I'll be the first....

I have been a single mom since my DS was 1 when the divorce was over. I would not change a thing and we keep enjoying our time together. I keep looking back at the early years of vacation and think how did we make it.
Looks like we will be taking vacation at the same time :)

Yes! Hopefully we'll both have a magical time! I'm traveling this time with a huge group of 12; that should present a few additional problems, but nothing that being in WDW can't fix!

Hi all
I will be the first post! I am a single mom to a wonderful DD8. She came home to me from Guatemala. Pre motherhood I have been a Disney addict and have about 20 visits many as a solo logged. As a single parent, I love Disney vacation as there is ALWAYS something to do and built in kids to do them with!

What are you tips for single parent travel? I budget for a great "adult beverage" every day and time to relax and enjoy it!

I totally agree... single parents need to budget for and schedule time for themselves to have some time alone. Disney trips make that so easy. I look forward to the Alone Time massage every cruise we take. :)

I feel you....I was a single mom to a 7 month old...lots of people assumed that was a one night stand, but no we were married before baby. I don't envy you...those days were very hard in the beginning but it will get better with time. I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise and I also wish you many more vacations! I would take advantage of your son still being a lap baby if I were you ;)

I am looking forward to the "better days". Thank you. I am definitely stronger and so is our mother/son bond. Yes, I took advantage of DS being a lap child for our flight to Orlando. He'll be 2 for our Alaska cruise next year, so I'll have to purchase a ticket for him.

I completely agree!! I must say that the pros of being a single parent totally outweigh the cons.. Jase was about 9 months old when we started traveling. It's plain and simple... If he cant go then I don't go! He sure loves his mom but not as much as I love him! I can't imagine having life any other way! Soak in every moment! I promise you they go by fast! I almost have a 3 year old and long for the 2 am feedings when he was a newborn. Keep up the good work mom!!! :) (JUST FYI we have matching PJs for the cruise too :) )

I know...my munchkin has grown up so fast!!! And I agree...if my munchkin can't go, I don't go! Lol

Yay, for the matching PJs! I bet they're adorable! I've been looking for some matching Mickey PJs for us to wear on our Alaska cruise next year. I found a girl on etsy who's making our Christmas PJs. If I like those, I'm going to have her make our cruise PJs.

I have been a single mom since my DS was 1 when the divorce was over. I would not change a thing and we keep enjoying our time together. I keep looking back at the early years of vacation and think how did we make it.

This makes me smile and gives me tremendous encouragement! Thank you.

I agree! I always wonder how I'm going to make it work but it always happens! Alot of people tell me that he will not remember these vacations so young but I don't pay them attention. He enjoys them in the moment and we have pictures he can look at down the road! I just think they are jealous that I'm making it work and put my child first!

It's as if I wrote this myself! DS had a great time on his birthday cruise. He lit up EVERY TIME he spotted Mickey Mouse onboard. When I show him pictures from the cruise, he smiles so big!!! Babies don't remember elaborate 1 year birthday parties, but parents still have them.

It's as if I wrote this myself! DS had a great time on his birthday cruise. He lit up EVERY TIME he spotted Mickey Mouse onboard. When I show him pictures from the cruise, he smiles so big!!! Babies don't remember elaborate 1 year birthday parties, but parents still have them.
EXACTLY!!!! I planned his 1st birthday for 7 months ;) Was a little more relaxed for his 2nd and for his 3rd we will be with Mickey! You would think parents with children would understand! Did he ever spend time in the nursery?

EXACTLY!!!! I planned his 1st birthday for 7 months ;) Was a little more relaxed for his 2nd and for his 3rd we will be with Mickey! You would think parents with children would understand! Did he ever spend time in the nursery?

I had nursery time scheduled prior to the start of the cruise, but cancelled it while onboard.

The 2nd day (Nassau Day) was DS's bday, so we spent the entire day together. The 3rd day was Castaway Cay Day, after spending the day on the beach, he napped in the room until dinner. The 4th day was a Day at Sea. I had nursery time scheduled for two hours that day. I was going to enjoy the spa (rainforest) during that time, but decided to cancel the nursery time and spend every minute of the last day of our peaceful cruise with DS, before heading back to the drama.

I am a single mother of a just turned 8 baby girl, and now custody of my nephew(since he was 2 days old now 7 months). Me and Cali have gone 5 times ( and 2 cruises) and our 6th trip is December. I am blessed to have no custody or visitation with her father, but now get to deal with it for my nephew. And as a single mom I have an amazing job that is 8-4 and pays well enough to fund my Disney fixes. I always try to go in November to February to escape our Canadian winters! I did go once in September but it was WAY to hot/humid caused a few melt downs with my daughter

Excited to see this board! I'm a single mom to a soon to be 4yr old! We have a trip planned this year with Grandma, as I'm still nervous about traveling far with just us 2. :) Maybe next year.

Hello to all. I'm a single mom to a soon to be 13-yr-old son. Disneyland and Disney World are our go to vacation spots, we try to visit one every year. Cruising as a single parent is great, on the Disney Cruises we have been set with other single parent families too.

Looking forward to seeing how this forum develops.

Alicia

Hi all! I'm a single mom to a 7 year old daughter. We've taken two trips to Disney one when she was 4 and one when she was 6 and are taking a short 3 day trip this fall. I love our trips to Disney because since I work full time and also have night/weekend work stuff from time to time Disney is our special time together without a lot of other distractions! Having gone twice with just the two of us I can't imagine having to navigate it with more people, we go at our own pace and it works for us! I am really glad this forum was started!

Hello,

My children and I have been on our own since my husband died in 2010. We started our Disney adventures about 8 months later at Thanksgiving when my daughter had the whole week off school. My daughter was 7 and my son was 10 months. They are now 12 and 5. I have always enjoyed traveling so I introduced travel early in my daughter's life. We were on our own shortly after ds was born. Once things settled down some and I made a slight recovery financially, it was summer and we took a trip to the beach. We have been to Disney now 4 times and we travel other places as well. It's tough sometimes; but we have become a nice unit I think. I joke sometimes that us traveling is to reward them for putting up with me.

We're booked on a trip in October; but I'm thinking of cancelling and going another time when we can stay longer. I've been wanting to go on a cruise since ds mastered toilet training; but we haven't made it yet.

Hello,

My children and I have been on our own since my husband died in 2010. We started our Disney adventures about 8 months later at Thanksgiving when my daughter had the whole week off school. My daughter was 7 and my son was 10 months. They are now 12 and 5. I have always enjoyed traveling so I introduced travel early in my daughter's life. We were on our own shortly after ds was born. Once things settled down some and I made a slight recovery financially, it was summer and we took a trip to the beach. We have been to Disney now 4 times and we travel other places as well. It's tough sometimes; but we have become a nice unit I think. I joke sometimes that us traveling is to reward them for putting up with me.

We're booked on a trip in October; but I'm thinking of cancelling and going another time when we can stay longer. I've been wanting to go on a cruise since ds mastered toilet training; but we haven't made it yet.

Cruising is addicting. I think you and your kids would love cruising. :)

Love hearing all about you! As a single parent by choice I totally understand all of you who did not plan this route. I thought long and hard about it and even though it really was a no brainer, I still got to make the choice AND get my life and work set up pre adoption! Bottom line it was my choice AND I have no drama with an ex or in-laws!
I have traveled alone with DD since that first plane ride home from Guatemala and then yearly to family. She is an expert flyer at this point. Last summer we took Amtrak from Chicago to New York, 24 hours on the train, and it was awesome! Such an adventure and so cheap, $300 bucks round trip FOR BOTH OF US~
We are doing a Disney Christmas from 12/20-12/26, can't wait. I think we will be doing a road trip out west for the next big trip summer of 2016 or 2017 and then maybe a cruise. Unfortunately DD watch a documentary during shark week and is now terrified of being in the middle of the ocean! UGH

Love hearing about everyone and your families. Some were unexpected and you choose this life. No matter how we all get here we now have an unexpected support system with other parents who understand our love of Disney.

Love hearing all about you! As a single parent by choice I totally understand all of you who did not plan this route. I thought long and hard about it and even though it really was a no brainer, I still got to make the choice AND get my life and work set up pre adoption! Bottom line it was my choice AND I have no drama with an ex or in-laws!
I have traveled alone with DD since that first plane ride home from Guatemala and then yearly to family. She is an expert flyer at this point. Last summer we took Amtrak from Chicago to New York, 24 hours on the train, and it was awesome! Such an adventure and so cheap, $300 bucks round trip FOR BOTH OF US~
We are doing a Disney Christmas from 12/20-12/26, can't wait. I think we will be doing a road trip out west for the next big trip summer of 2016 or 2017 and then maybe a cruise. Unfortunately DD watch a documentary during shark week and is now terrified of being in the middle of the ocean! UGH

Lucky you...no drama with the ex. I WISH! Ugh

Love hearing about everyone and your families. Some were unexpected and you choose this life. No matter how we all get here we now have an unexpected support system with other parents who understand our love of Disney.

I agree 100%!!! I'm very grateful for this board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!