Impresions from an American's day trip to DLP from Paris

pixiedustedme

Planning is half the fun
1. If you're daytripping to DLP from Paris as part of a Paris vacation, the train is the best way to get there. No traffic to delay you, and you get to set your own schedule for arrival and departure. You'll take the RER A train to Disneyland.

2. We pre-purchased the Ultimate FP package that gave one-time access to each of the major rides, and that was the right decision. It allowed us to hit every major ride when we wanted to ride it with a very short wait, and spend the rest of the time focusing on non-FP rides. We wouldn't have been able to ride half of what we did without the pre-purchased FPs, as it was a fairly busy day.

3. Disneyland Paris gets a bum rap for being poorly kept imo. It was as clean as every other Disney park we've been to.

4. Disneyland Paris gets a bum rap for having rude guests imo. Guest behavior was no better or worse than in other Disney parks we've been to. I saw one line cut, but it was a family joining one person in line. Annoying, but I've seen that stateside, too, and it only happened during one of our ride waits.

5. I agree that the customer service is lacking in comparison with the American parks. The attitude is more indifferent, and CMs could be curt to guests in a way you'd never experience in an American park.

6. I didn't find smoking to be out of control. Granted, I don't suffer from asthma so I'm not very sensitive to it, but the only time I noticed smoke, I also noticed a "Smoking Area" sign. I noticed that this area wasn't particularly remote, so DLP could do more to better place the smoking areas perhaps, but in no way were we subjected to secondhand smoke regularly throughout the day. No one smoked in lines, shops, restaurants, or other main gathering areas in our experience.

7. The castle and landscaping were lovely. Disneyland is a lovely park here, just as in America. No disappointment at all in that park.

8. The Studios did seem to be a poorly planned park, and we only stayed long enough to do our Fast Pass rides here and then leave. I cannot imagine wanting to spend a whole day at the Studios.

9. There was a nice midday parade, but no nighttime fireworks. At WDW they always have fireworks, so this was a noticeable difference.

10. I agree with other reviews I've read disparaging the dining options at DLP. It was definitely poor quality, in terms of both the food itself and the service at the restaurants. At Chez Remy they accidentally had us waiting for 30 minutes after check-in due to the CM-in-training's error- oops. No real apology from them for wasting our park time. Do you think after all that they'd be nice & let a party of 2 sit at one of the cool booths with the oversized plates? Nope. Those are for parties of 4 only. Who cares that they messed up the reservation you made 2 months in advance and wasted your park time, or that an empty booth is sitting there vacant? As a measly party of 2, you're still not entitled to such a cool table. Who do you think you are, a valued customer? Get over yourself... We left and ended up having lunch at Casey's, which had a nice ambiance but poor food. We also stopped by Gibson Girl for ice cream, but were disappointed that the only ice cream offered is Ben & Jerry"s. No chocolate mint or plain strawberry available, just concoctions like "cookie dough" and "strawberry with cheesecake". That was quite surprising, as that mod type of ice cream is so counter to the Gibson-era theming. Who would have thought DLP could mess up an ice cream parlor? But they did.

11. In the midst of a broader European vacation, one day at DLP was ample for us, given that we had pre-purchased FPs. It was very nice, but no nicer than other things we've made a priority to do in Europe.

Last edited:
No fireworks? Was it cancelled or not scheduled? The last one is extremely rare, normally it's scheduled every day. Cancellations happen from time to time, usually due to the wind. I am 6 hours away from Paris, and it has been windy the last few weeks.

I was there for a first visit a few weeks ago, and I agree with almost everything you said. But there were nighttime fireworks when I was there, and we loved them! They were much better than I was expecting based on reviews on here. I especially loved that they incorporated water jets in front of/next to the castle.

No fireworks? Was it cancelled or not scheduled? The last one is extremely rare, normally it's scheduled every day. Cancellations happen from time to time, usually due to the wind. I am 6 hours away from Paris, and it has been windy the last few weeks.
I don't know. We were more focused on touring so we didn't really miss them, but their absence was noticeable. We spent the last few hours of park time in Fantasyland, so we know for sure they didn't occur, but we didn't ask why. I assumed it was because it was a Wednesday and the park closed at 8pm (still daylight in May). But since you say there are typically fireworks, I suppose there must have been another reason.

1. If you're daytripping to DLP from Paris as part of a Paris vacation, the train is the best way to get there. No traffic to delay you, and you get to set your own schedule for arrival and departure. You'll take the RER A train to Disneyland.

2. We pre-purchased the Ultimate FP package that gave one-time access to each of the major rides, and that was the right decision. It allowed us to hit every major ride when we wanted to ride it with a very short wait, and spend the rest of the time focusing on non-FP rides. We wouldn't have been able to ride half of what we did without the pre-purchased FPs, as it was a fairly busy day.

3. Disneyland Paris gets a bum rap for being poorly kept imo. It was as clean as every other Disney park we've been to.

4. Disneyland Paris gets a bum rap for having rude guests imo. Guest behavior was no better or worse than in other Disney parks we've been to. I saw one line cut, but it was a family joining one person in line. Annoying, but I've seen that stateside, too, and it only happened during one of our ride waits.

5. I agree that the customer service is lacking in comparison with the American parks. The attitude is more indifferent, and CMs could be curt to guests in a way you'd never experience in an American park.

6. I didn't find smoking to be out of control. Granted, I don't suffer from asthma so I'm not very sensitive to it, but the only time I noticed smoke, I also noticed a "Smoking Area" sign. I noticed that this area wasn't particularly remote, so DLP could do more to better place the smoking areas perhaps, but in no way were we subjected to secondhand smoke regularly throughout the day. No one smoked in lines, shops, restaurants, or other main gathering areas in our experience.

7. The castle and landscaping were lovely. Disneyland is a lovely park here, just as in America. No disappointment at all in that park.

8. The Studios did seem to be a poorly planned park, and we only stayed long enough to do our Fast Pass rides here and then leave. I cannot imagine wanting to spend a whole day at the Studios.

9. There was a nice midday parade, but no nighttime fireworks. At WDW they always have fireworks, so this was a noticeable difference.

10. I agree with other reviews I've read disparaging the dining options at DLP. It was definitely poor quality, in terms of both the food itself and the service at the restaurants. At Chez Remy they accidentally had us waiting for 30 minutes after check-in due to the CM-in-training's error- oops. No real apology from them for wasting our park time. Do you think after all that they'd be nice & let a party of 2 sit at one of the cool booths with the oversized plates? Nope. Those are for parties of 4 only. Who cares that they messed up the reservation you made 2 months in advance and wasted your park time, or that an empty booth is sitting there vacant? As a measly party of 2, you're still not entitled to such a cool table. Who do you think you are, a valued customer? Get over yourself... We left and ended up having lunch at Casey's, which had a nice ambiance but poor food. We also stopped by Gibson Girl for ice cream, but were disappointed that the only ice cream offered is Ben & Jerry"s. No chocolate mint or plain strawberry available, just concoctions like "cookie dough" and "strawberry with cheesecake". That was quite surprising, as that mod type of ice cream is so counter to the Gibson-era theming. Who would have thought DLP could mess up an ice cream parlor? But they did.

11. In the midst of a broader European vacation, one day at DLP was ample for us, given that we had pre-purchased FPs. It was very nice, but no nicer than other things we've made a priority to do in Europe.

Question - How do you "pre purchase" Fast passes??? Is there a website? App? :confused3

T.T.F.N.

Thanks for posting your experience OP! We are in Paris the last week of July and are going to purchase the FastPass package. Our schedule will have two days in the parks but staying in the city and we want to do as much as possible so it will be a big help.

Fantasyland may have closed at 8pm (it closes early to prepare for Illuminations) but Disneyland Park would've been open until 10 or 11pm in May. Illuminations is shown then, every night at park closing. There've been no cancellations recently or we would have heard 😊

Fantasyland may have closed at 8pm (it closes early to prepare for Illuminations) but Disneyland Park would've been open until 10 or 11pm in May. Illuminations is shown then, every night at park closing. There've been no cancellations recently or we would have heard 😊
No, Disneyland Park itself closed at 8pm. This was on a Wednesday. I know what the opening & closing hours were (10am - 8pm), as they were listed when buying that ticket type. There are 3 ticket price categories for a single day ticket, and which one you pay is based on the date you plan to attend. The hours for those dates are listed on that calendar. Also, I double-checked the hours online the day of.

At the park, we stayed past closing a little to shop, and saw the shops & restaurants on Main Street progressively closing down, as well as the heavy end-of-day stream of visitors leaving the park. It was closed.

Last edited:
No, Disneyland Park itself closed at 8pm. This was on a Wednesday. I know what the opening & closing hours were (10am - 8pm), as they were listed when buying that ticket type. There are 3 ticket price categories for a single day ticket, and which one you pay is based on the date you plan to attend. The hours for those dates are listed on that calendar. Also, I double-checked the hours online the day of.

At the park, we stayed past closing a little to shop, and saw the shops & restaurants on Main Street progressively closing down, as well as the heavy end-of-day stream of visitors leaving the park. It was closed.

I'm afraid you're simply incorrect. As the archived park hours show for May 2019 the Disneyland Park did not close at 8pm any night, and also ticket prices have nothing to do with opening hours. Perhaps you were mistaken and left earlier which is too bad. The daily Illuminations show at park close is absolutely incredible!

(Archived park hours can be viewed on DLPguide (.) com)

I'm afraid you're simply incorrect. As the archived park hours show for May 2019 the Disneyland Park did not close at 8pm any night, and also ticket prices have nothing to do with opening hours. Perhaps you were mistaken and left earlier which is too bad. The daily Illuminations show at park close is absolutely incredible!

(Archived park hours can be viewed on DLPguide (.) com)

What good does this message do to tell her she was wrong and on top of that to tell her she missed out on something incredible? Are you on purpose trying to ruin the memories someone has about her trip? There is no reason to point this out.

What good does this message do to tell her she was wrong and on top of that to tell her she missed out on something incredible? Are you on purpose trying to ruin the memories someone has about her trip? There is no reason to point this out.
The point is to reassure American first time visitors that their ARE brilliant daily fireworks in DLP as in other Disney parks, and that the park does not close at 8pm in May. As the original poster said, she had a great trip regardless so I don't see how that ruins memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter