indirect via boston? (terminal E to terminal C) in only 2 hours?

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
Has anyone had recent experience flying indirect via Boston?
I fly that way this weekend, albeit to detroit not orlando (boohoo).

i've never done indirect via boston before.

I arrive in terminal E and have to switch to terminal C (jet blue).

I have a 2 hour layover, which sounds terribly short to me. I usually try to leave 3 hours, but this is what the airline gave me.

Is it far from E to C?
Will i have to go through security again?

I'm thinking that maybe i should try to take only carry on so i don't have to wait for luggage.

We once had to pick up my DS from an international flight in terminal E, and my aunt from a domestic flight in terminal B at about the same time. - She was able to just hop on a shuttle bus from B to E and meet us there. (There are information booths with attendants who will tell you which shuttle to take.)

So the mechanics would be easy, but I don't know about doing it in two hours - as I think you would need to go through customs coming into E and security going out of C. I'd be concerned about your first flight being late or customs being busy.

We once had to pick up my DS from an international flight in terminal E, and my aunt from a domestic flight in terminal B at about the same time. - She was able to just hop on a shuttle bus from B to E and meet us there. (There are information booths with attendants who will tell you which shuttle to take.)

So the mechanics would be easy, but I don't know about doing it in two hours - as I think you would need to go through customs coming into E and security going out of C. I'd be concerned about your first flight being late or customs being busy.

thanks!
looking at the airport website, it seems that E and C are next to each other and you can walk from one to the other.
i'm sure the 2 hours is really a tough one because of having to clear customs, meaning having to wait for luggage and then having to recheck ..

i'm going to try to do carry on only. that will at least eliminate having to wait for luggage.
Immigration shouldn't be too bad since i'm an american. Hopefully that will speed things up.

There are two other jet blue flights to detroit, so if i miss this one, there's the chance of putting me on a later flight.
It's on one ticket, so it's the airlines problem to get me to detroit if i miss the flight.

should at least be interesting seeing a new airport.
i don't know how i've managed to avoid boston all these years...
somehow, this was the cheapest route...

thanks!
looking at the airport website, it seems that E and C are next to each other and you can walk from one to the other.
i'm sure the 2 hours is really a tough one because of having to clear customs, meaning having to wait for luggage and then having to recheck ..

i'm going to try to do carry on only. that will at least eliminate having to wait for luggage.
Immigration shouldn't be too bad since i'm an american. Hopefully that will speed things up.

There are two other jet blue flights to detroit, so if i miss this one, there's the chance of putting me on a later flight.
It's on one ticket, so it's the airlines problem to get me to detroit if i miss the flight.

should at least be interesting seeing a new airport.
i don't know how i've managed to avoid boston all these years...
somehow, this was the cheapest route...

Hi

I didn't have a transfer but when we went to Boston in August 2017 we cleared customs in no time probably took us about 10 minutes to get through. You should be fine. :)

figured i should update this information with my experience going through boston..
if you're planning on flying indirect via boston, be prepared for a very long line when you hit TSA before your connecting flight...
as i mentioned above, my international flight arrived in terminal E...
i cleared immigration very quickly and walked to terminal C...
but then i had to go through security for my domestic flight...
the line was longer than you thought possible...
even longer than orlando on its worst days...
it took me about 40 minutes to get through TSA, but because immigration was so speedy, i still had no problem making my second flight...

what time were your flights? are you TSA pre-check?

i'm really surprised to hear this, we are boston-based and typically get through bag check and security in under 20 minutes. but, we are global entry and tend to fly off-times (early mornings and late evenings) so I wonder if that contributed to your experience.

what time were your flights? are you TSA pre-check?

i'm really surprised to hear this, we are boston-based and typically get through bag check and security in under 20 minutes. but, we are global entry and tend to fly off-times (early mornings and late evenings) so I wonder if that contributed to your experience.

It definitely depends on which airline you're flying, and when you're flying.

I fly out of Boston for work several times a year. I find that the Southwest TSA lines (terminal A) tend to move pretty well. The Jetblue TSA lines (Terminal C) tend to be a lot less organized and take a bit longer. I have never waited more than 45 minutes in either line (counting from the moment I stepped into the TSA lines, going through the scan, and getting on my way to my plane on the other side) even on the worst day. I arrive enough ahead of time that getting pre-check was just not worth it, I've not missed a boarding yet :)

figured i should update this information with my experience going through boston..
if you're planning on flying indirect via boston, be prepared for a very long line when you hit TSA before your connecting flight...
as i mentioned above, my international flight arrived in terminal E...
i cleared immigration very quickly and walked to terminal C...
it took me about 40 minutes to get through TSA, but because immigration was so speedy, i still had no problem making my second flight...

I went out of Boston to Italy in April, from Detroit. I had a really terrible time and barely made it. I had to walk (no shuttles around) a really long way to the international departure terminal and there was a super LONG line at TSA. It was about 7 PM. I know that now, and would hope to never have to do that again. I barely made it to my flight, and had no stops for bathroom or even a glass of water. I think I had about 2.5 hours between the flights, but even so it was cutting it way to close when you wait so long at security after a very long walk to the terminal.

I was told that they were working on the moving walkways and shuttles, and that should make it faster, and maybe it has since then.

It definitely depends on which airline you're flying, and when you're flying.

I fly out of Boston for work several times a year. I find that the Southwest TSA lines (terminal A) tend to move pretty well. The Jetblue TSA lines (Terminal C) tend to be a lot less organized and take a bit longer. I have never waited more than 45 minutes in either line (counting from the moment I stepped into the TSA lines, going through the scan, and getting on my way to my plane on the other side) even on the worst day. I arrive enough ahead of time that getting pre-check was just not worth it, I've not missed a boarding yet :)

They didn't have precheck even available in the international terminal. And there were hundreds and hundreds of people. We had probably 200 or more just on our flight, and there were several gates with flights going out in about an hour time frame.

Maybe because it was a redeye to Rome (and Frankfurt and Amsterdam and maybe one or two others(?)) but no way could I have made it through there in 45 minutes.

They didn't have precheck even available in the international terminal. And there were hundreds and hundreds of people. We had probably 200 or more just on our flight, and there were several gates with flights going out in about an hour time frame.

Maybe because it was a redeye to Rome (and Frankfurt and Amsterdam and maybe one or two others(?)) but no way could I have made it through there in 45 minutes.

Gotcha - I imagine it's very different with international flights, I was more referring to the OP's comment about going through TSA for the domestic portion of their flight at terminal C. When flying domestically out of Boston, it's usually 45 minutes or less to get through TSA, more often that length of time at terminal C because of the way it's set up.

yes, my TSA experience was in terminal C for jet blue...
40 minutes is a VERY long time to wallow in TSA purgatory....
Detroit's delta terminal never ever gets to that length of time..
it's just something to consider when people go indirect from europe to orlando...

however, the reserve trip was actually very very easy, as i didn't have to cross security again,....
when i arrived on jet blue into terminal C, i was able to walk internally to terminal E for my international flight.....
no TSA at all....just straight to the gate...
very very easy...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!