In Search of My Body vol. 10 - taking it one paper towel at at time

Ronda93

DIS Veteran
Shameless cut and paste from Nancy's launch of vol 9 in June:

Welcome to Vol 10 of our little thread! For nearly 3 years, this thread has been going strong! Many have come, a few have gone and some of us have stuck it out thru thick and thin.

Our gains have been greater than our losses. While many of us have lost some weight all of us have gained a lot. We’ve gained friendship. We’ve gained insights and we've gained confidence. We’ve expanded our horizons in ways we may have never thought possible. And we’ve gained BLING! Yes, seven of us trained and completed the Princess ½ marathon together in March.

You’ll find we have different goals, different methods for achieving better health. Perhaps we may all wish there was a simple “quick fix”, however we know that is not a reality. We fight the daily battles with food and exercise. Some days we win, other days we struggle. But we support one another, we share and we care as we all work to achieve balance in our lives.

It’s true that this is a weight loss thread, and we hope you’ll choose to join us because you’ll find that we are about so much more.

Blech. Feet hurt again. Not bad, but they are not supposed to do that either. Left a message at the doctor's office. Can't decide if I should run (short speed workout) tomorrow morning. Spring marathon is not working out training wise. Ice is going to start coating everything tomorrow. After that a foot of snow is expected. I will be confined to the TM and that's where I think the problem started.

Sigh. I'm lucky to have such troubles.

Meg - enjoy your week!

E, EE, Amy, Lisa, Kelly, Jo, Karen, Paula, Rob, Nancy - Hurry up and post!

Ronda

I am here - I am fatter than I want to be but then again, that is why I am here. I am so taking my mulligan!!!

I will be confined to the TM and that's where I think the problem started.

Sigh. I'm lucky to have such troubles.

Yes, you're right. About the lucky part. Yeah, we eachhave our annoying injuries, but in the grand scheme of things? Pretty darn lucky.

And I think there's a good chance you are right about the TM too. I am pretty convinced that the TM is the source of my hip flexor issue. And after having Erin watch me run at various speeds, I'm even more convinced. I just think it's hard to find your natural stride on the dang things. My pace is very music-driven and it's nearly impossible to match each song with the exact speed on the TM. I feel like I'm either fighting to keep up with it because it's going faster than I want, or I'm fighting the belt because it's not going fast enough! (if any of that makes any sense at all :laughing:)

And, after all that. I have to do my whole 10 miles indoors tomorrow. The roads here are just too snowy & dangerous for outside running right now. <sigh> Pray for me people :laughing:

I am here - I am fatter than I want to be but then again, that is why I am here. I am so taking my mulligan!!!

I can't tell you how many times in the past 2 weeks or so I've thought about your paper towel analogy. One sheet at a time. Each small victory counts Paula, and they will eventually add up. :love:

***WORK IN PROGRESS***STILL ADDING FOLKS***

Ok, so here’s a little bit about us…

But first, don’t be intimidated that many of us know each other well. We ALWAYS have room for more! Please join us. We are Team Goddess!

What you'll find in us are people who understand where you are at and who are willing to help you get where you want to be. We're totally supportive, but make no mistake, we hold each other accountable. Accountability is key to weight loss, healthy eating, and exercise. We won't tell you it's ok that you ate an entire bag of Doritos or an entire gallon of ice cream...but we will help you own it and move on and make a plan so it doesn't happen again. And we'll kick you in the tail when you need that, too! :goodvibes:

We don't all subscribe to the same program...everyone does what is best for her/himself. For some that means Weight Watchers, for others it is counting calories, for others it is learning to maintain. We'll work with you whatever your program is.

Enough of all of that, it is time to meet the Goddesses!

ME—Erika, though everyone here calls me E. Married, in Maine, 3 kids (8, 9, and 11). Never ran a step before joining this thread and have since completed 5 Half Marathons (soon to be six with the Princess Half next month) and two triathlons. Still have 15 pounds to lose, but this is the year it will be gone for good!

RONDA—Ronda93—OMG, a running goddess for sure! Although she only started running a couple of years ago, she has already done several Half Marathons and is getting ready for her first FULL in just a few weeks! As for weight loss…ask her for a before and after pic. It’s amazing!

NANCY—AKASnowWhite—a goddess from CT with 3 teens. Completed multiple Half Marathons and even one FULL! Lost 45 pounds and has kept it off successfully for ages!

LIZ—SeptemberGirl—the Goddess of Weight Watchers! Lost 80 freaking pounds! She’s getting ready to complete her second Half Marathon and has done multiple 5ks! Married, from Jersey, one great kid.

PAULA—goofyfan-12—the Goddess of Mileage! Paula has also lost 80 pounds using the Jenny Craig program. And as for mileage…Paula did the Princess Half last year--and just recently, get ready….trained for and competed in a CENTURY ride! That means 100 miles of biking! To attempt such a thing is daunting and we are SO proud of her!

KAT—HockeyKat—from NC, married, no kids…and this Goddess SAID she always hated running….until she started running! Now she has completed 3 Halfs and is getting ready for her fourth at the Princess. As her name implies, she also loves to watch and play hockey.

AMY--amykab—makes us all jealous because she only lives an hour from Disney and often just pops over for a day! A goddess to the core, Amy just had a baby 8 weeks ago, and get this…she is doing the Princess Half! Amy has done a ton of races, really a ton! She is the Goddess of Racing, for sure!

AMIEE--adsrtw—another Amiee, but spelled differently so we call her EE. Amiee is representing the mid-west on Team Goddess. Single and workin’ it, 2 kids, and getting ready to complete her second Half Marathon.

LISA--lisaviolet—Goddess of the Great White North! Lovely Lisa, whom we all adore beyond words is from Canada. She’s lost gobs of weight and has the best, I mean The Best, attitude of anyone ever.

KELLY--DisneyGalUK—our goddess from across the pond. She just reached GOAL WEIGHT and we are all SO proud of her! She also just started running this month and is loving it! See? We rub off on people!

MEG—poppinspal—Meg is from Boston and has also been a racing Goddess this year! Holy cow, I have lost count of the number of races she has done! She lost 25 pounds in 2010 and has kept it all off! 29 and single…but currently smooching with a cutie in Vermont, so we’ll see…

JO--cantwaitvaca09--Jo is also from the mid-west and is a new runner! She has worked SO hard these past few months and will be doing her first Half Marathon in just a few weeks at the Princess! Married with 2 little girls at home.

ROB—our single god amongst goddesses! I mean, really, it takes a REAL MAN to hang out with us and we’re so glad he’s here! Currently training for his first 5k!

KAREN—Twoboysnmygirl—our newest goddess! See? We really do welcome newcomers! Karen is from Missouri, married with 3 kids and is starting to run—sweet!

Cathie—from the west (ok, well Colorado, but that is west of most of us!). Cathie is battling some health stuff now and hopes to up and running soon!

E said:
I can't tell you how many times in the past 2 weeks or so I've thought about your paper towel analogy. One sheet at a time. Each small victory counts Paula, and they will eventually add up.

We have a winner!

And, after all that. I have to do my whole 10 miles indoors tomorrow. The roads here are just too snowy & dangerous for outside running right now. <sigh> Pray for me people :laughing:

OMG, Nancy! :scared1: You KNOW I will be thinking about you! WOW. My hatred of the TM would never allow me to do a long run that way. But YOU will kickass, for sure!

I have been checking our forecast for the end of this week to see which day will be best for my long run--Thursday or Friday. They both are predicted to be really cold. Hopefully the forecast will improve before the day arrives.

Ok, I think I am done with Roll Call post...did I forget anyone or get anyone's information wrong?

Karen - shoes.... if you can get to Rolla (after the storm ; ) you might have good luck looking for a running shoe store around the university. If that doesn't pan out here's what I'd do...

If the Asics feel good on your feet, order several models from runningwarehouse.com. Before you begin to check out go to the top and click Team Discounts. Enter WISHD. That should give you 15% off your purchase. Try them on a treadmill, then, and here's the great part, return them using their free return shipping.

I've found Brooks fit my feet well. Nancy swears by New Balance. After you find shoe that feels good you can choose the support/guidance level for your foot type/stride. YMMV.

Ronda

Like Ronda, I swear by Brooks. BUT....they are best for those with moderate to low arches, which isn't your foot, I believe.

Shoes fall into 4 categories:

Motion control - for those with severe overpronation
Stability - for those with some overpronation or supination
Neutral - for those with a well-balanced foot and stride
Performance - for those who really need a light and fast shoe

Given what you said, I think you need a stability shoe. But again, you can't take my word for it--you have to get properly fitted. If you want to give me (here or via PM) your zip code, I can find the nearest approved store for you. :goodvibes

Ronda is spot-on about runningwarehouse.com, too. A GREAT place to go, but it is best once you know what the right type of shoe is for you.

I'm here! Woo Hoo!

Miserable weekend with the coughing junk that is going around. Needless to say, I haven't been eating bad stuff, lol.

Karen--this might be a great shoe for you! I adore Sauconys and these are made for runners with high arches. And holy crow, look how light they are! 8.7 ozs. for women! Here is the review:

SAUCONY PROGRID JAZZ 14
Price: $85
Widths: Stand.-2E (M) Stand.-2E (W)
Weight: 11 oz (M) 8.7 oz (W)

We Say: Not much has changed over the years in this basic, no-nonsense trainer. Like a station wagon, it offers a reliable ride that's ideal for tooling around town at a modest pace. Testers found it to be comfortable, but there were some comments about the upper being stiff. Still, the soft underfoot feel and snug heel fit make the Jazz a good deal for the price. Recommended for runners who have mid to high arches and are looking for a reliable trainer.

OMG, first off, you are on page 2 already! And I thought I was fast?!?!

I have to say that I'm really touched how you girls have welcomed me. I got a little teary about it. It really means a lot to me that you have included me and that's NOT just the vodka/oj talking! :lmao:

Paula! Thanks for the welcome! :lovestruc I've been strength training 3xs a week, I can really see a difference in my upper body! My 15 year old son has been coming as well and it's really been fun to do with him!

Rhonda, thanks for the info on runningwarehouse! I will have to look around more but they don't have larger than an 11 (I need to go up 1/2 size) in the Asics I was thinking of, but the discount is worth checking out some other brands!!!

Ok, my husband is home (he's a truck driver, so we cherish our time when he's home!) and the whole family is bugging me to come play poker...and I think I hear a screwdriver calling! (vodka has no calories, right?!?!??) :rolleyes1

Oh and E. thanks for the shoe suggestion, I'll check those shoes out tomorrow (when I can see straighter!) :thumbsup2

Morning All.

Its Monday!!!!
Ronda I think we are to get the same snow storm.
They were talking more that 18" starting tomorrow.
Wow that is Alot even for Chicago.

I feel you pain with the snow now Nancy. :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter