Imperial Cities Trip Feedback

Didney Daddy

Owner Beach Club Villas and SSR
We just got back from the Imperial Cities advernture the last week of June. The trip was fantastic and the guides (Alex and Kim) made the whole experience magical.

Our favorite parts were the Danube River Cruise, the tour of Salzburg where the local expert was great (not to mention the Strudel!), seeing the panda's at the Austrian zoo (had to have been a Disney magical moment) and the company of a lot of really nice people.

We would recommend this trip to all families. It is a nice combination of activity and time on your own and there are sprinkles of pixie dust throughout.

Did you go with children? What were their ages? This was one of the trips that I really considered!

We have one daughter, she is twelve years old. There were children ranging from 5 to 17 on the trip and they all got along wonderfully. I cannot express to you how good the guides are at working with children and groups. There are plenty of "children" only adventures and you feel completely comfortable with where they are and who is caring for them.

This is a great trip!

We are going in August. I was wondering about a salt mine tour during our free time in Salzburg. Any info on this? The one I was interested in is an hours drive from Salzburg and was wondering if any of your tour group did something like this. Were the long bus trips OK?

I take it that you are referring to the salt mines in the BGL region of Germany - Bad Reichenhall and Berchtesgaden. Having lived in that area I can tell you that the first is more of an educational visit, the second more of a tourist/fun visit

Bad Reichenhall is a spa town for breathing difficulties, and has a higher ratio of older guests. Therefore it is more of a 'quiet' town. Berchtesgaden is more tourist oriented ie to the overseas visitor. The Konigssee outside of town is also worth a visit. If you are only considering one, I would recommend Berchtesgaden

Both are an easy drive from Salzburg, using two different routes. It is also possible to circle from Salzburg to Bad Reichenhall to Berchtesgaden back to Salzburg, but I assume that you are considering a guided tour there and back? bus service and train service are possible if you are comfortable with that as well

Actually, we only have one afternoon free in Salzburg. My original intentions were to travel to Halstatt to see that salt mine, but I understand it is an hour by private car, 2 hrs to visit the site and then another hours to return. I was wondering how Halstatt compared to the other two. Is it worth the frenetic trip??

I suppose that it depends on what you will see as part of the tour in the Salzburg area. I am partial to the city and environs as I have been there so often. On my list of places to see would be the fortress, the new Mozart exhibit, walking around the old parts of the city, Hellbrunn, St Peter's cemetery, the market, eating a pretzel in the cathedral square, the town of Mondsee (the church is in the wedding scene in Sound of Music film) and the lake... I could go on and on.

Even though I have been there thousands of times (it was a 15 minute drive or train trip after work) I just enjoy wandering the city.

If you have a special interest in the salt mines, and if the tour covers the area thoroughly and allows you enough free time to enjoy it then I would say that the mine and the town/lake scenery is worth it. For me, personally, no, but only you can say.

Our tour covers most of the places that you have mentioned. I just thought the salt mine tour would be interesting for a 10 yr old. I know she would like it better than an afternoon of shopping, more museums, concerts (we are already going to two!)

Are there chances on this tour to catch a concert? I'm not so much interested in Mozart as I would in hearing a concert of some later music - Dvorak, Smetana, Mahler, Brahms... something more along those lines. Is there free time to catch one of those in Vienna or Prauge?

Are there chances on this tour to catch a concert? I'm not so much interested in Mozart as I would in hearing a concert of some later music - Dvorak, Smetana, Mahler, Brahms... something more along those lines. Is there free time to catch one of those in Vienna or Prauge?

You'll have one free night in Vienna (Day 3) from around 3-4pm. You're free in Salzburg on Day 5 from around 3pm on. Some of our group went to a concert, others saw the Sound of Music show. There is no free evening in Prague. The first night is dinner at the hotel (which you can skip if you'd like, but I don't pass up food I've paid for, especially when there are five of us -- too frugal!), and the second night there is the Farewell Dinner.

I highly recommend adding a night on the end of this trip. Prague is breathtakingly beautiful, and we wouldn't have had a chance to see as much as we did without that extra full day. You do have about five hours on the last full day to explore on your own, however, if you're not staying. It's just a little bit rushed. Since you get in so late on Day 6, you really only have one full day in the city.

If you can, somehow make time to visit Saint Vitus Cathedral. You'll be in the area at the beginning of the walking tour, but there isn't time allowed to go inside due to the morning crowds. Later in the day, some of our group walked in without a wait, and when we visited on our extra day, there was only about a 15 minute wait outside.

It's high on a hill -- a taxi is recommended, but the fares are very reasonable. AAA Taxi is one of the reputable companies, and concierge will arrange for one to pick you up. If you use the Marriott cars, as lovely and clean as they are, they'll cost you at least double.

I'm working on my trip report, but it's been a little insane since returning home!

Dotti

Salzburg is by itself worth every minute you can spend in it. I am sure the salt mines are interesting but the schedule is so packed and the precious free time you have is best spent exploring the city.

Bavaria accurately mentions the highlights so no need to repeat.

As for Prague, it is indeed worth extending if you can. The crowds are maddening this time of the year because of the weakness of the Czech crown so Prague is teeming with Europeans and Americans looking for the best bang for their buck.

Prague is an architectual masterpiece and if that is your cup of tea. If it is not, the crowds do have the potential to dampen some of your enthusiam for the city in the summer.

Thanks for the info, WDWSOS and Didney Daddy. I have heard many other people rave about how lovely Prague is and a few people who say it is their absolute favorite city in Europe. I would certainly want a little more time in Prague so the extra day is a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!