Impacted canine surgery

Lis23

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with their teen having impacted canine teeth. My son was told he needed surgery to have them exposed and then braces. I just want some input on the matter. Anything would be helpful. Thank you!

I think I had something like this when I was a kid- it was when I had braces so I must have been 11 or 12. Dr. attached a tiny chain to the impacted tooth, with a link at the other end looped thru the wire of my braces. It gradually pulled my tooth in the correct direction and at my regular visits the orthodontist would pull the loosened chain down another link. I was under for he surgery; aside from that I don't remember it being painful at all.

I think I had something like this when I was a kid- it was when I had braces so I must have been 11 or 12. Dr. attached a tiny chain to the impacted tooth, with a link at the other end looped thru the wire of my braces. It gradually pulled my tooth in the correct direction and at my regular visits the orthodontist would pull the loosened chain down another link. I was under for he surgery; aside from that I don't remember it being painful at all.
Omg thank you! That's exactly what they're saying they're going to do. Leave a chain and and go back and put braces on to link them together. Was eating hard for you? How long did you have braces for?

I was wondering what part of the dog was impacted.

Now that I read the post, I hope everything goes well for your son.

My 13 year old son just had this surgery done September 1st. On July 25, he had 4 braces applied to his top front teeth and then just brackets on the other teeth. Then we went to the oral surgeon. He was put under conscious sedation with an IV. They pulled two baby teeth and then exposed the impacted canines and attached the chains which then were loosely attached to the braces. It surprised me, honestly, how far back the canines were in his mouth; they put two holes in the roof of his mouth to expose them. He had a lot of pain. He hurt for 9 days and missed 3 days of school (we had it done on a Friday, so we figured the weekend plus Labor Day that Monday would be enough recovery, but it wasn't). The oral surgeon said in his 16 years of experience, he's never had anyone with pain beyond the first few days, so I don't know. He did require a second narcotic prescription to get through it. It was hard seeing him suffer. Now he is doing well and on the 19th we returned to the orthodontist and they are starting to tighten the chains. He had some mild discomfort but not too bad. Hope this helps!

My 13 year old son just had this surgery done September 1st. On July 25, he had 4 braces applied to his top front teeth and then just brackets on the other teeth. Then we went to the oral surgeon. He was put under conscious sedation with an IV. They pulled two baby teeth and then exposed the impacted canines and attached the chains which then were loosely attached to the braces. It surprised me, honestly, how far back the canines were in his mouth; they put two holes in the roof of his mouth to expose them. He had a lot of pain. He hurt for 9 days and missed 3 days of school (we had it done on a Friday, so we figured the weekend plus Labor Day that Monday would be enough recovery, but it wasn't). The oral surgeon said in his 16 years of experience, he's never had anyone with pain beyond the first few days, so I don't know. He did require a second narcotic prescription to get through it. It was hard seeing him suffer. Now he is doing well and on the 19th we returned to the orthodontist and they are starting to tighten the chains. He had some mild discomfort but not too bad. Hope this helps!
Omg! My son had this done on Friday but he did fine. of course he couldn't eat and still has trouble eating because of his chains that are in his mouth. I'm sorry your son didn't do so well. My son is scheduled to get braces on the 25th of October. Has your son had the spacers? How did that go? Seriously this very stressful To see your child go through this.

I have one question. Sorry I just need all the info I could get. Why didn't they put full braces on? I'm wondering if the could do that to my son. It sounds like very similar cases

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter