In the good old days....

It sounds like you don't enjoy it anymore. There are so many other beautiful places to vacation. Close this chapter and try something else.
I actually have. It's MUCH cheaper to fly to Paris than it is to drive to WDW so that's exactly what we did last year. I've booked my second trip for this fall. I'm only going back to WDW for one day this year because my friend and I are wanting to see the new HP ride at Universal and we'll have an extra day. I've also tried cruising this year for the first time and it's a much cheaper alternative but in 3 cruises I've caught a bug each time and it's got me nervous about what I thought was going to be my answer to vacationing without Disney. And you're right, I don't really enjoy it anymore. I try for my family's sake, but for me, the insanely high prices have sucked the joy out of it for me.

Can we all take a deep breath here! I don't want to close down this thread but this discussion is getting out of hand!

How did they even get all of them? What you all are calling hoarding, I call making an ADR so I'll at least have somewhere to eat unless I get the one I really want. I've never heard about making several at the same place but I will definitely make say a ressie at Ale and Compass for dinner but if Ohana opens up I'm cancelling and taking the new reservation for sure. I'm not just going to wait around and potentially have to do counter service because I didn't want to tie up a reservation. Other folks can get up early and scour around for months the same as me.

They got them by making them several hours apart, and also booking breakfast, lunch, and dinner. People really do hoard places like BOG and Ohana, because their plans aren't yet set in stone, and they want flexibility. There are some folks who book just a couple of ADRs at the same restaurant, with the intention of dropping one as their plans solidify, and there are folk who will book the same restaurant every single day of their vacation, also with the intention of dropping all but one. Hoarding ADRs is not new. People do think of themselves first, and there's nothing wrong with booking a backup ADR until you can secure the restaurant or time you really wanted. There's also nothing stopping people from booking BOG 4 times in a single day, multiple days, just because they can't figure out when they want to eat there, but it's also insanely selfish. Just remember that those people have used the same logic you are using, and that could be one of the reasons you can't get what you want.

However, I still maintain that it is going to be busier than usual. Disney eventually realizes this, increases staff on those days, and releases more ADRs.

I'll admit, I do the exact same thing. I get several and then drop them as my plans start to solidify. Unfortunately, you have to do that because who in the heck has a clue where they want to be 6 months in advance to a vacation? I have to try to figure out when extra magic hours are and all that jazz so I can avoid that park like the plague. There's so much that goes into the planning that Disney is NO vacation. It's a high impact J.O.B.

That was your reply to someone posting that people hoard ADRs. That you do the same.

If you are part of the problem you can't complain. And fwiw changing ADRS is vastly different from hoarding them. So if that is really what you are doing, then that is not hoarding.

How did they even get all of them? What you all are calling hoarding, I call making an ADR so I'll at least have somewhere to eat unless I get the one I really want. I've never heard about making several at the same place but I will definitely make say a ressie at Ale and Compass for dinner but if Ohana opens up I'm cancelling and taking the new reservation for sure. I'm not just going to wait around and potentially have to do counter service because I didn't want to tie up a reservation. Other folks can get up early and scour around for months the same as me.

I think all would agree that this isn’t what is referred to as “hoarding ADRs.” I’ve done the exact same thing this trip. I currently have four reservations we can’t get and I have reservation finders set but in the meantime I’ve booked alternatives so I know we’ll have some place to eat that we would enjoy and because we’ll be on the dining plan and need to be able to use the table service credits. If the places we really want come up in the meantime, we’ll swap them out. But if any of them don’t, we’ll eat where we currently are booked. The hoarding I’m talking about is people who admit openly to booking several different reservations for their entire party at the same time for different parks because they don’t know where they want to go on which day yet. Then they cancel them the day before to avoid the no show fee. It’s allowable by Disney but it makes things way harder for the rest of us and may be contributing to the early December problem we are all having getting the places we want.

I think all would agree that this isn’t what is referred to as “hoarding ADRs.” I’ve done the exact same thing this trip. I currently have four reservations we can’t get and I have reservation finders set but in the meantime I’ve booked alternatives so I know we’ll have some place to eat that we would enjoy and because we’ll be on the dining plan and need to be able to use the table service credits. If the places we really want come up in the meantime, we’ll swap them out. But if any of them don’t, we’ll eat where we currently are booked. The hoarding I’m talking about is people who admit openly to booking several different reservations for their entire party at the same time for different parks because they don’t know where they want to go on which day yet. Then they cancel them the day before to avoid the no show fee. It’s allowable by Disney but it makes things way harder for the rest of us and may be contributing to the early December problem we are all having getting the places we want.
Gotcha, that is when we are going and at 180 days out there was nothing at all available at the places we wanted, and that was hitting the button at 6am sharpe.

That was your reply to someone posting that people hoard ADRs. That you do the same.

If you are part of the problem you can't complain. And fwiw changing ADRS is vastly different from hoarding them. So if that is really what you are doing, then that is not hoarding.
Well yeah, because by the end of it, I have changed them several times. As my plans change, so go my ADR's. I just make sure I have something but just one place a day for my TS meal. Definitely didn't mean that I get a whole bunch then decide later. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter