Inexpensive Mental Health Solutions

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
My employer does not provide mental health coverage (which is crazy since its not a fly by night operation. its a major company with over 2k employees). Does anyone have recommendations of where I can look for a therapist/life coach/psychologist that would be affordable.. I think in order to get the appropriate help one must go more than once a month (possibly even week)... So I am looking for something that wont be extremely costly..

Our local Catholic Social Services and the local Jewish Community Center offer these services through United Way funding. They charge a nominal fee for services by licensed therapists and social workers.

Best of luck to you! You may want to check out your local United Way web page to see what may be offered. You can even give them a call to see who offers these services.

A lot of therapist work on a sliding scale. My husband found an awesome one who worked with out income.

My employer does not provide mental health coverage (which is crazy since its not a fly by night operation. its a major company with over 2k employees). Does anyone have recommendations of where I can look for a therapist/life coach/psychologist that would be affordable.. I think in order to get the appropriate help one must go more than once a month (possibly even week)... So I am looking for something that wont be extremely costly..
Contact your local NAMI (National Alliance On Mental Illness). They will be able to give you information on low cost and/or sliding scale providers in your area.

It might be hard to find a psychiatrist that works on a sliding scale, but I have had good experiences with Licensed Clinical Social Workers who will charge on a sliding scale. They can support and provide life skills coaching and talk therapy but for much less than a MD. The one I used after my mother passed was really helpful.

thanks.. I know the Psychiatrist would be costly.. I dont want to be medicated so I dont need one.. I would like just to talk to someone..

There will more than likely be a community based, non-profit organization that will have exactly what you're looking for. NAMI will certainly know of any in your area. Depending on your income, it might be no to very low cost to you.

There are some therapy apps that allow to to connect with someone. Some are licensed therapists and some are just trained. The costs vary on the apps but you could do your research.

Is there a university near you? My alma mater offers free counseling to the community. The therapists are psychology graduate students and the patients are filmed to be watched by professors as a teaching tool. I did this for a few months and found it helpful; like you I wanted to see someone but therapy is expensive. Hopefully you can find something similar in your area!

Call soon, because places by us are booked up for months in advance. Also double check if your medical insurance might cover a psychiatrist (since they are a medical professional) even though they don't cover counseling by a MSW, for example. Good luck to you, and don't give up!
Terri

If you are considered low income there might be options to pay based upon your salary. There is a nonprofit hospital in my nearest city that offers free or deeply discounted mental health services on a sliding scale.

If you are not low income, just looking to save some of your hard-earned money, maybe call some local therapists/counselors and explain that you don't have insurance and ask whether they will give you a discount for paying cash. Keep in mind that you may need to shop around to find a therapist that you mesh with. It's hard to open up to just anyone and therapists all have different styles, you need to find the right person.

Contact your local mental health association or social services.

Or if you dial 2-1-1 you should be able to get in touch with someone that can find you exactly what you need with low cost.
http://www.helplinecenter.org/2-1-1-community-resources/what-is-211/

If you are in immediate need of help go to the hospital. They will put you in touch with someone.

I trust those people about as far as I can throw a truck
There are trustworthy people in the church and that is coming from a Catholic living in the Buffalo diocese that has been shook to its core this year. I have even found out that one of my favorite priests has been accused yet my faith is strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter