Lots of Completed Trip Reports....Nov 2009 - April 2014

In my last installment I mentioned The Great Debate. Should I skip out on my last hour of Disneyland time and rush to catch up to my sister? Because I was sad and lonely? OR Should I stay.

I decided to stay. I had a Big Thunder Mountain FP to use. And who knew when I would be riding my favorite of the mountain rides again.

But first... I decided to "stop and smell the roses" in the form of picture-taking. As that doesn't happen much when you are with a party of 14. I decided to go check out The Halloween Carnival, which we didn't even step foot in when we had the 7 kids with us.

And check out the pumpkins.

At first I thought those were old-fashioned mop heads intertwined with the pumpkins!

And the "Conjure Up A Villain" tent.

And watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

It was 11:15am by this time. I had 1 hour to go. Hotel checkout time was 12:00, but I knew I could stay a few extra minutes since I didn't have to do any checking out preparations and we had gotten permission for the kids to swim until it was almost time for the shuttle to pick us up and take us back to John Wayne/Orange County/SNA.

I really like this spider web in the corner of the stage made of thick sturdy rope.

And the Billies hit the scene.

Mickey and Minnie get in on the fun.

Little did I know...this would be the last time I would get to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies perform at Disneyland. I can't even remember any songs they played. Ghost Rider in the Sky, I would guess.

Goodbye to my favorite:

It was 11:40 by this time.

A few Fall Decor pics:

It feels kind of funny posting these when "Disneyland Dressed For Spring" is more fresh in my mind. :)

The clock has struck noon. Time to use my BTMRR FP.

I love seeing my feet by the row number pics and wish I remembered to take more.

I enjoyed the wildest ride in the wilderness and made my way toward the exit.

Arrrrggghhhh.... New computer but still problems getting pages to load!

The parts about Disneyland not reallllllly looking like that made me laugh out loud! So true! "Mystical-looking cloud formations, tints and hues..." :rotfl:

Oh, I'm glad to hear you got a new computer. Picasa has added more and more effects with each update. They have a feature called "1960s" that rounds the corners and adjusts the colors so they look (to me) like the Disneyland pictures my family has from the 1970s. You have to have the right kind of photo for that feature, though. It doesn't look right with just any old photo. I should try it with one of my current DLR photos that could have been taken back in the day and see how it looks.

All of those pictures are fantastic! I miss seeing your pictures! I miss your old thread. Was the little yellow flower from Critter Country or Frontierland, maybe? And my guess for the other one touch color photo is the mask with gold and purple, and the purple-ish, aqua-ish and red balls. I LOVE the one with the 21 Royal sign! Nice colors with a nostalgic mistiness to it. Was that editing effect called "Nostalgic Mistiness," by chance? :rotfl:

I especially love the black and white gas pumps. I think I got a picture of "a" gas pump, but I wish I would have gotten a picture of the gas pump cluster.

I hopped over and looked at Bret's tile photo. It looks familiar now. Where was that other tile picture taken? With the fruits? While we were riding the trolley I noticed some tile that I wanted to take a picture of and I forgot to go back. I just saw it from afar, but I wonder if that was it.

Speaking of right beneath our feet...I love the horseshoe imprints in the walkways in Frontierland, and the sea shell imprints in the walkways by Ariel.

I haven't posted over there in quite some time. Maybe I will have something from my new batch to share. I have to say it can be intimidating because there ARE so many great professional-looking photos over there, but I know we aren't the only ones that don't care if a DLR photo is of professional quality or not. There must be others that enjoy seeing whatever is posted.

What fun Springtime pictures! Even the ones that aren't technically springtime. I walked into Trolley Treats and bought some fudge. I didn't notice that garland at all! Very cute!

I believe I got a couple of Easter treat photos. Honestly, I haven't even looked at the pictures on my camera yet. I've repeatedly looked at the pictures on my phone since they are more accessible. I didn't see the Springtime-colored cotton candy. Did you post that picture somewhere?

Sounds like I have some catching up to do!

Where was that Donald one taken? Do you think you will ever do another TR thread?

I've been on plenty of rides by myself. Some lend themselves to that more than others. Something like POTC is totally fine to me. You are not interacting with your group for the most part. You are sitting back and enjoying the ride. GRR...now that is a different story. A lot of the fun comes from laughing and interacting with your group. We didn't do Single Rider a few weeks ago for that very reason. We used Single Rider plenty of other times on other rides, which sometimes ended up in an awkward moment when the person I was seated next to clearly wasn't expecting it! Picture climbing into an already-tight seating situation for Goofy's Sky School, and then realizing the guy next to you had his leg stretched out into your foot-room area so you kind of get tangled up and have this awkward untangling moment. I'm laughing now, just reliving the moment! Fortunately he was a very nice guy.

Amen, Sister!

Sadly, it would not have been a good time to get away. Mostly due to the financial side of things. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to pay for my own flight a few weeks ago, instead of my sister using her points to get me a $10 flight...and if I didn't have that frustration-turned-blessing of a $200 Disney Gift Card, this trip wouldn't have worked out for me either, at this time. I appreciate the thought, for sure. It's nice to know I am viewed as "normal and not crazy." ;) The fact that I don't post any "people pictures" could make one wonder if I'm really a 78 year old man just making all this stuff up. :rotfl:

Now, let's wrap up the October 2012 trip...

You could be a 78-year-old man, or a 58-year-old man, or whatever, but whoever you are you seem to be normal and not crazy!:rotfl2:

I had a feeling it wouldn't have been good timing for you to go to Club 39. There were a few people I would have gladly invited to join the rest of us (I put a lot of thought into it) but I just didn't think those people would be able to make it.

By the way, my Club 39 photos were terrible. Really bad, blurry, dark, etc. It was my fault, as I didn't set the camera for low light (which I know to do, but forgot about :rolleyes:). Thankfully the other people in my group got good photos because I barely got any that are even salvageable -- and that is no exaggeration!

I know what you mean about some rides lending themselves more to riding solo while others are better with people. Haunted Mansion is like that as well -- it's okay solo.

I can't wait to hear more about the Goofy's Sky School awkward moment!:rotfl2:

On certain other photo editing sites there are features/borders/effects similar to the Picasa "1960s" feature you explained, but of course they have different names. You're right -- that is one of those special borders or effects that doesn't look right with just any photo. It has to be the right photo that can fit with that vintage look. I think the same can be said for many features/effects/borders/enhancements -- some of them just work perfectly with certain photos and not with others.

Thank you for the kind words on the photos and former TR thread! I miss my old TR thread too, but sadly it is gone forever.:sad: I have planned to start another TR at some point (hence, the teaser title in my signature), but just haven't done it yet. I'm either running low on time, or was having major computer issues and couldn't get anything done. So I have just randomly posted certain photos in other threads (I did not post the Springtime-colored cotton candy anywhere, though).

The 21 Royal photo enhancement was a happy, unexpected result! I had taken that photo back in 2010 and it was rather boring and forgettable. When I was looking for holiday season photos to repurpose for my Mardi Gras post in the Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread, I took a second look at the picture and thought, "I might be able to do something with that." So I played around with a few different effects until I achieved what I felt was the right combo to give the picture a Nostalgic Misty look!:rotfl2: I ended up liking it much better than I thought I would -- and 100 times more than I liked it when I first took the photo!

The Donald Duck photo was taken while on the egg hunt in DCA. It was located near some steps leading up to a ride platform in the Paradise Pier area, not far from TSMM.

The little yellow flower photo is from Cars Land!

You're correct about the other Color Splash/One Touch Color photo. That particular mask was part of the wreath that formerly hung over the entry to the alley in NOS -- the one with the creepy moon-headed dude.

The gas pump cluster is a photo I took in Cars Land back in 2012, I think. At the time I took it I remember thinking, "Hmmm...this would be a good black and white photo." However, back then I don't think I had any idea how to find the B&W feature in my camera (now I know how to find it!)!:rotfl2: So I took the color photo and left it at that. Just recently I was combing through photos, trying to assemble some that I thought might be good for a future photo calendar or book (I always get offers to make free books/calendars every year, but it takes forever to round up the photos I want to use at the last minute and then artfully arrange them in time to claim the free item). I was making edits to a few "potential project photos" and I came across the gas pumps, remembering that I wanted to make it black and white. I went to Photobucket's editing features and found one of their "not just black and white" editing options and used that -- and I was pleased with the result so I saved it.

I cannot remember exactly where that other tile photo -- with the fruit and cups and animals -- is located. I didn't take a photo of it but I definitely remember seeing it as I walked past it. It's got to be somewhere around a corner on BVS or Hollywood Land.

The horseshoe imprints and the seashell designs are some of my favorite details at DLR. The seashells almost look like paint drippings, like someone just happened to spill some paint or ice cream and it landed in the shape of a shell or seahorse!:rotfl2:

I definitely think there is a large intimidation factor involved in the POTD thread that prevents a lot of people with P&S cameras or camera phones from posting their photos. Most of the photos that people comment on in that thread are the DSLR photos, so I can see how other people might be afraid to jump in.

Here is how I feel about photos, and what I enjoy seeing in them:

Quite simply, I like looking at good pictures no matter what kind of device is used to take them. It's not much more complicated than that! I like looking at pretty pictures; interesting pictures; unusual pictures; creative pictures; new and fresh ideas, or unique takes on familiar subjects, etc. I like realistic photos -- photos that are accessible, that look like ideas anyone could execute and capture. I also like the mystical, surreal, dreamlike fantasy photos. I like color. I like B&W. I like photos that capture joy and fun. I like photos that tell some sort of story or evoke some sort of emotion.

And really, aren't those the things what we all like to see in photos?

I appreciate originality -- even if the end result is not what the photographer intended or hoped for, I appreciate that he/she tried to capture something different from the norm instead of just copying what has been done by others. I appreciate the effort to be creative and imaginative -- and I don't mind if someone does something creative with the photos earlier in the process or after the fact.

One of my Springtime/Easter photos (you saw it earlier in one of my links) was of an egg at the Roundup, and the egg appeared to be coming out of the darkness or the shadows. (I posted it in the POTD thread and it was totally ignored!:rotfl2::rotfl2:) When I first took the egg photo at the Roundup, there was a very slight shadow on it due to the sun's positioning, and it struck me as interesting that the shadow made the egg look misshapen, or like it was wider than it actually was. I thought, "I think I can do something fun with that."

So I played with the egg/shadow picture at home to create a different effect -- instead of leaving the slight shadow on it or trying to get rid of the shadow I decided to really enhance the shadow and make it dark enough to cover half of the egg. Then I decided to black out the other stuff in the background (which was visible in the original photo).

This whole process took time, and the end result was that it looked like the egg was coming out of the shadows, or partially hidden in the shadows -- however one wants to see it. Even beyond that, I wanted to convey a certain "planetary effect." You know those satellite photos that NASA or JPL releases every so often, of the edge of Earth shrouded in the darkness of the sky? This egg/shadow photo (which already had blue tones and patterns on it) took on that same kind of look to me -- like the curve of the Earth against the vast, unknown, infinite black sky.

So that egg/shadow/planet photo may have been a clunker at the end of the day, but it was a high concept clunker because I tried to do something different and interesting with it!!:rotfl2:

In my observation, most of today's P&S cameras and camera phones take pretty good pictures. It's not like we are back in 1975, using Kodak Instamatic cameras or whatever, or using the dreaded Kodak Disc cameras of the '80s. Today's cameras can take reasonably good photos, unless the person behind the lens just has no eye for photography whatsoever. These days, most people have some sort of camera phone. When I visited Catalina last July, I would say that almost everyone I saw was using a camera phone (except for yours truly!). And many camera phone photos are quite lovely. Many P&S photos are quite lovely. Whichever kind of camera one has, it is possible to come up with interesting ideas and good pictures and I enjoy seeing them!

About your most recent TR installment --

You mentioned Billy Hill. Another song they did for Halloween Time was "Devil Went Down to Georgia." Then they did a fun seasonal set for the holidays too. I really felt their absence at the Springtime Roundup.

That giant, fuzzy, faux spider is horrible!

I love Mickey and Minnie in their Halloween garb.

No sightings of the Halloween Lady in her jaunty hat and outfit on this trip, eh?

You are so lucky to have made it through the trip with that large a group of people and no disagreements or problems! Many people have annoyances or conflicts that come up with only a few people, so to finesse a trip with a big group is practically a miracle!

I look forward to the next TR installment!!

Thank you for all of your comments Sherry! I will make more comments on your comments later, but first I want to finish up this Trip Report! I will say, though, that I missed not seeing the jaunty Halloween Lady. Little does she know that we are still thinking about her 3 1/2 years later!

Here we are...the final installment of the "Welcome Foolish Mortals - Volume 2" Trip Report, detailing my October 2012 Halloween Time trip. (Volume 1 took place in October 2010.)

I had just gotten off my final ride of the trip, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and was heading toward the exit.

I have a habit of just taking pictures willy-nilly as I walk down Main Street for the last time, just trying to prolong that Disneyland feeling. Here is the batch from this trip:

Looking back longingly, wishing I was walking in the same direction as these guests.

Mickey winked at me as I was leaving. ;)

Wishing I could take another ride on a Main Street vehicle. Did I even ride one this trip? That's something that falls by the wayside with 7 kids along who want to get to the "more exciting" attractions.

The Omnibus came by so I had to get another picture of Main Street Station. And the clock at 12:15. I really like capturing time like this.

And the final look...

I walked back to HoJo in kind of a depressed state. Not knowing when I'll be back is always a hard thing for me. I always feel like it's going to be forever, but fortunately after my 13 year drought that ended in 2009, it's never been "forever." It's always been much sooner than I ever thought. Since that return trip in 2009, the trip that ended my 13 year drought, my 3 boys' first trip...I have been 6 times, including the October 2012 trip. (But not including the April 2014 trip, which was unbeknownst to me at the time...;))

Earlier I said that the shuttle was going to pick us up. Not true. We rented a car this trip since we planned a beach day.

One last look at the palm trees.

We returned our rental car and checked in for our flight. Needless to say, the boys were exhausted after our 8 day vacation.

They all fell asleep right there on the airport floor!

After an uneventful flight, other than the lady at the airport during our layover that commented on what poor examples we were to our children for "cutting in line" to board the plane (we flew Southwest, so we weren't cutting), we were home. We wondered when we would be heading back. We had a semi-plan to return with our group of 14 in 3 years time. We now know that trip will not be happening. Maybe in 3 years time from right now it will happen. But who knows...

I guess that's it! Thank you for reading and stay tuned for a report of my April 7-11, 2014 bonus trip! pixiedust:

A bonus trip in April!! that deserves a double face wash! pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'm madly trying to squeeze in another DL trip....our AP are all valid and Donald may be entering the police academy in late July. Perhaps I'll have to try that nice looking Holiday Inn Deej - would you recommend it? Or the place Bret usually stays in. The GCH is booked solid it seems...

TK

I'm looking forward to your April adventures!:cool1::cool1:

I'll be adding your October 2012 TR to page 1 of the TR section of the brand new Halloween Time at DLR Superthread, though it will probably take a while before I get around to working on that specific post -- you can see where it is on the page!:rotfl2: Make sure to join us there when you can. There will be a mini-Theme Week Countdown starting in the Halloween thread in late July or early August, but without gift card prizes.

I still haven't even gotten to revamping/livening up the Trip Reports/Reviews section of the new Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread (though the Hotels post is rockin') -- other than to put a cute subtitle on it! However, at least I do have your holiday TR referenced in that section! The major Christmas/holiday thread Theme Week Countdown (with gift card giveaways) begins in just under 3 months, I suspect. Probably late July.

By the way -- did you catch any of the new Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas movies last year, in November and December? TK and I talked about our favorites (a couple of them were really cute). The new Hallmark Countdown to Christmas starts this year on November 1st. (And I suspect that Halloween Time at DLR might end on November 2nd this year!)

A bonus trip in April!! that deserves a double face wash! pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'm madly trying to squeeze in another DL trip....our AP are all valid and Donald may be entering the police academy in late July. Perhaps I'll have to try that nice looking Holiday Inn Deej - would you recommend it? Or the place Bret usually stays in. The GCH is booked solid it seems...

TK

We stayed at the HoJo during our Oct. 2012 trip -- I included a picture in my last post. We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn in April. I will have a couple of pics when I start that TR. I really like that place, but it might be a little tight for 4 adults. The main thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a vanity area outside of the bathroom. It's always easier to get everyone up and going if the vanity/sink/mirror is outside the showering area. That's probably the only thing I didn't like, actually. I can't remember where Bret stays. If it's BWPPI, we stayed there for one night and liked it just fine. So close to the parks! Where did you stay when you did that solo trip? I hope it works out to squeeze in one more trip! :goodvibes

I'm looking forward to your April adventures!:cool1::cool1:

I'll be adding your October 2012 TR to page 1 of the TR section of the brand new Halloween Time at DLR Superthread, though it will probably take a while before I get around to working on that specific post -- you can see where it is on the page!:rotfl2: Make sure to join us there when you can. There will be a mini-Theme Week Countdown starting in the Halloween thread in late July or early August, but without gift card prizes.

I still haven't even gotten to revamping/livening up the Trip Reports/Reviews section of the new Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread (though the Hotels post is rockin') -- other than to put a cute subtitle on it! However, at least I do have your holiday TR referenced in that section! The major Christmas/holiday thread Theme Week Countdown (with gift card giveaways) begins in just under 3 months, I suspect. Probably late July.

By the way -- did you catch any of the new Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas movies last year, in November and December? TK and I talked about our favorites (a couple of them were really cute). The new Hallmark Countdown to Christmas starts this year on November 1st. (And I suspect that Halloween Time at DLR might end on November 2nd this year!)

Thanks Sherry! I would definitely love to jump in on the Halloween and Christmas/Holiday Superthreads. I love the theme countdowns!

I did catch a couple of the Hallmark movies, but not as many as I'd like. I got a DVD set for Christmas with 5 Hallmark movies, so that was fun, but of course they weren't the new ones. One of the movies had Laura Ingalls in it and another one had Fonzie in it. How's that for a description?!? :rotfl: I did catch the Candace Cameron Bure (?) one that was new. The title slips my mind, but she was a very down-to-business lady in the beginning. Probably until she and the guy fell down in a tangle in the snow and then looked at each other... I don't know if that really happened, but the odds are in my favor that it did! :rotfl:

I have been distracted by our parents' health this week, thus the slow starting of the latest TR. My FIL is in the early stages of Alzheimers and he seemed to be nearly normal over Easter weekend with his current meds/dosage. Two days ago he was in a car accident. He was driving alone, and the accident was his fault. Two other cars crashed into him. We still haven't heard all the details, but we do know (thankfully) that no one was hurt.

My dad, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer 2 1/2 years ago, was stable for a good 2 years. His health has declined rapidly over the past few months, though. The last time I talked to him on the phone, there were several times that I couldn't understand what he was saying at all. He spends almost all of his time in bed. Ugh. It's hard to watch your parents get old. My dad will be 81 this month. The crazy thing is that his mother passed away just last year! Yes, my 80 yr old dad still had his mother living. She passed away at 99.

Well, I came across a few pictures that my husband took on his phone during our Oct. 2012 trip. I want to post those before I start the next TR.

Random pictures from my husband's phone...Oct. 2012.

One of his favorite meals from the trip, for sure. He was looking forward to the Frankenweenie hot dog and that black lemonade. (I know if he read this right now he would say something like, "You called it a hot dog? Oh, it was NOT just a hot dog..." and then go on to describe it in greater detail. But since I wasn't with him when he ate it, that's all I've got for you.)

A sign that caught his attention in Monsters, Inc.

I can only assume this was a guest dressed for the Halloween Party...

DS12-at-the-time put his hat on his horse.

I've never noticed this before.

My husband was fascinated to see this guy writing out a ticket for that car. There was no one else around, so he felt like the guy was doing it for his benefit alone. Of course the guy didn't look at my husband or do anything to draw attention to himself. Just a business-as-usual thing.

And finally, this fun sign:

I don't want to post anything too lengthy, as I am sensing that it is holding you up from getting your (long-delayed!) TR done when I do, or that you feel you have to reply to everything! So I will be as brief as possible while still covering several bases...

In no order, but just as I remember what to comment on:

1. I totally forgot about the black lemonade of 2012. That was a very weird concept;

2. I've never seen the Riverboat hand signals chart either;

3. "I can only assume this was a guest dressed for the Halloween Party..." - :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (Yes, let's hope so...) ;

4. The "Fonzie" movie may have been The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, which is one of my favorites of the Hallmark lot;

5. The Candace Cameron Bure movie was Let It Snow, which both TK and I decided was our favorite of the new 2013 Hallmark movies, or at least in the top 2 of the ones on which we voted with a :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2;

6. "Laura Ingalls" has done a few Hallmark Christmas movies -- maybe that one was "The Christmas Pageant"?; and

7. Most important of all -- I'm so, so very sorry to hear about your FIL and your father. :hug::grouphug: Yes, it is very tough watching anyone's health decline like that, but when it happens to a parent or family member it is extremely upsetting and jarring.

I just finished reading your latest updates ever since I got back from my trip this past weekend. I did enjoyed reading your Oct 2012 TR and I will be looking forward to hearing from your April TR.

TK

That is nice to hear TK that you are thinking of adding another trip since you have AP's. As for the hotel you have mentioned on my trip report thread, I mostly stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn, Best Western Anaheim Inn or Best Western Stovall's Inn during my trips to the DLR. During my December trip that I have stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites which is on Harbor Blvd right close to BWPPI & BWAI (which my DAW and I will be staying during our June trip). I looked at the Desert Inn & Suites and they do have everything you ask for except the small kitchen. There are a few hotels around the DLR that does have those amenities that you are looking for. The hotels that I have looked up that have those amenities you are looking for are Desert Palms hotel, Homewood Suites, Anaheim Residence Inn Maingate, Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area, Staybridge Suites Anaheim Resort. These are the hotels that I have looked and know that have the amenities that you are looking at TK.

We stayed at the HoJo during our Oct. 2012 trip -- I included a picture in my last post. We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn in April. I will have a couple of pics when I start that TR. I really like that place, but it might be a little tight for 4 adults. The main thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a vanity area outside of the bathroom. It's always easier to get everyone up and going if the vanity/sink/mirror is outside the showering area. That's probably the only thing I didn't like, actually. I can't remember where Bret stays. If it's BWPPI, we stayed there for one night and liked it just fine. So close to the parks! Where did you stay when you did that solo trip? I hope it works out to squeeze in one more trip! :goodvibes

You are correct Deej that I mostly stay at BWPPI, BWAI and BW Stovall's. Lately, I have been staying at the Desert Inn & Suites which is a nice hotel.

Not wanting to totally hijack Deej's thread...I've just confirmed a reservation for a parlor room at the Desert Inn & Suites (thanks for the tip Bret). Hedging my bets as I doubt the vacation club wait will come through for me. Now to see how much airfare will set us back...

It may happen!!!:cool1: Not quite to the dancing banana or pixie face wash stage yet. :rotfl:

TK

I don't want to post anything too lengthy, as I am sensing that it is holding you up from getting your (long-delayed!) TR done when I do, or that you feel you have to reply to everything! So I will be as brief as possible while still covering several bases...

In no order, but just as I remember what to comment on:

1. I totally forgot about the black lemonade of 2012. That was a very weird concept;

2. I've never seen the Riverboat hand signals chart either;

3. "I can only assume this was a guest dressed for the Halloween Party..." - :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (Yes, let's hope so...) ;

4. The "Fonzie" movie may have been The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, which is one of my favorites of the Hallmark lot;

5. The Candace Cameron Bure movie was Let It Snow, which both TK and I decided was our favorite of the new 2013 Hallmark movies, or at least in the top 2 of the ones on which we voted with a :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2;

6. "Laura Ingalls" has done a few Hallmark Christmas movies -- maybe that one was "The Christmas Pageant"?; and

7. Most important of all -- I'm so, so very sorry to hear about your FIL and your father. :hug::grouphug: Yes, it is very tough watching anyone's health decline like that, but when it happens to a parent or family member it is extremely upsetting and jarring.

I love reading your comments, Sherry! Do not hold back. That's how I know someone is reading along. :)

And yes, it was "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" (that might be my favorite) and "The Christmas Pageant." Now I'm in the mood to watch Hallmark Christmas movies!

I talked to my sis (who has our parents staying with her for the next couple of months). She wanted to assess the situation after they'd been with her for a week. According to her, it seems as though my parents' carefree and independent days are over. She can't imagine them living without someone at least checking in on them every day. My other sister has been staying with them this week, with plans to only stay for a few days while CB Jamboree was traveling for work. But she's finding it hard to leave because they seem to need a lot of help. She discovered my dad wasn't taking one of his meds. Both parents are just so forgetful now.

I just finished reading your latest updates ever since I got back from my trip this past weekend. I did enjoyed reading your Oct 2012 TR and I will be looking forward to hearing from your April TR.

That is nice to hear TK that you are thinking of adding another trip since you have AP's. As for the hotel you have mentioned on my trip report thread, I mostly stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn, Best Western Anaheim Inn or Best Western Stovall's Inn during my trips to the DLR. During my December trip that I have stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites which is on Harbor Blvd right close to BWPPI & BWAI (which my DAW and I will be staying during our June trip). I looked at the Desert Inn & Suites and they do have everything you ask for except the small kitchen. There are a few hotels around the DLR that does have those amenities that you are looking for. The hotels that I have looked up that have those amenities you are looking for are Desert Palms hotel, Homewood Suites, Anaheim Residence Inn Maingate, Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area, Staybridge Suites Anaheim Resort. These are the hotels that I have looked and know that have the amenities that you are looking at TK.

You are correct Deej that I mostly stay at BWPPI, BWAI and BW Stovall's. Lately, I have been staying at the Desert Inn & Suites which is a nice hotel.

While my little family stayed at HoJo during our Oct. 2012 trip, the rest of the family stayed at Desert Inn and Suites. They all really liked it. I haven't stayed at Homewood Suites near DL but we have stayed there in other cities and have always loved it. We used to stay at Stovall's back in the 70s/80s when we weren't at Eden Roc.

Not wanting to totally hijack Deej's thread...I've just confirmed a reservation for a parlor room at the Desert Inn & Suites (thanks for the tip Bret). Hedging my bets as I doubt the vacation club wait will come through for me. Now to see how much airfare will set us back...

It may happen!!!:cool1: Not quite to the dancing banana or pixie face wash stage yet. :rotfl:

TK

Here's to hoping it will soon be dancing banana worthy!! :banana::banana::banana: Like I mentioned above, my bro and his family, my sisters and my mom all stayed there in Oct 2012 and they all enjoyed it. So close to the parks! Hope it all works out.

Well, I've got some pictures loaded and ready to go to start the April 7-10, 2014 TR. Just have to change the title...

pixiedust:pixiedust: :banana: We're Booked For July!! :banana:pixiedust:pixiedust:

After a family conference it was decided that we'd use our DVC points to say at the Paradise Pier Hotel. Our deciding factor was the ability to take advantage of early entry and the DCA entrance if we stay at a Disney hotel. There is hardly a day we don't use our early entry benefit.

We'll be there on our 27th anniversary with our sons :grouphug:

I'm also hoping DH and I can go on a couples trip staying at an off-site hotel perhaps the first week in December as those APs will still be valid pixiedust:

I returned from my October 2012 trip to Disneyland with a $200 Disney Gift Card burning a hole in my purse. A gift card that DLR wouldn't accept after my mom scratched off the magnetic strip, thinking she was accessing a PIN. The folks at City Hall were able to confirm the gift card still had $200 on it, but for reasons still unbeknownst to me I was unable to use it for anything other than merchandise. Something I wasn't interested in. I was looking to use it for meals...a necessity. So...after double and triple checking that it would never expire...I moved the gift card to a kitchen drawer for safe-keeping, having no idea when I would get to use it. I still wanted to use it for food...someday. During our next trip. Whenever that would be.

Over a year passed. I can't remember how it came up, but my Sis, SIL, and I started talking about a girls' trip to Disneyland. My Sis offered to get $10 RT flights for me and my SIL using her points. We would split the hotel cost 3 ways. I could use that $200 Disney Gift Card buried in the kitchen drawer to pay for (most of) my ticket... Things came together pretty quickly and final plans were made.

SIL and I would fly out together on Sunday night April 6th and meet my Sis at Candy Cane Inn. We would spend Monday April 7th through Thursday April 10th (til noon-ish) in the parks, taking it slow, moseying about. Thursday afternoon we would go back to our 3 separate lives in 3 separate states.

And so it begins... the "IIIIIIIIIIIIII'll Drink To That!" Trip Report!

Sunday April 6, 2014

My SIL and I were dropped off at the airport by our families late in the afternoon. This was my SIL's very first flight ever, so she was a little nervous. She was worried that our plane would disappear. Her kids (my nieces and nephews that joined us on our last trip) had never been inside an airport before, so they parked the car and walked their mom in as far as they could. Which wasn't very far. :) We all said our goodbyes and our families watched us go through security.

Finally, with my must-have travel snack of a Peanut M&Ms and raw almonds trail mix in hand, we boarded our plane. SIL wanted to make sure she got a window seat. Unfortunately, it was quite a turbulent flight. Surprisingly SIL was fine, but I was so nauseous. Nauseous enough to grab the barf bag from the seat pocket in front of me. Twice. But I still managed to snap a picture.

During our layover, Sis texted us to let us know that there was more turbulence ahead. She had already landed at SNA, feeling nauseous due to the turbulence.

We were up in the air again. I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't run into the turbulence that she had encountered. No barf bag needed this time.

SIL enjoyed her first-ever flights. She was expecting it to be worse than it was. We grabbed our luggage and headed out to the Super Shuttle pick-up area. After a slight wait we were on our way.

View from our seats in the shuttle...excited to get on the road!

During our layover, we made tentative plans to eat dinner at Mimi's, a favorite of mine and my Sis. SIL had never eaten there.

I guess I should backtrack a bit. I made the hotel reservations for Candy Cane Inn. The res was in my name and made with my credit card. Sis arrived in Anaheim about 6 hours before we did. She was able to leave her luggage at the lobby, but not able to check in. Had I left her name with the office staff, they would have allowed her to check in even though she didn't have my card.

When SIL and I arrived at Candy Cane Inn we checked in, dumped our luggage in the room, called Sis (who was at DL) and we all met at Mimi's for dinner. A very doable walk.

SIL and I arrived first, so I took this picture of the Mimi's sign to send to DS14.

He has good memories of eating there with me and Sis. He and Sis were served, had eaten, and fallen asleep at the table before I had been served my soup!

I can't remember what SIL ate, but Sis and I ordered our usual salad and Corn Chowder. So good! Apparently I scarfed it down before taking a picture.

We walked back to Candy Cane Inn. We had to grab Sis' luggage, as well as use her AAA card to apply a $40 discount to our hotel bill.

This is the only pic I snapped of the room itself. It is quite small, but I really like this place and would highly recommend it. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have a vanity area outside of the toilet/shower area.

We were off to bed, as we had a big day ahead of us. We were going to Disneyland! With the Spring Break crowds! And we were expecting a madhouse...

I'm glad you've got another trip coming up soon, TK! Hopefully you will make the first week of December too.

:banana::banana::banana:

I love reading your comments, Sherry! Do not hold back. That's how I know someone is reading along. :)

And yes, it was "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" (that might be my favorite) and "The Christmas Pageant." Now I'm in the mood to watch Hallmark Christmas movies!

I talked to my sis (who has our parents staying with her for the next couple of months). She wanted to assess the situation after they'd been with her for a week. According to her, it seems as though my parents' carefree and independent days are over. She can't imagine them living without someone at least checking in on them every day. My other sister has been staying with them this week, with plans to only stay for a few days while CB Jamboree was traveling for work. But she's finding it hard to leave because they seem to need a lot of help. She discovered my dad wasn't taking one of his meds. Both parents are just so forgetful now.

Well, I've got some pictures loaded and ready to go to start the April 7-10, 2014 TR. Just have to change the title...

I wonder what the new Spring-ish title of your TR will be?! "Back to the Front Porch"? "Hippity Hoppity! Easter's on its Way!" "Spring Fling"?

Will it be possible for your siblings and you to pitch in on getting a caregiver of sorts for your parents (even just someone to pop in here and there), or will your parents move in with one of your sisters? Something like neglecting to take medication can be a serious issue for anyone, but certainly for older adults. That has to be monitored.:grouphug:

I really, really like "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year," for some reason. (It's taking up space on my DVR along with several other gems, some of which were from last year, like "Let It Snow" and Lifetime's "A Snow Globe Christmas").

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is a totally implausible story (as all of these movies are) -- but I suspend disbelief when I watch my lighthearted holiday fare.:rotfl2: Who needs reality during the holidays? I need escapist entertainment.

I mean, the plot is crazy. Let's be honest. A woman's feisty, criminal-nabbin' uncle/former cop meets a drifter/stranger/nomad/potential hatchet-wielding maniac on a plane, welcomes him into her home to mingle with her son, and this mystery man turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to the whole family. He's worldly. He's making pancakes. He knows how to roast a turkey. He's nabbing the guy who tries to steal things from her. He's an expert at decorating for Christmas. He climbs up on the roof and pretends he is Santa so her son will believe. He helps her get a coveted toy so the kid will have it in time for Christmas.

And yet...I still get happy whenever I see "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" in the listing each holiday season! I love it!:rotfl2: Well, let's put it in context -- "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is not the best movie ever made in the history of movies, but within the Hallmark/Lifetime/Up/Ion/ABC Family holiday movies realm (and believe me, I watched some of the holiday moves on allllllll of those channels last November and December!:happytv:), it is quite good!

I returned from my October 2012 trip to Disneyland with a $200 Disney Gift Card burning a hole in my purse. A gift card that DLR wouldn't accept after my mom scratched off the magnetic strip, thinking she was accessing a PIN. The folks at City Hall were able to confirm the gift card still had $200 on it, but for reasons still unbeknownst to me I was unable to use it for anything other than merchandise. Something I wasn't interested in. I was looking to use it for meals...a necessity. So...after double and triple checking that it would never expire...I moved the gift card to a kitchen drawer for safe-keeping, having no idea when I would get to use it. I still wanted to use it for food...someday. During our next trip. Whenever that would be.

Over a year passed. I can't remember how it came up, but my Sis, SIL, and I started talking about a girls' trip to Disneyland. My Sis offered to get $10 RT flights for me and my SIL using her points. We would split the hotel cost 3 ways. I could use that $200 Disney Gift Card buried in the kitchen drawer to pay for (most of) my ticket... Things came together pretty quickly and final plans were made.

SIL and I would fly out together on Sunday night April 6th and meet my Sis at Candy Cane Inn. We would spend Monday April 7th through Thursday April 10th (til noon-ish) in the parks, taking it slow, moseying about. Thursday afternoon we would go back to our 3 separate lives in 3 separate states.

And so it begins... the "IIIIIIIIIIIIII'll Drink To That!" Trip Report!

Sunday April 6, 2014

My SIL and I were dropped off at the airport by our families late in the afternoon. This was my SIL's very first flight ever, so she was a little nervous. She was worried that our plane would disappear. Her kids (my nieces and nephews that joined us on our last trip) had never been inside an airport before, so they parked the car and walked their mom in as far as they could. Which wasn't very far. :) We all said our goodbyes and our families watched us go through security.

Finally, with my must-have travel snack of a Peanut M&Ms and raw almonds trail mix in hand, we boarded our plane. SIL wanted to make sure she got a window seat. Unfortunately, it was quite a turbulent flight. Surprisingly SIL was fine, but I was so nauseous. Nauseous enough to grab the barf bag from the seat pocket in front of me. Twice. But I still managed to snap a picture.

During our layover, Sis texted us to let us know that there was more turbulence ahead. She had already landed at SNA, feeling nauseous due to the turbulence.

We were up in the air again. I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't run into the turbulence that she had encountered. No barf bag needed this time.

SIL enjoyed her first-ever flights. She was expecting it to be worse than it was. We grabbed our luggage and headed out to the Super Shuttle pick-up area. After a slight wait we were on our way.

View from our seats in the shuttle...excited to get on the road!

During our layover, we made tentative plans to eat dinner at Mimi's, a favorite of mine and my Sis. SIL had never eaten there.

I guess I should backtrack a bit. I made the hotel reservations for Candy Cane Inn. The res was in my name and made with my credit card. Sis arrived in Anaheim about 6 hours before we did. She was able to leave her luggage at the lobby, but not able to check in. Had I left her name with the office staff, they would have allowed her to check in even though she didn't have my card.

When SIL and I arrived at Candy Cane Inn we checked in, dumped our luggage in the room, called Sis (who was at DL) and we all met at Mimi's for dinner. A very doable walk.

SIL and I arrived first, so I took this picture of the Mimi's sign to send to DS14.

He has good memories of eating there with me and Sis. He and Sis were served, had eaten, and fallen asleep at the table before I had been served my soup!

I can't remember what SIL ate, but Sis and I ordered our usual salad and Corn Chowder. So good! Apparently I scarfed it down before taking a picture.

We walked back to Candy Cane Inn. We had to grab Sis' luggage, as well as use her AAA card to apply a $40 discount to our hotel bill.

This is the only pic I snapped of the room itself. It is quite small, but I really like this place and would highly recommend it. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have a vanity area outside of the toilet/shower area.

We were off to bed, as we had a big day ahead of us. We were going to Disneyland! With the Spring Break crowds! And we were expecting a madhouse...

Off to a good start (minus the barf)!:sick: The picture from the plane is quite lovely. The turbulence would terrify me, as I hate heights and would automatically assume it meant something terrible was about to happen. I don't know if I would get sick but I'd probably freeze up in fear -- literally.

I have never stayed at CCI, but I like the name of it! Also, if I am not mistaken, I think that Jimmy Kimmel said on The View last year that when he and his family used to go to Disneyland during his childhood, they always stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. Has CCI been around for that long (I am assuming it has been a few years since Jimmy Kimmel was a kid)?

pixiedust:pixiedust: :banana: We're Booked For July!! :banana:pixiedust:pixiedust:

After a family conference it was decided that we'd use our DVC points to say at the Paradise Pier Hotel. Our deciding factor was the ability to take advantage of early entry and the DCA entrance if we stay at a Disney hotel. There is hardly a day we don't use our early entry benefit.

We'll be there on our 27th anniversary with our sons :grouphug:

I'm also hoping DH and I can go on a couples trip staying at an off-site hotel perhaps the first week in December as those APs will still be valid pixiedust:

Woo Hoo! That's great TK. Did your husband retire? That sounds familiar, and I'm thinking that he must have (or will at the end of this school year) if you are able to escape the first week of December.

I'm glad you've got another trip coming up soon, TK! Hopefully you will make the first week of December too.

:banana::banana::banana:

I wonder what the new Spring-ish title of your TR will be?! "Back to the Front Porch"? "Hippity Hoppity! Easter's on its Way!" "Spring Fling"?

Will it be possible for your siblings and you to pitch in on getting a caregiver of sorts for your parents (even just someone to pop in here and there), or will your parents move in with one of your sisters? Something like neglecting to take medication can be a serious issue for anyone, but certainly for older adults. That has to be monitored.:grouphug:

I really, really like "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year," for some reason. (It's taking up space on my DVR along with several other gems, some of which were from last year, like "Let It Snow" and Lifetime's "A Snow Globe Christmas").

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is a totally implausible story (as all of these movies are) -- but I suspend disbelief when I watch my lighthearted holiday fare.:rotfl2: Who needs reality during the holidays? I need escapist entertainment.

I mean, the plot is crazy. Let's be honest. A woman's feisty, criminal-nabbin' uncle/former cop meets a drifter/stranger/nomad/potential hatchet-wielding maniac on a plane, welcomes him into her home to mingle with her son, and this mystery man turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to the whole family. He's worldly. He's making pancakes. He knows how to roast a turkey. He's nabbing the guy who tries to steal things from her. He's an expert at decorating for Christmas. He climbs up on the roof and pretends he is Santa so her son will believe. He helps her get a coveted toy so the kid will have it in time for Christmas.

And yet...I still get happy whenever I see "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" in the listing each holiday season! I love it!:rotfl2: Well, let's put it in context -- "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is not the best movie ever made in the history of movies, but within the Hallmark/Lifetime/Up/Ion/ABC Family holiday movies realm (and believe me, I watched some of the holiday moves on allllllll of those channels last November and December!:happytv:), it is quite good!

Off to a good start (minus the barf)!:sick: The picture from the plane is quite lovely. The turbulence would terrify me, as I hate heights and would automatically assume it meant something terrible was about to happen. I don't know if I would get sick but I'd probably freeze up in fear -- literally.

I have never stayed at CCI, but I like the name of it! Also, if I am not mistaken, I think that Jimmy Kimmel said on The View last year that when he and his family used to go to Disneyland during his childhood, they always stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. Has CCI been around for that long (I am assuming it has been a few years since Jimmy Kimmel was a kid)?

As far as the TR Title goes... I really didn't have anything come to mind. Then I remembered something. So the reason behind the current TR Title will be revealed during the events of the first day, I think.

My parents winter near my sisters. They usually go back "home" around this time of year, but my dad isn't well enough to travel, so that's why my parents are with my sister for a while. We are hoping they can make it back home this summer. (Hoping a most recent cancer treatment will help him feel well enough to travel.) When they get home, they will be just 1 mile from my bro and his family. Thank goodness.

Boy, when you spell out the movie like that, it does seem quite unbelievable. :rotfl:

I guess I wasn't clear in my first post. I grabbed the barf bag twice...but didn't end up actually using it. :sick: Ginger ale does wonders for me in the air. The only time I drink it is when I'm flying.

Turbulence can be scary. We weren't flying out of our seats or anything, but I hate that bumpy out-of-control feeling. My sister was on a flight recently where people were coming out of their seats and screaming. Scary.

I don't know how long CCI has been around. It's very cute. All of the flowers make a difference in the feel, I think.

The plan was to leave the room at 8:15 for Disneyland's 9am opening. I took the first turn in the bathroom, so when I was ready I headed outside to look around. I love that early morning "I'm-going-to-Disneyland-today!" feeling. And I was feeling it. :yay:

This was the view just beyond our plantation shutters:

Look how close we were to the back of Cars Land!

SIL came outside and joined me in some picture taking before we all headed down to the hotel's complimentary breakfast together.

CCI has it's own shuttle to transport guests to and from the parks. The first shuttle of the day would be leaving at 8:30. Guests were already lined up at 8:00.

The breakfast area is located behind the office and spills over to the outdoor pool area. We always ate our breakfast outside.

This reminded me of the iron fencing around Haunted Mansion:

The grounds of CCI are very pretty. Lots and lots of flowers.

I thought this flower looked interesting. It looked like it had those little silver balls that are used to decorated cakes and cookies. (What are they called? I remember my mom used to frost bell-shaped sugar cookies at Christmas time and put one of those little silver balls at the bottom of the bell.)

I love the milk-n-cereal cart in the background of this picture. It kind of looks like the flower is crying. I just noticed that.

We ate our breakfast and then we were on our way. We decided to walk to the parks in the morning and then ride the shuttle back at night. The walk is very easy.

I think I might have squealed a bit when we reached this point in our walk to the parks. :yay:

Getting closer...

I definitely squealed when we reached this point in our walk. :yay:

That happy Disney music gets me going every time.

Our shadows on the sidewalk... :wave2:

You know it...

And we're officially in!

I was under the impression that I would have to get my picture taken when I used my 4 day park hopper the first time. That didn't happen. For some reason they didn't take my picture until the afternoon of Day 3. :confused:

What great pictures Deej! Great fence pic- it's our new quest right?

You may have squealed a bit when you saw the DL entrance, but I'm smiling looking at your TR pics as it brings up happy memories for me too.

Love the waving shadows! So fun to have a sisters trip! I went to WDW once with my sister who is almost a year older than me. We were there to see Donald March in the parade but since his time was planned out ended up having a great girls trip. Even had breakfast with the princesses. Never did THAT with my family!

Laughing at Sherry's synopsis of TMWTOTY! I too have Let It Snow still on my DVR. DH wonders why. What does he know about excellent cinematography? He did last through about 40 min of 'A Ring By Spring' until his testosterone forced him to go watch ESPN.

Yes Deej my hubby retired last June. We are grateful for the timing as my 91yo MIL has had health challenges and this fall/winter was spent between hospitals, rehabs, and now blessedly we have her happily in a senior apartment about a half hour from us.

Looking forward to more of your trip! I can't believe we are planning our own this summer.

deej -

A really nice round o' photos -- my favorites are the shadow picture and the back of Cars Land!

I'm glad to read that no actual barfing occurred!

So your brother is the one who is eventually going to be looking in on your parents regularly? Thankfully he lives in close proximity.

Laughing at Sherry's synopsis of TMWTOTY! I too have Let It Snow still on my DVR. DH wonders why. What does he know about excellent cinematography? He did last through about 40 min of 'A Ring By Spring' until his testosterone forced him to go watch ESPN.

Looking forward to more of your trip! I can't believe we are planning our own this summer.

TK --

Maybe you will be in for a treat and it will end up being a milder July in terms of weather. That hot pavement at DLR just seems to absorb the heat and bounce it back upwards! I mean, July is hot for me, but for the average/normal person it is mild if it stays in the 80s. Sometimes recent July weeks have even been in the upper 70s! Then the "real heat" kicks in around August and September.:mad:

:rotfl2: about the "excellent cinematography" comment! It's so true -- not every movie is going to be a masterpiece, or deep and profound, or thought-provoking, or Emmy/Oscar-worthy, or hilariously funny. But, in the right context, these little gems on Hallmark/Lifetime/Ion/Up/ABC Family (especially the holiday movies) are perfect if we accept them for what they are. They hit the right warm and fuzzy notes and serve up a nice helping of holiday spirit. They are like sweet little pieces of Christmas candy, which we nibble on as we wrap ourselves in cozy Christmas-colored blankets and sip hot chocolate.

I'm glad for you TK that you will be able to go to the DLR in July and be staying at PPH. I will respond to your post on my trip report thread from this morning.

Nice to see that you have started your post from your last month trip report Deej. The Candy Cane Inn room looks very nice. I have heard great things about the Candy Cane Inn from other DISers. The location is okay and the shuttle helps a lot but as you know that it is easier if you are closer to the entrance then relying on the shuttle to pick you up. Mimi's Cafe is a very nice place to eat when you are off-site. That restaurant and Tony Roma's are one of my favorite off-site restaurants.

A lot of nice photos from the Candy Cane Inn until you arrived at the DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter