Inspired by TinkBell...another hair ?

mrsv98

Gracie's Mama, Certified chicken wrangler
ok, last Sat (week ago), I had my semi-annual perm. I have naturaly curly hair that is fine and tends to get frizzy. I get it professionally permed twice a year to add body and keep it from looking messy. My hair "takes" a perm really fast, my stylist only leaves the solution on for 12 mins. So I have it done last Sat and it looks nice, all good so far. I don't wash it until Mon as recommended, ok. By Wed, I realize that it doesn't look right and now, a week later, the perm has completely fallen out, it looks the same as it did last week before I had it done! So has this happened to anyone else? Can I get it re-permed and if so, how soon without frying my hair? This is the third perm I have had with this stylist and I have always liked her work. Of course, she is on vacation much of this week so I thought I would turn to the "pros" of the DIS for help!

Thanks for all your help!

Having naturally wavy/frizzy hair I dont have much advice for you, but could you be pregnant? My hairdresser told me a story of how she gave a client a perm and what happened to you, happened to her. The hairdresser thought that might have happened if she were pregnant. Turns out she was but didnt know it yet! The reason she told me this was because she also told me I was pregnant before I knew(only about 9 days after I conceived) from the way my hair was.
Good luck with the hair!

could you be pregnant? My hairdresser told me a story of how she gave a client a perm and what happened to you, happened to her.

I had a perm during my first pregnancy, I think I was around 3 months along, anyway apparently it's common for the perm to not take during pregnancy.

They offered to re-perm it free of charge after I delivered if the perm didn't take.

They didn't have to, it was actually one of the best perms I have ever had!

LOL, I am NOT pg, but thanks for giving me a giggle and my DH a coronary!! ;)

I am thinking that maybe the extreme heat and humidity we have been having may have something to do with it. It was really hot the day I had it done and then we walked around an art fair later that day so maybe that had something to do with it. I just hope my stylist will redo it without charge so I don't have to fuss about it.

Thanks for the input!

ok, bumping one last time

anyone, anyone, Bueller? anyone?

I have very thin, fine, straight hair that's very resistant to perms. :( A few years ago I had a perm fall out and had to have it redone. I think I waited about a week or so before she redid it and it turned out great. It didn't fry my hair, although I did have some breakage, but I think that had more to do with the fact that my hair is very fragile than anything else. I don't know if this would help you, but before she perms my hair she puts this stuff on my hair....I'm not sure what it's called....Pre-Art...something like that. Anyway, I believe it's supposed to strip all the gunk (doncha just love my technical terms) out of your hair, making it easier for the chemicals to take.

I also had my hair permed at the very end of my last pregnancy. The interesting thing was that it did fall out (the perm, not my hair!), but only about 4 inches right at the top...the rest of it took fine. It seemed like only the hair that grew out while I was pregnant was affected by the pregnancy hormones.

Kim

Naturally curly or wavey hair takes two to three times tighter then non curly hair. But takes the same amount of time to process. Instead of leaving the saloution on less time I would suggest bigger rods. The only time you process for less time is if your perocity is changed with color or bleach!!

Just agreeing with Tnkrbell. :D
Most perms are self timing these days so usually you just adjust the size of the rod and the perm does its thing in the suggested time. I hope you don't have any problems getting it redone either.
Also, the heat and humidity of your day should have nothing to do with whether that perm stays in or not. good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter