I'm Sick of Mowing

This exceptionally wet summer has led to having to mow at least twice a week all summer, and now into the fall. And I don't see it lessening any time soon.

I'm awaiting a much higher than average water bill arriving within the next few days because most all of the rain predicted for July, August and September -- even rain shown headed this way on radar managed to vaporize before it reached our area. Our lawn is only now recovering because we don't water it, and now we've started with frost overnight, hard freeze coming tomorrow night.

I have to mow every week from March - April, then I have to mow every 3-4 days from May until September, and finally once a week again from October - November. I would much rather have to mow from March-November then to deal with snow.

It’s been a dry Summer here. I’ve actually not cut my yard once this year. My retired dad has taken it upon himself to do it. Given the 3 acres of yard & 4.5 acres of pasture I have, I’m thrilled! I’ll have to cut it once or twice (plus his yard) before Winter as the folks are back in TX for the Winter. But, it’s been a pretty easy Summer, yard wise :)

We recently built a house and so this summer's mission was to grow some grass....its hard to believe how much time we spent watering the lawn aka dirt, but it did grow and I'm grateful that we don't need to water it anymore, but mowing is the new pain! Haha. I don't suspect we will have tooo many more weeks of mowing though because it is just getting too cold.

I mow 6 acres every week takes about 3-4 hours and yea when it was raining here a lot it was hard cause I’d miss a few days and the grass would really grow up fast

Take out the grass and plant something else instead and then you won't have to mow ever again!

You can have some of our rain. My town is having to offer sandbags to residents because it's been raining a record amount. This is without a hurricane.

We only have to mow in the Spring and Fall. Never in the Summer because it doesn't rain here. I think Phoenix has had more rain in the last two weeks than Seattle has had in the last 5 months.

I hated mowing until I got this... No gas and no more flipping cords! Mowing is done in half the time.

The sun goes down at 6pm and it's dark when I get home from work. I put on a headlamp and I can continuing mowing in the dark.

Otherwise, I hang one of these flood lights for additional brightness.

Last edited:
We have a huge yard...so glad when my kids learned to mow. The 14 year old does it for us...massive hill and all . I just need to wave some green in front of him and the job gets done!

I look forward to Sunday’s so I can mow the lawn and clean up around the yard. We have a ton of trees and I hate seeing anything on the ground that should be lol. Yard work is a sick passion of mine.

F2382DF6-7FA7-453B-9592-3A54E1FE7FC6.jpeg

I'm California. I mow every week year round. And it is getting to the point where I will have to rake leaves first to FIND the lawn.

I have a riding mower and a snow blower so neither are particularly difficult. I have 2 acres and about 1.5 of it needs to be mowed, the other part is wooded.

I sometimes swap the rider and use the push mower to get in some extra steps.

Right now the grass isn't growing too fast, but I use the rider with a mulching blade for the leaves... no raking for me except in the gardens.

I love our lawn company... mowing, weed eating, edging, weekly - trims the bushes monthly - Best money spent...

My son still has a number of his lawn care clients, plus his full time job, that was overtime from Spring thru Summer.
I think he is glad that the mowing season is winding down!!!
He is looking to having a ton of time off in Dec... and will coming on our cruise.

If we hadn't been watering our grass we wouldn't have had to mow but we were watering to keep it alive so mowing wasn't as often as it could have been if the weather was better. Terrible terrible drought in our area (it affected farmers markets, crops, foundations, heck even pumpkin patches)......followed by like 10inches of rain in the first 9 days of October. Unfortunately all that rain washed away some of the fall seeding we had done but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. There are some spots that I think just won't grow grass well by the street so I'm thinking if it's not good by next fall we might have to consider doing a small mulch/flower/plant bed where the grass hasn't grown well at all. We did a whole yard aeration this fall though.

Our one neighbor didn't water this late spring into summer as the drought was already getting bad. He's just fall seeded to repair his lawn though there are still some bad spots.

Our front yard is full sun whereas our backyard is mostly shaded so they typically are mowed at different times as they grow differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!