I'm afraid it's finally happened--I just might be Disneyed-out

You can also trade out for DCL or RCI. I know people say DCL is not an efficient use of points but it works for us (12 cruises down, one booked for 2020). We have also stayed a lot of VERY NICE places by trading out.

You can also trade out for DCL or RCI. I know people say DCL is not an efficient use of points but it works for us (12 cruises down, one booked for 2020).

For us, we paid cash for 1 & 2 in the room, then used points for the 3rd. We felt it was a better value that way.

Also, we've started doing Disney every other year, but using our points to stay either a little nicer (Poly or AK) or in a bigger room. And I would also agree with the earlier poster - Aulani is a FANTASTIC use of points! Splurge for the 1-bedroom at least - the savings in being able to cook makes up for the points.

I can relate - went as a kid. First trip to WDw with the kids was for my DD1 5th birthday who is now 23. But I have found so many ways to do WDW and starting as I get older to appreciated the resorts and less the parks. But we are on a hiatus - went in January for Marathon weekend and have no active plans at all for the first time in several years.

I get it. I do love our Disney trips, but I can see where it might get to feel like the same old thing. We only bought 150 points, so we have changed things up a bit, bank points and don’t go as often.

But, we also have other interests in Florida. I plan to use it as a base for spring training trips. Also, when our schedules become more flexible (no school calendar to worry about), getting a break from our NY winters. We also golf, and honestly a relaxing vacation in a beautiful 2 bedroom villa, we could easily do Disney without hitting the parks. There is plenty to do.

I love the HH and VB options, and hope one day to do Hawaii.

I too was beginning to feel a bit that it was the same old same old. My kids are just 13 and 10 and have been to the parks 20+times. I do not want them to tire of Disney EVER!
Our annual passes ran out last summer and we did not renew but have stayed at WDW twice since and will be returning this Thanksgiving. No annual passes. No park tickets. I have booked different resorts each time and we are so enjoying our time there using the pools, tasting new resort restaurant foods and spending time outside of WDW!
Last Thanksgiving we enjoyed 5 nights just at the resort! We enjoyed Hoop and shine mini golf and attended the Mickeys Christmas Party. ❤️ we had a great time and felt it was just enough park time for our Fishery fix.
We just did a trip, staying at Beach Club, to Discovery Cove, Sea World, Aquatica and Busch Gardens this summer. We all absolutely loved it! I can't believe what we were missing!
We go again this Thanksgiving and are squeezing in a 3 night cruise on the Dream.
We are already planning next summer to Aulani!
Sometimes a break is just what the heart desires!
There are so many changes happening right now...we feel like we have lots of Disney fun to look forward to!

One of the ways we keep Disney 'new' is we only visit what we are near because I do not like to vacation longer than 5 nights. So if we're at AK-J we visit AK, when at BL we're at MK, etc. We usually miss DS the most so if we stay at AK-J we'll bus it to DS.

DW and I just returned from our 10-day stay at SSR. The stay was "fine" and SSR staff extended warm hospitality--though the rooms are in serious need of updating and removal of the mustiness that has accumulated over the years. As for the parks, I found the summer crowds to be relatively light everywhere--except MK, which always finds a way to be super busy. Overall, it was a "nice" vacation--but lacking in the number of WOW moments. This, I think, has much more to do with our now extensive familiarity with WDW rather than what WDW has to offer. (And yes we've gone in the summer a lot--so the nuclear heat isn't really the tipping point issue.) I just might--finally-- be Disneyed-out.

In August 2001, DW and I brought our 3 young children to WDW for what was to be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation. Instead, it became an annual trip back "home" to soak in the magic over and over again. Our kids went from toddlers to College Program participants (2) and now even a full-time cast member. So, let me be clear, I/we still love WDW and all that it has meant to our family for the last two decades. We have so many magical memories to treasure!

But, alas, I must confess that our annual, now sometimes twice-annual treks to WDW, have become just a bit too familiar--even, as yes, we try new things and do them differently as empty nesters. I understand that transitions in the family dynamic are a natural and desirable part of life; and, yes, there are new things to be excited about--especially seeing our daughter work in the world--super cool! It's just that on the whole--I think it's "enough"--at least for now. I say that not as a knock on Disney and with full appreciation for the privilege it is to be sufficiently resourced to have made so many trips there over the years. I've just come to recognize that a break may be in order. Besides, didn't someone once say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Check back with me first of year to see if my Disney fever returns...

We're in the same boat as you. We bought DVC in 2004 so we've been DVC members for 15 (!) years. After a pretty amazing decade of Disney trips, we quickly became Disney-ed out. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. We've since used our DVC points at Concierge Collection Resorts (favorites including Fairmont San Francisco, Keystone Resort in CO, and the Mandarin Oriental in DC, among others) - which I realize isn't a good value. At the same time, we didn't buy into DVC as an investment, but as an opportunity to travel and have really wonderful places to stay while doing so. Disney still has high standards for its resort and hotel Concierge Collection selections so we've never been disappointed. We now go to WDW every 3-4 years - we experienced Toy Story Land and Pandora in Dec 2018 for the first time, which made the trip really memorable. We'll be at Aulani for the first time this winter - really looking forward to it. I've been reading some pretty incredible trip reports of folks traveling to the other Disney parks around the world. It's my dream to one day check out Disney Paris and Tokyo Disney.

I do agree that perhaps we need to let WDW cool off till the next generation arrives. Or a recession.... a recession would perhaps stall the hyper insane price increases, and allow the crowds to become more manageable. Time will tell....

DW and I just returned from our 10-day stay at SSR. The stay was "fine" and SSR staff extended warm hospitality--though the rooms are in serious need of updating and removal of the mustiness that has accumulated over the years. As for the parks, I found the summer crowds to be relatively light everywhere--except MK, which always finds a way to be super busy. Overall, it was a "nice" vacation--but lacking in the number of WOW moments. This, I think, has much more to do with our now extensive familiarity with WDW rather than what WDW has to offer. (And yes we've gone in the summer a lot--so the nuclear heat isn't really the tipping point issue.) I just might--finally-- be Disneyed-out.

In August 2001, DW and I brought our 3 young children to WDW for what was to be a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation. Instead, it became an annual trip back "home" to soak in the magic over and over again. Our kids went from toddlers to College Program participants (2) and now even a full-time cast member. So, let me be clear, I/we still love WDW and all that it has meant to our family for the last two decades. We have so many magical memories to treasure!

But, alas, I must confess that our annual, now sometimes twice-annual treks to WDW, have become just a bit too familiar--even, as yes, we try new things and do them differently as empty nesters. I understand that transitions in the family dynamic are a natural and desirable part of life; and, yes, there are new things to be excited about--especially seeing our daughter work in the world--super cool! It's just that on the whole--I think it's "enough"--at least for now. I say that not as a knock on Disney and with full appreciation for the privilege it is to be sufficiently resourced to have made so many trips there over the years. I've just come to recognize that a break may be in order. Besides, didn't someone once say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Check back with me first of year to see if my Disney fever returns...
If I could write as well as you, I would have said the exact same thing. You covered all the points perfectly. I agree with you 100%

I am 100% with you. I have been experiencing "Disney Ennui" for a couple of years. We bought DVC in the 1990's before we had our DD and now that she's in college (a Junior) and doesn't join us very often ... it's pretty boring. I have a trip next month with the DD and her boyfriend and I actually have a level of excitement. I also have a trip planned in October with adult friends for "Grub and Booze". I think for us we have to transition from a "family" vacation to an "adult" vacation. Disney is fine with my DD and fine with friends, but frankly NOT fine with my DH. I would rather do/experience something different with him. Disney is *gasp* boring.

Our APs expires in late December. We won't be renewing them. Instead we will be selling our points to pay for more exciting vacations (edited, renting out the points, not selling ... yet). I think we'll wait a year and then see if something floats our boat. If not, we might sell at least one DVC contract.
look into using points to go with RCI . you can use them almost anywhere you'd care to roam! some you can even book 1-2 or 3 nights! We have been disgusted with ticket prices for a while now, and limit disny to every couple years with grandkids, the rest of the time we wonder. This year, however, we go to Aulani for 10 days in Jan. Can't wait. we used rci in vancouver pre-cruise, in Breckenridge CO and another ski resort , Blue sky montanna to explore yellowstone, ( amazing vacation), and in NYC.

look into using points to go with RCI . you can use them almost anywhere you'd care to roam! some you can even book 1-2 or 3 nights! We have been disgusted with ticket prices for a while now, and limit disny to every couple years with grandkids, the rest of the time we wonder. This year, however, we go to Aulani for 10 days in Jan. Can't wait. we used rci in vancouver pre-cruise, in Breckenridge CO and another ski resort , Blue sky montanna to explore yellowstone, ( amazing vacation), and in NYC.
Thanks! I will look into that, but right now I'm renting out my points and using the cash to pay for other vacations.

Have you used your points for Vero Beach or Hilton Head? We don’t do Disney World every year-but going to the beach resorts are a great alternative.
Good idea...or Aulani. we did that in October. We loved it!

We're in the same boat as you. We bought DVC in 2004 so we've been DVC members for 15 (!) years. After a pretty amazing decade of Disney trips, we quickly became Disney-ed out. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. We've since used our DVC points at Concierge Collection Resorts (favorites including Fairmont San Francisco, Keystone Resort in CO, and the Mandarin Oriental in DC, among others) - which I realize isn't a good value. At the same time, we didn't buy into DVC as an investment, but as an opportunity to travel and have really wonderful places to stay while doing so. Disney still has high standards for its resort and hotel Concierge Collection selections so we've never been disappointed. We now go to WDW every 3-4 years - we experienced Toy Story Land and Pandora in Dec 2018 for the first time, which made the trip really memorable. We'll be at Aulani for the first time this winter - really looking forward to it. I've been reading some pretty incredible trip reports of folks traveling to the other Disney parks around the world. It's my dream to one day check out Disney Paris and Tokyo Disney.

I do agree that perhaps we need to let WDW cool off till the next generation arrives. Or a recession.... a recession would perhaps stall the hyper insane price increases, and allow the crowds to become more manageable. Time will tell....
We fell the same way...the concierge collection is good. weve also enjoyed the cruises. We’re older now, so the parks are hard to navigate unfortunately. I’d love to go to the parks for just a few hours and just people watch, but ticket prices are too much for that.. it’s a beautiful place during the holidays!

Thinking about renting our points too. Never done it before. Is it hard?
It can be super easy if you rent them through a broker. People like David's DVC Rentals (www.dvcbyrequest.com) which is a board sponsor. He'll pay you $13.50 - $14.50 per point with almost no work on your part. You can also rent direct here on the DIS for more, but you'll have to put more work into it. You'll get about $2 more per point here on the DIS. I rent existing reservations on another DVC site that is censored here for some reason so I can't share it with you. I would do it here on the DIS, but I would have to pay $199 for a Premium Rental plan to do so.

We find that instead to taking 7 day - or longer - vacation, that it is more refreshing to do 'long weekends' 5 to 6 day trips. We limit ourselves to immediate parks, we avoid buses and try to walk everywhere. We've gone years without visiting some parks, all depending on where we are able to reserve our space. It keeps things new.

I agree to explore other Disney Parks. We went to Tokyo Disney - July 2018. We went to Disney Paris - October 2019.

Our first RCI trade was July 2017. We stay in NYC for one week. Hoping to do a NYC trip in the near future.

I am upset when I read these empty nest posts as a reason for abandoning the Disney spirit. These “empty nesters” have a responsibility to themselves and to the rest of us to have another child or two or three and to keep the Disney fire kindled. Every time someone loses it the world is a little bit colder and darker. Get busy for the rest of us-you will thank me later (maybe). :)

WDW burn-out: Never! Individual park: Absolutely. DW and I are doing an AP year (24 nights) and we are burnt out on the MK since we've stayed at BLT twice so far. Except for the last trip of the AP year with the grown kids/SILs, our stays are only 4-5 nights. We just immerse ourselves in the bubble, enjoy the restaurants, resorts and nap times. We don't try to do everything and let spontaneity guide us. I even enjoy the non-park vacations. So much to do and see. Disney Springs is awesome. Off-site attractions are also beckoning to us. We only do an AP Year every 4-5 years so any 'burn-out' has been sufficeinety extinguised by that time. O, we are also retired empty nesters who love Disney!

It can be super easy if you rent them through a broker. People like David's DVC Rentals (www.dvcbyrequest.com) which is a board sponsor. He'll pay you $13.50 - $14.50 per point with almost no work on your part. You can also rent direct here on the DIS for more, but you'll have to put more work into it. You'll get about $2 more per point here on the DIS. I rent existing reservations on another DVC site that is censored here for some reason so I can't share it with you. I would do it here on the DIS, but I would have to pay $199 for a Premium Rental plan to do so.
Why would you have to pay $199 for a Premium Rental plan on here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!