In the Kitchen with Donald

The Force is strong with me today and to celebrate my favourite day of the year (yes, even better than Christmas to me!) I am making a Star Wars themed feast.
On the menu this evening is

a BB8 cheese ball
a Death Star pizza
a severed Wampa hand made with mashed cauliflower
thermal detonator meatballs (taking a bit of a leap to Rogue One but still canon)

and for dessert Storm Trooper and The Child/Baby Yoda cupcakes

I am still not sure if I can make the baby yoda decorations, I am going to give it a go and see what happens

Happy May the 4th everyone!

The Force is strong with me today and to celebrate my favourite day of the year (yes, even better than Christmas to me!) I am making a Star Wars themed feast.

a BB8 cheese ball
a Death Star pizza
thermal detonator meatballs (taking a bit of a leap to Rogue One but still canon)

I am still not sure if I can make the baby yoda decorations, I am going to give it a go and see what happens

I literally just saw this! Drinks for everyone!Screenshot_20200504-162407_Google.jpg

a BB8 cheese ball
a Death Star pizza

i love your ideas! and i’d love to see the results. may the 4th be with you :chewy:

a few years ago, we had a theme party. we made a boba fett pizza and a sarlacc bundt cake. 492757

Little update on my diet and few new pictures of what's starting to look like actual MEALS!
New foods that have passed challenges:
Cheese, butter, cream, corn and working thru spinach (not looking good so far but it's early)
I've had a cheese souffle that came out of the oven ok
looked horrid once i dished it up but tasted AMAZING
Made some corn & potato chowder which was also pretty tasty -- even the hubby ate some!
But tonight's dinner wins the gold ribbon! I stumbled across corn pasta at Zehrs and I was able to make
MAC AND CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that cookbook is IP specific so many good things in it.
I use my IP so much I’m surprised I haven’t had to replace it yet. If you like chicken, I buy the three packs of raw whole chickens at Costco and when I get them home stuff them with a few sprigs of thyme and a lemon cut in half before freezin them. Pop directly into IP frozen and cook 45 minutes on the pressure cook setting, let it pressure release for 5 minutes then transfer the whole chicken to a foil lined pan so you can put it inthe stove on the broil sett to crisp up the skin. While you are doing that make your gravey in the IP using the sauté setting on low. You can actually season the chicken with what spices you like before freezing or rub it with some olive oil and sprinkle some spices on when you take it out of the freezer before placing in the IP.
Made this last night in fact. Easy and quick.

ETA—sorry I hijacked the thread with this.
I have a chicken roasting in the oven right now, and I’m kind of regretting it. It’s too warm to have the oven on right now!

So...I’m trying your trick next time I stock up on chicken. Thanks for the tip!! Do you add water, or cook the chicken on the rack or anything?

And you’re not at all redirecting, but the kitchen thread would benefit from more tips and tricks if you have them :)
If I have a box of chicken broth I put about a cup in the bottom of the IP, if I don't have any I just use water because I can use bouillon to add any flavor I need. I put the rack in and chicken on top of the rack, broth/water doesn't touch it since it's only a cup. The drippings from the chicken also adds flavor. I like the rack because it makes it so easy to get chicken in and out. It's nice to be able to have a roast chicken in the summer and not heat the kitchen.
I never thought about the kitchen thread, I keep forgetting about that one. I'll have to pop into it again.
Thanks @tinkerone! Right now we do rotisserie chicken on the BBQ (well, DH is still doing it for us) but I will save your IP method for when it’s too cold to BBQ. Would you believe we never made gravy?!? I like gravy when eating at a restaurant but I never made some myself. 🤭
Figured I would just pull all of these great Instant Pot tips over here!

My new found favorite dinner/lunch.

I was feeling down about not being able to have my favorite meal Spaghetti and meat sauce.
Ground beef is just not something this post gallbladder removal stomach can take.

Well I decided to make a veggie sauce/Spaghetti pasta and it tasted great!
Cool thing about it is my son actually like it too,,although he had a side of a chicken breast with it.

Idea/recipe came from here.
https://www.inspiredtaste.net/38662/veggie-spaghetti-recipe/
Hugs
Mel

My new found favorite dinner/lunch.

I was feeling down about not being able to have my favorite meal Spaghetti and meat sauce.
Ground beef is just not something this post gallbladder removal stomach can take.

Well I decided to make a veggie sauce/Spaghetti pasta and it tasted great!
Cool thing about it is my son actually like it too,,although he had a side of a chicken breast with it.

Idea/recipe came from here.
https://www.inspiredtaste.net/38662/veggie-spaghetti-recipe/
Hugs
Mel
Try the Yves ground ‘meat’. It’s a good substitute for real meat and in sauce you probably won’t know the difference.

time to bring this back to the top of the page in case people want to share recipes for things that are more warm weather friendly.
also time to show more of my new creations 👩‍🍳
I thought corn tortillas would be a nice change of pace, I could stuff them with tuna, spread my blueberry sauce on them and bake some into chips for a vehicle to shovel sour cream into my mouth. I hunted down and found some corn flour and went to work. After over. 30 minutes in the kitchen that eventually led to a bunch of choice words 🤬🤬🤬 they ended up in the trash. How on earth can something actually taste like dry sand in your mouth regardless of how much liquid you add????!!!!???? Then I spent several hours googling, reading recipes and finally learning you need to use something called masa harina (essentially pre-cooked corn flour) sooo, tracked that down, got cooking and made these!
20200516_183839.jpg20200516_183844.jpg
sooo yummy I scarfed them down without thinking. EPIC BAD MOVE!!! Turned out they process the flour with lime and other things that don't need to be declared - including sulfites which are a huge problem for me - so I ended up in really rough shape for a couple of days. Meanwhile, whaaaatttt the heck is up with cornmeal people?!? I can't find any of the right grind that's not got sulphite as a may contain, I'm missing having my polenta for breakfast and midnight snack.

yesterday I stumbled across a recipe for pancakes using that corn flour that's really dry and figured it was worth a try before I toss the bag in the trash. Here's what I ended up with
20200524_132445.jpg
I might have eaten the entire batch 🤭

hubby had cheeseburger helper from the instant pot and gobbled down the entire bowl, guess it was good!20200523_184753.jpg

@Donald - my hero your crêpe looks very good! Crêpes for dinner is a favourite here. My kids eat them with cheese and ham and sometimes we add spinach too then with maple syrup or lemon juice and sugar for dessert.

I have a food-related question, so I think this is the best thread: would you feel comfortable if your neighbour brought over baked goods?

My neighbour did something really kind and I’d like to do something nice in return. Pre-pandemic, I know I would bake a cake and leave it at their door. Now, I don’t know!

Would it be okay if the cake freezes well, just in case they want to give it a couple day’s before eating it? Something else that would minimize risks even further?

Or is it better to keep my baking to myself for now?

I have a food-related question, so I think this is the best thread: would you feel comfortable if your neighbour brought over baked goods?

My neighbour did something really kind and I’d like to do something nice in return. Pre-pandemic, I know I would bake a cake and leave it at their door. Now, I don’t know!

Would it be okay if the cake freezes well, just in case they want to give it a couple day’s before eating it? Something else that would minimize risks even further?

Or is it better to keep my baking to myself for now?
If I know you as a nei I would accept it and probably do the most damage to it before DH found it, lol. If I don’t know you as a neighbour then I would politely thank you and toss it. That’s my difference. This coronavirus would not play into this picture as I order food from Uber Eats so not much difference.

since heat kills the virus (I'm talking about cooking level heat here btw) it's 100% safe to both share and accept food cooked by others. Personally I'd probably use a disposable container so they'd know I haven't used it before and not properly cleaned it. I've seen pretty foil pans from Wilton (cake decorating company) in the grocery stores that would be nice. Heck even a foil pan is perfect
as mentioned above, if food cooked by others wasn't safe no one would be ordering take out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!