Illuminations being replaced after summer 2019

Happy Dance! So glad it is going - so boring after 20 years. Hoping it is nothing like HEA (a show with no heart) and more like Wishes, or something totally different yet again. But I really wish they'd bring back the World Showcase parade!

Sounds good to me! We were in WDW earlier this month and were able to see Illuminations. It was fine, but not anything we will miss. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with to replace it!

i'm ok with it going. i mean i like it a lot but we don't gravitate to it anymore. we go for dessert in france and walk and listen to it at this point. i really love the music. like i loved tapestry of nations music.

i hope they really step up to making something as good as illuminations was. i think river of lights is ok. i mean i like the music but the show isn't powerful enough.

Yeah, there needs to be something new. I like Illuminations though. Hopefully the replacement will be as impressive and charming. In any case, we need the booming voice announcing "(New show) WILL BE STARTING IN 5 MINUTES!"

Glad I got to see it twice on my last trip; I won't make it back before it's gone (earliest my next trip could be would be September next year, but I think I might try for a trip later in the fall or winter this coming year if I go).

Looking forward to what comes next, though. I just hope it stays visible from all around the lagoon; the limited viewing angles are the big issue with HEA, IMO.

August is actual summer.
Well actual summer runs through Sept. 21stish....so I guess that's what I'm asking, when they say running through summer, do they mean the entire summer season, or do they just mean "their" summer months which I assume ends sometime in August.

Well actual summer runs through Sept. 21stish....so I guess that's what I'm asking, when they say running through summer, do they mean the entire summer season, or do they just mean "their" summer months which I assume ends sometime in August.

For Disney, "summer" typically means the months of July, August and September. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth premiered in September 30, 1999. It would be fitting for it to end on that same date exactly 20 years later. And the new show to begin on Oct 1 - which is Epcot's birthday

Steve

For Disney, "summer" typically means the months of July, August and September. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth premiered in September 30, 1999. It would be fitting for it to end on that same date exactly 20 years later. And the new show to begin on Oct 1 - which is Epcot's birthday

Steve
I'd love it if that happened...I really want to be able to see it again.

I'm happy to see it change, it has changed over the years, but I think only to shorten it. When did they stop the lighting of the countries around world showcase lagoon? I only noticed it last time I was there. As much as I loved it for many years, I think it's time for a change.

I will miss Illuminations! Even though I have seen it many times I always felt moved. It has been a few years since we have seen it so this winter we will make a point to get there a few times.

And I will add my hope that the Imagineers come up with something even more impactful to replace it.

Me either. I would've been happier with just an upgrade of the current show (a better globe, mostly). Also, HEA was kind of a letdown, so I'm really worried about this new show, too.
Yes! I've been saying this for years. They should have wrapped some LED TVs around that thing about 3 years ago when they were super cheap and then it would have been a whole new show practically. I didn't know what they were showing on the globe until I started watching it on YouTube.

I will miss Illuminations! Even though I have seen it many times I always felt moved. It has been a few years since we have seen it so this winter we will make a point to get there a few times.

And I will add my hope that the Imagineers come up with something even more impactful to replace it.

My hope is that it won't be a Wishes to HEA upgrade (like someone above mentioned). Personally, I kinda like HEA, but there is something classical and regal about Illuminations. I just hope they don't turn it into a pop ballad show like HEA. Old school orchestral musical storytelling is harder to find.

... there is something classical and regal about Illuminations...

It's the music. Starting with the pre show loop (30 min), then the beautiful and inspiring score of Reflections of Earth, and finally the joyous "Tapestry of Nations" soundtrack from the Millennial parade. It's an hour of great, timeless music.

At least I have the entire soundtrack on my playlist.

Steve

For anyone wondering if the Frozen dessert party will continue to be offered once the new show debuts, Disney says "At this time, we will continue offering the Frozen Dessert Party."

It's the music. Starting with the pre show loop (30 min), then the beautiful and inspiring score of Reflections of Earth, and finally the joyous "Tapestry of Nations" soundtrack from the Millennial parade. It's an hour of great, timeless music.

At least I have the entire soundtrack on my playlist.

Steve

I agree the music just makes this show for me. I think it's also partly nostalgia. My parents started taking me to Disney when I was 6 - Illuminations has always been our first and last night tradition. I remember walking out of Epcot as a kid one night in tears because we were going home the next day. The music still brings tears to my eyes.

DH and I just got married in Disney in April and we had a private Illuminations dessert party for our guests that night. I also surprised my parents with an anniversary dance to "Promise" during the reception (we got married on April 28th - their 28th wedding anniversary). It's a really bittersweet farewell for me. I think it's time for something new but at the same time I hope the new show isn't focused on IP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter