If your not a Facebook person , why ?

I have facebook and check it frequently. We live fairly remotely from most of our family, and as I don't have a cell phone, I find FB/Messenger a convenient way to stay in touch with my friends/family, see photos of peoples' kids and grandkids, etc. However, I've been very selective about whom I "friend;" they are all folks I know in real life, people who are really my friends and family. I think I probably have about 40 "friends." I think my page is private, I don't get much advertising or crap (except Tasty and Delish... not sure how they got there or how to get rid of them). I am a member of 3 groups; two are family-related (both set up during medical crises) and the third is from my 40th high school reunion- we had a blast and have stayed in touch. (Hmmm... do the people who are parts of a group increase your friend count? If so, I guess I have more friends than I thought...)

As in real life, I have a short fuse for "crap" on facebook and never hesitate to say "don't show me this anymore!" I have gotten "in trouble" over FB (still don't know which is more acceptable- unfriending or blocking) but refuse to get sucked into the drama. Life is too short. I use FB for what I need, and most of my daily friends don't use it much, so the "I read on FB" syndrome doesn't effect me.

I have been on FB a few years, but rarely post anything myself. I think the last thing I posted was when I became a Great-grandmother while we were on vacation in September. I like checking to see what my grandchildren are up to but only the oldest does very much posting. The others seem to have moved on to other things like snap chat and Instagram, neither of which I care to get into. Other than my grandchildren I do have real life friends on FB, and keep in touch with a few from high school but if I don’t know someone in real life I don’t care to add them to my FB friends.

I have all notifications turned off so I’m not bothered with those, and most days I only check in with FB once.

I would like to have Facebook for keeping up with old friends who live out of state, but I was stuck listening to people I didn’t really want to be Facebook friends with in the first place (close family members who love to stir up drama) but didn’t want to stir up trouble by unfriending them. I just quit completely and I’m much happier.

I'm not on Facebook either.

First, it was because I am not an "early-adapter" to any new tech. I watch and wait a bit, and finally learn it.
Then, it was because I was substitute teaching, and I didn't feel comfortable with students being able to search me.
Then, it was stories of the drama that other people got caught up in.
Now, I figure it's just too late. Those early-adapters are already moving on to other things.

Sometimes I regret not signing up, because I think I missed out on an easy way to see photos from family and friends.

But most of the time, I figure I escaped feeling responsible for keeping up with a lot more people than I actually do. I'm not the social butterfly type at all, so I probably would have found that exhausting.

Says the man with over 10,000 posts here :)

I'd also suggest to all those on this thread who do no social media...but you're here.:confused: I think a lot of content on the Dis is essentially the same as what gets posted on FB, but here we all have an alias. I don't do FB either, but I'm definitely social with others here and on some other sites of varied interests.

I have Facebook but I’m slowly making the break from it. Maybe I’m getting old or something but I just can’t care about what everyone is eating or the new clothes they bought or the new fitness program they’ve joined. And the selfies! So. Many. Selfies. :rolleyes2 I rarely post anymore and really only check it for updates on school and sporting activities for my daughter.

My MIL checks fb constantly. Every single persons page with her morning coffee. Shares everything and really thinks if it’s there it’s true.

My FIL unfriended me years ago when my kids stayed at his house while I traveled to a friends wedding. I posted pics of the trip and it annoyed him.

My mother blocked me because she got mad that I didn’t share details of my teenage daughters boyfriend passing. Because protecting her privacy (and not broadcasting all her bad choices) is such a bad thing.

Literally I can’t handle the drama.

I consider myself a private person, but I made an account, more than 10 years ago when I tried to find some information "only available on Facebook" Suddenly I was getting "friend requests" right and left from people I considered acquaintances and I was not close enough or comfortable enough with many of them to want to share a bunch of personal stuff. But I felt it would be rude to reject those requests, so I reluctantly accepted because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or create some kind of issue or perceived slight in the circles we shared. It just felt so awkward. I never built up my page or even used it.

My husband made an account many years later when our kids were teenagers, just to keep tabs on their activity. Sometimes I log in to his account to look at my kids' pages, sometimes I see his feed, but that's it.

