In the Kitchen with Donald

If I know you as a nei I would accept it and probably do the most damage to it before DH found it, lol. If I don’t know you as a neighbour then I would politely thank you and toss it. That’s my difference. This coronavirus would not play into this picture as I order food from Uber Eats so not much difference.

great points! we traded christmas gifts last year, so i feel like we’re probably in the first category. thanks for the perspective :)

since heat kills the virus (I'm talking about cooking level heat here btw) it's 100% safe to both share and accept food cooked by others. Personally I'd probably use a disposable container so they'd know I haven't used it before and not properly cleaned it. I've seen pretty foil pans from Wilton (cake decorating company) in the grocery stores that would be nice. Heck even a foil pan is perfect
as mentioned above, if food cooked by others wasn't safe no one would be ordering take out.

hahaha, what i hear is that i wildly overthought the situation!! i’ll take a look for some nice foil pans and see what i can find. thanks!

I have a question about homemade pizza dough. I’ve made pizza dough in my bread machine twice so far. Problem is, my pizza crusts turn out too thick in the middle and bread like. Is there a trick to getting the pizza crust thinner? I don’t really want a thin crust pizza, just something more consistent.

I'm craving for a Disneyland Mint Julep so I'm trying to come up with my own recipe based on online copycat recipes. Not there yet but I'll keep experimenting this summer.

(No clue why my photo is sideway).

Attachments

• 0A71791F-F680-43D0-9C53-A0E9A06D5A43.jpeg
    0A71791F-F680-43D0-9C53-A0E9A06D5A43.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 3

I have two or three jams that I make that don't need Certo (Gooseberry, White currant, Black currant). I also make a rhubarb chutney that solidifies without Certo. The lemon juice and the acidity of the rhubarb will do the job.

Last edited:
great idea to revive this, @bababear_50 !

i haven’t done a ton of baking lately...it’s too hot! and my little one got Baby’s First Stitches on his lip a couple weeks ago, so we’ve been having lots of popsicles and frozen treats.

I’ve also been grilling tons. I don’t think I’ve posted this one before, but here’s a family favourite that we had tonight for supper. I cook it all on the grill outside because why warm the house?

https://cafedelites.com/chicken-fajitas/

I agree with some PP re too hot to cook. But I will need to do some jam in the next 2 weeks.

I've been throwing together an easy cold bean salad. I may have gone a bit overboard with some preps :rolleyes: this Spring so using up some older cans of beans and corn. No exact measurements needed. You need: one can black beans well drained and rinsed, one can corn drained, one can sliced black olives drained, handful cilantro chopped (or parsley if don't like cilantro), one green onion sliced thin, some black pepper and approx 1/4 (or less to taste) Greek bottled salad dressing. No salt needed as lots in the dressing. Mix together and chill. This salad is also tasty using chick peas and Italian salad dressing or the Kraft lime Italian. Its also a handy once around the fridge use of older veggies. Great to have something cold in the fridge for easy lunches esp on busy weekends. Makes a great side for grilled chicken or filling for a wrap or pita.

I mentioned (weeks ago at this point!) that I've discovered a new bread that hubby likes so much that it's the only kind I'm making now, he's eating it for breakfast and lunch and going thru at least 2 loaves a week (or more if it's also late night snack with fresh strawberry jam)
It's yet another King Arthur recipe -don't think I've ever had a failed attempt with any of their recipes. Current name is "Back of the Bag Oatmeal Bread" because apparently it was on the back of the bag of their bread flour and was called simply Oatmeal Bread but once they changed the label people kept asking for "the recipe that used to be on the back of the bag" so they changed the name 🤭
The recipe calls for bread flour but i only ever have all-purpose in my kitchen and it works just fine! I make a double batch or I'd be baking it every other day and I'm currently working thru an experiment to find the best way to freeze the dough so that I can make the dough on days when the kitchen isn't so brutally hot and then only need to bake the bread when I'm ready. It also cuts the time down since it needs to rise twice and I HATE being tied to the house if something exciting pops up to do (yea, there's a joke right now :P ) Once i figure out the best method I'll report back! I know it works because I do it with rolls all the time, make a double batch, bake 4 immediately and then freeze the others to just pull out whenever hubby wants freshly baked ones! To make 2 loaves just double everything other than the yeast -- use 1 TBSP of that and it will still rise perfectly!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups (361g) Flour
  • 1 cup (99g) rolled oats (old-fashioned oats work best but "quick" works too not instant!!)
  • 2 tablespoons (28g) butter, soft but not melted
  • 1½ teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons (40g) brown sugar or 3 tablespoons (63g) honey *** Hubby really likes the flavour of the honey instead of the sugar, and our kids all agree!
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 1¼ cups (283g) lukewarm milk
Steps
  1. Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess, if you just dip the measuring cup into the flour you'll end up with too much
  2. To make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together all of the ingredients to form an EXTREMELY wet & sticky dough.Knead the dough, by hand or mixer, until it's springy though still somewhat soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. The dough may feel quite sticky at the beginning; don't be tempted to add more flour, as additional flour will make the loaf dry.
  3. If you're kneading by hand, try kneading on a lightly greased work surface rather than a floured surface. *** it takes a reeeallly looong time to get properly kneaded, close to 10 minutes in my mixer for the double batch but it WILL get to the sweet spot, just be patient!!
  4. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and allow it to rise at room temperature for 1 hour; it'll become quite puffy, but it won't double in bulk. Don't let it get too "big" or the yeast won't have enough umph to rise in the oven! It needs the 2 risings because of the oatmeal, the gluten isn't quite as strong, again, trust it!
  5. To shape the dough: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface. Flatten the dough into a 6” x 8” rectangle. Fold the top down to the center (like you were folding a letter), pressing it firmly with the heel of your hand to seal. Pull the upper left and right corners into the center, pressing to seal. Repeat the first step (folding the top to the center and sealing) three or four more times, until you’ve created a 9” to 10” log. Tuck the ends under slightly, and turn the log over so its seam is on the bottom.Place the log in a lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan, and tent the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap or the cover of your choice, i find parchment paper works best here.
  6. Allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it's crested about 1" over the rim of the pan. Once again, it's slooow, just give it time!
  7. Bake in a 350° oven on the centre rack bread for 35 to 40 minutes, until it's golden brown. If the bread appears to be browning too quickly, cover it lightly with aluminum foil for the final 10 minutes of baking. When done, a digital thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf will register 190°F.
  8. Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing. Store, well wrapped, at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.

If you want to check out a blog post of theirs that gives more hints & tips for everything from changing up the flours or sweetners, adding fruit and/or nuts to the bread to turning the dough into rolls or buns check out THIS PAGE

For all the experienced bread bakers out there, and for newbies ghosting and learning, what is your best tip for proofing/rising bread dough in the winter? I used to have an old Kenmore fridge and it was toasty on the top and so perfect place for bread to rise in the winter. But I replaced it last summer with a new energy efficient fridge so that's gone. Where's the best place to let bread dough rise? Do you heat your oven to a certain temp, turn off, and then let rise in the closed oven overnight? Any tips appreciated by me and sure many others. TIA

For all the experienced bread bakers out there, and for newbies ghosting and learning, what is your best tip for proofing/rising bread dough in the winter? I used to have an old Kenmore fridge and it was toasty on the top and so perfect place for bread to rise in the winter. But I replaced it last summer with a new energy efficient fridge so that's gone. Where's the best place to let bread dough rise? Do you heat your oven to a certain temp, turn off, and then let rise in the closed oven overnight? Any tips appreciated by me and sure many others. TIA

I will turn my oven on to the lowest setting (170F) for about 5 min and then turn it off. Open the door for a few seconds to make sure it isn't too warm, and then I proof my bread in there. If it feels really warm, I leave the door open for a couple of minutes, but it normally doesn't get too warm in that short of a preheat time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!