I'll admit it, I didn't like AK in Jan 02 ....should I give it another try ..and why?

Went once with just adults (DH got soo mad because he got soaked on the rapid ride, and I'm like, well DUH)!!

Went again to Disney with the kids and passed on AK.

This time we're going to try it on Sunday (We arrive on Sat), and here is why...

1. This will be a 'primer' before the big MK (kids are 3 and 5) and after the MK everything else is small potatoes in their eyes.
2. You can still get a character meal (donalds breakfastaurus), can't do at MGM anymore.
3. Park is beautiful, low key, and a nice lead in for vacation.

I never saw the Lion king so will try to do it this time, to those who saw it, is it frightening for small children?

My DH will have to deal with soggy shorts!

I say try it again...

We thought AK was great - KS was one of the rides my DW and DS liked the most in all of WDW. Kali Rapids was fun even though we got soaked - DW wore a garbage bag, DS had a bathing suit on and I had quick dry nylon clothes on and kept my feet off the floor.....PW and Dinosaur were fabulous and this may sound cheesy but I liked this area of the park - found it very whimsical.

The walkways are great and the themes of Africa and Asia were a nice change along with the entertainment. And of course cannot forget Devine and Wes Palm :bounce: :Pinkbounc

thanks
Jason

If you didn't like it in 2002 I don't think a whole lot has changed since then to make you change your mind. It's a casual park and if you're expecting a transformation into the traditional Disney park with dozens of rides you will still be let down.

The knock that Animal Kingdom is a half-day park stems from that mindset. I don't think anyone considers AK a one-day park. It's either a half-day trek or it's a park that folks will explore for 2-3 days a shot.

Is it safe to say that AK is a lot like opera -- you either love it or you hate it.

I don't think I could handle a full day at the park, but mostly because of the heat. I love the cozy aspects of the park. Today we headed out to the park at 4:30pm. So late? The park closed at 7pm tonight so I figured, why not? Like salmons fighting the crowd of tired, sweaty outgoing folk, we had an amazing 2 1/2 hours. Saw Dinosaur had a 50 minute wait and everything else was listed as 25 minutes or less. So we head out to the Safari. 10 minutes. The animals weren't as hidden as they had been on past late afternoon safaris. Skipped Kali (though it was a walk-on) and tackled the three rides in Dinoland with no more than 10 minutes wait on each -- yes, including Dinosaur).

With time I would have loved to check out the Lion King show again (I'm in the camp that thinks that this is the best show in any of the parks). I would have walked the two animal "treks" and I would have taken the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch (which is one of the few areas that have been improved upon since the park opening).

So should you give it another shot? Sure. But either get there for the 9am opening or save it for an early afternoon trip and stay until the close.

On our trip (which was just 2 adults) I think AK might have been our favorite. Then again, we are into nature and animals (DH has been getting National Geographic since the dawn of time and I am a Biology teacher)

I agree wholeheartedly that it is not a "run to every attraction" kind of place. If you use that strategy, you will be disappointed.

I say go again, and visit this park on a more leasirely day. Do it in the middle of your stay, when you are ready for a more relaxing day.

I really had a hard time liking the park the first time DW and I visited which was in 98 when the park first opened. We didnt see hardly any animals on the safari and just felt there wasnt enough in the park to justify an entire day there.

This year we visited again and gave it more of a chance. I enjoyed it more and we actually saw animals on the safari. The bird show is still one of my favorite shows in all four parks and the Lion King show is now my absolute favorite show of all the parks(missed the show the first time around).

That being said, Animal Kingdom in my eyes has a lot to live up to. 60 miles away is another park/zoo that blows Animal Kingdom away. That is Busch Gardens Tampa. Busch Gardens has more to see and do, their animals are more accessable, there are several opportunities to touch some of the animals and interact with them. There are more attractions to ride and the food is way better than AK. That and you get free beer!!!

Busch Gardens has been around for over 30 years in the Tampa area and has had time to grow and mature and really get things right. I think Animal Kingdom needs more time to do this. I am really excited about this new addition that was just announced to the park and I think it will really help the park. Being the newest park, however, of the four, it still has some growing pains to go through yet until it is a top notch park and when it can actually compete with Busch Gardens.

Oh, one more thing about the Lion King show. Be there early. It is profoundly popular. Heed my warning, get in line early or it will be standing room only. Go see this show!!!!!!!

I really wish everyone could take the behind the scenes tour they offer. We did and it is wonderful. It really give you another outlook on the park. To beable to see how, what, and why they do things they do and the stuff they do with the animals that you never see is great. I know the other two animal parks are great and I am sure they also do wonderful things with animals, but as was said it has been around for for a number of years. Actually, we have taken both tours of the park, the one behind the scenes and the one that is in front and they are both worth the money they charge.

We've regretted both times we went, however we will be there for 10 days in August and I will probably drag my reluctant kids once again.

I think if you go with an open mind, and look for some of the things that people have talked about in this thread (I love the Lion King and Dinosaur), than you might have a good time. There are some amazing things there (especially the animals), but it is so different from the other parks that it's just not right for some guests.

If you go with the idea that it should somehow prove to you that it is fun, you will probably be let down.

My advice would be to go first thing in the morning, before it's really hot and crowded, with an open mind. But have a Plan B. If you find that you don't really like it, aren't having fun and would rather be somewhere else, than you have something to do. And you can say that you tried.

We're not impressed either...

We walked in and walked right back out our first trip to WDW in 1998, but it was raining and our 2 year old DD fell asleep the second we walked into the park, so we took our picture in front of the tree and left.

Then on our next trip to WDW in 2000, we tried it again and only did the safari (no animals in sight) and the Lion King show (good show) and Conservation Station (boring!) and Dinosaur (headache!) and thought AK was just ok. My DH was not impressed.

We skipped it in 2001.

Then we tried again this past October. This time we spent most of the day there and explored a bit more. We did the Lion King show, the safari, the Tarzan show (it was ok), did everything at Dinoland but weren't really impressed with it...not very Disney IMHO.

Everyone's too afraid to see the "It's tough to be a Bug" movie thus far; we missed the Pocahontas show again; we missed the parade, and my kids don't like getting wet so we haven't done the Kali rapids ride yet.

To sum it up, there are a few ok things to do but we're still not crazy about it and can skip it and not be missing much.

We will go this year because we are going with my BIL and his family who have never been to WDW and maybe they'll like and maybe we can do the attactions we haven't done yet...

We love AK, but like others we really love animals. Maybe that makes a difference.

Don't miss: Safari in morning, Flights of Wonder, Lion King Show, eat at the Chakranadi Chicken Stop.

I think what helped us to appreciate it was we have friends who have lived in both Asia (India) and Africa (Kenya) and they said it gave them goose bumps just to walk through AK because it was so much like walking through the villages of Africa and Asia.

Give it another try, ride the rapids at the end of the day, and enjoy it for what it is.

soccer mom

Everytime I go to AK I have dizzy spells and find it MUCH hotter than other parks anyone else have this problem?

We definitely noticed that this park is about 10 degrees warmer than the other parks. I think it has to do with the dense foliage trapping the heat in and the fact that most attractions are outdoors so there aren't many places to escape the heat.

We like zoos too and enjoy going to Animal Kingdom maybe because of that. We like to get there when it opens and ride the Safari and Dinosaur. DS plays in the Boneyard for a while and we always walk the Maharajah Jungle Trek. We finally see It's a Bug's Life and if the crowds aren't too ridiculous, the Festival of the Lion King. We stayed late enough (usually we're long gone) to see the parade this year and we enjoyed it. I recommend watching it from Harambe.

I've been to AK several times but really don't care for it. if it were not for getting in with our AP's I wouldnt even go but DD likes the primevil whirl ride (I have to drag myself on that one) but countdown is pretty fun. I am a animal lover and all zoos bother me. I feel (and this is just my personal opinion) that the animals should be free and living in their native areas. I don't believe they should be on display for peoples enjoyment. I just feel so sorry for them and this feeling sort of affects my AK experience. I know the animals are treated very well at AK but I still feel for them. also the place is so bloody hot I feel I am being steamed alive in my own juices! If I am that hot in my tank tops and shorts, I wonder how those poor animals feel in those fur coats. just my thoughts... Linda going in 16 days staying at CR YIPPEE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter