I'll be the first....

:wave:

Our husbands died a couple of months apart. I started travel early in each of my children's lives too. We really enjoy going places. I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip to Haiti. I'm hoping to do a mission trip there some time in the future. I know a pastor who opened an orphanage there.

Thank you! this is our third trip to Haiti, it is where our heart is as my Jim died in the earthquake. long story short, we became friends with another family who lost their daughter (also staying at the Hotel Montana) and they started an orphanage in her memory. Its a beautiful home and fills us with peace and healing. Hope you will be able to travel there, Haiti is beautiful as are the people! If you don';t mind me asking where is the orphanage of your pastor friend? ours is in Grand Goave.

Thank you! this is our third trip to Haiti, it is where our heart is as my Jim died in the earthquake. long story short, we became friends with another family who lost their daughter (also staying at the Hotel Montana) and they started an orphanage in her memory. Its a beautiful home and fills us with peace and healing. Hope you will be able to travel there, Haiti is beautiful as are the people! If you don';t mind me asking where is the orphanage of your pastor friend? ours is in Grand Goave.

It's in Port-au-Prince. It's called Love Haiti's Children. It was also started because of the earthquake.

So happy to see this forum on the DIS! I've been a member since long before I had my DS, Jacob who will be 6 in 3 weeks :)

Long story short, his dad bailed on me pretty much the day I found out I was pregnant and wasn't a part of his life for the first almost 4 years. He does see him now but only every other weekend and some holidays. He pretty much does the bare minimum though and isn't super active in his life. But we do just fine anyway! I am also blessed to have 2 WONDERFUL parents who love their grandson to pieces and would do anything for him. Between them and lots of other family/friends, he has no lack of love in his life :goodvibes

We are also huge Disney fans! Our trip in Dec 2016 will be my son's 3rd trip and my....who knows? I've been so many times since I was a kid that it's hard to keep track :rotfl:Also did the Disney College Program in 2005 which was definitely a great experience! I'm excited to hopefully get to know some other single parents on here who love to talk Disney too!

My hat is off to you...I wouldn't trade it for anything but I don't think I ever would have chose this life. I didn't even want to have kids. I had a whoopsie but even then never anticipated having to do it completely alone. God certainly knew what he was doing though because turns out little man is the best thing to ever happen to me. Can't imagine life without him!

I feel this way too.

I have really enjoyed reading all of your stories. I've been divorced for 20 years and have 3 kids from marriage -- DS 35; DD 27; DD 25. All of them have families of their own. Actually, both daughters are currently pregnant (due in September and November) with my 5th and 6th grandbabies. I also have a DS 15. His father and I were never married and he was KIA in April 2003 in Iraq. Even though our son was 3 at the time of his death, they'd never met. Long story. My 3 oldest and I would go to Disneyland when we lived in Los Angeles for a year. Their dad didn't like going (never even tried it -- just refused to go), so we always went alone. After youngest son's father died, we started going to WDW. Didn't really plan it to become a regular thing. I just wanted to do a wonderful vacation for me and my 3 youngest kids (oldest son was already married). That trip was in June, 2004 and we were addicted!! Decided we wanted to go during cooler weather the next time and chose Thanksgiving week so kids didn't have to miss much school. From then, on, we knew this is when we always wanted to go. Each time we go, I add a little to the trip...upping the ante. This year, we finally hit the level of doing a Cruise!! First ever and we are sooo excited. As my girls got older they have no longer gone with us. Oldest daughter's final year was 2007; youngest's was 2009. My son and I have done a LOT of travelling (not just for Disney trips) in past 12 years and we are always amazed at how much better it is to be at Disney than anywhere else we go! Hoping to learn more about traveling with a teenaged boy on a cruise with his mommy. :)

So happy to "meet" all of you. I am a single mom to a 4 almost 5 year old boy who is absolutely my favorite person in the world. We both love traveling and have recently become Disney enthusiasts. We were just at the World in April and will be back for Christmas this year. Can't wait to trade tips and strategies for singlehandedly creating magic for our little loves!

It's in Port-au-Prince. It's called Love Haiti's Children. It was also started because of the earthquake.

Hope its a place of peace, safety and comfort for those children. Haiti needs every bit of help for these precious children!

I have really enjoyed reading all of your stories. I've been divorced for 20 years and have 3 kids from marriage -- DS 35; DD 27; DD 25. All of them have families of their own. Actually, both daughters are currently pregnant (due in September and November) with my 5th and 6th grandbabies. I also have a DS 15. His father and I were never married and he was KIA in April 2003 in Iraq. Even though our son was 3 at the time of his death, they'd never met. Long story. My 3 oldest and I would go to Disneyland when we lived in Los Angeles for a year. Their dad didn't like going (never even tried it -- just refused to go), so we always went alone. After youngest son's father died, we started going to WDW. Didn't really plan it to become a regular thing. I just wanted to do a wonderful vacation for me and my 3 youngest kids (oldest son was already married). That trip was in June, 2004 and we were addicted!! Decided we wanted to go during cooler weather the next time and chose Thanksgiving week so kids didn't have to miss much school. From then, on, we knew this is when we always wanted to go. Each time we go, I add a little to the trip...upping the ante. This year, we finally hit the level of doing a Cruise!! First ever and we are sooo excited. As my girls got older they have no longer gone with us. Oldest daughter's final year was 2007; youngest's was 2009. My son and I have done a LOT of travelling (not just for Disney trips) in past 12 years and we are always amazed at how much better it is to be at Disney than anywhere else we go! Hoping to learn more about traveling with a teenaged boy on a cruise with his mommy. :)

I know you and son will have a great time on the cruise. Which cruise are you taking. My DS and I have been on 5 and taking number 6 in just a few weeks. I think it is the best time with the kids. I want to make sure you know there is a meet group for each cruise. You will be able to get to know others on the cruise and find kids your sons age. Disney does a great job on finding people to sit with during dinner. Every time for us the kids were all the age and the moms were all single. I know you will have a great time.

I know you and son will have a great time on the cruise. Which cruise are you taking. My DS and I have been on 5 and taking number 6 in just a few weeks. I think it is the best time with the kids. I want to make sure you know there is a meet group for each cruise. You will be able to get to know others on the cruise and find kids your sons age. Disney does a great job on finding people to sit with during dinner. Every time for us the kids were all the age and the moms were all single. I know you will have a great time.

We will be on Fantasy for 7 night Western Caribbean cruise. Glad to hear there will be others seated with us in similar age and relationship status. So far, my Cruise Meet Thread hasn't been very active. Those who are on it are traditional and extended families...no single mom's with teen son. Thanks for your input!

I totally agree... single parents need to budget for and schedule time for themselves to have some time alone. Disney trips make that so easy. I look forward to the Alone Time massage every cruise we take. :)
I so want to cruise, just have to talk DD8 into it! She is a little shy so not sure how the kids clubs would go!

Rapunzelmom, I have 2 DDs from Guatemala, ages 10 and 12. We are Disney lovers too. Wonder if we know each other from other social media sites?

Wow, great to "meet you"! I am not on any Guatemala site, guess I should look! Wouldn't that be great if we ended up at Disney the same time some year? OR a cruise!! :flower1:

I love this thread! I have been a single mom for 14 years, my daughter is now 17 and almost ready to head off to college (her dream is to be accepted into the Disney College Program). We have been taking mother daughter Disney Vacations at least once a year from the time DD was three. Since I have been single I worked my way through school, this allowed me a salary that made DVC purchase feasible. Now our Disney Vacations are a time when we can escape our everyday stressors and reconnect, now we are anxiously awaiting our next trip in a month.
BTW I would highly recommend Aulani, we thought we would be bored, but it was probably one of the best vacations we have ever had, so chill and relaxing. We also enjoy the cruises, they put so much effort into making you comfortable, on our cruise the table planner sat all of the single mothers together, let me tell you, we had far more fun than the couples.

Very glad to see this added to the forums, though not sure how I fit in here. I am a single mom in some sense (divorced and financially almost entirely on my own), but my ex does take our daughter, age 10, about 3 nights per week and is a huge help with the parenting and logistics. Don't freak out - we have all done Disney together 5 times AFTER our separation and eventually divorce *gasp! I give anyone credit for doing it on their own and would do so myself, if that was the way it would be. Disney is the perfect place to be a family, however you may define that :lovestruc

If anyone wants to know how it can possibly work to do Disney while divorced, I am here LOL

Hi. I am a single mom, by choice (adoption 4 years ago) to a DS (9) and a DD (7). We live in the Atlanta area and are annual passholders. We love Disney and do 4-5 shortish trips down a year! We also booked our first cruise for Thanksgiving week on the Dream with my parents and brother as well. Excited to see a single parents forum.

I have not been on the Thanksgiving cruise. I have been over Christmas and it is great. I can not remember when they will put all the Christmas décor all over the ship. I know you will have fun.

Booked our trip to DL a couple days ago for October 1-4! going to Halloween party on the 2nd! can't wait to see all the 60th decorations. Will be a bitter sweet trip though it falls on my DH's birthday and our wedding anniversary, we will be celebrating both of these special days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!