Il Mulino New York Trattoria Review from 6-12-07 show

Alicnwondrln

DIS Veteran
Thank so you so much the review of this place today. We are heading down to WDW July 2nd and DH wanted to try this place. He is Italian and thought it looked good. We both thought it looked pricey but we are gonna skip it now. I do not feel comfortable going there with my kids and possibly having such a poor experience and spending that kinds money.

Thanks again

Here is a link to the menu on www.allearsnet.com in case any one has any questions.
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_mul.htm

Menu Date: February 2007

ANTIPASTI
APPETIZERS

allearsnet.comallearsnet.comallearsnet.com
Arancini - Italian Rice Balls $8

Prosciutto & Melone - Aged prosciutto with Seasonal Melon $11

Parmigiano Reggiano - Aged parmesan Cheese $8 for two

Insaccati Misti - A Platter of Italian Delights: Prosciutto, Mortadella, Soprassata, Cacciatorini, Parmigiano Reggiano, Roasted Red Peppers, Cherry Vinegar Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Buffalo Mozzarella $24 for two

ANTIPASTI DI MARE
APPETIZERS FROM THE SEA

VONGOLE SU MEZZA CONCHIGLIA - Clams on the Half Shell served Plain with Cocktail Sauce $13

GAMBERI AL MULINO - Jumbo Shrimp with Il Mulino Spicy Cocktail Sauce $13

OSTRICHE SU MEZZA CONCHIGLIA - Oysters on the Half Shell served Plain with Mignonette $14; Fried 16

MISTO DI MARE - a Raw Bar Platter including Shrimp, Clams, Oysters and Langostines Served with a Salad of Calamari, Scallops and Baby Shrimp $36 for two

CALAMARI FRITTI - Lightly Fried Calamari with a Spicy Marinara Sauce $12

COZZE o VONGOLE - Mussels or Clams with Garlic White Wine Sauce or Spicy Fra Diavolo - Mussels $12 / Clams $13

INSALATE
SALADS

INSALATA TRATTORIA - Mixed Salad with Tomatoes, Artichoke hearts, Carrots, Hearts of Palm and Red Onion with Olive Oil and Aged Red Wine Vinegar $10

INSALATA CAESAR - The Classic Il Mulino Caesar Salad $9

CARPACCIO

CARPACCIO DI CARNE - Thinly Sliced Tuscan-Style Beef served with Arugula, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fresh Lemon Juice $14

CARPACCIO DI TONNO - Thinly Shaved, Center-Cut Tuna served with Arugula, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fresh Lemon Juice $14

ZUPPE
SOUPS

MINESTRONE - Vegetable Soup with Orecchiette $7

PASTA FAGIOLI - Traditional Italian Recipe from Abruzzi $7

PIZZA

MARGHERITA - Tomato Sauce, Basil and Buffalo Mozzarella $16

RAPINI CON SALSICCE - Broccoli Rabe and Sausage with Olive Oil and Garlic $16

FUNGHI MISTI - Wild Mushrooms with Fresh Tomato Sauce $16

RISOTTO

RISOTTO CON FUNGHI - Arborio Rice with Wild Mushrooms $26

RISOTTO AI FRUTTI DI MARE - Arborio Rice with Mixed Seafood $32

PASTA

PAPPARDELLE - Pappardelle with Tomato Basil Sauce $21

TORTELLINI ALLA PANNA - Meat Tortellini and Peas in a Cream Sauce $22

SPAGHETTI CARBONARA - Spaghetti with Pancetta, Cheese and Egg $22

GNOCCHI BOLOGNESE - Potato Dumplings with Meat Sauce $24

RIGATONI CON FUNGHI - Rigatoni with Wild Mushrooms, Garlic and truffle Oil $24

LINGUINE ALLE VONGOLE - Linguine with Red or White Clam Sauce $26

PENNE RIGATE - Penne served with our Original Il Mulino Marinara Sauce Topped with Ricotta Cheese $20

CANNELLONI - Baked Pasta stuffed with Meat and Spinach Served with a Light Cream Tomato Sauce $23

BUCATINI AMATRICIANA - Thick Linguine Pasta, Rendered Pancetta and Onions, Finished with Marinara $24

SPAGHETTI AI FRUTTI DI MARE - Baby Shrimp, Clams, Mussels, Scungilli and Calamari in a Spicy Red or Garlic White Wine Sauce $32

PIATTI PER IL TAVOLO
FAMILY STYLE

Family Style items are served for parties of four or more;
Items are priced per person

INSALATA TRATTORIA - Mixed Salad with Tomatoes, Artichokes, Carrots, Hearts of Palm and Red Onion with Olive Oil and Aged Red Wine Vinegar $8

INSALATA CAESAR - The Classic Il Mulino Caesar Salad $7

ARANCINI - Italian Rice Balls $6

CALAMARI FRITTI - Lightly Fried Calamari with a Spicy Marinara Sauce $9

PAPPARDELLE - Pappardelle with Tomato Basil Sauce $11

GNOCCHI BOLOGNESE - Potato Dumplings with Meat Sauce $ 12

RIGATONI CON FUNGHI - Rigatoni with Wild Mushrooms, Garlic and Oil $12

PENNE RIGATE - Penne served with our Original Il Mulino Marinara Sauce Topped with Ricotta Cheese $11

BISTECCHE
STEAKS

BISTECCA RIBEYE - 14-Ounce Grilled Boneless Ribeye Served with Fried Onions $36

MEDAGLIONE DI FILETTO - 10-Ounce Beef Tenderloin Served with Fried Onions $43

BISTECCA ALLA PIZZAIOLA - 14-Ounce Ribeye with Red and Green Peppers In a Pizzaiola Sauce $39

POLLO
CHICKEN

POLLO FRA DIAVOLO - Boneless Chicken with Sausage in a Spicy Red Sauce $24

POLLO PICCATA - European Cut Chicken Breast in a Lemon and White Wine Sauce $28

POLLO PARMIGIANA - Pounded, Breaded Chicken Breast served with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Italian Cheese $28

CARNE
MEATS

VITELLO MILANESE CON ARUGULA - Thinly Pounded Veal, Lightly Breaded and Pan Fried, topped with Arugula, Tomatoes and Red Onion $32

COSTOLETTA DI VITELLO - Single Cut Veal Chop with Sage and Garlic over a Bed of Potatoes $39

VITELLO PARMIGIANA - Pounded, Breaded Veal with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Italian Cheese $31

SALTIMBOCCA - Sauteed Veal Scaloppini with Prosciutto served with Spinach, Sage and White Wine Sauce $33

COSTOLETTE DI MAIALE - Pork Chop with Cherry Vinegar Peppers and Mushrooms $24

PESCE
FISH

DENTICE - Seared Red Snapper with Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic, Pancetta and White Wine served over Broccoli Rabe $29

GAMBERI FRANCESE - Jumbo Shrimp Egg Battered and Sauteed served with White Wine Lemon Sauce $27

SALMONE - Sauteed Salmon in Garlic and Olive Oil with Wild Mushrooms over Broccoli Rabe $27

CONTORNI
SIDES

SPINACI AGLIO E OLIO - Spinach in Garlic and Olive Oil $8

RAPINI CON SALSICCIA - Broccoli Rabe with Sausage $9

ESCAROLE - Sauteed Escarole with Kalamata Olives and Anchovies $8

PATATE AL ROSMARINO - Roasted Rosemary Potatoes $7

PISELLI ALLA ROMANA - Romana Style Peas with Pancetta and Onions $8

PANE AGLIATO - Il Mulino Garlic Bread $7

DOLCI
DESSERTS

GELATO - Italian Ice Cream $6

FRUTTI DI BOSCO CON ZABAGLIONE - Mixed Berries coated with Marsala Zabaglione $6

TORTA DI FORMAGGIO - Italian Style Cheesecake served with Whipped Cream and Zabaglione $8

TORTA DI CIOCCOLATI - Flourless Chocolate Cake served with Whipped Cream and Zabaglione $8

LE TRE SORBETTI - Trio of Flavorful Sorbets $8

TARTUFO - Italian Gelato encased in Chocolate and served with Whipped Cream and Zabaglione $9

TIRAMISU - Layered Espresso and Coffee Liqueur infused Lady Fingers coated with Marscapone Cream $10

Prices exclusive of tax and gratuity; for parties of 6 and more an optional 18% gratuity will be added.
We are happy to discuss with you and attempt to accommodate any dietary or special needs diets.
All food items are cooked to the recommended FDA Food Code temperatures, unless otherwise requested.
Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of food borne illness.

This is the power of a podcast!! Reading a review of the resturant is one thing, but hearing it from the people who were there is 100% more powerful.

Thanks for the podcast, it really makes a HUGE difference!

This was actually so bad it bordered on insane. I'm definitely skipping this one. Why does it seem that the more expensive the restaurant the more attitude they give you?

Thanks for the review, Kevin! I don't know if that was in response to my suggestion or not, but I was happy to see (hear) it. I posted a link on the Restaurant Board, since I know many are interested. :thumbsup2

I was curious myself to see what you would have to say. Ironically your review was almost identical to my experience. It wasn't horrible, but we were disappointed as we expected more for the price.

I love Kevin's reviews.

I worked at a place in Lake George, NY for a summer in college called La Trattoria Siciliana (not sure I spelled that right). Anyway, it was a terrible restaurant, but the chef did the bone thing Kevin described in the review for his chicken piccata, chicken marsala, etc. I can't TELL you how many times I delivered a plate of food to people who shrieked, "LEGS? These are LEGS? This meal shouldn't be made with dark meat!" and I had to explain that it was indeed a breast. Ah, good times!

Let's see if the power of the podcast drives them out of business. Well obviously if it was so dead on a Fri @ 6pm then word must have gotten out.

I've eaten in THAT restaurant in Lake George. You're right...it was awful. :)

The owner was a severe alcoholic, old school Italian, spoke very little english, and he was like 100 years old at the time (this was like 15 years ago) - it was the oddest place ever to work. I was the only waitress to make it through the whole summer - everyone else quit. :lmao: I stayed because there was no sidework at all (mainly because the owner didn't trust us to do anything). He wouldn't even let us get a soda for our customers from the bar. The waitresses would be lined up 10 deep on a busy Saturday night trying to get drinks for our tables from him and he was drunk and would just stare blankly at us. After awhile he would scream "Get out! Everyone GO!" So we would be going back to our tables with no drinks. It was surreal.

Horrid, horrid food.

I, for one, vote that we send Kevin to all the BAD restaurants in Disney - the reviews are much more entertaining that way! We have had the sad little crabcake, the female impersonator and now the teeth-sucking eye rollers. Keep them coming!

The "real" Il Mulino in Greenwich Village is a wonderful, cramped, crowded, garlic-infused place. The wait staff tends towards being businesslike and efficient, kind of like what you'd find at an old steakhouse. It's expensive, reservations tend to be estimates rather than targets, and the food is very, very good.

The restaurant's attempts to become the Ruth's Chris or Smith & Wollensky of the Italian food genre do not seem to be faring terribly well. Kevin, I thought you did a great job with the review. I can just imagine how impowered you feel every time you receive terrible service or are presented with sad little crab cakes, knowing that your experience is going to be shared with listeners and readers around the world.

One thing -- the podcast crew (weighted heavily towards New Jersey and Massachusetts) made a briefly disparaging comment about the "New York attitude" of the wait staff. I have to take issue with this. The stereotypical "New York attitude" actually does not play very well in New York, which is probably the toughest restaurant market in the country. Successful restaurants, in addition to having great food and nice decor, tend to have truly professional wait staffs that "plus" the visit for the patrons. That doesn't mean you'll know the names of your waiter's brothers and sisters by the end of the meal, or that your waitress will be curling up in your booth to help you with your menu selections. That means you will get professional, attentive, courteous service, which sometimes means leaving the diners alone, and sometimes means warning the diners away from their first choice because "the seabass, she is not so good today."

Oh, and Kevin, you said your mom had the chicken picatta. From your description, it sounds as if she was served the Chicken Phil Leotardo. (Footnote: see Sopranos, last episode)

Ok the Soprano's thing is hilarious.

I am a New Yorker.....I live in FL but consider myself from NY, granted I am from upstate but spent a great deal of time in the city.

The "New York attitude" we discuss is never a compliment. I agree.....a restaurant with service of that type shouldnt survive. On the other hand...I remember waiting in a block long line to get in the Carnegie Deli where the waitress asked...."are ya gonna order already or what?". I dont know why I found that more acceptable, but it was. :)

Thank you again for the nice compliments.
Kevin

On the other hand...I remember waiting in a block long line to get in the Carnegie Deli where the waitress asked...."are ya gonna order already or what?". I dont know why I found that more acceptable, but it was. :)

Thank you again for the nice compliments.
Kevin

We did the same thing one cold night, waiting to get in to the Hard Rock, of all places. My spouse was more than a little bit pregnant at the time. When a limo pulled up and disgorged a gaggle of teenaged girls who were immediately shown the door, we looked at each other, said 'the heck with this!,' and took our business to Hamburger Heaven, where we enjoyed good service, a great burger, and lower prices.

Though we did miss seeing Mick's spandex outfit from the Steel Wheels tour . . . :laughing:

Keep up the good work. Your detailed and passionate reviews are a real treat, and it's clear that you really care about how people are treated. When you think about it, reviews in a place like Orlando are so important. So many people scrimp and save and travel thousands of miles for a week or so of precious vacation time. Why spend that time and money getting bad service or food or attitude? Why not spend it somewhere where they'll feel special -- your recent review of the Askerhous (I just Bawbed that one, I know) princess meal was wonderfully descriptive, and left me wanting to go. And my "little' girls are teenagers!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

I, for one, vote that we send Kevin to all the BAD restaurants in Disney - the reviews are much more entertaining that way! We have had the sad little crabcake, the female impersonator and now the teeth-sucking eye rollers. Keep them coming!

Funny posty and I have to agree!!! I thought nothing could trump Keven's O'Hana's review, what with the "pond scum," "cooked to the point of distraction," and "people must eat here out of desperation,"...remarks, but Il Mulino was just...GREAT ENTERTAINMENT!

"We wants the BAD reviews! We wants the bad reviews!" Pray God, the ABC Commisary breakfast is next!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter