If You Were Pregnant, Would You Ditch Your Husband For WDW...?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
My parents go to WDW every June for a couple weeks. As it happens, I will be starting my "own" maternity leave in June (I will be joining the SAHM community.) Our baby is due mid-August.

My parents have invited my DH and I to join them, but my DH will unfortunately not be able to get time off, so he won't be able to go. We just figured thanks, but no thanks!

But the more I think, the more I would like to go, even myself. I'd like to buy some artwork (cels) and stuffed animals and clothes and things for the baby. It would also be fun to do Disney one more time before the baby comes.

I haven't mentioned my plans to DH, but I am sure he will say to go. FWIW, my parents drive... I also know I would need permission to "travel" from my OB... this is assuming he gives me the go ahead.

Would YOU leave your DH at 7 months pregnant to go to WDW with your parents? Am I being selfish?

Well, I wasn't pregnant but I left DH home to go to WDW. :teeth:

He couldn't get the time off from work...so I went without him.

yup, i'd go! i'd probably have to rent a scooter cause my ankles/legs/feet were so swollen by that time, i wouldn't have made it, but yup, i'd go!

have a great time! there are really cute baby things there! :lovestruc

While DH and I have both vacationed separate from each other (he hates WDW and I hate camping/fishing), I don't think I would go at 7 months pregnant.

Babies can come early, and I would feel awful if he missed his child's birth because he couldn't get there in time.

I wouldn't. Nothing to do with the "ditching the husband" part, I just wouldn't want to be walking everywhere in June Florida heat at 7 months pregnant...

My parents go to WDW every June for a couple weeks. As it happens, I will be starting my "own" maternity leave in June (I will be joining the SAHM community.) Our baby is due mid-August.

My parents have invited my DH and I to join them, but my DH will unfortunately not be able to get time off, so he won't be able to go. We just figured thanks, but no thanks!

But the more I think, the more I would like to go, even myself. I'd like to buy some artwork (cels) and stuffed animals and clothes and things for the baby. It would also be fun to do Disney one more time before the baby comes.

I haven't mentioned my plans to DH, but I am sure he will say to go. FWIW, my parents drive... I also know I would need permission to "travel" from my OB... this is assuming he gives me the go ahead.

Would YOU leave your DH at 7 months pregnant to go to WDW with your parents? Am I being selfish?

I don't get the being selfish question...
are you worried about your husband "missing out" on a few days of your pregnancy? :confused3
What does pregnancy have to do with whether you go or not? if you weren't pregnant would you question whether you would go? :confused3

Yes, I would and I wouldn't even think twice about it. I have never done WDW pregnant but I have gone without my dh twice since we've been married since he could not get the time off from work. I went once with my mom and one of my brothers and once I went with my mom for a girls only trip. I also went to FL with my mom, stepdad, and dd once without dh to visit my relatives.

You will still be 2 months away from your due date so I would go. It will be hot during that time so you will need to take precautions (lots of water, shade, and breaks) but it can be done.

Hell yeah! And unless you are having a difficult pregnancy there won't be any objections from your OB.

Go enjoy!

I agree with VA family. The florida heat is brutal when not pregnant, and i wouldn't want to be out in it pregnant.
Plus there is always the chance baby might want to try to come early, and I wouldn't want to chance being so far from home.
you are talking a couple weeks in june being away, and baby is due mid august.
I would personally wait til the trip time gets closer and see how you feel then.

I don't get the being selfish question...
are you worried about your husband "missing out" on a few days of your pregnancy? :confused3
What does pregnancy have to do with whether you go or not? if you weren't pregnant would you question whether you would go? :confused3

I would question it even if I weren't, yes. I question it more as a pregnant woman, because something about being pregnant makes it just feel "different" than if I weren't.

I travelled at 7 months away for the weekend for a family function without DH - not to WDW (or in my case Dland) and it was a bit strange without him - but I needed to go (my cousin's funeral) totally different thing - but I did realize that if something had happened (god forbid) my DH would be at least 4 hours away by flight to get to me. I think you have to weigh those thoughts as well. And the hormones/emotions without him around were awful :sad2:

I did not renew my DL annual pass at 7 months pregnant because it wasn't fun anymore (walking, crowds, heat), but I think a resort vacation is a bit different. As long as you know that this won't be a typical WDW trip where you go dawn till dusk walking all day you'd be fine. I would definitely make sure to visit the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon. That sounds like heaven for a pregnant lady!

I did get my AP back when DD was 3 months old, and we've been going ever since!

As long as I was healthy and everything was fine with the pregnancy - I would go. I went when pregnant and just took it easy and rested a little more! :thumbsup2

No, I wouldn't leave my DH to go to WDW with my parents at 7 months.

Other posters have mentioned the logicstics of heat and 7th month pregnancies, so that's one reason. You also mentioned getting permission from your doctor to travel, so that's another warning bell in my head because it sounds like yours is a fragile pregnancy.

But the main reason I wouldn't go is because I know my DH. When seeing a toddler run up to Mickey or Goofy for a hug and photo, I think he'd miss being able to put his arms around me, touch my belly and share with me the moment of thinking that this is what's in store for us. Someday our child will be the one running up to Mickey or Goofy. Same with seeing a baby at a nearby table in a restaurant staring at the characters. Someday that's going to be our child.

These are the moment that make up a pregnancy; the anticipation, those shared feelings instances when you're looking into each other's eyes and knowing that you're both thinking the same thing and basking in the love of that moment and knowledge.

Going to WDW without your DH and him missing out on those precious moments in a new place would be selfish, IMO. So for me, I wouldn't do it. There will always be other trips to "shop" at WDW. There will never be another 7th month moment with that first child.

If you are driving make sure you plan on the drive taking an hour or so longer to allow for extra bathroom stops! I made a few car trips about the length of your trip when I was 7-8 months pregnant and the vibration will make you have to go a lot.
plus you should get out and move every couple of hours for blood flow, and your back.

GO! Have a magical time and enjoy your time with your parents!

OP, congrats again on the pregnancy. Consult your OB. Talk with your husband. you want to go and have a little vacation before this baby comes and you know what? sometimes, you need to "recharge" your batteries as it were. Sometimes,it's ok to be selfish. If this is your way of taking care of you, spending time with your parents, having Disney pamper you-no cooking, no cleaning, then you do it.

Maybe they have a I love my daddy disneyworld onesie you could buy and give it to him from the baby to be while you are down there(ok, I have no idea if they would have it, but I am sure they have onsies.

I went to WDW (with DH) at 7 months pregnant. Very pregnant. ((( I loved every minute. We went in Oct., there were still some pretty warm days. For some reason AK was terrifically hot during our stay and we cut that day short. But other than that, it was a stellar trip!

If your DH doesn't mind and the doctor gives his/her okay, I don't see why you shouldn't go.

I consulted my doctor. He gave me the go ahead. We drove, did frequent breaks to stretch my legs and restroom breaks.

The key is to stay hydrated and take breaks. It's a lot of walking. I did end up getting a wheel chair about 1/2 way through our stay. I didn't want to, but I needed it. And it wasn't so bad giving in after all. If you stay on site, you can borrow a wheel chair from your resort without a fee. That was nice. Anyway, it was a welcome relief. I felt like I wasn't holding up everyone because I did need to stop for a rest frequently.

I didn't ride many rides, but I enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere and the shopping. :) Oh, and you can lounge by the pool. That alone would be very nice. Enjoy the quiet. Before you are in the thick of things so to speak. You will love being in the thick of things, but you will love the quiet beforehand too.

ETA- I forgot to tell you congratulations on your pregnancy! Exciting times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter