Iger's return getting extended?

Alphabet would be the other consideration. Having ESPN with YouTube TV without the whole carriage deal negotiations.

I don't see how it gets them anything. You'd have to want to own a cable or broadcast network.

Google, Amazon and Apple can already license any content produced by production studios owned by Disney, Warner, Universal, Sony or Paramount. I guess you would get first pass, but it's not like ABC is swooping up all the good content. It's like what, the #3 network?

If you buy one of the cable networks, it's going to be a nightmare of continuing to bribe the cable companies (including Comcast) to continue to carry your channel with declining viewership and ad revenue. That's how that market works. You literally pay the regional carriers to take your channel. Are people still watching "Twilight" or The Office re-runs on basic cable?

If you pick up ABC, it's an American institution and icon, but you are again burdened by declining viewership and ad revenue. You also have a duty to continue the expensive news division and you're spending a ton of money on professional and college sports licensing. Disney has already sold off most of the local stations they once owned. They still own the flagships WABC-TV (NYC) and KABC-TV (LA) along with KGO-TV (SFO), WLS-TV (CHI) and a handful of others.

Of the legacy networks owned by Disney, ABC would be the most valuable, but you're going to have baggage.

I don't see how it gets them anything. You'd have to want to own a cable or broadcast network.

Google, Amazon and Apple can already license any content produced by production studios owned by Disney, Warner, Universal, Sony or Paramount. I guess you would get first pass, but it's not like ABC is swooping up all the good content. It's like what, the #3 network?

If you buy one of the cable networks, it's going to be a nightmare of continuing to bribe the cable companies (including Comcast) to continue to carry your channel with declining viewership and ad revenue. That's how that market works. You literally pay the regional carriers to take your channel. Are people still watching "Twilight" or The Office re-runs on basic cable?

If you pick up ABC, it's an American institution and icon, but you are again burdened by declining viewership and ad revenue. You also have a duty to continue the expensive news division and you're spending a ton of money on professional and college sports licensing. Disney has already sold off most of the local stations they once owned. They still own the flagships WABC-TV (NYC) and KABC-TV (LA) along with KGO-TV (SFO), WLS-TV (CHI) and a handful of others.

Of the legacy networks owned by Disney, ABC would be the most valuable, but you're going to have baggage.
Totally agreed with all points there, it’s a messy process to even want to acquire the legacy networks.

As far as acquiring Disney though, Alphabet could easily dismantle D+, Hulu, ESPN+ and find ways to incorporate that digital content into their YouTube TV service.

Their service already offers a cable like experience so the transition for them isn’t as large as it would be for Amazon/Apple. Alphabet kind of becomes just like Comcast who has to already do those negotiations for all of their NBC Universal Channels with the other cable providers.

Not saying it’s going to happen, but they should probably be in the conversation if there is one. Plus based on liabilities and assets Disney is worth around $109B, Alphabet was sitting on $115B in Cash on Hand as of March.

Opinion/commentary. But pertinent, imo.

Iger, Ego & Superego
7/16/2023
William D. Cohan

Notes on the extension heard round the world, the comp question, the deal hypotheses, and whether Iger at Disney is the living exception to the de Gaulle postulation.

Bob Iger’s two-year return trip to the Disney corner office has been extended—surprise, surprise—until the last day of December 2026, just as my Puck partner Matt Belloni and I predicted a few weeks ago. It seemed like Iger enjoys being back in the limelight, and he has not really done anything to position anyone to succeed him, despite the Disney board retaining Heidrick & Struggles and creating a subcommittee of the board of directors to focus on succession (as, of course, it should).

Meanwhile, during the course of his first year back in office, Iger’s burdens increased rather than diminished, and many of the strategic decisions he made during his original tenure—the Murdoch deal, the challenges at Marvel, the uneven Disney+ strategy—have returned to haunt him and can’t fairly be blamed on his short-lived predecessor, Bob Chapek, no matter how convenient. Anyway, it has not been a Hollywood ending: Disney stock has gone down about 4 percent since Iger returned to Burbank, and yet the hapless Disney board of directors had no choice but to believe that Iger alone could save them.

I’ve always loved the de Gaulle aphorism that the graveyards are full of indispensable men. (Indeed, this thought haunted my many long days and nights at Lazard, and elsewhere on Wall Street, as highfalutin bankers, perhaps the future subjects of Dry Powder, pushed an endless stream of work across my desk.) The Disney board may feel this way, too, but I am told by my Wall Street sources that Iger took the two-year extension only “reluctantly.” That seems hard to believe, although he did say in his now famous tone-deaf interview with CNBC’s Dave Faber on the “sidelines” of the Allen & Co. Sun Valley conference last week that he did enjoy his brief 11 months of retirement and only came back to Disney because the board of directors asked him to return. (A Disney spokesperson declined to elaborate beyond what Iger told Faber.)

There’s plenty of revisionist history there, of course. Iger wasn’t a retirement guy. His effort to buy the Phoenix Suns didn’t amount to much, his personal investment portfolio seemed semi-cocked, his Thrive Capital affiliation seemed only partly heartfelt, and obviously he wasn’t going to become president. Iger has been associated with Disney or its entities for a half century, after all, and he has always been well compensated by the company. (Not nearly as well compensated as David Zaslav, but that’s another story.) In fiscal year 2021, Chapek received total compensation of $32.5 million; Iger, who was the executive chairman of the Disney board of directors, received $45.9 million.

It looks like Iger took a pay cut when he returned as C.E.O. His salary was $1 million with the potential for a $1 million bonus, plus an annual stock grant of $25 million. During the partial fiscal year of 2022, Iger received $15 million, according to the 2023 proxy statement. In his new deal, signed July 12, Iger not only extended his contract to the end of 2026 but also will receive a potential annual incentive bonus of up to 5x his $1 million salary, or $5 million, up from the $1 million he agreed to when he returned in November 2022. I assume he’s still eligible for the same annual $25 million stock grant he agreed to before, although the new letter agreement between him and the company is silent on that detail. It’s probably just a given at this point. In other words, as part of his two-year contract extension, Iger now has the potential to make $31 million a year, up from $27 million a year.

The Second Iger Era

So, he gets a $4 million raise and his contract extension, for doing what exactly? The stock has been mostly flat, as I noted, since he returned. He did see off the activist investor threats from both Dan Loeb and Nelson Peltz, so he gets credit for that, I suppose, but I’m not sure that he really accomplished anything by doing so. He’s eliminated some 7,000 jobs, part of a promised $5.5 billion cut to Disney’s expenses. But he’s been unable to stem the losses at Disney+ and Disney’s other direct-to-consumer businesses, including ESPN+ and Hulu, which collectively have lost some $10 billion since Disney started reporting their financial performance in 2019.

Disney has promised that streaming would be profitable by September 2024, although that goal may be rather elusive at the moment. Only Netflix has been able to figure out how to make streaming profitable; all the others are losing money, although Warner Bros. Discovery’s streaming businesses could be profitable in 2023, or so the Zaz has said. Iger’s restructuring of the company, designed to return authority to the creative types, will take time to produce box-office gold; meanwhile, the various movies coming out of Disney’s studios—Elemental; Ant-Man and the Wasp; the remake of The Little Mermaid; and, yikes, the reported $300 million spent on the final Indiana Jones installment with Harrison Ford in the lead role—have been disappointing, at best. (One notable exception was the second Avatar film, which grossed more than $2.2 billion in global box office revenue.) There have been some “creative misses,” Iger acknowledged in the CNBC interview, presumably blaming them on Chapek, but he’s the one who designed Disney’s modern wring-the-I.P.-sponge-dry value creation strategy.

Traffic at various Disney theme parks has been relatively tepid, too, according to the Wall Street Journal. (In his CNBC interview, Iger said the Journal article was “not accurate actually” because it didn’t “factor in” 100-degree temperatures in Florida, with 99 percent humidity. This put me in the mind of retailers who often blame “the weather” for poor sales.) He remains in a political, and now legal, fight with Florida governor Ron DeSantis. The company is also still grappling with net debt of some $38 billion, thanks in large part to Iger’s 2017 decision to consent to a bidding war, with Brian Roberts at Comcast, for Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox. Iger won the battle, paying some $71.3 billion for Fox, but Disney may now be losing the war. The Fox assets have yet to provide much of a return on the hefty purchase price Iger paid but the debt Disney took on is relentless and demands service.

Iger will also probably have to pay a fresh $10 billion to Comcast to buy the one-third of Hulu he doesn’t already own, unless he takes my advice and swaps Disney’s 80 percent of ESPN for that Hulu stake. (This is not investment advice.) He admitted in the CNBC interview that after he came back he studied whether Disney should buy the last third of Hulu that Comcast owns. He decided, he said, “We would be better off having Hulu than not having Hulu.” So, Bob, if that’s the case, why not get a little creative in your dealmaking? There’s an opportunity here to solve a few strategic problems at once, with Hulu as the bait.

He’s also not been able to do anything to stem the decline of Disney’s linear TV offerings at both ABC and ESPN. As part of his “everything is on the table” world tour, Iger conceded that Disney’s linear TV assets—especially the ABC television network and its station affiliates (where Iger got his start)—may have to go on the block, although I’m struggling to imagine who would want to catch that falling knife and what they would pay for it. I could feel the shudders emanating from West 66th Street in my bones after that comment.

Iger also said, once again, that ESPN might need some help, even though he claimed to love the business. “If you look at today’s media landscape, sports stands very, very tall in terms of its ability to convene millions and millions of people all at once,” he said. “There’s almost a guarantee that that occurs. It’s an advertiser’s dream.”

That comment probably made Jimmy Pitaro pretty happy. But, he also said, he was open minded about the need for a “strategic partner” for ESPN, one that could be helpful with either “content or distribution.” To me, this is Iger code for doing a deal with Comcast for ESPN, or as an investor in ESPN, as part of the Hulu swap.

Of course, Comcast has both content and distribution that would be useful for ESPN. In fact, I could envision a situation where Comcast takes control of ESPN, with at least a 51 percent stake in the business, in exchange for its one-third stake in Hulu. (It’s the same kind of structure Comcast used to get full control of NBCU from GE back in the day.) I’m sure there might be others who might be interested in a strategic investment in ESPN, perhaps Apple or Amazon. Or any number of the big private-equity firms with dry powder to burn, including Blackstone, KKR, Apollo and others.

But, in my opinion anyway, Comcast has the best currency in the form of its one-third stake in Hulu, and its abiding interest in sports. Comcast owns the Golf Channel, USA Networks, as well as Comcast Spectacor, which owns and operates the Wells Fargo Center arena and complex in Philadelphia as well as a portfolio of professional sports teams that includes the National Hockey League’s Philadelphia Flyers, the Overwatch League’s Philadelphia Fusion, the National Lacrosse League’s Philadelphia Wings, and the Maine Mariners of the East Coast Hockey League. Comcast Spectacor also holds strategic interest in several partner companies spanning the sports and entertainment landscape, including Spectra, Learfield, XFINITY Live! Philadelphia, and N3rd Street Gamers. (I will have more on the whole unfolding ESPN drama on Wednesday.)

Here’s how this might work: In exchange for Comcast’s $10 billion Hulu stake, Comcast gets 51 percent of ESPN. That would value ESPN at around $20 billion. Is that the right value for ESPN? Hard for outsiders to say at the moment since Disney doesn’t break out ESPN’s numbers separately—although that is slated to happen next year. But I am sure any number of investment bankers would be delighted to perform the ESPN valuation exercise with numbers from Disney. And then whatever valuation for ESPN is agreed to, Comcast can top up the purchase with cash, if needed, to get to its 51 percent stake.

Disney would get full control of Hulu and perhaps some cash to pay down debt. Comcast would get 51 percent of ESPN (for now), Disney would keep 29 percent of ESPN, with Hearst holding onto its 20 percent, unless it wants to sell now to Comcast, too. Disney gets the partner for ESPN that Iger alluded to wanting plus can use any cash it gets to pay down a portion of its $38 billion of debt. This seems like the way to go here, although I can’t speak to the tax implications of such an arrangement and whether they would be onerous, or not. (I would welcome readers’ thoughts on this.)

And that leaves Bob with his most important deal still left to do: Finding a successor. He’s not alone in that important task. Jamie Dimon needs to find a successor too, as does Brian Moynihan, at Bank of America. In fact, there is a mini-epidemic afoot in the land of C.E.O.s at big, important companies who don’t want to seem to exit the stage.

He says he’s on the task—as supposedly is the Disney board and its outside headhunter—but there’s very little evidence that much progress has been made, hence Iger’s wholly predictable contract extension.

In the CNBC interview, Iger glossed over the succession dynamic at Disney, opting instead for the usual corporate word salad preferred by C.E.O.s when they are put into an uncomfortable situation. He conceded the “succession process” was not going “to stop.” And then he hinted at the kind of person who would be the one selected to follow him. Someone with “real passion” for the Disney businesses and someone who was an optimist.

Shocking revelations, Bob. “Optimism is a major quality of a great leader,” Iger told Faber. “No one wants to follow a pessimist. We’re optimists about the future of this company. We’ve gotten at the work already. We know what we have to do. There’s light at the end of the tunnel in the most challenged businesses, and there’s an unbelievably bright future for the businesses that are less challenged.”

As my partner Dylan Byers reported, Iger brought Disney Entertainment co-chair Dana Walden with him to Sun Valley, along with film chief Alan Bergman and theme parks head Josh D’Amaro. (Pitaro was left back in Bristol, tending to ESPN.) But he didn’t mention any of them by name in the interview with CNBC. Maybe that was intentional because Iger probably knows, deep down, that he can’t choose a parks guy again to run one of the world’s largest media companies. He probably can’t choose a studio executive either; their experience is too narrow for the breadth of the job. And if ESPN is going to Comcast at some point soon, Pitaro isn’t right either. Maybe Iger needs to redesign Disney to be able to find the right leader for the company going forward?

In any event, all eyes remain on Iger here to make the right decision this time. His entire 50-year legacy at Disney rides on making a smart choice, one that will inspire the troops and Wall Street investors. Yes, he’s bought himself some more time. But he’d better get cracking on it. Maybe Dimon would be interested, if he decides not to throw his hat in the presidential ring?

He'll be gone in 18 months. I'll look forward to the surveillance video of him backing up a ferry to HS and taking off with his boat load of cash. I bet he will be wearing a counterfeit Mickey Ears headband too, as a final finger to Disney fans everywhere.

He'll be gone in 18 months. I'll look forward to the surveillance video of him backing up a ferry to HS and taking off with his boat load of cash. I bet he will be wearing a counterfeit Mickey Ears headband too, as a final finger to Disney fans everywhere.

He’s the best option they have right now. I still think they should have bought Candle Media and got Staggs and Meyer back. But that didn’t happen.

Opinion/commentary. But pertinent, imo.

Iger, Ego & Superego
7/16/2023
William D. Cohan

Good synopsis of all TWDC’s problems, but no new information other than the Comcast speculation.

Something that keeps getting missed is that the linear networks are still profitable. Are they declining? Yeah, but at least they turn a profit unlike Disney+.

Also, as of this weekend, Elemental has become profitable thanks to better than expected worldwide box office revenue. The pressure is off Pixar.

Good synopsis of all TWDC’s problems, but no new information other than the Comcast speculation.
The ESPN/Hulu swap with CMCSA does look a workable deal. It will be interesting to see what kind of price the market says a stand-alone ESPN is valued at.

He’s the best option they have right now. I still think they should have bought Candle Media and got Staggs and Meyer back. But that didn’t happen.
He's the best option because he did a terrible job x2 of bringing someone in and developing them to replace him. Not sure that deserves a raise. Iger did just ok for the company in round one but overstayed his purpose.

He's the best option because he did a terrible job x2 of bringing someone in and developing them to replace him. Not sure that deserves a raise. Iger did just ok for the company in round one but overstayed his purpose.
Again, my opinion only, but Iger earned a big chunk of his first 15 years of CEO pay by salvaging the Disney/Pixar deal. It had gotten to the point where Steve Jobs would no longer deal with Michael Eisner because Jobs didn't trust him.

Think about that. No Cars, Up, Ratatouille, Finding Dory, etc. would have been made if Iger hadn't fixed Eisner's screw-up.

Whether or not other things done or not done by Iger since have undone all that good is the question.

Again, my opinion only, but Iger earned a big chunk of his first 15 years of CEO pay by salvaging the Disney/Pixar deal. It had gotten to the point where Steve Jobs would no longer deal with Michael Eisner because Jobs didn't trust him.

Think about that. No Cars, Up, Ratatouille, Finding Dory, etc. would have been made if Iger hadn't fixed Eisner's screw-up.

Whether or not other things done or not done by Iger since have undone all that good is the question.
Not to mention all the Pixar IP fueling the parks around the world and the rebirth of Disney Animation brought about by John Lassiter and company sonn after the merger.

The ESPN/Hulu swap with CMCSA does look a workable deal. It will be interesting to see what kind of price the market says a stand-alone ESPN is valued at.
That does look interesting. It would also allow ESPN to jump into gambling with Disney as only a minority partner. I am expecting some kind of creativity with the Hulu buy that somehow conserves cash. Hopefully Bob has one more creative deal in him, or make that two - he can also solve the succession issue with a Candle Media buy.

I’d just migrate to the other thread and let this one drop off, there aren’t any mods here regularly and they usually only stop by when conversation gets too spicy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter