• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm so sad.....

batt01

Mouseketeer
I just read that It's a Small World will be closed during our one-day Disney vacation!

I am so sad because we are bringing out three-year old daughter to the MK for the first time since she was diagnosed with Autism. We are actually going to Florida to meet with some special doctors. Since their practice is only one hour from WDW we thought we would take our daughter to the MK for one day. We visited last year but left her at home with the grandparents while we spent 7 days at WDW with our "neuro-typical" twins. We really felt that they needed a vacation and special time with us since our past year had been spent in a cloud of trying to figure out the world of autism.

So, I was (and still am) looking forward to taking just our youngest daughter to the MK for some special time with Mommy and Daddy, but know that there are very few attractions that she will enjoy. IASW would have probably been at the top of the list. Almost everything else I can think of will be too loud or intense DARN IT! DARN IT! DARN IT! I'm going to go cry now....

My nephew was diagnosed PDD-NOS, after three years of wondering and anguish. Autism came like a thief in the night, and stole our happy little fellow away. Fortunately, with much perserverance and love by his parents, and support from family, professionals, and the state, he is now mainstreamed in 1st Grade. Behavior modification with constant repetition and prompts worked miracles. You may find inspiration, guidance and strength from the book "Let Me Hear Your Voice : A Family's Triumph over Autism" by Catherine Maurice.

We have two small children, and have visited WDW many times. We have not yet gone on any of the 'headliner' rides, and never feel compelled to do anything other than what the kids want at their own pace. Your daughter may enjoy the water features at Ariel's Grotto, the Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island in MK; the fountains and Living Seas at Epcot; Affection Section petting zoo and The Boneyard in AK. Check out the 'Parks' link on the disneyworld.com website for rides, attractions and entertainment. Visit this forum often, and please let us know how we may help.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

She will love just being with mommy and daddy "all to herself"...

even if you just sit on a bench near the flower garden and listen to the music, or ride the monorail all day...magic happens everywhere...

Enjoy your day...and precious time together:)

:sunny:

Hi Batt01,

My DS 9, is on the autism spectrum & has been going to Disney since age 3. He loves it & we're going back May 26th.

There are other rides such as Adventures of Winnie the Pooh that she will probably love. Start there & see if you can work your way up to rides like Jungle Cruise over the course of time. If not, just stick to the 3 or 4 rides she enjoys...She will probably enjoy the rides more upon repititon because she'll know what to expect.

It may help you to know.... Everybody in the support group I belong to that has taken their child with autism to WDW has reported their child LOVED it. All the children are very different yet they all simply loved the experience when it was taylored to them.

So, relax & have a wonderful time with your DD & DH.

I'll keep checking the thread in case you have other questions.

Do you think she might enjoy Peter Pan or the carousel? How about Tomorrowland Transit Authority. It is a very pleasant ride above tomorrowland...not those circling planes...more like an open air monorail with compartments for four. How about the train that circles the MK? At EPCOT, would Spaceship Earth work or the ride at the Land. How about journey into Imagination?

Most of all, as others have said, she'll be with you in a beautiful happy place.

It's so funny you should post about It's a Small World. I couldn't believe it will be closed when we are there. But you little one will love having special time with mom and dad. We are heading there in Oct. and my DS is 7 with PDD-NOS. He can't wait to go swimming in the pool at the Poly.

You guys will have a wonderful time and honey believe me at this very moment I feel like crying (waiting for another diagnosis!) so sit back watch you baby play at WDW and have lots of Mickey bars and french fries!

My ds (5 yrs old) has autism, and when we tokk him to WDW last year we too thought IASW would be his favourite ride . DH and I always loved it for being so very Disney.

But to our great surprise at the time, DS hated it. With a vengeance. In fact I think it is his idea of hell....

When I think of it from his point of view, it's bright, loud and enclosed, very echoey, with thousands of funny dollies singing in different languages at the same time. For someone with sensitive hearing who has trouble filtering it must be crazy. He sits in the bottom of the boat with his head buried in his knees and his hands clamped firmly over his ears. We've been on it more that once, foolishly thinking he might like it better the second time:rolleyes: :(

However he did love Winnie the Pooh, Snow white, and Peter Pan, as well as loads of other things in all the parks. We are going back in December and I don't think we'll miss IASW.

I'm sure you will find absolutely loads of things your daughter will love. The one thing IASW taught us is that no matter what you might think, they have their own tastes and making them go on something they don't like is the worst thing you can do......

Hope you have a lovely time

My youngest DD is not autistic; among her diagnoses is ADD.
She hated IASW for the first few years when she went on. She was fine until the boat entered the first room with all the music, motion - stuff going on all over. Then her arms went up to cover her eyes and ears, and , somehow she got her thumb in her mouth too. Pretty much the same idea as leise posted. It's still not her favorite ride, but she will go on it now without covering her eyes and ears. I do think it was just too much stimulation.

She did much better on some of the Epcot rides (sadly, many of them are gone now) because there was much less going on at once.

If you have not already checked it out, here's a
link to a website with lots of info about touring with children with autism and sensitivities.

Thanks, everyone!

You made me feel better, and yes, I will just enjoy the special moments. Actually, our daughter has already been to WDW. She was only 6 weeks old and everyone thought I was crazy to take such a young baby. We were from New England at the time and it was December. I remember thinking how nice it would be to just sit on a bench and enjoy the sun and green grass while my baby slept. We had a fabulous time filled with many magic moments.

I'm sure that we will be amazed at the things she does enjoy this time. I'll be sure to report back.

Looking forward to our "day of magic".

We have 2 children without disabilities and 1 with and we have gone to WDW with all three of them about 10 times. It has never crossed my mind to leave my autistic one at home:confused: We like to do things together as a family and I don't want to single my autistic child out as different from the other 2, I don't think that would send the right message to them either about their brother. Oh, well, to each their own though....

If I tried to bring my younger autistic son (I have 2 autistic boys) in IASW, he'd beat the crap out of me trying to tell me "make those crazy things stop singing." Singing drives him insane and he will promptly go into assault mode. He doesn't mind listening to things if he wants to, but don't try to sing with it. And he HATES sing-songy voices, like the wee-sing tapes. So, it's not hurting anyone in our group to miss it. I could do without a few bruises.:)

I know, Saymama, Ian is the same way. He screamed and screamed when we were in IASM. He hates singing too, one of the worst things for him is Blues Clues, he's fine till they start singing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter