I'm all for the ROTR virtual queue, BUT

The difference between 7am fast pass and boarding groups right now is..

Wake up at 6:45pm log in refresh page till fp pop open and book what you can. If you miss something you can always keep looking later days/weeks if something slows you down. The option of same day fp is there also.

Boarding group..
Wake up at 5am hope to get the first bus wait in line to get into the park and hope the entire time your not already to late(far back). Tap in and wait for official open to HOPE the app works for you and you can get into a bg. Someone who entered before you might not get one if it lags or glitches someone behind you might get a earlier bg than you due to load times. This plan has no backup option. If you miss it you miss it. Gotta try tomorrow. So again you repeat and hope for a better outcome. Some people only schedule 1 HS day so this system can be frustrating if your on the unlucky side and "fair" if it worked out for you.

You can't compare the 2 systems at all. But being a planner I like the fp planning better than hopes and prayers. If I can't get a fp I book something else and move along.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times the app or website crashed on the morning of my FP reservation day, making me lose out on the FP I wanted. If you are in the park and your phone fails trying to get a BG at least you can walk up to a Guest experience CM and have them get you in a boarding group.

BG's are really not the big deal people are trying to make it out to be. It's a BRAND NEW HEADLINING attraction. It's a hot commodity right now. You want to ride it? Get to the park to be there when it opens and you are VERY likely to get on it and still be able to enjoy the rest of the park, or other stuff...heck go back to your resort and sleep if you want! Go to USO and want to ride Hagrid's? Be prepared to waste hours sitting on a line for a ride that has tons of breakdowns, closes well before the park does and you may not get to ride after al that time.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times the app or website crashed on the morning of my FP reservation day, making me lose out on the FP I wanted. If you are in the park and your phone fails trying to get a BG at least you can walk up to a Guest experience CM and have them get you in a boarding group.

BG's are really not the big deal people are trying to make it out to be. It's a BRAND NEW HEADLINING attraction. It's a hot commodity right now. You want to ride it? Get to the park to be there when it opens and you are VERY likely to get on it and still be able to enjoy the rest of the park, or other stuff...heck go back to your resort and sleep if you want! Go to USO and want to ride Hagrid's? Be prepared to waste hours sitting on a line for a ride that has tons of breakdowns, closes well before the park does and you may not get to ride after al that time.
I think most people against the VQ have not experienced it yet. I know over on the bg thread people have actually come out and said "I was not happy with the system but it works great"
Hagrid's really is a good example. I rode it on opening day but went again a couple of weeks ago, and
1. getting up really early to go not knowing if the ride will be open or not at rope drop
2. If the ride was not open, not knowing how long we would have to wait in an actual line
My DD had not been on it so the pressure to make it over there was on.
The huffin and puffin of a 45 year old slightly overweight me, trying to fast walk to the attraction at the back of the park, while others zoomed right past us. Still not knowing if it was open
It was a good outcome and the ride was open and we didn't have to wait BUT there are so many days that it doesn't open until 2 hours in or even noon time

Why would you want to do that? That’s the problem with Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog Dash. If you have FPs, you have to let more FPs in than stand-by riders, That’s was causes huge standby waits. I think the VQ system is totally fair.
I'm not sure if the current VQ system is fair or not, but it certainly feels random. Currently at park opening hours, it's a lottery... as long as you're in the park before opening time. Not sure how that would be different than people grabbing FP+ lottery style when it's released at x days out. A standby line, even a very very long standby line still gives you a chance to ride it, if no FP+.

Because people in the park will almost always return for the ride. I am sure that there are hundreds of FastPasses not used each day by visitors that get too tired or something comes up. i have done this myself, although I try to cancel them in advance.

Looks like I triggered an interesting discussion, but my only point was that this ride should go on the FP system EVENTUALLY (whether that`s within a year, or two, remains to seen). I don`t understand the assumption that the standby line will be a horror show every day, all year, forever. Assuming Disney gets the ride close to max capacity, ROTR is supposed to be a voracious people eater.

FOP is a unique experience, too, and the standby line, while long, is never 10 hours. And if you didn`t snag a FP (most people do, at some point in their trip) getting in line near closing time is always a solid option. No matter how great it is, I don`t believe that ROTR is going to be in some kind of unique category, in which getting up at 5 a.m. will forever be the only option. That just doesn`t work for some families. It`s pretty glib to say "well, if you REALLY want to ride it, you`ll get up at the crack of dawn." Of course virtually every WDW guest wants to ride the shiny new E Ticket, but they should have more than one (somewhat insane) option to do so!

Last edited:
Looks like I triggered an interesting discussion, but my only point was that this ride should go on the FP system EVENTUALLY (whether that`s within a year, or two, remains to seen). I don`t understand the assumption that the standby line will be a horror show every day, all year, forever. Assuming Disney gets the ride close to max capacity, ROTR is supposed to be a voracious people eater.

FOP is a unique experience, too, and the standby line, while long, is never 10 hours. And if you didn`t snag a FP (most people do, at some point in their trip) getting in line near closing time is always a solid option. No matter how great it is, I don`t believe that ROTR is going to be in some kind of unique category, in which getting up at 5 a.m. will forever be the only option. That just doesn`t work for some families. It`s pretty glib to say "well, if you REALLY want to ride it, you`ll get up at the crack of dawn." Of course virtually every WDW wants to ride the shiny new E Ticket, but they should have more than one (somewhat insane) option to do so!
@Davey Jones II--Have you been on RotR? Yes, FoP is a unique experience, but it's one experience. RotR is several experiences, all packed into one amazing attraction. RotR may go to a FP+ system eventually, but I can't see that eventually being anytime in the near future.

If there were a standby line for this attraction right now, it would be a horror show. That's not to say it will remain that way. I don't really think anyone on this thread is saying or implying that. It's just that, right now, the VQ seems to be working out pretty well and a standby line would be heinous.

And, right now, if you really want to ride it, you do have to get to the park early. It's just how it is right now.

I'm not sure if the current VQ system is fair or not, but it certainly feels random. Currently at park opening hours, it's a lottery... as long as you're in the park before opening time. Not sure how that would be different than people grabbing FP+ lottery style when it's released at x days out. A standby line, even a very very long standby line still gives you a chance to ride it, if no FP+.

This whole argument seems to have 2 very distinct sides, one side that hates getting up early and hates it and the other side that likes getting up early and likes it. But i dont agree with having a standby even a very long standby still gives u a chance to ride. This ride would have 8hr+, 10hr+, maybe even longer type standby waits and that's if there aren't any break downs, that is not a reasonable chance to ride. That's an opportunity for people to fall out from waiting too long, people having to constantly leave for the bathroom, people trying to figure out how to get food, tempers flaring and fights breaking out, this would not be a very good situation at all. Standby is not even an option at early stages for this ride. FOP has been out now for years and still gets up to 5hr standby line, ROR in its early stage would have double this if not longer and although there might actually be folks that would actually wait in this, Disney not going to allow it and risk someone getting injured.

@Davey Jones II--Have you been on RotR? Yes, FoP is a unique experience, but it's one experience. RotR is several experiences, all packed into one amazing attraction. RotR may go to a FP+ system eventually, but I can't see that eventually being anytime in the near future.

If there were a standby line for this attraction right now, it would be a horror show. That's not to say it will remain that way. I don't really think anyone on this thread is saying or implying that. It's just that, right now, the VQ seems to be working out pretty well and a standby line would be heinous.

And, right now, if you really want to ride it, you do have to get to the park early. It's just how it is right now.

All reasonable points. But if you read the posts on this and other threads, some people are stating or implying that they would be fine with a VQ for this ride that stayed in placed indefinitely. And that`s what I`m objecting to.

I would be fine with VQ indefinitely especially when this thing is running near 100%, because that further allows me to navigate DHS with less wait times since I know how tour efficiently with the use of FP (like most here, I would assume). I would be really happy with it not eating up a tier 1 spot. I hope this is what happens with all the newest attractions. Benefits both hardcore Disney planners and the more casual guests, IMO.

I think with a reliable and fully functioning ride, VQ is much more forgiving. Back up groups seem to be lasting a couple hours on a non peak day, and when it doesn’t see major down time they do get on.

That said, I think FP does come eventually. When it does, it’s going to make SDD and FOP seem as easy to get as a tea cups fast pass 😂.

FOP is a unique experience, too, and the standby line, while long, is never 10 hours. And if you didn`t snag a FP (most people do, at some point in their trip) getting in line near closing time is always a solid option.

If most people did, then there wouldn't be 2-4 hour waits for it every day. I think most people get shut out of FoP FPs because they are basically all taken at T-60 (or earlier), and very few ever make it to T-30.

I'm all for a staggered VQ process of some sort, but I've already discussed that in another thread.

I think most people against the VQ have not experienced it yet. I know over on the bg thread people have actually come out and said "I was not happy with the system but it works great"
Hagrid's really is a good example. I rode it on opening day but went again a couple of weeks ago, and
1. getting up really early to go not knowing if the ride will be open or not at rope drop
2. If the ride was not open, not knowing how long we would have to wait in an actual line
My DD had not been on it so the pressure to make it over there was on.
The huffin and puffin of a 45 year old slightly overweight me, trying to fast walk to the attraction at the back of the park, while others zoomed right past us. Still not knowing if it was open
It was a good outcome and the ride was open and we didn't have to wait BUT there are so many days that it doesn't open until 2 hours in or even noon time

Yup, I've ridden it 4 times.

Not one of those times the ride opened on time with the park. Twice i waited a hour before I left and did other rides before I returned.

One time we planned to get there at rope drop, but we didn't get there until a hour after opening (ride didn't open on time anyway). We did Forbidden Journey, which was a 90 minute wait. When we got off the ride, Hagrids had just opened up and we waited 45 minutes. Has been my personal best. Waited almost 3 hours last week at closing. We missed out on riding the Hulk, Foribben Journey, and our dinner reservation.

I'll take VQ everytime.

All reasonable points. But if you read the posts on this and other threads, some people are stating or implying that they would be fine with a VQ for this ride that stayed in placed indefinitely. And that`s what I`m objecting to.
Indefinitely is definitely a word that does not exists in the Disney dictionary

Most people do not get FOP fp+ I have to plan to go to AK on the last day of each of our trips so I can get a FOP fp+. Even then the only ones available are late afternoon.
But I seriously doubt any ride would ever consistently have waits over 300 minutes. Most people are not willing to wait longer than that, or even that long.

Most people do not get FOP fp+ I have to plan to go to AK on the last day of each of our trips so I can get a FOP fp+. Even then the only ones available are late afternoon.
But I seriously doubt any ride would ever consistently have waits over 300 minutes. Most people are not willing to wait longer than that, or even that long.

Anna and Elsa.

I will bring them up every time this is said lol. Sorry Frozen fans and character people, but they’re just characters. Not a really awesome must see attraction, but two college age women in costumes. 5-6 hours regularly! If people are willing to do that, outside if memory serves, I have no doubt there are people who will wait obscene amounts of time for ROTR regularly.

I think if the VQ didn’t exist and Disney let people sit in the standby queue during breakdowns, there would be people packing a days worth of necessities and parking their butts in that line for hours and hours.

Now there is no info on just who this official is, or any proof they are even in the know as they claim but there is a report from an official that the VQ is temporary and it will get FP at some point
See the end of this article
https://www.tampabay.com/arts-enter...osed-before-the-park-was-supposed-to-be-open/
Anna and Elsa.

I will bring them up every time this is said lol. Sorry Frozen fans and character people, but they’re just characters. Not a really awesome must see attraction, but two college age women in costumes. 5-6 hours regularly! If people are willing to do that, outside if memory serves, I have no doubt there are people who will wait obscene amounts of time for ROTR regularly.

I think if the VQ didn’t exist and Disney let people sit in the standby queue during breakdowns, there would be people packing a days worth of necessities and parking their butts in that line for hours and hours.
Yes but even that tempered down a lot before they were relocated

Now there is no info on just who this official is, or any proof they are even in there know as they claim but there is a report from an official that the VQ is temporary and it will get FP at some point
See the end of this article
https://www.tampabay.com/arts-enter...osed-before-the-park-was-supposed-to-be-open/

Yes but even that tempered down a lot before they were relocated

But people were willing for something that was much less deserving of that kind of commitment.

I don’t think 300+ waits would remain forever, but somebody is hopping in FoP when that is 3-4 hours, so I don’t doubt people would be willing to wait in an even longer one for ROTR. The willingness to wait for “just a ride” is there.

One big issue right now is reliability. The ride isn’t in a state they can say here come at 4:30. The vq and bg gives them the ability to basically push all people back a half hour or hour If needed or get people in early if it’s a good day. The ride needs that flexibility to avoid “I showed up at 4 for my fp and didn’t get to ride until 6” type issues.

Another thing to think about... those who say they can’t get there that early due to small children.... those same small children would be waiting in an hours long line if there was no vq. That would be just as hard or harder for littles.

If most people did, then there wouldn't be 2-4 hour waits for it every day. I think most people get shut out of FoP FPs because they are basically all taken at T-60 (or earlier), and very few ever make it to T-30.

I'm all for a staggered VQ process of some sort, but I've already discussed that in another thread.
And the only way to ride it without standing in a 2 hour+ line is to get up at the crack of dawn and get at the AK at least an hour ahead of time to have a chance. I, for one, would rather be in a VQ and get to do something else rather than standing in a 2 hour+ line.. I’ve done that before and have better things to do with my time. I’m sure Disney would rather have you spending money on food and/or merchandise rather than standing in a line forever.

Do you all think that the VQ system would be more or less fair if they allowed one person to arrive before boarding but check in multiple members of their party? On one hand, this would likely increase consumption of the BG because people who currently can’t/aren’t willing to get up that early would have the opportunity to get a BG through another member of their party’s willingness to sacrifice sleep. On the other hand, this would assist those who say they simply can’t get there due to young children, party members with special needs, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter