inside the animal kingdom lodge

mickeyworld

DIS Veteran
We are planning a two night stop over this June to Disney and decided to splurge and stay at AKL. I've read alot but would like to hear from someone who stayed there about activites in the lodge. I'm going with my 2 DD and 73 yr young mom. We are frequent visitors but still love the parks to death and want to be sure there are things worth doing inside the lodge before we give up a minute in the parks. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

Hi there...

What makes AKL unique to the other Disney Resorts is it African theming throughout.

It is a very relaxing place to be and certainly not a GO GO GO kind of place... it is cosy and puts you at ease with it's earth tones and natural elements.

There is a daily tour (3pm I think) which takes you through the inspirations for designing and building the resort with some behind the scenes info.. also shows you the extensive African Art that is throughout the hotel

If you have a savanna view room - you can enjoy mornings or evenings realxing on your balcony and watching the animals around you. They provide a sheet to tick off what animals you see with their names and descriptions.

You can use the night vision goggles at night to see the animals on the savanna. These are found on an observation area off the lobby.

The hotel gives you a weekly activity guide for whats happening when you are there.

There are many other viewing areas throughout the hotel - and you can see differnt animals on different savannas.

Everyday there is Flamingo feeding and Pelican feeding (two separate events) and you can watch.

There are African guides throughout the Arusha area who will tell you about the animals and answer any questions you may have.

The pool area is wonderful place to relax and have a swim or use the hot tubs.

There is the health club....

Jiko is a fine dining restaurant and Bomo is a buffet more casual dinner/breakfast that has some great dishes.

At 7:30pm there is storytelling around the fire pit.

You can take the hidden mickey safari sheet and follow the clues to find the hidden mickeys hidden throughout the hotel.

The giftshop has some interesting items...hand made/carved/painted by Arfican artisans.

Personally I think AKL has as much to do if not more that any other resort at Disney maybe only lacking in the watersports that you can get at the MK resorts.

The bus transportatin is excellent with very regualr service to all parks and direct service - not sharing with other resorts.

I have some photos of our trrip to AKL on my website link below...

I hope you give it a try one day

>>^..^<<

This was what was on, daily, when I was there in December:

Track the Animals - 9:30 at Arusha Rock

Flamingo Feedings - 9:30 at Uzima Savanna

Spirit of Africa Art Tour - 11:00 at Ogun's Firepit

Cookie Decoration - 13:00 at Bomas

Pelican Feeding - 13:00 at Arusha Rock

Culinary Tour of Africa - 16:00 at Ogun's Firepit

Poolside Activitiies - 16:30 at Uzima Pool

Storytelling - 18:30 at Arusha Rock Firepit

Games with Savanna Guides - 19:30 at Sunset Overlook

Cultural Safari - 20:30 at Sunset Overlook

Night Vision Tracking - 22:00 at Arusha Rock

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter