I'll be the first....

Hi, I'm single mom (by choice) to a wonderful little boy (5... and a half, can't forget the half!) We went to Disney for two nights then a (non-Disney) cruise in February for my birthday. I am hoping to take us again this year to Disney for a week, but may have to wait a year, we'll see. I loved travelling just the two of us, I took advantage of the kids club which he loved, and I got to sit in the adult area and just read. We only went to Animal Kingdom at Disney but it was great and I can't wait to go back and do all the parks! We loved staying at AoA and walking over to POP to check it out. We had a lot of fun, and he talks constantly about wanting to go on more cruises, and travel. I look forward to many more trips and adventures. And getting the great tips from you all that have done this so many times!

Hi, I'm single mom (by choice) to a wonderful little boy (5... and a half, can't forget the half!) We went to Disney for two nights then a (non-Disney) cruise in February for my birthday. I am hoping to take us again this year to Disney for a week, but may have to wait a year, we'll see. I loved travelling just the two of us, I took advantage of the kids club which he loved, and I got to sit in the adult area and just read. We only went to Animal Kingdom at Disney but it was great and I can't wait to go back and do all the parks! We loved staying at AoA and walking over to POP to check it out. We had a lot of fun, and he talks constantly about wanting to go on more cruises, and travel. I look forward to many more trips and adventures. And getting the great tips from you all that have done this so many times!

Welcome! I'm so excited to see this board grow! I had no idea there were this many single parents here. I often felt as if I were one of the few. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I'm hoping to take DS to Animal Kingdom next year. He'll be 2 years old then. I want to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I haven't even priced it, to see how expensive it is to stay in a room with a view of the Savannah.

What's AoA? I'm still learning the resort acronyms. :)

I'm thinking AOA is Art of Animation. I have never stayed there. My home resort is Animal Kingdom and it is great My DS loves getting up in the morning and seeing the animals out our window.

I'm a newly single mom of 2 tweens. We did Disney 3 times over the years as a family so our upcoming trip will be my first one as a solo adult with kids. I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to handle things without their dad but still....it's a bit daunting.

Welcome! I'm so excited to see this board grow! I had no idea there were this many single parents here. I often felt as if I were one of the few. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I'm hoping to take DS to Animal Kingdom next year. He'll be 2 years old then. I want to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I haven't even priced it, to see how expensive it is to stay in a room with a view of the Savannah.

What's AoA? I'm still learning the resort acronyms. :)

AoA is Art of Animation. I got a good deal on the room through Orbitz, it was a bit of a walk from the main area but we liked it. And kiddo loved the pool right outside our door (in the Little Mermaid section). I had been looking at Animal Kingdom Lodge but for two nights couldn't justify the price. I'd love to stay there though! Someday :) Right now my son's favourite Disney movie is the Jungle Book, so staying at POP Century with the big Baloo and Mowgli out front would be neat. The only characters we met at Animal Kingdom (other than the guys at Tuskers where we had breakfast) were King Louie and Baloo. He had no interest in anyone else!

I'm thinking AOA is Art of Animation. I have never stayed there. My home resort is Animal Kingdom and it is great My DS loves getting up in the morning and seeing the animals out our window.

Oh yeah! I'm definitely staying at the AKL when we go! DS is going to love it! I just know he will. :)

I'm a newly single mom of 2 tweens. We did Disney 3 times over the years as a family so our upcoming trip will be my first one as a solo adult with kids. I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to handle things without their dad but still....it's a bit daunting.

You can do it! Welcome to the group by the way. :)

AoA is Art of Animation. I got a good deal on the room through Orbitz, it was a bit of a walk from the main area but we liked it. And kiddo loved the pool right outside our door (in the Little Mermaid section). I had been looking at Animal Kingdom Lodge but for two nights couldn't justify the price. I'd love to stay there though! Someday :) Right now my son's favourite Disney movie is the Jungle Book, so staying at POP Century with the big Baloo and Mowgli out front would be neat. The only characters we met at Animal Kingdom (other than the guys at Tuskers where we had breakfast) were King Louie and Baloo. He had no interest in anyone else!

Thank you! I still haven't looked at the prices for a room with a savannah room. I guess better save up! This Alaska cruise on DCL is expensive (to me). Trying to squeeze in a short fall 2016 cruise with a day at WDW on each side of the cruise is going to be tight. Gosh, I wish Disney were more affordable. :)

I'm a single mom to 3 daughters--my two oldest girls are grown and married, but my youngest is 13. She is my little travel buddy, and she loves everything Disney. I've taken her to Disney World every May since she was 5 years old. When we went this year, we took my 3 granddaughters--13, 10, and 8--along with my daughter's cousin, who is also 13. It was definitely a challenge for me to take 5 girls by myself, but we made it through just fine, and everyone had a wonderful time.

My daughter is ready for a change when we take our vacation next year. It will just be the two of us, and we'll only visit one Disney park for one day--Epcot, our favorite. We'll be going to Discovery Cove, and that admission comes with 14 days' worth of admissions to Sea World and Aquatica, so that will take up most of our time. We will take one day to do some stuff on International Drive, like The Titanic Experience and NCI. I'm still figuring out our lodging, but we'll likely rent a timeshare in the area--I just love all of the room, not to mention the full kitchen and washer/dryer!

I'm a single mom to 3 daughters--my two oldest girls are grown and married, but my youngest is 13. She is my little travel buddy, and she loves everything Disney. I've taken her to Disney World every May since she was 5 years old. When we went this year, we took my 3 granddaughters--13, 10, and 8--along with my daughter's cousin, who is also 13. It was definitely a challenge for me to take 5 girls by myself, but we made it through just fine, and everyone had a wonderful time.

My daughter is ready for a change when we take our vacation next year. It will just be the two of us, and we'll only visit one Disney park for one day--Epcot, our favorite. We'll be going to Discovery Cove, and that admission comes with 14 days' worth of admissions to Sea World and Aquatica, so that will take up most of our time. We will take one day to do some stuff on International Drive, like The Titanic Experience and NCI. I'm still figuring out our lodging, but we'll likely rent a timeshare in the area--I just love all of the room, not to mention the full kitchen and washer/dryer!

Wow, Disney every year for the past 8 years! What a special tradition. Kudos to you for taking 5 girls to WDW by yourself. I've been called brave for taking my 12 month old on a Disney cruise by myself, but it was actually easy and really fun.

I've only been to Epcot once and that was over 30 yrs ago. I need to put that on the list of things to do with DS. :)

Wow, Disney every year for the past 8 years! What a special tradition. Kudos to you for taking 5 girls to WDW by yourself. I've been called brave for taking my 12 month old on a Disney cruise by myself, but it was actually easy and really fun.

I've only been to Epcot once and that was over 30 yrs ago. I need to put that on the list of things to do with DS. :)

Epcot has been my daughter's favorite park ever since her first visit--such a great variety of things to do there! One of the reasons that we have to add it in for next year's trip is that we couldn't do all of the things that we like this year since we had to please 4 other kids. We like to shop all around World Showcase, but that wasn't in the budget this time since I had to feed everyone. I'll tell you, paying $60 every time we had a counter service meal was a bit of a shock, since we're used to it being more like $20!

Epcot has been my daughter's favorite park ever since her first visit--such a great variety of things to do there! One of the reasons that we have to add it in for next year's trip is that we couldn't do all of the things that we like this year since we had to please 4 other kids. We like to shop all around World Showcase, but that wasn't in the budget this time since I had to feed everyone. I'll tell you, paying $60 every time we had a counter service meal was a bit of a shock, since we're used to it being more like $20!

Whoa! The kids (their parents) didn't pay for their own meals????

Hello I have been a single mom since January 2010 when my DH passed away. My DD Megan (now 15) and I have always loved Disney, my DH went along for the ride! we have done WDW 4 times and DLR 5 times since then (total 9 to WDW, over 40 to DLR and 1 DCL) We have always loved to travel together and look forward to many more trips to the world and land and many more places! Even as a small child my DD travelled well (first trip was at 3 months) and we've never looked back. We have even travelled to places that my DH and I visited before my DD was born or when she was small so she will have memories of those special places we shared with her daddy! As she has gotten older and now in high school we are more limited on our travel days, but still try to do a trip to Disney at least every 18 months or so, its our happy place!

Last edited:
Hello I have been a single mom since January 2010 when my DH passed away. My DD Megan (now 15) and I have always loved Disney, my DH went along for the ride! we have done WDW 4 times and DLR 5 times since then (total 9 to WDW, over 40 to DLR and 1 DCL) We have always loved to travel together and look forward to many more trips to the world and land and many more places! Even as a small child my DD travelled well (first trip was at 3 months) and we've never looked back. We have even travelled to places that my DH and I visited before my DD was born or when she was small so she will have memories of those special places we shared with her daddy! As she has gotten older and now in high school we are more limited on our travel days, but still try to do a trip to Disney at least every 18 months or so, its our happy place!

:wave:

Our husbands died a couple of months apart. I started travel early in each of my children's lives too. We really enjoy going places. I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip to Haiti. I'm hoping to do a mission trip there some time in the future. I know a pastor who opened an orphanage there.

Hi all
I will be the first post! I am a single mom to a wonderful DD8. She came home to me from Guatemala. Pre motherhood I have been a Disney addict and have about 20 visits many as a solo logged. As a single parent, I love Disney vacation as there is ALWAYS something to do and built in kids to do them with!

What are you tips for single parent travel? I budget for a great "adult beverage" every day and time to relax and enjoy it!

Rapunzelmom, I have 2 DDs from Guatemala, ages 10 and 12. We are Disney lovers too. Wonder if we know each other from other social media sites?

Whoa! The kids (their parents) didn't pay for their own meals????

No, they sent a little spending money, so I had them use that for souvenirs. It was only one counter service meal per day, since we were staying in a condo--all other meals were in the room. Money was a bit tight, but we did it!

No, they sent a little spending money, so I had them use that for souvenirs. It was only one counter service meal per day, since we were staying in a condo--all other meals were in the room. Money was a bit tight, but we did it!

You're so kind. I'm sure the girls appreciated it. :)

I am so happy to see this forum. I am a very proud single mom to DS (20) is in the process of going into the Navy, DD (18) newly graduated from high school and going to college in the fall for Criminal Science - also applying into the Correctional Unit in our county, DS (15) Air Force JROTC and Electronics special program high school (he's very gifted in Math and excels in school), DS (7) Rookie baseball player (machine pitch) and my special little guy.

I am a Data Analyst and the office Disney planner. I homeschool my youngest in the evenings to pick up the things he is struggling most with in school - currently spelling and handwriting. I believe child support is a myth and I have one dad who is active in his son life (with the exception of admitting he has Asperger's) and the other three - their dad blessedly lives in another state where we never see or hear from him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!