• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In general, how does DVC work?

Excie

Earning My Ears
I am not a DVC member but am trying to check into it a bit. So far I am a little confused! I have a trip scheduled to HH in oct with a tour and meeting with a DVC rep, so I'm sure I'll get all the details then. I'm trying to get alittle information before hand so I don' go in totaly in the dark.

It seems that DVC requires an inital investment based on the number of points you want per year. I think I read that the minimum amount currently is around 11k. I guess you can pay this or finance it. Then, based on the property you pick you pay annual maintenance fees based on the number of points you have. These fees can be paid all at once in January or paid monthly thru the year.

Is this basically how it works? Please correct me if I have it wrong. Also, what number of points works for most people? We are a family of 3 that would probably vacation at Disney once or twice a year. Should I invesitgate resales or is going directly thru Disney the best bet. Are the WDW properties maintenance fees much higher than Vero Beach or HH? Does home reosrt really matter all that much since you can book anywhere just a few moths later?

Thank you for any information and advice!

You have the general idea right. However, buy where you plan to stay, as the resorts sell out the seven month booking window becomes more difficult to use, and the 11 month booking advantage becomes more important.

Resales are somewhat cheaper, probably a couple of dollars per point, but you will have to pay closing costs. With a direst purchase, Disney pays the closing costs, and they will even do the financing for you.

As far as the number of points, you may want to play with the online point calcultor here on the DIS boards to find out your needs. I have 550 points, as I want a 2 BR. for 10 days in Magic season plus 4 days in a studio in Premier season and I want to go every year. I split My points between BWV and VWL, between banking and alternating years betwen the 2 resorts, it works for us. Most people seem to have around 200, but they always seem to want more. I don't wnat or need any more.

There is a FAQs post at the top of the DVC discussion boards page which can be of help to you too.

I think DVCDave answered most of your questions. As far as maintenance, I understand that HHI is the cheapest. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know this has been discussed before, and you can get those numbers from your rep.

We started with 250 points for a family of four, and I think we need a little more. I assumed that I could only go to Disney so often. Well, after our first two trips with DVC, I'm so hooked. It's not at all like "a trip to Disney." Staying in the resorts is an experience by itself, without the theme park visits. We've decided to go to WDW frequently and we'll go to theme parks on some trips and won't go on others. The resorts are the vacation destinations, so you'll look at your use of them differently once you start using your points. Remember that you can always buy more points later, and I think you can do that starting with 50 points, so you don't have that whole, big investment again.

I also agree with DVCDave...buy where you intend to stay the most. This advise becomes more important if you tend to vacation during "busy" seasons.

We purchased the minimum number of points when we joined (150). We think it is enough for us now, since my wife is a school teacher and can only go during school breaks.

There are a couple of things that sold us on joining DVC. One was the fact that you are "forced" to take a vacation every three years. The other was the Disney name and the flexiblility of the plan. You can use your points at most Disney resorts and also exchange out to locations around the world.

We just returned from the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, using our points, and it was wonderful. I don't think we would have done this if we hadn't joined DVC.

This board is a wealth of information. Ask any questions you want!

Be sure to familiarze yourself with all the DVC properties, so you know what you will want. VWL and BWV and the coming BVC are all hotel type settings within walking distance to one or two theme parks. OKW is a vill style townhouse vacation home setting that is "farther out", so it is quieter and more homey. These will all be deciding factors as well as cost and maintanance. You need to decide where you will want to stay most often, since that will be the resort you will have the 11 month booking window for. FYI, OKW takes fewer points because it is older.

I would strongly advise getting your guide to send you an information package with current point charts. You need to look at all the resorts available and decide how many points you will need to achieve the number of vacations and the type of accomodations you prefer. You can have 3 years worth of points for use in one year if you bank a year and borrow a year to add to your annual allotment. For example I have 240 points so I could use 720 points in one year if I banked and borrowed. You need to look at the charts and figure out how much you want to spend and then see if this amount of points will get you the type of room at the times of year you desire. If you just guess at how many points you need you may be disappointed. For example I can't take a cruise without banking or borrowing, and if I do this I can't go every year with my allotment of points. DVC is a great value if you stay at DVC resorts, it is less of a value if you use non-Disney resorts. For example I could rent a studio at Vero BEach or Old Key WEst for 2 weeks for the same number of points it would take to go outside the system and reserve a room at the Claremont resort in California for 5 days. Do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Hope this helped.

caverill,

I know this is a little off topic for this post, but tell me about the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. If you want, e-mail me directly.

TIG;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter