i'm starting a 100 day exercise challenge. anyone want to join me?

disney world dreamer

DIS Veteran
so today i decided i want to start a 100 exercise challenge where i challenge myself to exercise every day for 30 minutes for the next 100 days.

i'm hoping to get into better shape for my trip to hawaii this july.

my exercise of choice will be the gazelle (this thing)
41SI7D6rjyL.jpg

in my experience it gives a decent full body work out.
i have a treadmill but i find that no matter what athletic sneakers i wear i get terrible shin splints so i'm opting for something that is low impact on that part of my body.

along with the exercise i'm also challenging myself to eat better.
i'm not saying i'm going to be eating purely healthy but more just changing some things that i eat/drink at least for this challenge.

for example i will not have pop and instead replace anywhere i did drink pop with water.
i will also replace junkie snacks like potato chips with more healthy snacks like veggies and low fat dips.

i currently weight about 212lbs and wear a size 18/2x

i will report back with progress if/when there is any.
(i say if/when because i have done diet/exercise plans in the past such as the gillian michaels 12 week program and only lost 5lbs and saw no change in the way my body looked or the way my clothes fit)

if anyone wants to join the challenge feel free to post about it.

Good for you.:thumbsup2 It makes me happy when I see people taking charge of their health and doing things in a better way. Good luck as I know it will be hard but many a times after the first or second week it becomes normal. We use to have a Gazelle and used that thing to death. I'm not a fan of treadmills unless you are walking on it. Too many people don't run correctly and end up doing more damage than good. If you can do 30 minutes a day for 100 days and you are changing your eating habits, you will be very happy with what you end up with. :jumping1:

Good for you.:thumbsup2 It makes me happy when I see people taking charge of their health and doing things in a better way. Good luck as I know it will be hard but many a times after the first or second week it becomes normal. We use to have a Gazelle and used that thing to death. I'm not a fan of treadmills unless you are walking on it. Too many people don't run correctly and end up doing more damage than good. If you can do 30 minutes a day for 100 days and you are changing your eating habits, you will be very happy with what you end up with. :jumping1:

yeah i'm sure i don't walk/jog correctly on the treadmill which is why i get shin splints.
i can walk briskly normally without getting shin splints but something changes on the treadmill lol.
and i would walk outside for exercise but it is winter here plus i am visually impaired so i don't like walking in the street unless i have to.

i like the gazelle except for the awful noises it makes which oiling does not seem to help lol.

btw i'm technically on day 2 because i did it yesterday but only came up with this 100 day challenge today.

Good for you! If you can manage 100 days daily, then you can pledge (to yourself) to do it all the time! ;-)

One year ago March 11, I made up my mind to exercise regularly (3-5 times a week - 45min.) and eat more healthy. I lost 30 lbs. by 5 months, and have not gained them back. I use the Leslie Sansone walking exercise DVD's and I love them! It works, to tone and lose.
I also might mention that I am 68 years old!! I want to lose 10 more (130 lbs. will be right for my age and height), but I'm waiting til summer to lose it, just maintaining what I lost for now.

DH & I just got back from a trip to Disney, and even with all the additional eating, walked so much that I didn't gain.

Good luck to you! You can do it!! Just takes determination! :flower3:

Good for you! If you can manage 100 days daily, then you can pledge (to yourself) to do it all the time! ;-)

One year ago March 11, I made up my mind to exercise regularly (3-5 times a week - 45min.) and eat more healthy. I lost 30 lbs. by 5 months, and have not gained them back. I use the Leslie Sansone walking exercise DVD's and I love them! It works, to tone and lose.
I also might mention that I am 68 years old!! I want to lose 10 more (130 lbs. will be right for my age and height), but I'm waiting til summer to lose it, just maintaining what I lost for now.

DH & I just got back from a trip to Disney, and even with all the additional eating, walked so much that I didn't gain.

thanks for the encouragement.
i figured if i posted it on here i'd feel a little more motivated to actually do it.

I will jump on the bandwagon!
I just started back to walking and pool exercise after 3 months of recuperating from shoulder surgery.
So far, so good.

I love your idea! I just started tracking everything I eat on MyFitnessPal a week ago. I haven't added the exercise part yet, but know I need to.

I heard someone talking about doing exercise through videos on You Tube. Has anyone done that? On our downstairs tv, we don't have a dvd/blue ray player attached, but I could stream you tube workouts if there are good ones.

I really should join in and give it a try. Right now I get in maybe 60 min a week, and 30 of that is with my trainer.

I sometimes do You Tube videos if I can kick everyone out of the living room. I like Jenny Ford, especially her step videos, and various videos from RealFitTV and BeFit.

I heard someone talking about doing exercise through videos on You Tube. Has anyone done that? On our downstairs tv, we don't have a dvd/blue ray player attached, but I could stream you tube workouts if there are good ones.

I love doing workouts on youtube, and my own personal dvd's of Leslie Sansone walking tapes. They are great and they work. I'm proof!! :) I get outside walks in occasionally, but not fond of cold weather at all, so don't do it often. Actually, the walking workouts I do inside are much better than just walking.

I usually do the various 3 mi. (45min.) workouts 3-5 times a week along with eating sensibly.

I love doing workouts on youtube, and my own personal dvd's of Leslie Sansone walking tapes. They are great and they work. I'm proof!! :) I get outside walks in occasionally, but not fond of cold weather at all, so don't do it often. Actually, the walking workouts I do inside are much better than just walking.

I usually do the various 3 mi. (45min.) workouts 3-5 times a week along with eating sensibly.
What workouts do you use on youtube? I'm going to look up the ones mentioned above too.

What workouts do you use on youtube? I'm going to look up the ones mentioned above too.

Just Leslie Sansone Walking workouts - they are the best for my 'advanced' age (68) LOL They give great intense workouts without lots of impact and gyrations! ;-) Don't need any pulled muscles or torn ligaments/tendons!! :P

so its been 50 days and i'm half way.

i figured i should give a progress (or a lack there of) report.

i have exercised every day for 30 minutes with the exception of day 48 because starting on day 40 i was losing motivation and wanted to quit all together so i needed a reboot day.

day 49 (yesterday) i got right back in the game.

after exercising yesterday i decided that i would make a walking route outside. i drove it and it was 2 miles.

today on day 50 i walked it.
it took 33 minutes so still right around the amount of time i wanted to exercise.

i think as long as the weather cooperates i will walk and on days that it doesn't or i can't go at the time i'd like to i'll just exercise inside like i had been doing.

i also started using a waist trimmer sweat belt in the last few days during my exercise.
don't worry its not a corest type and i'm not wearing it all da so its not crushing my ribs or making it hard to breath or making it so i can't eat or anything lol.

as i said this is a lack of progress report and that is because i have not lost any weight and while i feel like i have toned up a bit i have not actually lost any inches.

i will continue my challenge but it definitely seems more challenging now because i'm not seeing any results.

i'm curious as to how its going for everyone else.

How rigorous is that walking dvd? I need to do something , but I have to be careful about my back and sciatica.

I'm in. Let's see, one pushup, one chin up, That will do.

On a serious note it can be done. For medical reasons I had to go from 250# to 160# and keeping it there. Eating is also a part of it.

I'm in. Let's see, one pushup, one chin up, That will do.

On a serious note it can be done. For medical reasons I had to go from 250# to 160# and keeping it there. Eating is also a part of it.

i've also been eating better.
in my OP i said that i would cut out pop completely. i have to admit that was a fail but i have cut back.
i have been drinking plenty of water.
and i love celery sticks and cucumber slices with tizatziki dip.

this is what i ate today and is similar to what i eat monday-friday. (weekends can vary because i tend to eat out)
breakfast: oatmeal and water
lunch: homemade pea soup and water
snack: string cheese and water
dinner: sweat and sour chicken and rice from chicken helper and water
snack: celery and cucumber with tzatziki dip and water
just a few minutes ago: glass of milk

oh and generally i have some pineapple or a banana for breakfast but today i opted for oatmeal since i was going out walking in brisk temps and i wanted something a bit more hardy in my belly.

Last edited:
How rigorous is that walking dvd? I need to do something , but I have to be careful about my back and sciatica.
Leslie Sansone DVDs are low impact and can be kind of a "build your own" type of workout. Right now I'm a fan of Mix and Match Walk Blasters. It's 10, 10 minute walks that you can put together anyway you'd like. Some very mellow walks, some a little more instense but all doable for every level. I have found walking has improved my core and therefore helped lower back issues. She's also really good about telling you to go at your own pace, etc. if there's something you're not comfortable with you just march in place until the next move.
i've also been eating better.
in my OP i said that i would cut out pop completely. i have to admit that was a fail but i have cut back.
i have been drinking plenty of water.
and i love celery sticks and cucumber slices with tizatziki dip.

this is what i ate today and is similar to what i eat monday-friday. (weekends can vary because i tend to eat out)
breakfast: oatmeal and water
lunch: homemade pea soup and water
snack: string cheese and water
dinner: sweat and sour chicken and rice from chicken helper and water
snack: celery and cucumber with tzatziki dip and water
just a few minutes ago: glass of milk

oh and generally i have some pineapple or a banana for breakfast but today i opted for oatmeal since i was going out walking in brisk temps and i wanted something a bit more hardy in my belly.
The thing is to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit. How *much* of these things are you eating? How many actual servings did you have of oatmeal? How many ounces of chicken? Was the milk 4ozs or 16ozs? What my husband considers a serving of something is probably three times the amount of what I know is a serving. Eating better is all well and good for your health but for weight loss, strictly speaking, it's not about *what* you eat but how *much* you eat. If you are not losing its because you are wiping out any deficit you created. Bust out the measuring cups and food scale and keep a log of every single thing you put in your mouth (MFP is an excellent tool for this) make sure you're in deficit and you will lose.

Leslie Sansone DVDs are low impact and can be kind of a "build your own" type of workout. Right now I'm a fan of Mix and Match Walk Blasters. It's 10, 10 minute walks that you can put together anyway you'd like. Some very mellow walks, some a little more instense but all doable for every level. I have found walking has improved my core and therefore helped lower back issues. She's also really good about telling you to go at your own pace, etc. if there's something you're not comfortable with you just march in place until the next move.

The thing is to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit. How *much* of these things are you eating? How many actual servings did you have of oatmeal? How many ounces of chicken? Was the milk 4ozs or 16ozs? What my husband considers a serving of something is probably three times the amount of what I know is a serving. Eating better is all well and good for your health but for weight loss, strictly speaking, it's not about *what* you eat but how *much* you eat. If you are not losing its because you are wiping out any deficit you created. Bust out the measuring cups and food scale and keep a log of every single thing you put in your mouth (MFP is an excellent tool for this) make sure you're in deficit and you will lose.

-oatmeal was one serving according to the container
-pea soup was one bowl and i'm sure had at least one serving of veggies between the peas and carrots
-2 celery stalks and half of an average size cucumber. less than one serving size of dip according to the container because its 3 servings and i've been using it 5 times.
-one serving of cheese according to the package
-8oz of 1% milk as i put it in a measuring cup
-dinner is about the only thing i don't know everything about because 9 times out of 10 i'm not making it. the chicken was just cut up into bite size pieces and put into a pan to cook. the rice and sweat and sour packet is what came in the box. we added frozen asian veggies to the mix.
i had one plate full.

maybe i should be but i'm not all about counting calories.
all i know is that i don't eat an excessive amount of each item and what i'm putting in my body is not all just fried greasy foods.

my weight problems really all started in college.
you know about freshman 15?
well i was more like freshmen 25 in the first semester.

the only time i have ever lost weight was when i had hyperthyroiditis and my resting heart rate was 185.
after that settled down i ended up with hypothyriodism.
that was in 2007 and since then i have not been able to lose weight.
i have even been prescribed a weight loss medication that did nothing while the same pill helped my sister lose 30 pounds.

one of the reasons i started this exercise challenge was because my doctor swore to me that if i exercised daily for 4-6 weeks my bp would come down and i would lose weight.
i just had a follow up appointment and neither happened.

btw i'm not annoyed at your post i just felt like maybe i should give some background

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!