I'll pray for you......

I have noticed several of you have said "I usually respond" or "I always say". Do many of you get random "I will pray for you"s from random people?

I don't say it unless someone actually says "please keep us in your prayers" or if they tell me something horrible going on in their lives. And the usual response is thank you.

Not from random people, but my MIL says it ALL the time. I don't mind it when it's due to someone in our home being sick, but I DO mind it when it's in reference to problems/issues that are 100% in our control that we are facing. She won't give us credit for anything good...it's always because she prayed for us that something good happened. Drives me bananas.

I feel like we are reading different posts . . . almost every atheist I see in here said they would respond with a Thank you and appreciate the good intent the person was trying to convey.
That's exactly what I do! I have a very religious friend who tells me occasionally that she prays for me and I take it to mean that she's thinking of me. She's sincere in her well wishes and I am equally sincere with my "thank you".

Little update. Brought my daughter again this morning. The wicked witch was not there. The school director was up front instead. She saw me come in and informed me that I have some paperwork to pick up on the way out. On the way out, she pulled me into her office. She apologized for what happened yesterday. Multiple staff members complained about what happened yesterday along with a few other parent complaints led to her dismissal from the school. She was afraid that the lady may tell my daughter something. We are still meeting with the other person on Friday though.

I am so impressed that the staff members also spoke up about her actions & with the school's quick response. Your daughter seems to be in very good hands!

The Montessori model is actually to incorporate religious lessons without any kind of ceremony that makes it seem like a religious lesson. I've attended a wedding at a local Jewish temple, and there is a Montessori preschool on site.
My DD went to Montessori for nine years. There was no religion at all!

I am so impressed that the staff members also spoke up about her actions & with the school's quick response. Your daughter seems to be in very good hands!
Yea I thought she actually had some paperwork for me to fill out. The staff just seemed happier today, like some even spell has been lifted.

Still do not understand why some on here thinks it's ok for them to tell someone that they will pray for them. If someone needs a prayer, they will ask for it.

My DD went to Montessori for nine years. There was no religion at all!
There is no religion there at all. It's a really good program. They have all walks of life come through here. My wife is friends with a gay couple who brings their adopted son from china there. I am sure she will bring them up to date on what went down the past few days.

I have noticed several of you have said "I usually respond" or "I always say". Do many of you get random "I will pray for you"s from random people?

I don't say it unless someone actually says "please keep us in your prayers" or if they tell me something horrible going on in their lives. And the usual response is thank you.

LOL--- well..... My mom is very religious-I NEVER was and every. single. sunday. when she is going to church I would hear "I will say a prayer for you"- and I would respond "no thanks don't need it!"- it was more passive aggressive on her part because she KNOWS how I felt but she still felt like she had to throw that out there knowing it would tick me off.

Glad to see the school administration took action.

I think many hear are missing the point. It's not so much the religious aspects of what the secretary said. It was that she was being UNPROFESSIONAL. It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are but if you are being unprofessional and making clients and coworkers uncomfortable you are chancing being fired.

As written in the OP, I would not appreciate her offer. I've had my cancer come up in conversation and often people say they will pray for me. I do not believe in prayer and simply respomd, "Thank you but say your prayers for YOUNG innocent children with cancer or who are abused or are starving."

Nice update!
Glad to hear how things are working out.

I agree that there has been a lot of understanding and tolerance here. (NOT sure at all where that one post came from)
Many here were tolerant enough to say 'turn the other cheek' to the very inappropriate actions of this staff member, who seems to have been dismissed.

While there is always some anger and intolerance on both sides, just overall, as I have noted for some years now, while trying to be objective.... There really and truly is a definite 'anger' in the tone coming form many on the Athiest side. Those on the religious side will defend... and insists that these kinds of things are 'well meaning', even when that is so obviously NOT true... But, there is not the tone of anger that I often see on the other side.

...my MIL says it ALL the time. I don't mind it when it's due to someone in our home being sick, She won't give us credit for anything good... it's always because she prayed for us that something good happened. Drives me bananas.

Excellent illustration of the comments that I made earlier about how it is often NOT well meaning, about how it feeds their needs, to empower themselves...
And, to push peoples buttons.
Well, to many people who say that phrase, they think it is well meaning!!!
I think it gives them such a narcissistic ego boost to think that they have the power to pass judgment and save souls.

My grandmother and my elderly neighbor are always saying a prayer for me but other than them I don't really know anyone who prays regularly. Or at least they don't say they are going too.
I know for my grandmother it brings her comfort and helps her to believe I (or anyone else she prayers for) will be safe.
I'm an atheist, I don't care if anyone prays for me, but in the OP's situation I would find myself getting snarky because I just don't like *****y people.

Excellent illustration of the comments that I made earlier about how it is often NOT well meaning, about how it feeds their needs, to empower themselves...
And, to push peoples buttons.

How often do you really hear it used that way?

Its like "bless your heart" EVERYONE on the dis says its always used as an insult. Yet honestly here in the deep south, it rarely is. Its usually honest sympathy over something someone is going through.

I have not one time in 53 years heard "I will pray for you" said with any meaning other than the words that are said. My son is atheist. When he was going through a lot with his divorce and when we have lost family members, he has heard many people say "I will pray for you" or "you're in my prayers". He has never felt that it was said in any way other than well meaning. He says thank you and moves on. Not really necessary for any other response. And if he knows someone going through a hard time, he will say "I will be thinking about you".

As for the woman in the OP, sounds like she doesn't quite get the concept of praying for someone. I am floored that she was fired over one incident though. Maybe there were complaints before?

Nice update!

I agree that there has been a lot of understanding and tolerance here. (NOT sure at all where that one post came from)
Many here were tolerant enough to say 'turn the other cheek' to the very inappropriate actions of this staff member, who seems to have been dismissed.

While there is always some anger and intolerance on both sides, just overall, as I have noted for some years now, while trying to be objective.... There really and truly is a definite 'anger' in the tone coming form many on the Athiest side. Those on the religious side will defend... and insists that these kinds of things are 'well meaning', even when that is so obviously NOT true... But, there is not the tone of anger that I often see on the other side.

Sounds like you are trying to incite nonsense into this thread. First Art and now you.

Last edited:
There is no religion there at all. It's a really good program. They have all walks of life come through here. My wife is friends with a gay couple who brings their adopted son from china there. I am sure she will bring them up to date on what went down the past few days.

Sadly, gay couples are not allowed to adopt from China. Perhaps it was another Asian country?

Nice update!

I have definitely NEVER noticed that. Perhaps you're reading too much into such things?

Sadly, gay couples are not allowed to adopt from China. Perhaps it was another Asian country?

Well - they have no specific rule/law against singles adopting a child. If being a gay couple isn't mentioned or asked (basically don't ask, don't tell), I could imagine it happens and at that point what can they do once a child in the US and legally adopted by a gay couple?

While I wouldn't necessarily feel great about anyone losing a job, it certainly sounds like your experience wasn't the only one that was reported to the administration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!