In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

No kidding. A friend was getting a group together to do MNSSHP. $90 for a few hours of party on top of theme park admission. OUCH!!!

Just FYI your party ticket will usually get you in at 4PM the day of the party so unless you want to go into the park all day you don't need separate admission for the theme park for that day.

I more bothered by the fact that she didn't want to see Mickey associated in any way with HP? Assumption on her part perhaps? Of course, there may have been more to it than that. Not sure Disney would have even considered it. I've not seen Mickey in Pandora, except for a hidden one, and I doubt I will. It's her right but it just kind of rubbed me. It worked out in the end so it's water under the bridge. If Disney is spending millions or whatever the number may be, wouldn't they want more control over the creative process OR maybe Disney wasn't really all that interested anyway? Kicking the tires? Reminds me a bit of PL Travers, who didn't like anything about the Disney adaptation of Mary Poppins. Again, her right but she was very difficult and Mary Poppins ended up being very well received from critics and fans alike. One of the most beloved films of my childhood.

The reports are that these were very difficult negotiations. At the time, Disney was not used to giving up so much creative control. JK wanted control over everything small detail down to the taste of the Butterbeer and the nametag designs that are worn by employees. And you won't see a single piece of signage or seasonal decoration in WWOHP that wasn't approved. I can see why Disney wanted to play hardball. Of course, there was some second-guessing when Universal cinched the deal, and some belly-aching at Disney that led them to go on a buying spree for other IP. The result was that competition is good. Universal's success spurs more innovation for Disney. We should always be glad that one company doesn't become the only player that matters in town, because that breeds complacency. So when Universal one-ups Disney, and Disney answers back, it's all of us fans who win.

Partially. With APs, you can only make 7-days worth of FP selections within a 30-day period. If you have an onsite reservation, that moves to 60-days. If anyone wants to complain about it, there is nothing broken with this system. It is a system that is 100% permitted by WDW. There is nothing against WDW policy about purchasing an AP. There is nothing against booking a campsite at WDW. There is nothing against booking FPs with your AP and campsite reservation. There is nothing wrong with canceling your campsite reservation up to the cancellation date. What people have issue with is others not wasting $1,000s like they are.

Huh? I thought that if you only book one night on site, you can only make 60 day FP+ for the day of your onsite arrival and the day of your onsite departure? I'm confused. We're staying onsite.. as in really actually going to stay at the Dolphin, not a throwaway... the week between Xmas and New Years. We're only staying there one night (I'm an offsite die hard, but it's free, so the kids would enjoy it), but our actual trip is 10 days. I'm an AP holder. I can make FP+ 60 days out for 7 park days? Which 7? The Dolphin stay is right in the middle of our trip, like night 5.

Oh, as for overrated things...yeah, I'd say staying onsite, but that's just personal opinion. Another thing, which isn't a WDW thing, but related is "crowd calendars". I simply don't get why people put stock into them.

For me it's the new Test Track. It's boring (especilally on queue), doesn't have the humor of the old one and is just one big General Motors ad.

I also found Journey of the Little Mermaid highly lacking. It's just a set of vignettes, doesn't really feel like it has that much of a plot line, and the suspension of disbelief doesn't happen when I can clearly see the floors we are traveling on. I want to be immersed, something Disney was always so famous for, and it doesn't come even close to doing that.
Test Track is garbage. The new overlay removed a lot of the charm the ride had and it sits in an odd mix of wanting to be a thrill ride but not really being that thrilling.

Cars is so much better. It's not even close.

Food and Wine tops the list for me. I know people love it but I just don't understand why.

I think one of the best things about a Disney vacation is there is plenty of things I like and when I skip the things I don't like or am just meh about (Illuminations and Fantasmic are key examples) I don't feel like I haven't done enough. And the more people doing the things I don't like the shorter the lines for the experiences that are my must do. Win win

I'm an AP holder. I can make FP+ 60 days out for 7 park days? Which 7? The Dolphin stay is right in the middle of our trip, like night 5.
When your FP window opens 60 days before your Dolphin Stay, it includes all offsite park days prior to your Dolphin Check-in date. You can book FPs for park days through your Dolphin Checkout date.

Then, 60 days from each offsite park day after Dolphin FPs can also be booked. You have to pick and choose which 7 days you want to book. Then you’ll have to wait on the other days.

•The pressure to do the extras: Dessert parties, in room celebrations (which have jumped significantly in pricing in the last 5 years), etc. I don't understand the need to do the extras when you're already paying a fortune for the room and tickets. It's almost as if just going to Disney World isn't special enough.

THIS!!!

If it were that special to her then why sell it in the first place? By the way, that works both ways. It's fantasy about a wizard and she's worried that Disney may do something. What, to ruin it? Maybe Sorcerer Mickey or something?:scared:
Well I think she felt like Disney *may* not consider the intricacies of her work. She really did do a true world creating and it could have been that she felt, without control, Disney *may* not do it justice. In the end I completely agree that Universal was the right choice. While Universal may get the reputation for being less young kid friendly due to its attractions it has the ability to explore the world of Harry Potter in many more ways than I think would occur at WDW due to different expectations of the companies.

Buffets. I can't eat 50 dollars worth of food and don't get 50 dollars worth of Mickey hugs either.
I'm an avoider of buffets in general. I just don't like the pressure to eat my $'s worth in the amount of food. Perhaps I'd feel better if the cost of buffets was more along the lines of $10-$15.

Winnie the pooh- it's like a bad acid trip, I get it's for little ones but my girls even disliked it.
My husband and I went on that and I'd forgotten the tigger parts. My goodness :eek:

Each time we visit WDW we spend one full day at Universal, we only do HP world and love it. This is time and money Disney could have received if they had done the deal with Ms Rowling. Oh well Universal certainly benefits from us because of HP, we may be loyal Disney fans but we are also loyal HP fans.

Be Our Guest for dinner

We love eating lunch there but in my opinion dinner was nothing special, took too long, and cost a lot (though to be fair lunch does as well). I honestly don't care if I ever eat dinner there again. Yet people rave about it and it books up at 180 days often lol-to each their own
I've been to Be Our Guest for dinner twice and I thought the food was amazing and the atmosphere very fun. I had lamb, it was wonderful.

Food and Wine tops the list for me. I know people love it but I just don't understand why.

I think one of the best things about a Disney vacation is there is plenty of things I like and when I skip the things I don't like or am just meh about (Illuminations and Fantasmic are key examples) I don't feel like I haven't done enough. And the more people doing the things I don't like the shorter the lines for the experiences that are my must do. Win win
Totally agree. We go in fall every year and walk right through and ignore it. I don't understand it. I guess I have a boring palate because it all looks gross to me. I also agree about fantasmic- don't get it. Every 5 years or so I revisit and nope, still don't like it.

Oh I have quite a list I don't know if I could pick one.

CRT is probably tops
F&W festival
Hoop de do
Fantasmic

Winnie the pooh- it's like a bad acid trip, I get it's for little ones but my girls even disliked it.
Omg I hate Winnie the Pooh. Probably the only ride on property I can say that about. I thought I was alone. I don't get it and can't imagine how it doesn't SCARE little kids. Not to mention some of those rooms look like amateur haunted house rooms. I can't believe the wait for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter