Info on ride line pass for autistic child

My dd28 and her df25 are going for a 3 day trip after Thanksgiving. 3 days is all her friend can handle at a time. Both girls have the same heart condition which causes fati gue and fainting as well as blood pressure and heart rate issues. They both look like healthy young women. One cannot work or drive - thankfully my dd still can. My dd will get a GAC card but they will be sharing a ECV. I'm sure they will get some nasty looks and comments but my dd's friend knows she wont be able to walk all of the time but wants to walk as much as she can.

A lawn chair on wheels is actually what Disney recommends. If standing in the long lines is too tiring for anyone in the family, they suggest you do rent a wheelchair. I really don't see anything wrong with a family getting one & switching off. I personally think it's smart.

Kellykins1218 said:
A lawn chair on wheels is actually what Disney recommends. If standing in the long lines is too tiring for anyone in the family, they suggest you do rent a wheelchair. I really don't see anything wrong with a family getting one & switching off. I personally think it's smart.

I think its fine if it's really needed but to make other families move because you have a wheelchair ( just because) is not fair. They could have been waiting for the parade the same time we started waiting.

They still might have had a legitimate reason for using the chair. Many people, including some in my own family, refuse to acknowledge they have medical/ stamina issues. I could easily see them making a joke about the chair when they do in fact have a need for it. How they look to others is riculously important to them. What you think you see isn't always the whole story.

Kellykins1218 said:
They still might have had a legitimate reason for using the chair. Many people, including some in my own family, refuse to acknowledge they have medical/ stamina issues. I could easily see them making a joke about the chair when they do in fact have a need for it. How they look to others is riculously important to them. What you think you see isn't always the whole story.

They made it obvious it wasn't needed for medical reasons. I have a DD who gets tired very quickly....but I would never make someone feel bad for her or go out of their way.

They made it obvious it wasn't needed for medical reasons. I have a DD who gets tired very quickly....but I would never make someone feel bad for her or go out of their way.

We just had a trip like this. I have a back/neck/leg injury, and had trouble standing for long periods. The kids were "ballast" when I was pushing (my dd gets very stressed in crowds). My mother used it because her knees hurt from all the walking. My Dad sat in it sometimes (he still walks with a limp from being hit by a car a couple years ago, but is too stubborn to use his own assistance device).

Yes, we traded off. Frequently. I could stand for a little, and sometimes needed to stand to stretch the muscles in my back and change the tension on my nerves. Yes, we joked about it being the best ride in Disney world. Yes, we joked about it getting us in first everywhere (it didn't). Yes, we joked about always having a place to sit. Yes, we will do it again, even when I don't have a back injury, because my parents and child benefited so much from a place to sit when their bodies had had enough.

We wouldn't call it a lawn chair on wheels, but we did call it all manner of other things. I joked around, trying to push myself fast enough that my family couldn't catch up to start pushing. We'd say "Hey, wheelchair-lady! I'll push you! This is where you wanted to go, right?" We played "run-away wheelchair" when there weren't people in the way.

And yet, when I tried to go without it? I had to take percocet and muscle relaxants just to be in little enough pain I could move. Appearance isn't always reality.

dawnball said:
We just had a trip like this. I have a back/neck/leg injury, and had trouble standing for long periods. The kids were "ballast" when I was pushing (my dd gets very stressed in crowds). My mother used it because her knees hurt from all the walking. My Dad sat in it sometimes (he still walks with a limp from being hit by a car a couple years ago, but is too stubborn to use his own assistance device).

Yes, we traded off. Frequently. I could stand for a little, and sometimes needed to stand to stretch the muscles in my back and change the tension on my nerves. Yes, we joked about it being the best ride in Disney world. Yes, we joked about it getting us in first everywhere (it didn't). Yes, we joked about always having a place to sit. Yes, we will do it again, even when I don't have a back injury, because my parents and child benefited so much from a place to sit when their bodies had had enough.

We wouldn't call it a lawn chair on wheels, but we did call it all manner of other things. I joked around, trying to push myself fast enough that my family couldn't catch up to start pushing. We'd say "Hey, wheelchair-lady! I'll push you! This is where you wanted to go, right?" We played "run-away wheelchair" when there weren't people in the way.

And yet, when I tried to go without it? I had to take percocet and muscle relaxants just to be in little enough pain I could move. Appearance isn't always reality.

I do understand all of that. I'm sure most of the people using them trully need them. My point is we got to where we wanted to be standing at the parade and moved for them. I'm just saying don't use it for people to feel sorry for you and go out of the way.

My point is we got to where we wanted to be standing at the parade and moved for them. I'm just saying don't use it for people to feel sorry for you and go out of the way.

Yeah, but not asking people to go out of their way for you applies regardless of why you're using them, or how much you need it.

I'm sorry that you feel like you got a "bad deal" by moving for the family - regardless of why they had a wheelchair.

dawnball said:
Yeah, but not asking people to go out of their way for you applies regardless of why you're using them, or how much you need it.

I'm sorry that you feel like you got a "bad deal" by moving for the family - regardless of why they had a wheelchair.

I don't mind moving for anyone as long as my children can see the parade and the people who just pushed our family away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter