I'm a roller coaster chicken. Should I still ride Big Thunder?

caribbeandream

DIS Veteran
I need to start by stating that I don't do roller coasters or rides with big drops. Having said that, I love Matterhorn at Disneyland and could ride it over and over. I looked on YouTube and 7DMT looks pretty similar to Matterhorn when it comes to the thrill level so I have decided to try it out on my January trip. Space Mountain is out. I'm still on the fence about Big Thunder. For all those roller coaster chickens like me, should I ride or should I pass on it?

Space Mountain isn't bad either - it also doesn't have any drops. Now it'll shake the daylights outta ya...

I am a coaster chicken, and I ride BTMRR. There aren't any huge drops, although there is one section where you kind of do a little drop, bounce up, and then continue the drop, that is my least favorite part of the ride. But BTMRR is the ONLY coaster I will ride, anywhere, period. I don't even like the Barnstormer.

I always remember a Tim Tracker video where he is riding with his wife and after the big hill he says "ahhh, nice and easy". That's what I think about BTMRR. I say it all the time for pretty much everything else in life now too.

Another ride chicken united with you- but BTMRR is a favorite of mine! It mainly just feels fast- but not major tummy tickles from drops. I've done Splash and no matter how cute it is, the drop makes me want to cry like a baby because I hate it so much! But BTMRR, easy peezy lemon squeezy. You can do it!

Give it a shot - it's a fantastic ride. You may have found that there are lots of people on the boards who don't like rollercoasters generally but love BTMRR. Listen to them. They're right.

BTMRR might toss you around on all the curves but there are no significant drops - a couple of dips but that's all. Others may disagree, but I've found that I feel those more sitting towards the front than the back (but the back feels faster and bumpier). FWIW, the "drops" on 7DMT feel bigger than anything on BTMRR, but it's a smoother ride so a bit friendlier to those who don't really like coasters.

I'd also recommend that you don't rule out SM - there are no big drops on that one either, mostly turning and twisting like BTMRR (and, IIRC, actually slower than BTMRR). So if you end up liking BTMRR, give it some consideration. It's also an amazing ride. The dark and not being able to see where you're going gets some people, but so much fun. My recommendation? Try BTMRR during the day, then at night if you like it (when the ride "feels" bigger and faster - but seeing the stars above while on the second lift hill and you're among the monuments is amazing) - if you also like the nighttime BTMRR, you just might like SM, too.

I've done Splash and no matter how cute it is, the drop makes me want to cry like a baby because I hate it so much!
Will never do Splash either. It reminds me too much of Jurassic Park at Universal and I HATED that drop. Of course, my son who was a few weeks shy of his 5th bday, said it was his favorite ride. He also loves Splash Mountain and will wait as long at it takes in the single rider line to ride the front row. I swear if I had not been awake at his birth (and he's also his dad's mini-me) I would have sworn he was switched at birth. LOL

Give it a shot - it's a fantastic ride. You may have found that there are lots of people on the boards who don't like rollercoasters generally but love BTMRR. Listen to them. They're right.

ShadeDK - I didn't quote your entire post but I was really touched by your eloquence. Sometimes people mean well and come off rude but you are the complete opposite.

Absolutely... Big Thunder is the perfect 'starter' coaster for those who don't necessarily love coasters. There aren't any big drops, it doesn't go upside down or backwards and it's smooth. As a PP has suggested, for your first ride ask to sit towards the front, as it's tamer than sitting towards the back.

Yes! Yes! I also didn't ride the roller coasters, I always elected to sit out with the younger children but I really missed out and now I love BTMRR a lot. I also went on SM and loved that also. Please give it a try, Promise it will be fine.

I'm a total coaster and ride chicken and I LOVE BTMRR!!! I HATE drops. BTMRR is just fast and does some circles but there are no big drops. I can handle 7DMT, Barnstormer and Primeval Whirl, too (though Primeval is my absolute limit!) EE, Space, RnRC, ToT, Mission Space Orange - no way! I will only do Splash because my DS10 loves it and the drop is so fast (and there is only one). I would do 7DMT and then work your way up to BTMRR. It's really fun, IMHO!

My husband isn’t a coaster fan and he rides all of them, even RnR. None of the coasters at Disney are super intense.

Will never do Splash either.

I was chicken to go on Splash...then I went on and didn't like "the drop". My granddaughter loves this ride so I decided to try it again for her. We were in the back row and it really made a difference to me. I have since been able to go on this ride and truly enjoy it, but I always request to sit in the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!