i'm starting a 100 day exercise challenge. anyone want to join me?

-oatmeal was one serving according to the container
-pea soup was one bowl and i'm sure had at least one serving of veggies between the peas and carrots
-2 celery stalks and half of an average size cucumber. less than one serving size of dip according to the container because its 3 servings and i've been using it 5 times.
-one serving of cheese according to the package
-8oz of 1% milk as i put it in a measuring cup
-dinner is about the only thing i don't know everything about because 9 times out of 10 i'm not making it. the chicken was just cut up into bite size pieces and put into a pan to cook. the rice and sweat and sour packet is what came in the box. we added frozen asian veggies to the mix.
i had one plate full.

maybe i should be but i'm not all about counting calories.
all i know is that i don't eat an excessive amount of each item and what i'm putting in my body is not all just fried greasy foods.

my weight problems really all started in college.
you know about freshman 15?
well i was more like freshmen 25 in the first semester.

the only time i have ever lost weight was when i had hyperthyroiditis and my resting heart rate was 185.
after that settled down i ended up with hypothyriodism.
that was in 2007 and since then i have not been able to lose weight.
i have even been prescribed a weight loss medication that did nothing while the same pill helped my sister lose 30 pounds.

one of the reasons i started this exercise challenge was because my doctor swore to me that if i exercised daily for 4-6 weeks my bp would come down and i would lose weight.
i just had a follow up appointment and neither happened.

btw i'm not annoyed at your post i just felt like maybe i should give some background
You don't have to count calories if that's not your thing but you should know what you're working with, kwim? Get a baseline of what you're eating and an idea of what an actual serving size is and go from there. Keeping a log of what you eat even if you're not counting calories will keep you mindful, account for what you might be forgetting and give you somewhere to start rather than just guessing. You said you didn't cut out the soda, that could be 100's of calories a week right there. A grabbed cookie here, a handful of nuts there that you might even think about all adds up. Thirty minutes of excercise a day is not a large burn and could be wiped out with one extra snack or soda. Even with a thyroid condition you still need a deficit to lose. Unfortunately that might mean more of a deficit than some with a normal thyroid and maybe more excercise. What I found for myself when I started wearing a Fitbit is that I moved far less than I thought I did, less than sedentary and I was working out 3-4 times a week. It was an eye opener for sure! Anyway, I hope you find the right balance for you and I wish you luck.

If you can try to stop eating the boxed food. making the chicken and veggies with your own homemade sauce is not going to take much more time and is so much healthier for you. Instead of the cheese try almonds or cashews to add variation.
Try tracking your calories on My Fitness Pal just to give you a guide of what your intake is, not just calories but carbs and protein also.

I've lost 16 lbs in the past 3 months, I work out at least 30 minutes 6 days a week but most days is closer to 60 minutes and I watch what I eat. I did completely give up soda but if I want a cookie or a bad for me snack I have it and then just move on.

You're off to a great start, keep up the good work

How rigorous is that walking dvd? I need to do something , but I have to be careful about my back and sciatica.

Leslie has several different walking exercise dvd's, but lots of them have the same exercises, so I've just settled on two 3 mile 45 min. ones. One is approved by the American Heart Association - the other is 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk (Power Walk). Portions of it can be used with/without light hand weights.

Cannot say if they are approved for your back/sciatica issues, but can say they have been right for me. I alternate them 3-5 times a week along with exercise outdoors - gardening, etc. They are both 'upright' sessions (no 'on the floor', or otherwise strenuous for active older people.)

Will say I started out slowly with her 1 & 2 mile Easy Walks which can be found on youtube. When I could do those easily, then I found the two mentioned above - did them on youtube, then ordered my own dvd's (sometimes they 'disappear' from youtube :() so I wanted my own.

Have been 'very' pleased with this 'routine' for muscle toning as well as weight loss. Also, I try to stay between 1,200 - 1,800 calories per day, but I do leave room for exceptions! :D Find, unfortunately, that I have to eat less calories at my age than I could doing the same things when I was 15 years younger to maintain the weight I wish. :upsidedow

so its been 50 days and i'm half way.

i figured i should give a progress (or a lack there of) report.

i have exercised every day for 30 minutes with the exception of day 48 because starting on day 40 i was losing motivation and wanted to quit all together so i needed a reboot day.

day 49 (yesterday) i got right back in the game.

after exercising yesterday i decided that i would make a walking route outside. i drove it and it was 2 miles.

today on day 50 i walked it.
it took 33 minutes so still right around the amount of time i wanted to exercise.

i think as long as the weather cooperates i will walk and on days that it doesn't or i can't go at the time i'd like to i'll just exercise inside like i had been doing.

i also started using a waist trimmer sweat belt in the last few days during my exercise.
don't worry its not a corest type and i'm not wearing it all da so its not crushing my ribs or making it hard to breath or making it so i can't eat or anything lol.

as i said this is a lack of progress report and that is because i have not lost any weight and while i feel like i have toned up a bit i have not actually lost any inches.

i will continue my challenge but it definitely seems more challenging now because i'm not seeing any results.

i'm curious as to how its going for everyone else.

Aww, don't be discouraged :flower3: I'm sure your metabolism is much higher than mine is at my age. Seems I have to work twice as hard now as I did at a younger age! :tilt:

For my first 6 mos. I kept my calories per day no more than 1,200. Even though I didn't always measure them, I knew from what I ate the approx. calories per meal. Didn't leave room for many extras until after that period. Doing that, plus the 'regimented' exercises 3-5 times a week let me lose 30 lbs. in that time length. Didn't even lose 'one measly pound' though until about week 6. :( Was determined though, and saw weight loss (and inches) every week after that (I still just weigh once a week - same morning).

I realize now that it is 'not' a diet for me, but a 'way' of life (with exceptions). Exercising, for me, is a must - eating less, alone, does not get it. They both work together.

So, just keep at it! Maybe just exercise more and cut out more of the 'empty' calories and you 'will' lose. I've learned to drink mostly water (add pure lemon juice part of the time). Good luck to you!! :flower:

Leslie has several different walking exercise dvd's, but lots of them have the same exercises, so I've just settled on two 3 mile 45 min. ones. One is approved by the American Heart Association - the other is 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk (Power Walk). Portions of it can be used with/without light hand weights.

Cannot say if they are approved for your back/sciatica issues, but can say they have been right for me. I alternate them 3-5 times a week along with exercise outdoors - gardening, etc. They are both 'upright' sessions (no 'on the floor', or otherwise strenuous for active older people.)

Will say I started out slowly with her 1 & 2 mile Easy Walks which can be found on youtube. When I could do those easily, then I found the two mentioned above - did them on youtube, then ordered my own dvd's (sometimes they 'disappear' from youtube :() so I wanted my own.

Have been 'very' pleased with this 'routine' for muscle toning as well as weight loss. Also, I try to stay between 1,200 - 1,800 calories per day, but I do leave room for exceptions! :D Find, unfortunately, that I have to eat less calories at my age than I could doing the same things when I was 15 years younger to maintain the weight I wish. :upsidedow
Thank You!

-oatmeal was one serving according to the container
-pea soup was one bowl and i'm sure had at least one serving of veggies between the peas and carrots
-2 celery stalks and half of an average size cucumber. less than one serving size of dip according to the container because its 3 servings and i've been using it 5 times.
-one serving of cheese according to the package
-8oz of 1% milk as i put it in a measuring cup
-dinner is about the only thing i don't know everything about because 9 times out of 10 i'm not making it. the chicken was just cut up into bite size pieces and put into a pan to cook. the rice and sweat and sour packet is what came in the box. we added frozen asian veggies to the mix.
i had one plate full.

maybe i should be but i'm not all about counting calories.
all i know is that i don't eat an excessive amount of each item and what i'm putting in my body is not all just fried greasy foods.

my weight problems really all started in college.
you know about freshman 15?
well i was more like freshmen 25 in the first semester.

the only time i have ever lost weight was when i had hyperthyroiditis and my resting heart rate was 185.
after that settled down i ended up with hypothyriodism.
that was in 2007 and since then i have not been able to lose weight.
i have even been prescribed a weight loss medication that did nothing while the same pill helped my sister lose 30 pounds.

one of the reasons i started this exercise challenge was because my doctor swore to me that if i exercised daily for 4-6 weeks my bp would come down and i would lose weight.
i just had a follow up appointment and neither happened.

btw i'm not annoyed at your post i just felt like maybe i should give some background

I know you said you didn't cook dinner, but I'm guessing it's Chicken Helper Sweet & Sour chicken. If so, that's probably not as healthy as you think. Processed foods are usually full of sugar and fats. It may be a little more time consuming, but it's really better to make stir fries from scratch, where you can control the ingredients that are in the sauce.

And was the oatmeal flavored and/or instant or was it something you cooked yourself? Did you add anything to it - fruit, brown sugar, etc.? All of that makes a difference. Because if you are truly eating healthy foods and moving more, you should be losing weight. I know that whenever I'm more aware of what I'm putting in my body (cut back fats, sugar, and carbs) and move more (walking mostly) I lose weight.

I would suggest going on a weight loss site which will show you how to lose weight. Our metabolisms slow down when we come out of our teens. I have no thyroid and realize that I can't eat what some people can eat. Cut out the soda entirely, drink fizzy water with lemon instead. As long as you are drinking soda don't be shocked that you aren't losing weight. Only eat one piece of fruit a day. Eat tons of greens, no oil or butter. Squeeze lime on broccoli, lemon on salads. Sweet and sour chicken means sugar. Have a chicken breast, no skin baked with no oil and put sugar free salsa on it. Eat a big leafy green salad with that. Drink water not milk. Also, at this stage you really need to count calories so you can see why you aren't losing weight. You will be surprised how fast they add up.

When you exercise make sure you are breaking into a good sweat for that 30 minutes. Walk hills to begin with. Push yourself hard. When what you are doing gets too easy, pick a new, harder exercise. Change it up constantly. If you fall off the wagon, get right back on again. Good luck and don't give up you just need to change what you are doing. It is not working for you now so it won't ever.

Oh and give up the dip with the veggies. It's full of fat.

I would suggest going on a weight loss site which will show you how to lose weight. Our metabolisms slow down when we come out of our teens. I have no thyroid and realize that I can't eat what some people can eat. Cut out the soda entirely, drink fizzy water with lemon instead. As long as you are drinking soda don't be shocked that you aren't losing weight. Only eat one piece of fruit a day. Eat tons of greens, no oil or butter. Squeeze lime on broccoli, lemon on salads. Sweet and sour chicken means sugar. Have a chicken breast, no skin baked with no oil and put sugar free salsa on it. Eat a big leafy green salad with that. Drink water not milk. Also, at this stage you really need to count calories so you can see why you aren't losing weight. You will be surprised how fast they add up.

When you exercise make sure you are breaking into a good sweat for that 30 minutes. Walk hills to begin with. Push yourself hard. When what you are doing gets too easy, pick a new, harder exercise. Change it up constantly. If you fall off the wagon, get right back on again. Good luck and don't give up you just need to change what you are doing. It is not working for you now so it won't ever.

Oh and give up the dip with the veggies. It's full of fat.

actually tzatziki is greek yogurt, little pieces of cucumber, and garlic so i don't see how thats all that unhealthy.

the thing is... over the years i have tried countless different exercises and it would appear that none of them work for me.
and after 2 days of walking i'm already getting shin splints.

when i push myself the hardest is when i give up the fastest so i don't think thats a good option for me.

i appreciate the response but i almost feel more defeated listening to people tell me what i'm doing "wrong". (just talking in general not completely directed at you or anything)

actually tzatziki is greek yogurt, little pieces of cucumber, and garlic so i don't see how thats all that unhealthy.

the thing is... over the years i have tried countless different exercises and it would appear that none of them work for me.

when i push myself the hardest is when i give up the fastest so i don't think thats a good option for me.

i appreciate the response but i almost feel more defeated listening to people tell me what i'm doing "wrong". (just talking in general not completely directed at you or anything)

People are trying to help you understand why you are not losing weight. You can't drink soda and lose weight. You can't eat fat and lose weight. You have to exercise hard to get results. That is the truth. Listen to people who have lost weight and have kept it off. No sense coddling an adult.

I would suggest seeing a dietician and a trainer at a gym. I had one for a long time and let me tell you, he let me know my excuses were just that and wouldn't have any of it. Truly, you have to work hard to achieve your goals. Or you can just give up and feel sorry for yourself but people who know how to work hard and keep off the weight are not going to join you in a pity party.

"Abs are made in the kitchen, fitness is made in the gym." This is 100% true statement. You do not have to excercise AT ALL to lose weight. You'll look better and feel better but weight loss comes from a calorie deficit which is much easier to obtain by eating less. It is a scientific fact and there's no way around it. It takes 500 cals less a day to lose one pound a week. This is why I and others are telling you to figure out what's going in so you can know how much to cut. We're not telling you you're wrong we're trying to help. Cut calories and you WILL lose weight. It really is that simple. No special diets, no crazy excercise routines just eating less will do it. To be blunt, if you are not losing you are eating too much.

People are trying to help you understand why you are not losing weight. You can't drink soda and lose weight. You can't eat fat and lose weight. You have to exercise hard to get results. That is the truth. Listen to people who have lost weight and have kept it off. No sense coddling an adult.

I would suggest seeing a dietician and a trainer at a gym. I had one for a long time and let me tell you, he let me know my excuses were just that and wouldn't have any of it. Truly, you have to work hard to achieve your goals. Or you can just give up and feel sorry for yourself but people who know how to work hard and keep off the weight are not going to join you in a pity party.
I'm with you on most but there's nothing wrong with fat or sugar and while I'm a big fan of excercise you do not need to kill yourself working out to lose weight. Telling someone they can't eat the things they love only scares them away, when all that is needed is to eat less of those things. (Unless you have a medical condition). Heart disease and diabetes runs rampant in my family yet I lost and maintained 69lbs for 4.5 years while eating healthy fats and dessert. Sometimes I exercise, sometimes I don't. My numbers are perfect across the board. I'm currently taking off 20lbs and I just had pizza for dinner, I just ate less. I'm 16 down from that 20. Cutting fat and sugar simply helps create a deficit which if it works for you is great but it's only necessary to create a deficit to lose weight. IMO (and experience) healthier choices will naturally come.

Oh, stop. For crying out loud. Don't be a baby about it, take the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, and use it to get what you want.

The bottom line is if you want to get from A to B you have to do XYZ. What you've been doing isn't working, so change it up. No one gets it right the first time, that's why there's food journals, discussion boards, etc.

what does everyone else eat on a daily basis?
how much weight did you lose thus far on this challenge?
how long each day do you exercise?
if i can hear something POSITIVE from others that will go a lot farther for me then hearing "change this change that do this don't do that"

you can attract a lot more flies with honey.

If you can try to stop eating the boxed food. making the chicken and veggies with your own homemade sauce is not going to take much more time and is so much healthier for you. Instead of the cheese try almonds or cashews to add variation.
Try tracking your calories on My Fitness Pal just to give you a guide of what your intake is, not just calories but carbs and protein also.

I've lost 16 lbs in the past 3 months, I work out at least 30 minutes 6 days a week but most days is closer to 60 minutes and I watch what I eat. I did completely give up soda but if I want a cookie or a bad for me snack I have it and then just move on.

You're off to a great start, keep up the good work

If you have something like a Vitamix homemade sauce is a snap. Also make your own salad dressing. The ones from the stores are loaded with sodium. The 30 minutes a day is a heart guide line. It does not have to be intense. A brisk walk is beneficial. What's brisk? You have a hard time talking.

if i can hear something POSITIVE from others that will go a lot farther for me then hearing "change this change that do this don't do that"

But no one here has anything vested in this. You do.

Don't take the advice you've been given and YOURE the one stuck, not them. You're the one trying to attract the flies. Brushing off everyone's advice isn't going to leave people wanting to continue to help.

That analogy only works when the person you're using it towards wants something for themselves. As a pp poster mentioned, people who have already gone through this don't tend to coddle. Everyone's an adult. You don't get to have advice only the way you want it.

I keep my calories at about 1500 a day. However, I know everyone says a calorie is a calorie, but that's not always true. Personally, I MUST balance my carbs and proteins or I don't lose at all. I tried so many diets before figuring this out. It was really frustrating and discouraging. See if you can get a copy of The Insulin Resistance Diet. I started this the beginning of March and have lost about 12 lbs.

I also find that I get a much better work out if I can be in the water. I hate getting sweaty and the water keeps me cooler.plus, it's not as boring. For days I can't do the pool, I bribe myself with books on Audible. I'm only allowed to listen to them on the Treadmill, bike etc. I don't work out everyday due to issues with pain and fatigue but I do what I can. I believe that something is better than nothing. I don't have to be perfect, I just have to make progress.

Reading through this I was about to suggest water aerobics, or swimming as a good exercise for you OP--that should not put stress on your shins, etc but still provide you with some good, and much needed exercise.

I find that it helps to build up--so now you are used to walking, keep the walk and add in the swim as well if at all possible.

I find I do better if I eat more of my calories in the morning or midday and fewest at night (which is hard since DH always wants a big dinner if he is here). I try to make my main, hot meal be lunch and have more of a salad (watch what you put on it! I stick to just lemon juice or vinegar and a bit of olive oil). I especially do try to have fewer carbs when I will not be exercising/moving shortly thereafter to burn them off.

As you get into better shape, if the layout of where you live allows for this at all--one thing I find helpful is that i walk or bike nearly everywhere for transportation---so I am killing two birds with one stone, getting some movement/exercise in while running errands that need doing anyway. But I think you are a ways from that if a 2 mile walk is causing shin splints right now.

Keep working on slowly building up your stamina so that you CAN do more, and try to watch the food intake better (I agree the chicken helper is probably a lot worse for you than you realize, and you might be eating too much--I think one box is meant to serve 4--not a plateful at all, more a quarter or third of a plate with a salad and other veggie filling the rest (plus , how big are your plates? I know it sounds silly, but just having smaller plates helps too--it LOOKS like more food when the same amount is on a smaller plate and those little tricks do wonders, the mind is a funny thing).

I track my calories and have lost ten pounds. I look at the calories on the packaging, AND the serving size - you'd be surprised - and track accordingly. You can't assume things are healthy - I went out for dinner and looked up the calories on the menu - the ribs were less calories than the salad. So I had the ribs!

Not all greek yogurts are created equally. Some have more sugar than others and thus more calories.

Exercise is at least 30 minutes but up to 45 minutes of walking aerobic activity each day.

Everyone here has the same advice: "Count Calories." If you refuse to count calories you won't get anywhere. That's not being negative - that's stating a fact.

I eat what ever I want keep my weekly calories below 10,000
Not on this challenge but am down 34 lbs averaging 2# per week 76# more to go.
No additional exercise

I'm a fat girl from birth and understand the struggle of losing and keeping it off. I also have the hypo thyroid and the fat ovaries and whatever else that I can blame this on. I went from a 24/26 to a 16/18/20 (depending on where I'm shopping) and I hated most of every minute of trying to change my ways. Now it's just a way of life because it has become ingrained.

I eat what I want. I like fat. I like sugar. I life carbs. I portion control in a big big way. For a while I did "go hungry" but I had to train my stomach and my body to reduce the craving for sugars and fats. Instead of a big cheeseburger from Five Guys I eat the small one and I will pick out maybe 20 fries from the smallest fry size and give my husband the rest or throw them away (talk about a waste!) If I want a soda with the burger, I get the smallest cup and reduce my fries even more. I only allow myself one soda and then switch to water.

Portion control is everything honestly. I read everything and try my best to break it down into smaller reasonable portions. I up my proteins first thing and slowly added in more veggies and fruits. Figure out what is filling to you. I don't like cucumbers (prefer triscuits or other veggies) so that's a big no for me and they are mostly water based so not much filling to keep me full. What kind of Greek yogurt are you eating? Make sure it's not loaded in sodium and think about how much of it you are eating. Basically 2TB is the serving size.
I'd rather eat small portion of pecans or almonds sometimes dusted in touch of sugar. One thing I ask myself often is am I eating or wanting to eat more because I'm hungry or because I'm emotional or because it will taste good. If I'm eating for any other reason than I'm hungry I will either own it or put it away and find something else to take my mind off whatever.

Regarding exercise, I still don't get the endorphin high that others get. I just don't. It's a freaking chore on my list and face it being a fat girl I don't feel that graceful or athletic even though I guess I am. I can kick some yoga *** and doing pretty good. In addition to walking, I would look into a stretching resistance band. This has been what really helped me. I keep the band on the couch taunting me to keep using it. Frankly instead of on the dis or other time wasters, I put the laptop away and start stretching with the band. It doesn't hurt and doesn't take anything besides me and the band. It has helped tighten my muscles and gives me a stretch my old lady parts need. You can sit on the couch and stretch with it as well and I have while watching tv.

I wrote all this to say I understand the challenge and it sucks. I have to pay attention to everything I put in my mouth and really take time to read labels and own if I'm eating to just be eating.

I empathize with you on what a pain in the butt this health change can be and wish you luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter