"I'll Do You One Better: Why is Gamora?" (WDW Vets Visit Cali, April/May 2019) Completed 6/23

and I got a red card while waiting in line

I miss red cards!!

I'd love to visit the real New Orleans someday.

One of my favorite cities!! We keep saying we're going to go back soon and then just never do. Although one of my favorite bakeries just announced they were closing effective immediately, and I am so sad. They had the best macarons :sad:

While we were in New Orleans Square I bought this shirt:

GqoYor2l.jpg

I love this shirt so much. I almost bought it at MouseGears the night you left, but didn't end up with it. I may buy it online

and there was no reason he couldn't drop us off at our actual destination.

Ugh, dumb driver. That's frustrating

And some terrifying memorabilia:

GilBOaxl.jpg

Some old toys were downright scary!! The dolls I used to play with at my great-grandma's house were probably just crawling with demons and I just didn't know any better :rotfl::rotfl:

What time did the Comedy Store begin at? I think DH might really like that!

I think the doors were around 8/8:30 and the show started at 9. (Although some of the days and rooms might be different this was the time of the Tues-Thurs ones in the main room I think it was). They announce who's going to be in the shows on Tuesdays each week, but tickets usually sell out fast once people know so you usually have to buy them before you know. Because ours was the beginning of the month the date wasn't posted though until right before, but sometimes their up months in advance (other rooms have specific comedians sometimes so those will be in advance) this was the like 15 min slot/many comics night.

Sounds like a great trip!!

It was!

One of my favorite cities!! We keep saying we're going to go back soon and then just never do. Although one of my favorite bakeries just announced they were closing effective immediately, and I am so sad. They had the best macarons :sad:

Oh no, that's so sad :sad:

I love this shirt so much. I almost bought it at MouseGears the night you left, but didn't end up with it. I may buy it online

You should! Then we can be matching in Sep :rotfl:

Some old toys were downright scary!! The dolls I used to play with at my great-grandma's house were probably just crawling with demons and I just didn't know any better :rotfl::rotfl:

My aunt had one of the first walking/talking dolls back in the day, and she kept it out on display but I guess over the years the voice got messed up and one day it just started walking towards my mom and like making weird noises (she's a lot younger than her sisters), and she swore there was a demon in it:rotfl:

May 2019 Trip Wrap Up

I'm wrapping this up now because I'm starting a new TR for a short WDW trip I took last week! You can follow along on that TR here:

"We Live Here!", After Hours Events, BDay Celebrations, & Sampling All the Snacks (Girl's Trip, June 2019)

And here’s the PTR for our September trip:

A 2019 PTR: California, HHN 29, & More

& to answer all the questions posed in the intro (spark note version in case you didn't read everything):

Why do we end up stuck in Denver?

We ended up stuck in Denver because of storms across the U.S. on the day we flew out. We were set to connect through Baltimore where flights ended up grounded due to tornados, so we switched our flight to connect through Denver where everything was clear. However the flight coming to take us to Denver came from Baltimore so we ended up missing our layover, and getting stuck in Denver for the night. :sad2:

But it all worked out, and we got on an early flight to San Diego the next day after spending the night in Denver.

What other animal did we get to learn about/pet this trip?

Aside from foxes which I mentioned many times over already, we also got to do a tour with seals and sea lions, and we even got to pet a seal!

Is the San Diego Zoo really the best zoo?

I haven't done a ton of research on zoos, and you all had great suggestions for ones to go to in your comments, but it's definitely the best one we've ever been to. We liked it a lot.

Where can you go to hang out with foxes?

The actual location is in the mountains in Santa Ysabel, but if you're looking for info on the place google "Jabcecc". It's a sanctuary with domesticated foxes, and you can book an encounter like the one we had. It's about an hour and a half from San Diego. I would highly recommend this, it's an amazing place.

What's the best character breakfast at DL?

It was Storyteller's Cafe for us!

Would we stay at our DL area hotel again?

Yes, but I'd rather check out some other hotels in the area the next time we go. If money was no object I'd love to stay at one of the DL hotels.

What's my favorite DL park?

I enjoyed DCA the most. It's the one I want to spend more time in whenever we go back in the future.

Which pop up was our favorite?

Definitely the I Like Scary Movies pop up, it was so much fun!

It was really interesting to see the differences between Disneyland and WDW, and to finally get to explore California ourselves. I'm not sure how soon it'll be but I definitely see us going back again because there were so many other things to see and do that we barely scratched the surface!

So with that my TR is over, but I'll see ya real soon!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Loved it a lot.

We had reached our last day in Disneyland/our last real day of the trip

The saddest day of all!

I've never even noticed this location, now I want a photo there!

That facade is so beautiful!

I liked this a lot better than WDW's Small World, it was amazing!

I like the flooded sets at Disney World better, but I love the Disney characters mixed in at Disneyland. And obviously the exterior isn't even comparable at Disney World!

It was fun, but I remember seeing certain special effects in videos people had that didn't look like they were working when we went on it.

Was the dynamite/smoke effect working in the lift tunnel? That's my favorite, and what I really wish Disney World had!

Not worth the 40 minute wait though.

Definitely not, but it's a cute ride. One of the bummers about Disneyland is all the switchback queues.

I'd love to visit the real New Orleans someday.

Oooh you'd love it! I recommend going during Mardi Gras season, it's so festive and fun, and King Cake is AMAZING. And, of course, you'd have to have real beignets at Cafe Du Monde! If you ever do end up planning a trip I have tons of recommendations haha.

This is a great photo!

Before we left the Disneyland Hotel I took a picture of some cool memorabilia they had behind glass:

THose are so much fun, I could look at them for hours!

All in all we had a great time in Cali, and I'm sure we'll be back sometime because there's still so much to see and do!

Northern California is fabulous too. I loved San Fran, and I could rave about Lake Tahoe for days!

This is so cute, I can't stand it!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Loved it a lot.

Aw thank you! It was a really fun trip and fun to share.

I've never even noticed this location, now I want a photo there!

It makes noise too when you push down on it :rotfl:

That facade is so beautiful!
I like the flooded sets at Disney World better, but I love the Disney characters mixed in at Disneyland. And obviously the exterior isn't even comparable at Disney World!

Yeah, the exterior is gorgeous. The one in WDW has never been one of our favorites, but I loved this one. It was so cute and seemed to have so much more in it.

Was the dynamite/smoke effect working in the lift tunnel? That's my favorite, and what I really wish Disney World had!

I think so? I remember seeing a fire effect in a video and not in person, but that might’ve been something older.

Oooh you'd love it! I recommend going during Mardi Gras season, it's so festive and fun, and King Cake is AMAZING. And, of course, you'd have to have real beignets at Cafe Du Monde! If you ever do end up planning a trip I have tons of recommendations haha.

Some day we have to! I’d also like to go to Universal’s Mardi Gras.

This is a great photo!

Thank you! At least one she took came out good :rotfl:

THose are so much fun, I could look at them for hours!

Yes! I wish I had more time to look at them.

Northern California is fabulous too. I loved San Fran, and I could rave about Lake Tahoe for days!

I’d love to do San Fran someday too!

I could tell this one was going to be awkward the minute they posed us :rotfl: and I was not wrong. #ThanksPhotopass

tPXNytul.jpg
PhotoPass never fails to... make things awkward :rotfl:

All in all we had a great time in Cali, and I'm sure we'll be back sometime because there's still so much to see and do!
It sure sounded like a wonderful trip, with so many new experiences and new restaurants. As always, I so enjoy your TRs and can't wait to follow along on the next one! :goodvibes

PhotoPass never fails to... make things awkward :rotfl:

It sure sounded like a wonderful trip, with so many new experiences and new restaurants. As always, I so enjoy your TRs and can't wait to follow along on the next one! :goodvibes

Nope they never fail at that :rotfl:

Yeah, it was really cool to see a new place. Thanks for reading along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!