If you were not a soccer (association football) fan before, are you now based on the USWNT or USMNT?

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think expecting the WC (or CONCACAF) to generate more fans on it's own is unrealistic. Sure, a few people might start watching the game, but I think that would be a very small number.

I also agree that just because the MNT & WNT are representing the US doesn't mean every American has to like or even root for them. I also agree those who have made comments against the team have gotten backlash. But the team has gotten backlash. You can say it's part of their job and they're in the public eye and not everyone is going to agree with them, and that's all true. But when you post on a public message board, YOU'RE stating your beliefs "in the public eye" and not everyone is going to agree with them.

You’ve lost me. I would never expect everyone to agree with me! Where did I say that?

Differences in opinion is what makes the world go around. If we all agreed this would be a very boring place.

Thanks--how long does the season run? DW and I are planning a trip to London next year (probably fall) and I'd love to catch a game (match?) while we're there.

The Premier League runs from August to May (most leagues around the world do). London has some of the most respected clubs (and wealthiest) in the world. Many qualify for Europe's top competition, the Uefa Champions League (shown on TNT) or the Uefa Europa League (which is seen as second to the UCL). EPL games are usually on the weekends while UCL matches are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays twice a month in the Fall and Spring (same with the Europa League only with the games being played on Thursdays) . London also has lower division clubs (think minor leagues) that cost less to attend games but have excellent quality and entertainment value. England's second division is called the English Football League Championship. I hope this helps. I tried to give a simple answer without talking about some of the confusing details in soccer. :jumping3: ⚽🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧

I see where @lifesavacation was going.

I saw the question as do all American’s have to like the team? And if they are indifferent are they sexist too?

Maybe if it was questioned as do all Chicagoans have to like the Bears? (Can’t go MLB, they have 2 teams and if you saw footage there were brawls in the stands this weekend.)

It is interesting because On this thread the ones who aren’t in love are getting a little backlash. Fair enough. I get some are passionate. That’s cool. If it works for you, more power to you. I’m happy for you.

But not everyone is, and I don’t think being indifferent makes you wrong or a sexist.

No. The people who are getting a backlash are the ones criticizing their behavior (behavior which doesn't warrant criticism). That makes one sexist.

If you don't give a damn about soccer or the team, that is fine. There are many sports I don't give a damn about like lacrosse, rugby, boxing. I also don't give a damn when parents tell me how awesome their kids are at tee-ball. Means absolutely nothing to me.

You’ve lost me. I would never expect everyone to agree with me! Where did I say that?

Differences in opinion is what makes the world go around. If we all agreed this would be a very boring place.
Sorry, the first "you" I typed was specific to @fly girl. The other "you"'s I used were general.

I used to LOVE watching the US women’s team. And then they fired Hope Solo. And I couldn’t stand how political the US women’s team became. Haven’t watched a game since. Won’t watch another one.

We try to watch the men’s national team, but they are so terrible that it is painful to watch.

Huge soccer family. We just watch English soccer and Atlanta United :)

Atlanta is a great team. They really impressed me last year winning the MLS Cup. I feel bad for them drawing against the NY Red Bulls yesterday.

No. The people who are getting a backlash are the ones criticizing their behavior (behavior which doesn't warrant criticism). That makes one sexist.
No. Criticizing the behavior of the team does not make one sexist. Criticizing the behavior of the team because they are female would make one sexist. I'm sure there are some criticizing who are sexist. But I don't believe the majority are.

The Premier League runs from August to May (most leagues around the world do). London has some of the most respected clubs (and wealthiest) in the world. Many qualify for Europe's top competition, the Uefa Champions League (shown on TNT) or the Uefa Europa League (which is seen as second to the UCL). EPL games are usually on the weekends while UCL matches are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays twice a month in the Fall and Spring (same with the Europa League only with the games being played on Thursdays) . London also has lower division clubs (think minor leagues) that cost less to attend games but have excellent quality and entertainment value. England's second division is called the English Football League Championship. I hope this helps. I tried to give a simple answer without talking about some of the confusing details in soccer. :jumping3: ⚽🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧

Very clear, and great info--thanks!

No. Criticizing the behavior of the team does not make one sexist. Criticizing the behavior of the team because they are female would make one sexist. I'm sure there are some criticizing who are sexist. But I don't believe the majority are.
Hesitant to jump in here, but I would like to point out that if someone is criticizing the women's team for the same behavior that men's teams display without criticism, then it IS sexist because it's expecting different behaviors purely because they're women. Just wanted that clarified.

I have not watched a lot of soccer over the years, but I have seen enough to know that men always run around with their arms out or drop to their knees whenever they score a goal, so I found it incredibly sexist and unfair when women are hammered for the same behavior. Why are only male athletes allowed to swagger? I think these women earned their laurels.

Hesitant to jump in here, but I would like to point out that if someone is criticizing the women's team for the same behavior that men's teams display without criticism, then it IS sexist because it's expecting different behaviors purely because they're women. Just wanted that clarified.

I have not watched a lot of soccer over the years, but I have seen enough to know that men always run around with their arms out or drop to their knees whenever they score a goal, so I found it incredibly sexist and unfair when women are hammered for the same behavior. Why are only male athletes allowed to swagger? I think these women earned their laurels.

Yup this is exactly what I was going for. Although it's possible I didn't specify it enough to Sam's liking.

"The woman's team hurt their sport, did damage to the nation, and disrespected the flag, and the office of the president." Seems some here think that is Exactly the case.
Nope. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. They are a sports team. Not some national US identity worthy of unwavering admiration and loyalty. So weird.

I'm guessing here, but if they would have won the first game 3-0, or even 5-0, there wouldn't have been any complaints over the celebrations. The 13-0 rubbed a lot of people the wrong way to start. Then they looked at the continued celebration at 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Please show where the men's team has kept celebrating at 8+ goals (heck, find where the men could SCORE 8 goals in a game).
And before you think I'm dogging on the women, if you go back in one of these threads, I actually defended the celebrations. Now, if you can find someone who admits it's ok for (or at least defends) the men to celebrate but not the women, then I agree they're sexist. I don't think that's the case in the majority of people.

"The woman's team hurt their sport, did damage to the nation, and disrespected the flag, and the office of the president." Seems some here think that is Exactly the case.

Lol. Yeah, that's an opinion I don't share ;) People get very passionate about their sports.

I'm guessing here, but if they would have won the first game 3-0, or even 5-0, there wouldn't have been any complaints over the celebrations. The 13-0 rubbed a lot of people the wrong way to start. Then they looked at the continued celebration at 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Please show where the men's team has kept celebrating at 8+ goals (heck, find where the men could SCORE 8 goals in a game).
And before you think I'm dogging on the women, if you go back in one of these threads, I actually defended the celebrations. Now, if you can find someone who admits it's ok for (or at least defends) the men to celebrate but not the women, then I agree they're sexist. I don't think that's the case in the majority of people.

NFL players are celebrated and cheered when they dance after sacking the QB, making a big catch, or score a TD. Even in blowouts. Football team wins 50+ to nothing, they are celebrated. People who feel sorry for the loser are told that the team should have "stopped them" if they didn't want to be embarrassed.

Give me a break with the nonsense. Save it for someone else.

Have you never been to a baseball game? Every home run is wildly celebrated, and the higher the score difference, the crazier it gets--I just witnessed this a month ago and it wasn't even a major elimination game. But that final score was something like 7-1. That's high by baseball standards. Why should this woman's team be denied their right to celebrate their rise to the top just because the opposing team failed to keep up, even though they were in a playoff game? That other team wasn't exactly chopped liver until that day. This is still feeling like a double-standard.

Have you never been to a baseball game? Every home run is wildly celebrated, and the higher the score difference, the crazier it gets--I just witnessed this a month ago and it wasn't even a major elimination game. But that final score was something like 7-1. That's high by baseball standards. Why should this woman's team be denied their right to celebrate their rise to the top just because the opposing team failed to keep up, even though they were in a playoff game? That other team wasn't exactly chopped liver until that day. This is still feeling like a double-standard.

ESPN even took out an ad saying "let the kids play." I.e. let them dance, jump, pound their chest, and flip their bats.

But, when it comes to women, nah, we're gonna make them curtsy and that's it.

If you're not going to read the thread, please don't respond to me. I've never criticized the celebrations. I simply pointed out not everyone criticizing the women is sexist. If you'd rather believe they all are, go ahead.

NFL players are celebrated and cheered when they dance after sacking the QB, making a big catch, or score a TD. Even in blowouts. Football team wins 50+ to nothing, they are celebrated. People who feel sorry for the loser are told that the team should have "stopped them" if they didn't want to be embarrassed.

Give me a break with the nonsense. Save it for someone else.
And you'd rather believe people are sexist. That's fine. I believe it's more because people don't understand soccer celebrations.

And you'd rather believe people are sexist. That's fine. I believe it's more because people don't understand soccer celebrations.

If people don't understand soccer celebrations, they should educate themselves. Being ignorant isn't much to be proud of either. But, yes, there are no doubt a mix of sexist and ignorant posters in our midst.

If people don't understand soccer celebrations, they should educate themselves. Being ignorant isn't much to be proud of either. But, yes, there are no doubt a mix of sexist and ignorant posters in our midst.

Sexist, ignorant...there are always a few of them in every crowd. I believe some of the "hate" here is based on politics as well, but that is something that can't be discussed on these boards. With some it's pretty easy to fill in the blanks though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!