He has collected "friends" with many family members, and a few friends. Most annoying is the political stuff. And a few of the posts by a few people that seem like bragging.I admit that his feed naturally is about his interest groups too that are more his passion than mine. If I had an active page, obviously I'd be more following my own hobbies, etc. And games, jokes, etc. Drama, comments meant to be joking totally taken the wrong way. Some it reminds my of the "group email jokes" and cute stories the older generation used to circulate endlessly. It also feels like it's all about creating an image of ones life you want everyone else to see. I guess that's what FB, Instagram, etc other social media is all about. Personally, I already have enough screen time hobbies without adding social media. I want to focus the rest of my time in the real world, not the virtual one.

I have resisted for SO many years mainly because I see some family members, not kids mind you, who are in their 50's, early 60's, so ADDICTED to Facebook that I wonder how they do anything else in their life and get involved with SO MUCH DRAMA!. With that being said, I certainly would like to "reconnect" with folks from high school, other communities that we have lived in. What really upsets me is that these say family members have "friended" our sons, who are now almost 31 and 23 when they were in college(oldest son) and youngest son when he was in high school through college. Oldest son does not use facebook anymore and youngest rarely, they are both more into Snapchat, Instagram. Anyway, we feel that the family members friended our kids to "almost" stalk the kids, to try to keep up with what the heck they were doing. Who cares, is your life really that dull that you truly care what the kids are doing in college while they are ADULTS? They attempted to connect with them on Instagram and Snapchat, but the our kids didn't "buy into it". For Gods sake, it is almost like they were trying to stalk what the heck they were doing socially. Most kids drink and party in college, we accept that, hopefully responsibly. If not, they will have to accept the consequences of negative actions. DH and I have communicated openly on the subject of responsible behavior and pray that both sons have absorbed the conversations about the dangers of over indulgence and possible addictions in alcohol and drugs. Fast forward, now these family members kids are in high school age, one nephew is middle school and are all heavily into social media. Maybe I should get into social media and friend and follow the nieces and nephews to find out what the heck they are doing, or lets say "shouldn't be doing,:scratchin HAHA".:laughing: It is almost like our relatives were seeking that "GOTCHA MOMENT" for our adult sons but haven't found any yet, LOL!:laughing:

I'm on Facebook and like it to keep up with family and friends all over the world. I'm not that active though in terms of posting. I do check my feed a few times a day. I get news stories, stuff about my daughter's college and things from family and friends. I think the last time I posted anything was Christmas time.

I used to really be into Facebook but I'm not anymore. I find it annoying. With that being said my 7 year old mother is addicted to Facebook and is constantly on it. I just find I could use my in time for better things like reading posts on the disboards.

... we feel that the family members friended our kids to "almost" stalk the kids, to try to keep up with what the heck they were doing. Who cares, is your life really that dull that you truly care what the kids are doing in college while they are ADULTS? ...

Of course you know your relatives better than I, but why do you think they would stalk your kids? I love being in contact with my college-aged niece. She posts pictures of shows she's in, we exchange messages (she's a Valentine's Day baby, so we just had a double-celebration-day), and generally "visit" electronically. She is in school about 300 miles away, there's no way I can go to her plays and such, and it's just nice to be in contact. I don't think of it as stalking- I love my niece and love still being part of her life.

Of course you know your relatives better than I, but why do you think they would stalk your kids? I love being in contact with my college-aged niece. She posts pictures of shows she's in, we exchange messages (she's a Valentine's Day baby, so we just had a double-celebration-day), and generally "visit" electronically. She is in school about 300 miles away, there's no way I can go to her plays and such, and it's just nice to be in contact. I don't think of it as stalking- I love my niece and love still being part of her life.
Trust me, the "friending and following was done to "stalk", one of the relatives literally sits on facebook all day while working, can't imagine, but that is the truth, high paying position as well. They are involved in way TOO MUCH DRAMA,!:mad:

I have Facebook up most of the day at work. Mostly because my phone doesn’t work well in the building and messenger is the quickest way for my kids to reach me.

There is drama at times. Usually some one posts something, somebody else takes it wrong and things blow up but other than chuckeling at it, I just ignore it. I don’t believe half of what is posted as “news” but instead follow a couple of actual news sources, mostly local to get the actual news.

I enjoy sharing pictures of the kids and what is going on in their lives. And I enjoy seeing what relatives who live far away are up to. I don’t “stalk” them, just see what shows up on my feed. Mostly have used it to catch up with old friends from high school days. After not seeing each other for a few years, we are a fairly close group now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter