I'm getting nervous.....this weekend's weather

momtosydneyntodd

Earning My Ears
We are supposed to leave Philadelphia on Saturday, Sept. 10th. I am sick just thinking that our vacation will be effected by the storms heading towards Florida. Any good weather related news out there?????????? I need something to hold on to???? Anyone else have ressies for this weekend?? Any ideas?? Trish :confused3

I am also a little nervous as we are to leave from PHL on Saturday as well. However, the storm is hitting Orlando with rain (family lives there)and hopefully by Saturday the storm will have moved further north, so that we can at least get there.

See you at the airport :earsboy:

We're at WDW now and watching the weather closely. Last I saw, the storm should be pretty north of Orlando by Saturday. We're supposed to be driving home on Friday and are worried about driving through the storm the whole way.

Thanks, we may adjust our route more westerly if the weather looks like a problem.

driving down there this Friday.

I have good luck with most storms - even when they are predicted they don't show up.

so I am hopping it won't ruin our trip.

what are gas prices looking like in Orlando?

I would keep a very close eye on Tropical Storm Ophelia.

She is moving now, after a long period of being stationary. The projected 3 -day path takes her along the Florida east coast with a 40-50% chance of tropical storm force winds (39+ mph) in the Disney area in the next couple of days.

After that, however, Ophelia becomes very problematic. The official five day path projects her to slow down, develop into a Category 1 hurricane early Sunday morning, turning right as she does so. And that's the good news.

The bad news is that hurricanes which do that usually do a 270 -- meaning they clock around from a northerly path, to the east, south, and the end up going west. We've had a number of those movements over the Bahamas in recent years, which brought the storms directly into South Florida.

The computer model guidance is just about evenly split beyond 3 days. Some models call for the hurricane to move out into the Atlantic, while others call for the storm to do a 270, gain strength to Cat 1, and then go right across Central Florida. One of the models which calls for that path is the only model which correctly predicted Katrina's path.

So I'd certainly stay tuned!

Official information can be found at www.nhc.noaa.gov

Hi,

Pixie dust for all of your trips this weekend!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I spoke with MS and with Dining CM and both said that they were not concerned and neither were their local weather people. Me--being the over thinker that I am felt better, at first, but decided that they were told to say that, so as to not cause concern for something that might not happen. I have been keeping tabs on the hurricane site that was given earlier. According to their site-things are still up in the air, so to speak. This will be our first trip home too. Pray for :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

We will be there next wednesday, so we're hoping all the storms have passed through by then. We're driving as well. Good Luck to those of you driving this weekend.

crissy

OKW97 said:
I am also a little nervous as we are to leave from PHL on Saturday as well. However, the storm is hitting Orlando with rain (family lives there)and hopefully by Saturday the storm will have moved further north, so that we can at least get there.

See you at the airport :earsboy:

We're leaving from Philadelphia on Saturday as well, heading for Saratoga Springs. We're split between US Airways and Southwest. And we're nervous, too. I just want to get there safely.

:umbrella:

According to several online weather sites---things are looking good for this weekend and upcoming week in WDW. To those of you who will be in WDW this upcoming week--see you there. Any Southwest Airline passangers leaving from Phila on Sat????????? :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

she is now a hurricane.

but she is still not moving.

the weather bureau here says - all the systems have different outlooks. No way at current time to predict which is right.

http://www.jamesspann.com/bmachine/wxtalk.php

I will in Florida by this time tomorrow (hope so anyway) - so I really want nice :sunny: weather!

well not to :sunny: - partial cloudy would be fine. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

momtosydneyntodd said:
According to several online weather sites---things are looking good for this weekend and upcoming week in WDW. To those of you who will be in WDW this upcoming week--see you there. Any Southwest Airline passangers leaving from Phila on Sat????????? :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

I will be on a US Airways flight in the early am, but three of my siblings and their families are on a SW flight at 1:00 pm (or thereabouts). :sunny:

This is one of those scary storms -- just what we need right?

First of all, the thing has just been wallowing for several days. When tropical systems do that, it's because there is nothing steering them -- which you can read as "We have no idea where this puppy is going!"

The computer models show the storm making a circular movement for the next several days, but the kind of motion and where they project it to go are all over the map -- again because without steering currents, they don't know either.

One model shows the storm doing a quick basketball spin move and shooting over to Jacksonville and southern Georgia. This model used to be the only outlier, but now all of the models are looking more like this one in terms of general motion of the storm.

Another model shows the storm circling around and going down around the Florida Keys.

Three other models show the storm circling farther east in the Atlantic, but then heading straight in toward Jax/south GA.

The other thing I don't like about this storm is the intensity projections.

Last night, there was no projection of hurricane force winds, although they did expect it to eventually reach hurricane force. This morning, they projected it wouldn't reach hurricane strength until Saturday. 5 PM, it's a hurricane, having increased in intensity 17 mph since this morning.

The other thing that troubles me about the intensity estimates is they are a guess between two models, and one of those models is already way low...meaning the other is much higher.

The short story is keep a close eye on this storm. It doesn't look like it is going to do anything quickly, but that could change suddenly.

Good luck to those on their way to WDW. You'll be fine there if it hits, and the likelihood is that it will not.

Nothing new at 11 PM. Still much too early -- probably 48 hours too early -- to tell what this thing's gonna do.

It's out there -- keep your eye on it. When it moves, it does not currently look like it will move anywhere very fast.

Have great trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter