I'm afraid it's finally happened--I just might be Disneyed-out

PrestonatorSR

Mouseketeer
DW and I just returned from our 10-day stay at SSR. The stay was "fine" and SSR staff extended warm hospitality--though the rooms are in serious need of updating and removal of the mustiness that has accumulated over the years. As for the parks, I found the summer crowds to be relatively light everywhere--except MK, which always finds a way to be super busy. Overall, it was a "nice" vacation--but lacking in the number of WOW moments. This, I think, has much more to do with our now extensive familiarity with WDW rather than what WDW has to offer. (And yes we've gone in the summer a lot--so the nuclear heat isn't really the tipping point issue.) I just might--finally-- be Disneyed-out.

In August 2001, DW and I brought our 3 young children to WDW for what was to be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation. Instead, it became an annual trip back "home" to soak in the magic over and over again. Our kids went from toddlers to College Program participants (2) and now even a full-time cast member. So, let me be clear, I/we still love WDW and all that it has meant to our family for the last two decades. We have so many magical memories to treasure!

But, alas, I must confess that our annual, now sometimes twice-annual treks to WDW, have become just a bit too familiar--even, as yes, we try new things and do them differently as empty nesters. I understand that transitions in the family dynamic are a natural and desirable part of life; and, yes, there are new things to be excited about--especially seeing our daughter work in the world--super cool! It's just that on the whole--I think it's "enough"--at least for now. I say that not as a knock on Disney and with full appreciation for the privilege it is to be sufficiently resourced to have made so many trips there over the years. I've just come to recognize that a break may be in order. Besides, didn't someone once say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Check back with me first of year to see if my Disney fever returns...

DW and I just returned from our 10-day stay at SSR. The stay was "fine" and SSR staff extended warm hospitality--though the rooms are in serious need of updating and removal of the mustiness that has accumulated over the years. As for the parks, I found the summer crowds to be relatively light everywhere--except MK, which always finds a way to be super busy. Overall, it was a "nice" vacation--but lacking in the number of WOW moments. This, I think, has much more to do with our now extensive familiarity with WDW rather than what WDW has to offer. (And yes we've gone in the summer a lot--so the nuclear heat isn't really the tipping point issue.) I just might--finally-- be Disneyed-out.

In August 2001, DW and I brought our 3 young children to WDW for what was to be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation. Instead, it became an annual trip back "home" to soak in the magic over and over again. Our kids went from toddlers to College Program participants (2) and now even a full-time cast member. So, let me be clear, I/we still love WDW and all that it has meant to our family for the last two decades. We have so many magical memories to treasure!

But, alas, I must confess that our annual, now sometimes twice-annual treks to WDW, have become just a bit too familiar--even, as yes, we try new things and do them differently as empty nesters. I understand that transitions in the family dynamic are a natural and desirable part of life; and, yes, there are new things to be excited about--especially seeing our daughter work in the world--super cool! It's just that on the whole--I think it's "enough"--at least for now. I say that not as a knock on Disney and with full appreciation for the privilege it is to be sufficiently resourced to have made so many trips there over the years. I've just come to recognize that a break may be in order. Besides, didn't someone once say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Maybe take a break until you can share Disney with your grandchildren some day. It will all be new again through their eyes!

Have you used your points for Vero Beach or Hilton Head? We don’t do Disney World every year-but going to the beach resorts are a great alternative.
Hey--that's a good thought about Hilton Head--but from what I can gather--you really have to know your dates WELL ahead of time to have a chance at booking (or is that not true?). Thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe take a break until you can share Disney with your grandchildren some day. It will all be new again through their eyes!
We have thought that, too, but for various reasons at this point--the prospects of any grandchildren seems increasingly unlikely. So that has factored into my thinking as well...

We have thought that, too, but for various reasons at this point--the prospects of any grandchildren seems increasingly unlikely. So that has factored into my thinking as well...
Then perhaps view this as an opportunity to explore new places and new kinds of vacations. Disney will be there if you feel the desire to return at a future time. Happy adventures!

You should try Disneyland. It’s so different yet the same. We found it to be very magical and special. The beaches aren’t far away. Honestly the entire vibe in California is just plain cool. We loved every minute.

Hey--that's a good thought about Hilton Head--but from what I can gather--you really have to know your dates WELL ahead of time to have a chance at booking (or is that not true?). Thanks for the suggestion!
If you can travel to HH other than the summer months you shouldn’t have any problem-and off season-May or September, October it’s still warm. Vero Beach we’ve never had a problem booking. They are both beautiful resorts!

I own at CCV and booked a one bedroom at HHI at the 7 month mark without an issue for a full week in August (we are leaving in 16 days WAHOO)- now, that's me waiting for exactly the time to sign on and book the room online at exactly 7 months.
I can't say enough good stuff about the HHI resort. If you want a deeper dive before heading over there, I highly recommend the Facebook fan group - a lot of the cast members are also members and there's a lot of great information on golf courses, restaurants, things to do on and off the resort, surrounding area information (Savannah is only 45 mins away for example), boat tours etc - it's an excellent resource: "DHHIR - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort"

It has Disney touches but it's set to a drastically different pace and amazing service level from cast members.

I own at CCV and booked a one bedroom at HHI at the 7 month mark without an issue for a full week in August (we are leaving in 16 days WAHOO)- now, that's me waiting for exactly the time to sign on and book the room online at exactly 7 months.
I can't say enough good stuff about the HHI resort. If you want a deeper dive before heading over there, I highly recommend the Facebook fan group - a lot of the cast members are also members and there's a lot of great information on golf courses, restaurants, things to do on and off the resort, surrounding area information (Savannah is only 45 mins away for example), boat tours etc - it's an excellent resource: "DHHIR - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort"

It has Disney touches but it's set to a drastically different pace and amazing service level from cast members.

Thanks for the additional detail; sounds very intriguing! I'm going to look into this...Cheers and Thank You!!

Aulani beckons!

I am 100% with you. I have been experiencing "Disney Ennui" for a couple of years. We bought DVC in the 1990's before we had our DD and now that she's in college (a Junior) and doesn't join us very often ... it's pretty boring. I have a trip next month with the DD and her boyfriend and I actually have a level of excitement. I also have a trip planned in October with adult friends for "Grub and Booze". I think for us we have to transition from a "family" vacation to an "adult" vacation. Disney is fine with my DD and fine with friends, but frankly NOT fine with my DH. I would rather do/experience something different with him. Disney is *gasp* boring.

Our APs expires in late December. We won't be renewing them. Instead we will be selling our points to pay for more exciting vacations (edited, renting out the points, not selling ... yet). I think we'll wait a year and then see if something floats our boat. If not, we might sell at least one DVC contract.

Last edited:
Some times you can pay cash for a studio that is actually cheaper than using your points. (during the off season)

I can totally relate to this. Just getting back to it as life changes. Bringing friends with little ones. My daughter who hadn't been in 7 years and new son-in-law who have never been - both soldiers stationed overseas. Waiting and hoping for a grandchild announcement in the future (oh please, oh please). But I could have written your exact post a few years ago.

The great thing about this is you have an asset you can sell, and in some cases sell it for more than you paid.
The way DVC holds its value, or has to date, is really nice if/when this day comes.

The answer is so obvious and you are overlooking it even though it’s right in front of you. You will kick yourself for missing it as soon as you read the next sentence.

You and your husband need to have more children and then the Disney Magic will flow once again! :)

Go to Disney when it excites you .
Just enjoyed three weeks together 7 Adults ,4 grandchildren The magic truly returned :welcome:

Say it isn't so. I would do HHI. I went there and Vero the past two trips and loved every minute. Kayaying in the marsh at HHI and learing about the oyster beds, go over to the beach house and catch a sunrise, biking, the marina is right there with shops and restaurants and then go over to Sea Pines and check out the lighthouse more great restaurants, ice cream and low country. Laid back and relaxing. You will love it and still have Disney in your heart, mickey waffles and plenty of dole whip. Plus it's so close to Charleston and Savannah.

hhiporch-jpg.423710

Attachments

• hhiporch.jpg
    hhiporch.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,384
Say it isn't so. I would do HHI. I went there and Vero the past two trips and loved every minute. Kayaying in the marsh at HHI and learing about the oyster beds, go over to the beach house and catch a sunrise, biking, the marina is right there with shops and restaurants and then go over to Sea Pines and check out the lighthouse more great restaurants, ice cream and low country. Laid back and relaxing. You will love it and still have Disney in your heart, mickey waffles and plenty of dole whip. Plus it's so close to Charleston and Savannah.

View attachment 423704View attachment 423709
hhiporch-jpg.423710
View attachment 423711
LOVE your pics! SO EXCITED to be back mid September, cannot wait!
:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!