Ige usually announces around the 15th if he is pushing another month

Hawai’i is supposed to have made a deal with CVS for the rapid testing. If that is actually happening, it certainly would be convenient.

except for all the tourists that don't come from mainland USA. No CVS in Canada, Japan etc

I live n Plano, NTX. My wife did rapid test last Mon and got the result back in a day. She was referred by the doctor. I am not sure if insurance will cover for travel. My guess is no. Also, does the rapid test meet the criteria set by the governor in Hawaii. My guess is no again, but we will find out.

this is what is said is needed:
the state said only FDA-approved coronavirus tests known as nucleic acid amplification tests are approved as part of Hawaii’s travel program.

Luckily Hawaiian Air cancelled my flight today. At least I get a refund. My flights into And out of the US have already been refunded 2 weeks ago.
Did a work mandated COVID test yesterday which came back in 8 hours.
Unluckily i rented DVC Aulani privately.

I live n Plano, NTX. My wife did rapid test last Mon and got the result back in a day. She was referred by the doctor. I am not sure if insurance will cover for travel. My guess is no. Also, does the rapid test meet the criteria set by the governor in Hawaii. My guess is no again, but we will find out.

I guess it depends on who created/manufactured the rapid tests?? Here's a snippit from Ige's website - it says:
  • Currently approved trusted testing partners are CVS and Kaiser Permanente
I guess this means that before you're "rapid" tested you must check with the tester/injectionist/administering office to see who the manufacturer of the rapid test is?

Aside from that, can't hurt to submit to your insurance company. Back in February my company send a company wide email saying that our company and our insurance combined would cover all COVID-19 related costs through the end of 2020.

Go Hawaii is run by the Hawaii Tourism Authority and their website has the most updated, comprehensive info on the Covid testing program: https://www.gohawaii.com/safe-travels

What Corgi Monster posted above is exactly the site you should go to. It is the most accurate and updated.

Also to answer a previous post, the rapid test does not count. It’s not a NAAT. But Hawaii has allowances now in case your test is not ready.

What Corgi Monster posted above is exactly the site you should go to. It is the most accurate and updated.

Also to answer a previous post, the rapid test does not count. It’s not a NAAT. But Hawaii has allowances now in case your test is not ready.

I'll have to read the link that you posted in its entirety, but are all rapid tests excluded? Some rapid tests take hours and some take days... that sucks if so.

-- But, that said, 72 hour tests aren't considered "rapid"? Asking because I genuinely don't know, not challening your post. When the virus first appeared test results took weeks...

An NAAT test needs to be processed by a lab without exception therefore anything "rapid" that requires no lab is out (currently)

Go Hawaii is run by the Hawaii Tourism Authority and their website has the most updated, comprehensive info on the Covid testing program: https://www.gohawaii.com/safe-travels

What Corgi Monster posted above is exactly the site you should go to. It is the most accurate and updated and operated by the state.

Also to answer a previous post, the rapid test does not count. It’s not a NAAT. But the state has allowances now in case your test is not ready.

I'll have to read the link that you posted in its entirety, but are all rapid tests excluded? Some rapid tests take hours and some take days... that sucks if so.

-- But, that said, 72 hour tests aren't considered "rapid"? Asking because I genuinely don't know, not challening your post. When the virus first appeared test results took weeks...

The name "Rapid Test" does speak to how long it takes to administer and receive results, but it's really less about the time and more about the process/method. If my understanding is still current, the currently approved test is an RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase- polymerase chain reaction). It takes a sample of yours, breaks it into pieces and amplifies the sequences that match the virus. It's more accurate, but does have its drawbacks. The concept behind the rapid test is that it can be a "point of service" test- not all places set up the process that way. It uses a different process to test for the virus, which can be a little less accurate, but I have hope the accuracy will improve over time. I hope that's helpful to think of these tests in terms of their protocols/process/methods. Cheers! :cutie:

So yes, POS are antigen tests, which are synonymous to so-called “rapid” tests. These are the ones that take 15 min or so and are run in a small machine. They are most useful near peak-shedding states.

The more accurate tests that take 24-96 hours are generally the NAAT/PCR tests; this is the state’s requirement.

For what it’s worth, CVS allows (or at least allowed) you to self-swab in your car. This may be more comfortable, but you can also infer the effect on accuracy which one can read about readily.

—-
(Lesson learned from my August gullibility of believing their testing announcement was real: If I ever go to Hawaii during pandemic, I’ll do it last minute when 1) I know the latest testing turnaround times in my area, 2) after I’ve seen the state system working, 3) with refundable lodging options, and 4) without lag time for the governor to announce yet another delay (he usually mulls around for a week after the media start to leak it.)

Last edited:
I figure we won't really hear any details on how CVS testing will work until around Oct 10, since you don't need a test until Oct 12 if you're going to be first on the 15th. But for crying out loud, Aulani!! Tell us when you're going to open!!

I figure we won't really hear any details on how CVS testing will work until around Oct 10, since you don't need a test until Oct 12 if you're going to be first on the 15th. But for crying out loud, Aulani!! Tell us when you're going to open!!
I have to assume with how many times the Governor has changed course - they are being really cautious before announcing anything - hopefully we will hear around the first of the month if they do indeed to try to open the DVC side on 10/15 - that gives cast 2 weeks to prepare the resort - here's hoping!

We got an email from our resort in Maui to let us know that they are planning to open Dec 1st if the plan for reopening by oct 15th is still in place as they will need time to train the staff with safety protocols and other requirements that resorts need to comply by. I am thinking that even though the governor is announcing plans to reopen in oct, they are building a buffer with slow opening of resorts to avoid mass influx of tourists as there is pent up demand.

I just can't imagine the DVC side staying closed for an additional 40+ days if the island is open - especially over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have to assume that they have been watching WDW closely and have already started to implement changes at the resort....guess we will see! We own here and have no desire to go to use our points at WDW at this time until park hopping is back so we are holding out as long as we can for our Thanksgiving Aulani stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!