In need of transportation help with flying

Are you going to spend the week in Paris for medical reasons? Or is that a decompress tourist only type of stay? If it’s a tourist stay I’d suggest either the left bank, near St. Germaine or the Opera district. They are very central, and easy to get to anywhere from the Metro stations there. I once stayed in an apartment on the Ile de Citi, across from the Notre Dame Cathedral. There were Metro stations all around, and great gelato down the street.

For apartments I’ve had luck with Paris Attitude and VRBO. Both times it was better than the pictures. I haven’t used Airbnb there, but I hear it’s a good option. Do tell them you are coming in early. I’ve found that if they know you will be in early they may be able to accommodate you when you get there. If not, it is really worth booking the night before you arrive so it will be available.

As for Disney, it may be cheaper and easier to get the apartment/house for the week, and spend one night at the Disney Resort if that is where you are headed for a few days. That said, I find the train ride back to Paris to be easy. At that point the train is more like the Metro, and you can find a stop within walking distance of where you are staying. And you may find that the parks are more of a one day thing.

As for flying, I wouldn’t be married to the US carriers, find the flight on whatever airline fits your time and budget. If you can swing business you can easily sleep on the way over.

I find Paris to be wonderful, and the people, especially those outside Paris, are very, very friendly. Try to learn as many phrases as you can, and they bring out the smiles when they see you are trying to speak their language.

Your insurance is not going to cover any procedure in France.
You don't know that. Our orthopedic surgeon has had insurance companies cover procedures like this numerous times. It's a different procedure where we pay out of pocket completely up front and then get re-imbursed.

It's very possible they may not cover it, but it's very possible they may. They are already requesting a detailed letter as to why she needs to go to France, so that sounds like it might be very promising.

You don't know that. Our orthopedic surgeon has had insurance companies cover procedures like this numerous times. It's a different procedure where we pay out of pocket completely up front and then get re-imbursed.

It's very possible they may not cover it, but it's very possible they may. They are already requesting a detailed letter as to why she needs to go to France, so that sounds like it might be very promising.

Not to mention it's likely scads cheaper than the equivalent in the states. 30k barely gets you anesthetic and an operating room in the US. A friend from Europe had emergency surgery here and was stunned at the extent of the bills that streamed in. Thankfully he was covered under his work's travel insurance (he was here on business) but the bills came to him before he sent them alone.

(Not to mention that the US jumps to surgery when European doctors try heavy antibiotics first and have great luck with that for appendicitis. So if he'd been home he likely wouldn't have even had surgery)

I use ATMs in Europe to get cash. I have a checking account that does not charge fees for foreign ATM transactions, and they are supposed to give a good exchange rate.

It sounds like a major undertaking for you, hope all goes well.

We went to Europe back in April. We found out about the trip last July. I started stalking air fares. Most were around the $1200 range (RT). That was from our small airport. I used Google Flights. It allows you to search nearby airports too on the same screen. I think it was the week before Thanksgiving, Delta had a sale. RT from our airport to Barcelona for <$500. I notified the other families we were travelling with, one was able to take advantage, the other wasn't. Prices never got that low.

I suggest using google flights and checking multiple times a week if not daily.

Thanks so much to all of you. Got our passport photos today, passport appointment at the Post Office on Saturday. I admit, me and my husband kinda had fun getting the photos. Laughing at ourselves and all. Gotta get my teenagers done tomorrow and my adult child is getting hers next Tuesday with her boyfriend.

As for Disney, it may be cheaper and easier to get the apartment/house for the week, and spend one night at the Disney Resort if that is where you are headed for a few days.

Seriously thinking of doing this for one night. Just love the look of the Santa Fe resort I think.

What does it mean when it says it is a Delta flight but operated by Air France? I am not so sure about Air France? I find myself just wanting to stick with the airlines that are American based.

From researching Google Flights, Delta and Air France are the only two that will offer a non stop flight. And that is a requirement for my husband. So I guess in a way, the airline decision is pretty much made, I guess. Delta/Air France? I had rather just stick with Delta for both though.

Seriously thinking of doing this for one night. Just love the look of the Santa Fe resort I think.
I have stayed at Santa Fe :) Just to clarify though, its not a resort, the Disneyland Paris hotels are just that hotels, not resorts like at Walt Disney World.

Santa Fe is a budget hotel based on an American Motel style. But to clarify, its more Comfort Inn than Motel 6 :) The reception, bar breakfast room and shop are located in the main building. The rooms are located in blocks behind the main building, the corridors are indoor corridors, like a hotel. There is no pool at Santa Fe. The theming is CARS, think Carsland in Disneyland California. The bar / resturant is Tex Mex style / theme.

The breakfast is a continental style breakfast. This means that it is a selection of cold, meat, fruit, cheese, cereals, toast, and pastries, tea, coffee, fruit juices. Breakfast is an added extra. You can also get quick service breakfast in the park or character breakfast at Plaza Gardens restaurant in the park, or you can get breakfast in McDonalds, Starbucks etc in Disney Village.

To get to the park, you can either walk, 20 minutes or take the free shuttle bus. There is also a luggage room, where you can leave your luggage if you arrive early and your room is not ready or on your check out day if you want to go back to the park

What does it mean when it says it is a Delta flight but operated by Air France? I am not so sure about Air France? I find myself just wanting to stick with the airlines that are American based.

It means that it is an Air France plane with Air France cabin crew and that Delta have made an arrangement that they will sell a % of the seats on the plane. This is called Code Share and is very normal. It benefits both airlines. Delta can offer their customers the option of that route without having to spend the money of a plane and cabin crew. Air France can make sure that more seats are sold and therefore fill the plane which is more efficient.

From researching Google Flights, Delta and Air France are the only two that will offer a non stop flight. And that is a requirement for my husband. So I guess in a way, the airline decision is pretty much made, I guess. Delta/Air France? I had rather just stick with Delta for both though.

Dont be worried, flying a European airline is actually not that big a deal. I have flown with American airlines and European airlines. On Air France you will still get the same type of plane, the same type of inflight entertainment etc etc. The only thing is that in flight announcements will be on both French and English, the inflight magazine will be in both French and English, the inflight magazine will be an interesting read as it will be aimed for Europeans. The flights crew will speak English, so dont worry about that either.

We went to Spain earlier this year (Barcelona). The flights between the US and Paris were Delta planes and Delta Flight crews. The flights between Paris and Barcelona were Delta flights but operated by Air France. The only difference (aside from paint jobs/logos)...
* Since our luggage didn't make it there (missed a 10 minute connection in Detroit), we actually had to go to the desk supporting AF to make our claim, not Delta (even though we had booked with Delta).
* When we checked in for our return flight, we went to the AF desk (there actually wasn't a Delta desk in Barcelona).
* When looking at Departure boards, make sure you know your AF flight number. They may display Delta's flight number or might not).
* I think the Boarding passes on the return flight were all AF boarding passes (makes sense since we checked in at their desk).

I realize that our tickets may very well be in the ball park of $1200 each. But I did notice today that if we were to board in Nashville it could save us around $200 a ticket, but there will be a short layover in Atlanta, so I did run that by my husband. He might actually consider a very short layover now. But what I really took notice of was that from Orlando to Paris, with a lay over in Atlanta, the fare was like $550. My husband was like, how much would it cost us to fly down to Orlando on Allegiant? And then he is like, could you just board that flight in Atlanta if you "missed" it in Orlando. I told him that I am assuming that would be an absolute no. Not like a cruise where you can do such, right?

I am assuming, like AngieTN said that it will be cheaper to use Groome Transportation to take us there and drop us off verses parking at the Atlanta airport, especially since it will most likely be at least a two week trip. My husband used them before when he has flown and really liked them.

Also, will the birth certificates that most of us used to get onto the Disney cruises that we have taken suffice in getting our passport? My daughter was like, mom you have to have the original one, and of course that is not possible with everyone.

We went to Europe back in April. We found out about the trip last July. I started stalking air fares. Most were around the $1200 range (RT). That was from our small airport. I used Google Flights. It allows you to search nearby airports too on the same screen. I think it was the week before Thanksgiving, Delta had a sale. RT from our airport to Barcelona for <$500. I notified the other families we were travelling with, one was able to take advantage, the other wasn't. Prices never got that low.

I suggest using google flights and checking multiple times a week if not daily.
Makes me wonder if they might just have another sale this year like that? Or Black Friday flight sale.:teeth:

Are you going to spend the week in Paris for medical reasons?
No, what we are going to try to do, hope to do, is turn a little lemonade out of these lemons we have here. The first week we would like to stay and tour Paris a bit, the Eiffel Tower, the museum with the Mona Lisa in it, maybe one day at DisneyLand, and I would love to take that train over to London to see Big Ben and such. There was also some castles I seen online that looked fabulous.

The second week we would stay in Bordeaux for the surgery and recovery. Since this surgery- disc replacement is really "downsized" compared to the first one she had at 14, (spinal fusion, 8 hours) we are hoping at a week or even a week and a half she will be good to fly back home. But we don't know that just yet, so I am just hoping.

I just get nervous typing about all this.:crazy2:

I realize that our tickets may very well be in the ball park of $1200 each. But I did notice today that if we were to board in Nashville it could save us around $200 a ticket, but there will be a short layover in Atlanta, so I did run that by my husband. He might actually consider a very short layover now. But what I really took notice of was that from Orlando to Paris, with a lay over in Atlanta, the fare was like $550. My husband was like, how much would it cost us to fly down to Orlando on Allegiant? And then he is like, could you just board that flight in Atlanta if you "missed" it in Orlando. I told him that I am assuming that would be an absolute no. Not like a cruise where you can do such, right?

I am assuming, like AngieTN said that it will be cheaper to use Groome Transportation to take us there and drop us off verses parking at the Atlanta airport, especially since it will most likely be at least a two week trip. My husband used them before when he has flown and really liked them.

Also, will the birth certificates that most of us used to get onto the Disney cruises that we have taken suffice in getting our passport? My daughter was like, mom you have to have the original one, and of course that is not possible with everyone.
I can't answer as to what you need to get a passport but I did want to point out while you may not have the original you can have an official one. That's all that's needed, technically, official. As long as the state has issued it officially, it will work.

As for Allegiant, remember, that doesn't go to MCO, it goes to Sandford. I'm guessing that is NOT the airport that would fly to Paris so you'll have to get to MCO. That's not cheap. Don't fly Allegiant. It's a horrible airline. I wouldn't fly it again if they paid me

I believe you need a certified copy of your birth certificate to obtain a US passport. Also, if your married name is different from the name on your birth certificate, you'll need to have your marriage license/certificate to show why your name was changed.

I can't answer as to what you need to get a passport but I did want to point out while you may not have the original you can have an official one. That's all that's needed, technically, official. As long as the state has issued it officially, it will work.

As for Allegiant, remember, that doesn't go to MCO, it goes to Sandford. I'm guessing that is NOT the airport that would fly to Paris so you'll have to get to MCO. That's not cheap. Don't fly Allegiant. It's a horrible airline. I wouldn't fly it again if they paid me
We would do Nashville first. We are not going to fly Allegiant.

I believe you need a certified copy of your birth certificate to obtain a US passport. Also, if your married name is different from the name on your birth certificate, you'll need to have your marriage license/certificate to show why your name was changed.
Right, the certified copies got us onto the Disney boats.

As BadPinkTink says, you shouldn't be concerned about flying an established European airline like Air France. Other than dual language annoucements, there's not much of a difference. In fact, some people think foreign airlines offer superior service over American airlines.

Air France has been around in one form or another since 1933. They are partially owned by the French government. It's not some upstart airline.

Airline pricing is often times nonsensical. It doesn't make sense that a ticket consisting of two flights should be cheaper than a ticket with just one of the same flights. But, that's how it works sometimes. Pricing is based on many factors, including the options that exist for each individual market.

I'd warn you that an international itinerary that includes a very short layover is a invitation to problems. If your first flight is even a little bit late, you risk missing your connecting flight. Unlike domestic trips, there tend to be far fewer international flights. Now, as long as you weren't responsible for the delay (i.e. you were late driving to the airport), the airline will get you to your final destination. However, that might not be until the following day. Depending on the reason, the airline may or may not provide a hotel room in that case. In the end, I would avoid any short layovers on an international trip.

As to your final question, you are correct. You can't intentionally miss the first flight in a multi-leg itinerary and simply hop on the connecting flight. If you are a "no-show", your entire itinerary will be canceled, including any return portion of a round-trip ticket.

As BadPinkTink says, you shouldn't be concerned about flying an established European airline like Air France. Other than dual language annoucements, there's not much of a difference. In fact, some people think foreign airlines offer superior service over American airlines.

Air France has been around in one form or another since 1933. They are partially owned by the French government. It's not some upstart airline.

Airline pricing is often times nonsensical. It doesn't make sense that a ticket consisting of two flights should be cheaper than a ticket with just one of the same flights. But, that's how it works sometimes. Pricing is based on many factors, including the options that exist for each individual market.

I'd warn you that an international itinerary that includes a very short layover is a invitation to problems. If your first flight is even a little bit late, you risk missing your connecting flight. Unlike domestic trips, there tend to be far fewer international flights. Now, as long as you weren't responsible for the delay (i.e. you were late driving to the airport), the airline will get you to your final destination. However, that might not be until the following day. Depending on the reason, the airline may or may not provide a hotel room in that case. In the end, I would avoid any short layovers on an international trip.

As to your final question, you are correct. You can't intentionally miss the first flight in a multi-leg itinerary and simply hop on the connecting flight. If you are a "no-show", your entire itinerary will be canceled, including any return portion of a round-trip ticket.
Very useful info. Thanks a bunch. I'll take that into consideration for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter