be in 1 room for our upcoming Disney trip. I traveled quite a bit with just my girls about 3 years ago, and we mainly stayed in Hilton, Hampton Inn and a couple of Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites were nice in terms of space, but I remember feeling like I was missing out on late night whispers and giggles and snuggles. Yes, these are my teen girls and now they've got one foot out the door and how I miss that time!!!

Everyone goes into their own rooms here now, doors closed, headphones in and I'm sure that is what would happen in a 2 bedroom DVC as well. We have discussed the boys room / girls room option for our upcoming trip in 2 studios but we will likely just let my college kid and her bf have the 2nd studio. They will probably operate on their own schedule somewhat anyway. And I don't think either my husband or Ds boyfriend really wants to share a room with each other. lol I'm guessing I will get a lot of quality time with my 16 year old at least. I feel very lucky that she still enjoys spending so much time with me, so I'm gonna appreciate that for as long as it lasts!

We used to drive to Disney all the time and now we fly. I feel the same about that 20 hour car trip. Is a 8-9 hour trip easier than a 20 hour trip? Yep. Am I missing out on some really priceless "extreme togetherness"? Yep. Some great memories from that slap happy car time!

Do you / have you never booked regular hotel rooms?

I'm asking because it seems a lot of DVCers comment on studios really only being for 2-3 or "cramming into a studio" etc. I admit to only staying at SSR so far but I found it very comparable to a regular hotel room - felt more spacious actually. We WERE only 3 for that stay, but 4 adults (teen children) would not have been a problem.

So, I guess I'm just curious as to whether many have just become accustomed to larger accommodations and now can't "go back" or if you have just never been a 1 hotel room kind of traveler.

(and it seems consensus is that BLT is really smaller than the others - so I guess I'm excluding BLT from the conversation)
So I have only stayed in a studio at Kidani Village. At the time, my kids were 3 and 5. It felt like We were super cramped in the living space but had so much wasted space. For example, in order to pull out the sofa bed, we had to move the table and chairs in the room and pile them in a corner. Then to get to the balcony we had to climb over the bed bc there was no space between the foot of the sofa bed and the wall. However, our bathroom was humongous and so was the hallway part. Like they were too big almost.
So even though square footage wise it may have been the same or even bigger than a regular room, it felt really cramped. It’s actually one of the main reasons we decided not to buy DVC.
We just stayed at AKL Jambo in a regular room, and I absolutely loved it and found the room to be so spacious. I realize they’re not exactly the same resort, but our regular hotel room felt like it was truly a deluxe resort, while the studio felt a bit dumpy.

I am intending to expand my bolded thought above ... while incorporating an example from our other points-based timeshare. I feel DVC's point cost, unit type, occupancy numbers has done a disservice to the member base, overall. DVC's point values and occupancy numbers have greatly encouraged members towards the studio units rather than spreading the usage more evenly across the system. The core factors favoring studio use:
  • Studios offer equal occupancy, and sometimes higher occupancy, than a 1BR unit.
Given these, who wouldn't book the Studio if it fit their family? It makes sense and puts the 1BR unit in an uncomfortable "extra luxury" role if one uses occupancy/cost as the two most critical driving factors.

Our other timeshare uses a more "sliding scale" of point valuation and rewards the larger standard unit with higher occupancy. Take a look at the Worldmark Solvang resort information page. Reading the point chart at the bottom we find:
  • OCCUPANCY:
    • Penthouse units offer less occupancy as there is no accommodation for sleeping in the living room
So we can see that occupancy increases for each unit type and the point steps between sizes is more gradual, never more than 25% in a single step. Heck, a 3BR unit is still less than 2x the studio. This gradual ramp between unit sizes makes it easier for family to 'justify' booking the 2BR when it would be a best fit. The occupancy limitations also spread the 'use' across the unit types more evenly. This suggests favorable impact on both the room repair/renovation cycle (reduced wear) and to availability (usage is spread more evenly across the unit types; studios remain "available" for couples).

EDITED TO ADD:
Oh, by the way ... when you visit the Resort info page for Solvang (linked above) check out the photos. The first image is of the resort exterior but the next three are of the studio. Yes, the couch converts into a murphy bed and check out that kitchen! Yes, the unit also has a stacked laundry directly across from the bath. And it has a gas fireplace, a balcony and gas grill on that balcony. Quite a spacious and functional studio ... wouldn't you agree??
True - DVC Studios are a much better deal than 1Br and really - so are the 2Br since they’re way less points than the 1Br plus Studio that they actually are...however - I selfishly hope DVC doesn’t even things out too much because then those who normally get a Studio due to low points might be willing to go up just a bit and book a 1Br - making them harder for me to get

So I have only stayed in a studio at Kidani Village. At the time, my kids were 3 and 5. It felt like We were super cramped in the living space but had so much wasted space. For example, in order to pull out the sofa bed, we had to move the table and chairs in the room and pile them in a corner. Then to get to the balcony we had to climb over the bed bc there was no space between the foot of the sofa bed and the wall. However, our bathroom was humongous and so was the hallway part. Like they were too big almost.
So even though square footage wise it may have been the same or even bigger than a regular room, it felt really cramped. It’s actually one of the main reasons we decided not to buy DVC.
We just stayed at AKL Jambo in a regular room, and I absolutely loved it and found the room to be so spacious. I realize they’re not exactly the same resort, but our regular hotel room felt like it was truly a deluxe resort, while the studio felt a bit dumpy.

I recall touring AKV and I remember thinking the furniture seemed bulky and perhaps made the room feel smaller.

I've only stayed in a SSR studio thus far and I don't really recall having trouble getting to the balcony but the sofa bed was pulled out right at bed time and closed up 1st thing in the morning. I feel like the key to a studio is not leaving / needing the pullout open except when everyone is sleeping. I've got bigger kids now, but I think we (parents) would always take the sleeper sofa and put the kids in the bed since we would tend to be up and moving later / earlier. I liked having the couch for daytime use.

We've only stayed value / mod / DVC.

It really depends on your Travel preferences, we have fit the maximum in a Studio (plus child under 3) and we have done two people in a studio, all have worked fine.

I recall touring AKV and I remember thinking the furniture seemed bulky and perhaps made the room feel smaller.

I've only stayed in a SSR studio thus far and I don't really recall having trouble getting to the balcony but the sofa bed was pulled out right at bed time and closed up 1st thing in the morning. I feel like the key to a studio is not leaving / needing the pullout open except when everyone is sleeping. I've got bigger kids now, but I think we (parents) would always take the sleeper sofa and put the kids in the bed since we would tend to be up and moving later / earlier. I liked having the couch for daytime use.

We've only stayed value / mod / DVC.
I think that’s precisely why people think they’re for two people. When the sofa bed is in use, it’s waaaay too cramped. When it’s a couch, it’s fine. When your kids are small and need to nap, it’s kind of a pain to be constantly folding and unfolding that sofa bed.

• OCCUPANCY:

We also own Worldmark in addition to DVC. Frequently I have found that the WM studios are the LAST rooms to book full. If you have the points and it's only a small amount more to size up, who wouldn't?

You may enjoy the elbow room, but my guess is you'll miss some of what I like to call the "extreme togetherness", too. I know I'm a little bummed that we won't all be in 1 room for our upcoming Disney trip. I traveled quite a bit with just my girls about 3 years ago, and we mainly stayed in Hilton, Hampton Inn and a couple of Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites were nice in terms of space, but I remember feeling like I was missing out on late night whispers and giggles and snuggles. Yes, these are my teen girls and now they've got one foot out the door and how I miss that time!!!

Everyone goes into their own rooms here now, doors closed, headphones in and I'm sure that is what would happen in a 2 bedroom DVC as well. We have discussed the boys room / girls room option for our upcoming trip in 2 studios but we will likely just let my college kid and her bf have the 2nd studio. They will probably operate on their own schedule somewhat anyway. And I don't think either my husband or Ds boyfriend really wants to share a room with each other. lol I'm guessing I will get a lot of quality time with my 16 year old at least. I feel very lucky that she still enjoys spending so much time with me, so I'm gonna appreciate that for as long as it lasts!

We used to drive to Disney all the time and now we fly. I feel the same about that 20 hour car trip. Is a 8-9 hour trip easier than a 20 hour trip? Yep. Am I missing out on some really priceless "extreme togetherness"? Yep. Some great memories from that slap happy car time!

What great fun! This is the kind of 'togetherness' we had as a young family (and growing up with our parents as well). You can't put a price on this bonding and love.

I've owned DVC for 18 years and I've stayed in all sizes of rooms with all numbers of people/guests.

With family a studio is usually fine for us now, but as I get older, I want more space. Still, if it means having family with us and I've only got a studio booked, we make it work.

I've got a 2 bedroom booked for Hilton Head over July 4th week. That should be awesome! If I get sleepy from too much sun, wind and sea salt, I can find a door to close! There were five of us going and I was wishing we could downgrade to a one bedroom to save points - HH has a sleeper chair in the one and two bedrooms. Now, we have 7 going and my son started saying he wants to come. HH 2 bedrooms officially sleep 9 because of the sleeper chair. We may hit 9 yet and I'll love every minute - there's always a hammock hanging in a tree somewhere breezy on Hilton Head!

DVC bases points not on occupancy but square footage of a unit. One bedrooms are twice the space of a studio (2 rooms) and 2BRs 3 X the space (3 rooms). I think many of the point charts have already been changed to give the larger units a better and lower point cost per night than they should have. Otherwise DVC should be selling less points and that will never happen.

I think DVC made a big mistake adding another bed to a studio although it does help when families have an older boy and a girl. DVC should figure out how to add a murphy to the 1BR even if it goes up vertically into the wall. Or limit the occupancy of a studio to 4 guests and allow 1BRs to sleep five and bring your own bedding if needed for the fifth person. The studios are just in too high of a demand and the 1 BRs under utilized. All of the DVC units should be used equally.

DVC bases points not on occupancy but square footage of a unit. One bedrooms are twice the space of a studio (2 rooms) and 2BRs 3 X the space (3 rooms). I think many of the point charts have already been changed to give the larger units a better and lower point cost per night than they should have. Otherwise DVC should be selling less points and that will never happen.

I think DVC made a big mistake adding another bed to a studio although it does help when families have an older boy and a girl. DVC should figure out how to add a murphy to the 1BR even if it goes up vertically into the wall. Or limit the occupancy of a studio to 4 guests and allow 1BRs to sleep five and bring your own bedding if needed for the fifth person. The studios are just in too high of a demand and the 1 BRs under utilized. All of the DVC units should be used equally.

I don't really think the one bedrooms are under utilized. It seems to me that DVC occupancy is very high most of the time. It just may take longer to book out all the one bedrooms as the cheaper studios go faster. The rooms that seem to be left on the table closest to day off are the grand villas and cabins at some resorts.

I see studios as slightly better than a regular hotel room. You get the balcony and the kitchenette. Perhaps some don't like the sofa bed, but I like that it can be folded up and gives more space to move around and a usable "living room" during the day.

For us, DVC was a way to stay "deluxe" (I know....not really) for less money, but never for the kitchen, laundry, etc. Cooking and doing laundry are in no way an "upgrade" as far as I"m concerned!!! A 2 bedroom would be nice in terms of having a gathering space, but isn't worth the points IMO.

We've never looked into other timeshares.

That's pretty much our thinking too. We got a couple nights at the Polynesian on a trip a couple years ago and got spoiled. The space of a one- or two-bedroom would be nice, but I can't justify the cost. As it stands now, we get the deluxe (with the bigger room, nicer amenities and location, and a balcony) for moderate price. Our recent trip to PVB was the equivalent of ~$195/night.

As someone with young kids (and with families where I live trending to only have 1 kid), I LOVE the idea of the murphy bed in the studios because it enabled us to put our DD1 in the murphy when DD2 was still in a crib, and it felt luxurious to have a whole sitting area with a couch. Next time we are in a VGF studio, though, I wonder if the girls are going to fight over who gets the murphy, and we will have both the couch and the murphy bed folded out.

We alternated nights with our kids on the "Lilo bed" at PVB. It actually worked out really well. We wound up with the sofa and murphy bed out most of the time and it was fine for moving around. I think those rooms are a little wider than VGF, though.

DVC has spoiled us! For our family of 4, nothing less than a 2BR will do! We could suffer with the 1BR at Kidani or BLT, but 2 bathrooms have become a must for us. DH and I love that the kids have separate sleeping areas too.

Studios are okay for us for 2 adults and 2 kids. When we go with 4 adults, we usually spring for 2 studios or this next trip we are doing a 2 bedroom for 4 adults.
Depending on the people, we could possibly do 4 adults in a studio though we would feel somewhat cramped.

I guess I’m in the minority. We bought into DVC to go as much as possible. My teenagers are 14 and 16 and we always stay in Studios. We also stay in one room when we cruise (except for once). We don’t mind the close proximity and I wouldn’t spend double the points on a bigger room because that would mean I can’t go as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter