Incredibles 2

I think the film seemed "darker" because they were trying to appeal to older people...the same people who saw it when they were kids. I think that's also why they were comfortable using "profanity" as people call it. When I saw it, there wasn't a single child in the theater. Not kidding. Just teens, young adults, and adults. Just my opinion though. Lol.

Jack-Jack is great...even though I think they overdid it with him having so many super abilities.

I also think that they overdid it. Once they went down that path ... "he keeps spewing out new powers every 5 seconds" ... it became too random.

The screenwriters trapped themselves once they went down that path.

"What does Jack-Jack do now?"

"I don't know. Anything! Nothing. A little bit?"

Side note: my DD was upset that the family was unaware of Jack-Jack's powers because "he showed them in the last movie."

That's wrong because if you remember, the only witnesses to Jack-Jack's powers were the babysitter and Syndrome. And the house with its evidence of laser blasts was destroyed. The trouble is, 14 years is too long for most people to remember those details.

These are minor quibbles about a really great movie tho.

Side note: my DD was upset that the family was unaware of Jack-Jack's powers because "he showed them in the last movie."

That's wrong because if you remember, the only witnesses to Jack-Jack's powers were the babysitter and Syndrome. And the house with its evidence of laser blasts was destroyed. The trouble is, 14 years is too long for most people to remember those details.

They tried to stress, I felt, in the marketing of the film that it was to take place, basically right after the previous film left - so it wasn't like there were other opportunities for the family to see the powers.

But obviously 14 years is a while to keep things straight and not apply, at least some time, to have passed storyline wise as well (even if that wasn't' really the case)

I also think that they overdid it. Once they went down that path ... "he keeps spewing out new powers every 5 seconds" ... it became too random.

The screenwriters trapped themselves once they went down that path.

"What does Jack-Jack do now?"

"I don't know. Anything! Nothing. A little bit?"

Ha, my kids were having a problem with that, too - but we explained it away like you did.

Your post just made me realize that Decker would have still been someone to know about the powers - from the baby-sitter's story. It doesn't mean he told anyone, though...

I saw it opening weekend with my DBF and we both really enjoyed it. He is definitely one for action-superhero type movies so it was a hit for him, and I really loved the original and Jack-Jack so it was a hit for me, too. I didn't enjoy the strobe lights and I get migraines from those sort of things but I covered my eyes like many others did and it passed without too much of an issue.

RE: Bao...my thoughts are below but the internet seems to agree that there is a strong East Asian influence and the theme didn't resonate as much with western audiences.

DB is very into East Asian culture and we both found Bao to be emotional. The entire time that mom was helping him grow and learn and fixing him when his head got dented and then she was so upset with the thought of him leaving forever with his future wife....it was emotional for us. When she ate him we all laughed a little in the theater, my DBF and I because we have moms who were that emotional, and others did probably because they were confused. Then the tears started flowing once he showed back up with food for his mama and his (white) Fiancee was the pro dumping maker in the family.

We won't see it again in theaters but will be excited when the DVD comes out and we want a sequel with Jack-Jack and his powers!

From what I've read, the name Jack-Jack is a play on his "jack of all trades" powers. Violet control UV rays and Dash is literally a fast runner.

Your children are 3 & 5. Revisit Bao when they are leaving for college or getting married and you will better understand what the short is about. It is not about guilt tripping.

As someone who has a daughter in college, I thought it was about learning how to let go. The mom wants to keep her son with her and enjoys the relationship she has with him when he's small like your kids. As he grows, he naturally distances himself from his mom (I loved the teen Bao-boy, BTW) and hangs out with friends. Let me tell you, it's no fun when family takes the back seat to your children's friends and of course she is sad. When he finally becomes engaged she is afraid that she will lose him forever. So, she eats him to keep him with her always.

I found this that explains what the director was going for (there are some naughty words in the article):
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/bao-pixar-short-film-before-incredibles-2-explained

FWIW, I wrote my analysis before I read what the director was thinking :).
My son is 22.

And I saw it as a major guilt trip.

Guess what, children are suppose to leave their parents. That is what we are preparing them for, that is our job. We spend years getting them ready to step into the world on their own.

Maybe because my own MIL tried that stuff with my husband. Oh, how could he leave her. I mean, gee whiz, she didn't even like that girl he was hanging out with. Didn't he know that she had a nice girl all picked out for him? Her parents were friends of the family. Wouldn't that have worked out so nice? And then instead he brings home someone they don't even know! How could he.

Yes, you can be sad. But trying to keep him with her forever shows immaturity on her part, not his.

My son is 22.

Guess what, children are suppose to leave their parents. That is what we are preparing them for, that is our job. We spend years getting them ready to step into the world on their own.

Maybe because my own MIL tried that stuff with my husband. Oh, how could he leave her. I mean, gee whiz, she didn't even like that girl he was hanging out with. Didn't he know that she had a nice girl all picked out for him? Her parents were friends of the family. Wouldn't that have worked out so nice? And then instead he brings home someone they don't even know! How could he.

Yes, you can be sad. But trying to keep him with her forever shows immaturity on her part, not his.

I think that take is part of what the writers explaining the impact to the Chinese culture where the expectation is children stay with their parents until they get married - so why it might resonate differently with that community than with Western ones

Though I still think the best art can be appreciated by all people (just perhaps at different levels, in different ways) - I think it can be a lesson for both parents and kids. Parents to know that your kids will leave at some point and to be ready for that and to ready them for that - but also for kids to know it might be hard on your parents and that doesn't mean don't leave, but at least be sympathetic and aware of that

Read all responses so far. Loved the movie. For many reasons pp listed. I didn't notice the language at the time (16 and 18 year olds with me who saw the first.) I am sure if they were tiny tikes I would've noticed & I understand the comments about aging with the audience but also understand questioning the need for OMG etc. (Again, did not notice this one though I did notice the lighting reference.)

Regarding the BAO short- DD was confused about BAO; I enoyed it and I explained as above posters did. I also could relate & did think of the cultural take on it.
On a side note about BAO, I haven't seen anyone mention this but what about "The Gingerbread Boy?" Just in reference to the eating of the food part. It's a beloved story. We have a dozen versions we read and compare/contrast in Kdg. (teacher here.) The original form of that story can be disturbing too if you take it too literally. (Though several of the new versions have twists in which the gingerbread character does not get eaten.)

Last edited:
Same here. It didn't bother me. But it is unnecessary and I completely understand there are some people that are bothered by it. We watched Transformer: The Last Knight on Netflix the other night. My 8yr old loves Transformers. But wow all the language in that film. Again, it added nothing to the film. But she knows not to repeat.

I dunno, I don't go out of my way to show my kids movies with profanities in it but I don't really avoid it either unless it's really over the top. Growing up I watched plenty of movies with 'bad' words in it, I was just raised not to repeat them. The Goonies, Stand By Me, Iron Giant (coincidentally also a Brad Bird film), The Goonies had a joke about marijuana and cocaine and that was also rated PG. I think we are overall more sensitive to... uh, everything nowadays. I don't let my kids watch gory, scary movies full of F-Bombs or anything, but a "Damn" or "Hell" in a movie is not a deal-breaker for me. They know they are "grown-up words".

My son is 22.

Agree with this! (And I have personal experience as a "bao" myself. Not fun.)

I saw I2 while at Disney Springs the weekend after it opened. I did get to see it as a matinee in 3D for under $10. I about fell over. When was the last time you went to a movie for under $10? Anyway... I'm left the movie feeling flat. I'm pretty sure it's because the family behind me had kids who had not learned how to watch a movie in the theatre yet (though Mom was trying). So I kept having loud questions, followed by "Shh, you have to whisper", followed by the question again, followed by the answer. I didn't think of moving or asking for a refund at the time, because it didn't happen all that often. But it did happen often enough to pull me out of the movie mentally, though. So I'm going to need to see the movie again, but I'll what for it to come out on DVD or online.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. I absolutely loved Bao. I need to see it again.

Not sure why people get offended by everything all the time. It's called symbolism.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. I absolutely loved Bao. I need to see it again.

Not sure why people get offended by everything all the time. It's called symbolism.
But keep in mind, because someone didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean they were offended by it.

I can look at something and say, Wow, that was 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. Or, boy, that was dumb.

It doesn't mean that it offended me. It just meant that I didn't think it was worth the time and energy to produce it.

It's call opinion.

But keep in mind, because someone didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean they were offended by it.

I can look at something and say, Wow, that was 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. Or, boy, that was dumb.

It doesn't mean that it offended me. It just meant that I didn't think it was worth the time and energy to produce it.

It's call opinion.

Why did you think I was calling you out? There was an article on Oh My Disney about how offended people were by the short. My post had nothing to do with yours.

Why did you think I was calling you out? There was an article on Oh My Disney about how offended people were by the short. My post had nothing to do with yours.
Link? I'd be curious to read that, but when I did a search on Oh My Disney all it came up with was a couple of positive articles about how cute they thought the short was.

Link? I'd be curious to read that, but when I did a search on Oh My Disney all it came up with was a couple of positive articles about how cute they thought the short was.

It was a Facebook post by them. I'll see if I can dig it up when I'm not at work.

A couple of thoughts:

• Was anyone else shocked alcohol was brought up? Although she says drink, it kind of caught me off guard.
  • I did think it was too long, My 5 year old niece asked to leave early.
  • I liked the first movie better. This one seemed to drag at times.
  • She was also really confused by Bao. I, on the other hand loved it. I am middle eastern and my parents are very traditional, Bao was very familiar.
  • I have had seizures in the past and I had to cover my eyes at certain parts
  • I loved the very obvious hidden mickey.

Last edited:
I didn't indicate that you did.

Just that if someone doesn't enjoy the short, doesn't mean that they are "offended."

That word gets thrown around too much.

It wasn't Oh My Disney. It was Polygon. I was thinking of the pink color of the logo. My bad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter