"I'm Off to Do Independent Duck Things!": a twice solo, F&W+MNSSHP DR *update 12/2, JLHB + Sprinkles

Sardine Mania and Downpours: A Very Busy Disney Springs

Around 6pm I got on a bus from the Swan to Disney Springs, and didn't arrive until about 6:45pm. This was the most sardine-packed bus I've ever been on at Disney, truly comparable to buses in China (such fond memories). Once at DS, parking garage signs indicated all were full. I was hopeful my friend could drive and park there all right (she did, as enough cars left between then and 8pm). DS itself was of course very busy, but intermittent heavy rain sent people running into the stores or under awnings, which helped ease walkway congestion (temporarily).

But onto the food: it was time to knock some DS QS spots off my list!

First up was Cooke's of Dublin. It was busier than expected (theme of the evening) and the interior space is truly a European footprint, so I ended up sharing a 2-top with a stranger. I remember the cashier was super friendly, and due to the restaurant being very busy, it took a long time to get my order -- like I was worried they skipped over my order because it took a long time.

I got The Original One & One (Fish & Chips), with onion rings instead of chips:

This started off on a strong note, as deep fried foods tend to do on a near-empty stomach. Great crunch, super hot, fresh. Then the fish began falling apart (like it was steaming its batter off) and wasn't as enjoyable. There were too many onion rings for me; good at first, but the batter was not really to my taste and I ended up throwing over half out. Sad to admit you can indeed have too much fried goodness. This would be fine shared among 2 people, though you'd probably want an extra portion of fish. Overall, I liked Cooke's and would eat there again -- I have heard the gluten-free batter is really good, so I'd try that next time.

Despite wasting a bunch of onion rings and feeling a little sick from all the batter, I was actually still hungry. For a while I walked around, window shopping, and at one point walked past the long winding queue for Chicken Guy (I didn't get in line, but it's still on my list to try). After about an hour since leaving Cooke's I was stepping away from The Daily Poutine with more fried food! Behold, the classic poutine:

I was looking forward to this as it gets rave reviews and I love poutine, but this was far from the best poutine I've eaten :( The gravy was rather thin and tasted like boxed (powdered) insta-gravy, not a rich beef gravy. The curds were barely such; they melted easily, not firm and squeaky like cheese curds normally are. The portion-to-price ratio was fine when taking Disney location inflation into account, so that's a positive note. Fries were average fries.

However, this kiosk was pretty busy and perhaps having an off night as there was only one person staffed. It's not on my radar to try again anytime soon, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if this was just a one-off misfire. It was definitely edible, so don't be scared off by my feelings on it -- it's just not the poutine I'm used to.

~~~~~

Shortly after this (like maybe 10 minutes later), my friend texted that she was in Disney Springs, on the opposite side! I walked over to meet her and then we attempted to find a spot for drinks, chronicled in the next post.

Sounds like you have been busy. Love how, like us, even non-Disney vacations revolve around food :-)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Nomads. I haven't done the margarita, but as you said the Zing is definitely the way to go.

Awesome luck getting a FP for slinky dog. I love trying to pick extra FP's up on our trips. Its like I'm playing a lottery scratch game or something. So fun!

Speaking of fun all your F&W and Disney Springs snacks look great. Snacking (and of course drinking) around anywhere in the world is definitely my preferred method.

Sounds like you have been busy. Love how, like us, even non-Disney vacations revolve around food :-)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Nomads. I haven't done the margarita, but as you said the Zing is definitely the way to go.

Awesome luck getting a FP for slinky dog. I love trying to pick extra FP's up on our trips. Its like I'm playing a lottery scratch game or something. So fun!

Speaking of fun all your F&W and Disney Springs snacks look great. Snacking (and of course drinking) around anywhere in the world is definitely my preferred method.

As they say, food is your passport to the world! Or some variation of that :)

Oh, I share that same attitude about picking up extra FP. I used to feel somewhat compelled to pick up as many as possible, I've calmed way down though :P

Drinks, Gossip, and Cupcakes: A Late Night at DS

Trying to hurry up and finish this report like, yesterday :scared:

We watched "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth" on Netflix Thursday night, and it properly filled me with excitement for our January trip. I'm not sure if I'll do a dining report for that (given my minimal efforts to keep up with this one), but will see after we get back. We leave in just over a month! It went from a 5-night to a 6-night trip, from staying the whole time at AKL, to the first 2 nights at Copper Creek followed by the remainder at AKL! :)

Anyway, let's FP to the end of this report:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently I took very few photos after meeting up with E, which is surprising since (to my knowledge) she is as obnoxiously photo-happy as me :)

It was around ~8pm and most places were packed. We stopped in at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin', where the wait for a table was over an hour, despite the place being half empty. The bar was completely full, so that was out. Raglan Road was truly packed to the gills, but third time's the charm -- we went into Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar, which was loud and busy but still had some open tables. Score!

Because the weather had been humid and on-and-off heavily raining, we took a table inside.

Mea culpa for taking zero good photos of the interior, but isn't this one just fantastic for looking at the ceiling beams?! I liked Jock Lindsey's theme and execution. I don't remember the character from Indiana Jones (it's been decades, friends; but worry not, T unearthed an Indiana Jones DVD box set from his childhood bedroom), but I like airplane hangars filled with memorabilia. Very Backlot Express, which I should clarify is a compliment (and not a backhanded one -- I really do love Backlot).

Cutting to the chase, we both ordered a Reggie's Revenge (Florida Cane 'Orlando Orange' Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, White Cranberry Juice, and fresh Lime Juice). I am pretty sure this is poured from a pre-mixed container, as it may be described more like a flavored juice drink than an alcoholic drink worth ~$12. So, of course, it was very easy to drink and I was soon ordering another "specialty" cocktail.

Next I had the Fountain of Youth (St. Augustine Florida Cane Vodka, Bols Blue Curaçao, White Cranberry Juice, and Sweet-and-Sour). Another pre-mixed delight! I think I just barely acquired a buzz by the end of this drink. If you can't tell, it was almost certainly like 75% blue curacao.

E also ordered their queso (described on the menu as Doctor Astorga's Queso Fundido: A skillet of Melted Soft Cheeses topped with fresh Pico de Gallo served with Warm Flour and Corn Tortilla Chips), but I didn't take any pictures of that. Well, except for the two chips on the right side of the photo above.

None of our drinks were strong and the queso was just average, but our time there was truly a blast. :goodvibes I would go back and try other drinks/snacks since it appears we picked two of their worst cocktails anyway. Prices were pretty much in line with the rest of the WDW property, and they accept Tables in Wonderland, which helps things. Despite me not raving about the drinks/food/service, I had an enjoyable time here and would give it another shot.

After we left Jock Lindsey's, E really wanted to go to Sprinkles. Disney Springs seemed a lot emptier then (around 10ish), and the rain had finally let off. I have never been to Sprinkles before but am familiar with the name/concept, at least from the perspective of someone who scrolls through Instagram from time to time. I cannot for the life of me remember which cupcakes she got, except that she got one for herself, one to take home to her husband, I got a coconut cupcake (above), and then she also got a small cup of ice cream -- like a one-scoop deal.

I love E, especially her unusual habits. For example, she will take 1-2 bites of something she craved -- often something she drove to pick up -- then stick it in her fridge and completely forget about it. This is her way to both satisfy her cravings and stay skinny (I assume -- she has never really explained). So her ice cream, of course, melted after 2 teensy bites while we chatted the night away. I don't even think she minds (or even notices?) that she paid like $4 for two tasting-spoon bites of ice cream -- I joke with T that she truly embraces the concept of sunk costs, at least when it comes to snacks. Past readers may remember her as the bride of the May wedding I attended, detailed in this post.

Okay, enough tangents -- this cupcake was deeeelicious. Moist, sweet, kind of dense, and soft. Everything a cupcake should be. I ate half of it then brought the rest back to put in my hotel room fridge for breakfast, and it was still great the next morning. We have plans to visit Disney Springs in the beginning of our next trip, so hopefully I can remember to stop by here and grab some cupcakes. :)

Alas, well after midnight, Disney Springs was truly close to empty and we called it a night. E dropped me off back at the Swan and I dozed off around 1:30am, falling asleep to an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. :goodvibes

~~~~~~~~~~

Up next, departure morning!

We watched "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth" on Netflix Thursday night, and it properly filled me with excitement for our January trip.
I just saw this on Netflix yesterday. Cannot wait to watch it!

don't remember the character from Indiana Jones (it's been decades, friends; but worry not, T unearthed an Indiana Jones DVD box set from his childhood bedroom), but I like airplane hangars filled with memorabilia
I don't think anyone remembers this character he is so obscure!

Next I had the Fountain of Youth (St. Augustine Florida Cane Vodka, Bols Blue Curaçao, White Cranberry Juice, and Sweet-and-Sour). Another pre-mixed delight! I think I just barely acquired a buzz by the end of this drink. If you can't tell, it was almost certainly like 75% blue curacao.
Thats a lot of blue going on right there. Glad you enjoyed, even if they were pre-mixed!

Okay, enough tangents -- this cupcake was deeeelicious. Moist, sweet, kind of dense, and soft. Everything a cupcake should be. I ate half of it then brought the rest back to put in my hotel room fridge for breakfast, and it was still great the next morning. We have plans to visit Disney Springs in the beginning of our next trip, so hopefully I can remember to stop by here and grab some cupcakes. :)
We still haven't had one of these because honestly I wondered if they could be that good. But you have me convinced!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter