Info needed on correcting a cross bite

bananiem

It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.<
My 6 year old ds has a crossbite and the orthodontist took impressions of his teeth this morning. We go back in a couple of weeks to discuss how to fix it. The assistant did say it's easier to fix at this age because it's still baby teeth and he won't have to have a temporary spacer put in the roof of his mouth.
What should I expect to hear at the next appoointment? Has anybody's kid's gone through this?
thanks!

My dd has an appliance that was cemented to her upper palate/teeth. There is a key, and you turn it once per day to widen the area. It is painful when you first turn the key but otherwise not to bad. After 2 months she has a very noticable space between her front teeth. One more month to go with the turning. It cost me about 750 dollars all together and does not guarantee that she will not need braces later. But I can always hope. If they have already done impressions, my best guess is you will not be discussing what to do next, but getting the appliance next. We discussed first and took impressions 2nd.

My son had the same appliance for crossbite. He had teeth pulled at age 7, the appliance at age 8 and braces at age 9.

We also had an expander for DS. It was no big deal, he said it felt funny when we turned the little key.

My twins will be getting them next year...both have crossbites, and one has an overbite and one and underbite...lots of fixing. Good luck!!

Thanks for all the responses.
I was under the impression today that since he's younger we wouldn't have to do the spacer appliance. The assistant mentioned something about slightly grinding down a couople of baby teeth so he won't have to "shift" his jaw to close properly.
Anybody with experience with this?? :(

Not that, but DD#1 had a Y Bar put in and a spacer--since she was young we only needed to turn it for about a month--she now just has a Y Bar in preparation for braces if she ever needs them. She had a 6 month check last week and he said he's still waiting for more permanent teeth--she's 10 now.
I wish he'd give me an $$$ estimate because I'm hearing from all sorts of people how overpriced her ortho. is, and as soon as I get a figure I'm getting a second opinion. My dental coverage has a $1000 LIFETIME cap on orthodontia--not much!!
Robin M.

I'm quite a bit older than your DS, but I had the teeth grinding thing done a couple of months ago: I think it's called occlusion. Only a a very slight amount was taken off - but I was shocked at what a huge difference it made in my bite. I didn't even notice how bad my bite was until after I had the occlusion done, I guess it was like that for so long I'd grown accustomed to it.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter