In-laws at Walt Disney World

Can you send the lids to them for a week this summer instead?

We brought my inlaws 2 years ago. It was a lot grader than going with my parents.

I could get my DD to go but I don't think DS would do it. Maybe if I told him just how much junk food he would get to eat... :sick:

This is a good idea. I get the feeling from your posts that you just want to vacation with your family, and not your husband's. That's not fair. Now, Disney may not be the place for your IL's, but maybe they feel like they have no real choice, as that's where you go. Maybe you should sit down with them and work out a nice vacation for your family and theirs to go on together--whether or not it's to WDW.

Why is it a requirement to vacation with both families? The OP has stated they go and are their inlaws multiple times throughout the year and their inlaws have come to them as well. It's not like they don't see them.

Life's not fair. The OP and her kids don't need to be miserable at Disney just so it's 'fair.' I guess I'm in the minority on this.

RachaelA said:
Why is it a requirement to vacation with both families? The OP has stated they go and are their inlaws multiple times throughout the year and their inlaws have come to them as well. It's not like they don't see them.

Life's not fair. The OP and her kids don't need to be miserable at Disney just so it's 'fair.' I guess I'm in the minority on this.

I'm with you sister

You're not in the minority. A lot of us agree with you.

My parents are 15 years older than DH's parents. There are a lot of things DH's parents can do with my kids that mine can't. On the other hand, my parents have more money than DH's parents so there are things they can do with my kids that his parents can't. Nothing "fair" about it, simply two families in very different circumstances.

If they decided they wanted to somehow compete in each other's stuff (thankfully they don't,) that doesn't mean I'd have to allow it.

Time together is one thing, the activities you do with those times are another.

I think that it's good that OP gave it a chance and tried a trip with them, I agree that's only fair, but that's now done and it didn't go well. The in-laws need to get over it.

I think that it's good that OP gave it a chance and tried a trip with them, I agree that's only fair, but that's now done and it didn't go well. The in-laws need to get over it.

:thumbsup2 I think this is the biggest part of all. The OP was already the bigger person and truly tried to vacation with her inlaws. I didn't work. If they want to make it a competition with the OP's family, then that's on them and the OP does not need to engage them.

sweetcreams said:
Thanks eerybody! My husband does know how I feel, and he pretty much feels the same way (he gets even more annoyed than me sometimes!), but he doesn't think we can ask them not to come. We did tell them that we were going to be doing the parks at a quick pace, and we don't stop for meals and snacks constantly, so they knew that going into it, but they are not independent AT ALL...they couldn't even find their way around the hotel by themselves, much less on Disney transportation. :drive: I do believe that they want to visit with the kids (though DS couldn't really care less), so maybe I will be able to get DH to take them for a long visit during Christmas break this year instead of them coming along. I really appreciate the comments, suggestions, and commiserating!

I feel your pain, except my dh knows the problems of traveling with his family, yet just can't say no to extended disney vacation with everyone.

Inlaws are the SAME way and dh just keeps saying, everyone can do what they want, we're not changing our plans, but I know this means they'll just follow us, complaining and getting crabby so we'll adjust our plans automatically and I'll be mad!

Good luck!

I feel your pain, except my dh knows the problems of traveling with his family, yet just can't say no to extended disney vacation with everyone.

Inlaws are the SAME way and dh just keeps saying, everyone can do what they want, we're not changing our plans, but I know this means they'll just follow us, complaining and getting crabby so we'll adjust our plans automatically and I'll be mad!

Good luck!

That's what my husband says too! And the same thing happens! He will actually book it through the park with his dad trying to keep up because he says "I told them we were going to to be moving quickly." I'm the one hanging behind with FIL trying to feed him granola bars so he won't pass out. It's really nutso! :confused3

I don't think it's a requirement to go with both families. We only have the OP's "side" to this--the IL's may just want more time with their grandkids, or are feeling left out because their son's family does this every year with the "other grandparents". What I think really needs to happen is for the OP and her DH to sit down and have an honest conversation with the ILs about what they expect to get out of the trip. That would be a great time to point out that they didn't seem to enjoy the last WDW trip, didn't like the food, didn't like the pace, whatever. Perhaps there's a compromise--go somewhere else, rent a house off-site where the IL's can chil while the OP goes to the parks, something.

Believe me, I totally get not wanting to vacation with the IL's. I have an overbearing MIL, and vacations with her have been legendary--and not in a good way. But here's the thing--she's still my kids' grandmother. Now, she's the only living grandparent they have. She's 82 and frail and no longer able to travel. She needs my respect and kindness. When she goes, I want my children to remember her fondly, and to recall good times with her. I have to make that happen, even if I'm gritting my teeth. So really, I'm just trying to help the OP take a longer view of the situation.

I don't think it's a requirement to go with both families. We only have the OP's "side" to this--the IL's may just want more time with their grandkids, or are feeling left out because their son's family does this every year with the "other grandparents". What I think really needs to happen is for the OP and her DH to sit down and have an honest conversation with the ILs about what they expect to get out of the trip. That would be a great time to point out that they didn't seem to enjoy the last WDW trip, didn't like the food, didn't like the pace, whatever. Perhaps there's a compromise--go somewhere else, rent a house off-site where the IL's can chil while the OP goes to the parks, something.

Believe me, I totally get not wanting to vacation with the IL's. I have an overbearing MIL, and vacations with her have been legendary--and not in a good way. But here's the thing--she's still my kids' grandmother. Now, she's the only living grandparent they have. She's 82 and frail and no longer able to travel. She needs my respect and kindness. When she goes, I want my children to remember her fondly, and to recall good times with her. I have to make that happen, even if I'm gritting my teeth. So really, I'm just trying to help the OP take a longer view of the situation.

Love your approach to this.:)

:thumbsup2

I think it’s always easier to understand your own family vs the in laws because you grew up with your own family.

We went with both my parents and inlaws. We had a great time. No, it wasn’t perfect and we had to make allowances for everyone but it gave our children very precious time with their grandparents and taught them a lot about getting along and making allowances.

My Mom always taught me to remember that I would be a mother in law someday so to be kind and respectful, open and honest. I personally would talk with them and just say that you understand they have some mobility issues and that this trip is busy but is there something else you could all do together that would be enjoyable. And hopefully your children do care about the grandparents because, well, they just should!! Just my humble opinion.

I love all my family together.....the slow ones, fast ones, cranky ones, happy ones. It makes for great stories down the road!

Good luck no matter what your decision.

Zombie thread!!!! The thought of having to do ANYTHING with my MIL makes me break out in hives though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts