Insect Repellant in Dec?!

E

erikthewise

We will definitely take sunscreen, but does one need insect repellent at WDW in December? Seems unlikely to those of us in the middle latitudes.

I have been at WDW twice in December and never needed it. You may see a few bugs at night away from the crowds but nothing worth spraying yourself with repelent.:bounce:

Is sun screen needed in the middle of December if the temp is only in the low 70's? How many of you would use sun screen in December? We leave in 14 days.

No bug spray but definitely take sunscreen. It is cooler and the sun is at an angle but you can still get a burn. Always wear sunscreen even on a cloudy day.

You can always get burned in Florida. Especially if there are light clouds... seems the sun's rays are intensified.

In any case, definately bring the sunscreen, but "can" the bug spray. lol

:)

Was in the World 12/2-12/12 and stayed at the Yacht and Beach resort. On the 4th a letter was left in our room concerning the mosquito infestation during Dec., suggesting that your legs and arms should be covered or the use of repellant in those areas. From my experience t, the ankles are the most prone to bites, no see ems or sand mites, I notices quite a few people with bites in these areas and on the arms. I have a few my self and our daughter is a CM in EPCOT and her legs are bitten a bit. Sun screen was not use during our stay andthe temps were in the 80's but the bug juice was a must. Slap it on and be secure and the same with the sun screen, they said the temps were exceptional this time of year, 10-12 degrees warmer, which we appreciated but the bugs were new to us. Hope this helps and have a wonderful and safe trip to the Greatest Place on Earth.

We were there at Thanksgiving and never needed insect repellent, but I've seen several posts saying that people have needed it more recently. I would probably take it just to be safe. For ease of packing, I would take a liquid spray and pack it in a sealed freezer bag.

Definitely take sun screen. You can can get burned during the day anywhere, any time. You just don't usually spend hours outdoors when it's under 80 degrees. DH didn't wear sunscreen at first when we were there last time, and he ended up getting burned.

We just returned yesterday from 8 days at WDW, and have never gotten as many bug bites as we did on this trip! My 8yo ds has half a dozen large welts on his face from bites, as well as several on his legs. I ended up with several on my legs and face, too, as did a friend who was traveling with us. One night I smacked something on my leg and ended up with a *huge* smear of blood -- it was absolutely disgusting!

Next December, we will be packing and *using* the bug spray!!

We we're there the first week in December, 3 of our party of 4 was bitten. 2 trips in early June, no big bites at all. It didn't even occur to us to bring insect repellant, it was an itchy mistake.

Well, just returned and we had no problems with bugs or bites. To be sure we didn't spend a lot of time outside after dark; mostly at Polynesian resort and Epcot. Thanks for advice, everyone!

You may well be right, phowdershell. We didn't swim after dark, just watched fireworks and walked from place to place.

We got back 4 days ago and my advice is BRING THE BUG SPRAY! My legs were covered with bites. The temps were in the mid 80's during the day and low 70's, upper 60's at night. It never even crossed my mind to bring spray, and boy did I regret it.

I found that we did not need suntan lotion at all on the days we went to the parks. I guess going in and out of all the rides limited our sun exposure. But I did start to burn one afternoon when we spent the day relaxing at the pool. My advice: if you're spending time at the pool, bring the lotion.

One other note: I had what I thought was a mosquito bite on my finger...it started out red/itchy and with a pus filled bump in the center. The next day it looked as though it was filling with blood. It was a big round area that was bright red. Disney called the EMT's for me and luckily, one of them recognized it as an ant bite. He showed me his scars and says he gets bitten all the time. I use the word luckily only because I was just so nervous looking at it. Once I knew I'd be ok, I was able to relax and forget about it. All the other Disney people I showed it to said I should go to a doctor immediately. I didn't want to waste 2or 3 hours of my vacation time at the doctor. So, if any of you get some wierd red, blood filled blister looking thing on your body, it may just be an ant bite!

Wetts1!!! So THAT is what is on my foot -- an ant bite!! LOL

I went to the dr. the other day 'cuz the darn thing just looks so ugly (just exactly what you described) and wasn't getting better. She gave me a steroid cream and antihistamines. She had no idea what might've bitten me -- the mystery is solved! Thanks! ;)

We just returned from 9 days at the Dolphin on Dec 16th, my advice, bring some bug spray! Myself and my DD (4) were covered in mosquito bites and DD is allergic to them, so they got infected since we didn't think there would be that many mosquitoes out! You may end up not needed it, but just in case!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter