• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In search of good sewing pattern for Luke Skywalker outfit!

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
My son is now obsessed with Star Wars, and the only way I could tear him away from the polyester Luke costume at Disneyland was to promise him that I'd get a sewing machine and make him a nice costume. (I can sew, I just don't have a machine)

Does anyone know of a nice pattern?

It's possible we'll have another Disneyland trip during their Halloweentime celebrations, so that makes it even more related to Disney!

I sort of thought about just buying him a plain white tae kwon do outfit and perhaps tea-staining it so it isn't bright white, but I don't think the pants would be quite right. Besides, sewing it would be a nice accomplishment.

Any recommendations on not-very-expensive but quality sewing machine would be appreciated as well!

Thank you very much!

Simplicity 4426 Child's costume

I love this pattern and need to find another one now that my son is bigger. (before I learned not to cut my patterns. ;) ) It does the robe, the Jedi costume, and a Leia as well. I did the costume two years ago for Halloween and he wore it both then and last year. I can PM you a pic if you would like to see it.

It was pretty simple to follow if you have basic sewing skills. It took me a couple of days to do, but it wasn't my only project at the time.

Oh, bummer. I was just looking online and see this pattern is out of print. Sorry. It was just sitting close by when I suggested it.

Oh, bummer. I was just looking online and see this pattern is out of print. Sorry. It was just sitting close by when I suggested it.

It may be out of print but I know it was at JoAnn's the last time I was there. I haunt the pattern section of that store. Good luck!

Which version of Luke does he want to be? Luke has several different “looks” throughout the movies. And how “authentic” do you want to go. I’m with you on those cheap store bought costumes. And since I’m your basic SW geek I have made my boys costumes the last few years. I look forward to it every year and already have most of the stuff bought to make this years already.

My son last year as Luke Ep IV X-wing pilot.

IM000604.jpg

My other son last year as Luke Ep VI Jedi Knight.

IM000611.jpg

Without cloak to see the costume more.

IM000605.jpg

Both costumes are based on modifications on existing clothing. There are a few sewn pieces like the flack vest and Jedi cloak. Luke’s RTOJ costume wasn't a robe like in the prequels. Fairly easy to make with your basic biblical cloak pattern. Each costume took me not much more than a week to make.

The pattern listed above is a Jedi costume suitable for prequel characters like Anakin or Obi-Wan. Luke never wore a costume like that. You can however still find that pattern all over ebay. I don’t have a picture of Luke’s Tatooine costume. For that I'd recommend starting with a Karate Gi pattern, or just picking one up at a thrift store and modify it. The pants are just basic khakis. Find some boots (tip- my boys are wearing girls boots with some modifications LOL) make the belts and you’re done.

Here is my son as Obi-Wan Ep II sewn from the mentioned pattern and modified a bit to be more in line with Obi-Wan. You can see the difference between Obi-Wan and Luke's costumes.

IM000457.jpg

and one with robe.

halloween1.jpg

His brother was Jango Fett. You don't want to know how long that one took. :rotfl:

IM000467.jpg

If you want to PM me I'd be happy to pass along some information on how I made the costumes and some links where you can get tutorials on SW costumes. I just had to change things up a bit from adult sizing to finding something that works for kids. Did I mention I can barely sew? So anyone can pretty much do it if I could.

regards

Those are incredible!!!!!!!! I bow to your incredibleness.

I'll go looking for the pattern; maybe it's hiding somewhere. :)

Anyone who wants to show me more pictures or give me hints, please do! :goodvibes

Oh wow! Those are amazing! I can't wait to show them to my son tomorrow. He has been asking me for a Jango costume for a while. He will absolutely flip! Thankfully this year I am getting off way easy. He wants to be Indiana Jones. ;)

Here's my little Anakin last Halloween. This was his dramatic Anakin on Mustafar look. :lmao:

IMG_0853.jpg

Here's the costume from the year before, you can see a bit more I think.
100_1073.jpg

I was very limited in the availability of my material so it isn't the colors I wanted at all. But, if I do the costume again I will splurge and drive a couple hours to a real fabric store to get the right fabrics.

http://www.padawansguide.com/index.shtml

http://jedi-academy.com/costume_tips.html

are a couple of very detailed websites on making various SW costumes. I followed a lot of the advise there, making necessary changes for kid sized, and not worrying about every little detail like seams. Too complicated for me. Like I said, I'm a total beginner with sewing. I found my Obi-Wan fabric at Walmart. $2.99 a yard. This year I couldn't find it. My son has requested Anakin. So I found Homespun at Joann. More expensive, but had a coupon for 50% off. For Obi-Wan he's wearing his school uniform khaki pants. For Luke ROTJ, he's wearing girls stretch legging from Walmart, just a size bigger so they are not tight and I had to add a draw string so they didn't fall down. Luke's costume is 2 pieces, pants and a jacket with a double breasted type flap. I just used 2 old black turtlenecks and cut a "flap" from one of them, sewed it to a similar cut piece of an old white undershirt and then sewed that to the first turtleneck. Cut down the neck to make it more collar type and Wahlaaa...... The prequel Jedi have 2 tunics and long tabbards over the shoulders front and back. Luke wears more of a vest with short tabbards attatched front only. I happened to have this old ugly long 80's grey sweater type vest and I just tore it appart and used it. You could make it from almost any standard vest pattern and then add the tabbards from the shoulder seams. They are just basic rectangles. The cloak is a biblical costume pattern. For a prequel Jedi, follow the pattern for the robe, but not the hood. It's too small for a jedi. Something adult sized is perfectly oversized for a kid. I found a simple lined hood pattern online.

Shop thrift stores for old belts. Just cut them down to kid sized. My dad does leather work and I just gave him the tutorial for Obi-Wan. Actually when he went to Tandy Leather to purchase the stuff they were very familiar with making SW belts and told him exactly what he would need. Luke's belt is just a 1 1/2 wide black leather belt with a military buckle. I just weathered it up a bit to look old.

The x-wing costume is just a basic cotton orange NASA costume from Target. I followed most of the advise here http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/ I scored the chest box on ebay for 99 cents. People thought it was a "broken" Darth Vader chest box...because it didn't talk. LOL It's actually an old lazer tag game piece and works perfectly. I added the hoses.

Here are a couple more shots of my mini-Jango.

halloween4.jpg

halloween6.jpg

Or maybe you don't want to show him for fear he'll want one. :laughing: I started that costume about mid-June and was putting the last coat of paint on the jet pack the week before Halloween. I started with a Rubies helmet and totally tore it down, replaced the face mask, sanded, painted, sanded some more, painted some more, lined it...then put it all back together. That alone took me about a month. The armor is hand cut, shaped, sanded and painted then velcro'd and/or straps (for the leg pieces that wouldn't hold right with just velcro). Belts and holsters made from rope dyed, leather cut and dyed and some vinyl for the pouches. I did cheat a little on some things like the knees. He couldn't walk well in the handmade knee armor so I switched to knee pads painted silver. The gauntlets are an old Boba Fett toy set painted silver. The jumpsuit is modified from a NASA costume because I was running short on time to finnish one sewn from a pattern. He was 6 at the time and LOVED this costume. It still fits him since he's so skinny at 8.

I am also doing an Indy this year! Not nearly as much fun in the work...but so much easier. I only have to modify the shirt a bit and find and/or make a suitable bag. The rest is pretty much done. No pictures taken yet though. Then I get to start on my Anakin. Have the pattern already, just have to get the time to start on it.

Let me know if I can be any further help.

regards

I realized that I hadn't mentioned that the outfit DS wants (well, that is, until he managed to see the pictures on this thread!!!!) is the outfit Luke wears through the first-made movie.

Looks like they discontinued 4426 back in '06, if the star wars fan message boards I found are to believed. I'm thinkin' I won't find it at Joanns (though I'm going to try).

Hmm, maybe a tea-stained, pant-legs-pegged tae kwon do outfit might work after all! Now to have blackbelt hubby get to work on finding one (without having to sign up for classes).

That is if the boy doesn't decide he wants the flight outfit instead (HOW did you make that helmet?). The talent here is amazing!!!!!

The helmet I didn't make. It's a Rubies costume version. They sell them at almost every costume shop, starwars.com and ebay. I got the best price on ebay. The gloves are also store bought, Rubies Darth Vader gloves in child size.

The Tatooine costume is rather basic. It really was just made based on an off the rack Karate Gi. You could use the pants that come with it or some Old Navy plain front khakis in the stone color. The tunic should be white, but I'd dirty it up a little to make it look desert worn. The boots I have for the x-wing costume are airwalks from payless. They also came in a light tan color. Not quite as high as Luke's boots but they do have the slouchyness necessary for a decent look. You could also make the leg wrappings around tan boots with ace bandage.

regards

Those are some impressive costumes! I am afraid to let my 14 year old son see them or he might decide he needs to dress up again.

Fingerpaints--Is that a little Yoda in the background of your second Anakin picture? I would love to see that one too!

Fingerpaints--Is that a little Yoda in the background of your second Anakin picture? I would love to see that one too!

Oh yes. That is my little Yoda. For a few years, I got all of us dressed up in Star Wars costumes. I am Leia every year myself. ;)

That is a store bought baby Yoda costume. He was just as cute as can be. The year before he was baby Vader. The skeleton was Chewie, but changed his mind right before we went out to trick or treat.

100_1079.jpg

Wow. Order66, I didn't see your post last night when I posted....that's just amazing.

Fingerpaints I noticed your little Yoda, too. :goodvibes

My son is now obsessed with Star Wars, and the only way I could tear him away from the polyester Luke costume at Disneyland was to promise him that I'd get a sewing machine and make him a nice costume. (I can sew, I just don't have a machine)

Does anyone know of a nice pattern?

It's possible we'll have another Disneyland trip during their Halloweentime celebrations, so that makes it even more related to Disney!

I sort of thought about just buying him a plain white tae kwon do outfit and perhaps tea-staining it so it isn't bright white, but I don't think the pants would be quite right. Besides, sewing it would be a nice accomplishment.

Any recommendations on not-very-expensive but quality sewing machine would be appreciated as well!

Thank you very much!

I'd be willing to pay someone to make the 'Black Luke Skywalker' shirt in a size 7-8...the one with the white flap. To say I don't know my way around a sewing machine would be an understatement :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter